Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

1 hour ago, futureman said:

this is awesome. 

I just re-watched Chernobyl  on HBO two days ago. 

I don't think it works like that.  It might be a magic trick.

I also spent a month (after watching Chernobyl the first time) learning about nukular stuff, because I realized I didn't understand it well, which bothered me as an engineer and a man.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I also spent a month (after watching Chernobyl the first time) learning about nukular stuff, because I realized I didn't understand it well, which bothered me as an engineer and a man.

no I’m pretty sure it works like that. I got an A in physics 301 in 2004. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

no I’m pretty sure it works like that. I got an A in physics 301 in 2004. 

Who did you're homework for you?  Not an easy A.  Although I did get several other A's in thermo and orbital mechanics.  

53 minutes ago, Elvis said:

It's pretty simple. Fission creates heat. Heat boils water. Water turns to steam. Steam runs turbine. Turbine creates electricity. 

Stopping fission is also easy. Until it isn't. 

(Qualification: Nuclear Engineer. I don't remember 99% of it now, though)

It's pretty simple. Fission creates heat. Heat boils water. Water turns to steam. Steam runs turbine. Turbine creates electricity. 
Stopping fission is also easy. Until it isn't. 
(Qualification: Nuclear Engineer. I don't remember 99% of it now, though)

Most commercial reactors are not designed to (intentionally) boil water.

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

"Snorkel?"

"Scuba?"  

"Submerge?" 

Goddamit, it's "SWORD" not 'S' WORD!  Pull me in! 

He can’t just surface either. He has to stage up to decompress, which will take a while from that depth. I can’t tell where the fish stuck him, but don’t see a blood trail. 

Edit:  looks like it all turned out ok in the end. He was uninjured. Could have been a very different story, though. At that depth, saturation diving, little issues can easily become catastrophes. 
https://divernet.com/scuba-diving/swordfish-gets-stuck-on-diver-at-222m/

Edited by nnm

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Indeed

These onboard chambers are pressurized to the depth at the seafloor where the divers are working. This pressure, known as “storage depth,” is typically too deep to dive using air, so the divers breathe a mix of helium and oxygen called heliox. Below 500 feet, heliox can cause high-pressure nervous syndrome (HPNS), which is characterized by tremors. To combat this, a small amount of nitrogen is included in the breathing mix. Its narcotic effect at depth helps reduce the tremors.

The high helium content presents a few challenges. Anyone who has inhaled the gas from a helium balloon knows it makes you sound like a cartoon chipmunk. In a hyperbaric chamber, your voice also changes because of increased air density, and the combination of helium and increased density make for voices that are really hard to understand. Thus, saturation diving operations use voice descramblers so divers can be understood.

Helium is a tiny molecule with poor thermal properties, which means it is easy to breathe but strips heat from the diver with every exhalation. Because of this, the temperature of the living quarters must be kept high to prevent hypothermia. Temperatures can be in the range of 85°F–93°F, depending on depth. When the divers are in the water working, they wear hot-water suits, which are similar to wetsuits but have tubes with hot water continuously running through them to keep the divers warm

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

Indeed

These onboard chambers are pressurized to the depth at the seafloor where the divers are working. This pressure, known as “storage depth,” is typically too deep to dive using air, so the divers breathe a mix of helium and oxygen called heliox. Below 500 feet, heliox can cause high-pressure nervous syndrome (HPNS), which is characterized by tremors. To combat this, a small amount of nitrogen is included in the breathing mix. Its narcotic effect at depth helps reduce the tremors.

The high helium content presents a few challenges. Anyone who has inhaled the gas from a helium balloon knows it makes you sound like a cartoon chipmunk. In a hyperbaric chamber, your voice also changes because of increased air density, and the combination of helium and increased density make for voices that are really hard to understand. Thus, saturation diving operations use voice descramblers so divers can be understood.

Helium is a tiny molecule with poor thermal properties, which means it is easy to breathe but strips heat from the diver with every exhalation. Because of this, the temperature of the living quarters must be kept high to prevent hypothermia. Temperatures can be in the range of 85°F–93°F, depending on depth. When the divers are in the water working, they wear hot-water suits, which are similar to wetsuits but have tubes with hot water continuously running through them to keep the divers warm

tumblr_5b68b39bb2487ef59f393ca8bc8ab275_5fc182ca_540.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Had to go to hospital next day -- has back fractures.  A GoFundMe has been set up...   GoFundMe for Leon here.

But on Thursday Jaimes said Leon showed up to school for the first time since the viral incident and had to leave early with back pain.

“He said ‘my back has been hurting, it started hurting last night,'” she recalled.

Fort Worth dealership gifting new truck to teen caught in tornado

That’s when Leon’s mom came to pick him up and took him to the hospital where doctors found fractures to the teen’s back, according to Jaimes, who has been in contact with the family throughout the day Thursday.

The nurse is raising money to help the family pay for any medical bills. You can find the  GoFundMe for Leon here.

4 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Crash, seriously...how do we know the video will embed with the sound ON?  Sorry if any of mine embedded with sound on, but I can't tell if they'll do that. So just post link or is there a way to turn off auto sound in reddit and then post embedded video? 

95% of the reddit gifs which have sound will auto play with sound on sulry when you embed the video. the ones which don't auto play, specifically the NSFW/L ones will not auto play on here without clicking on the embedded video. at least that's been my experience. some of the gyphy links will auto play on here but without sound.

you can usually tell after you copy the link. give it few seconds and it should autoplay. if it has sound, then you should change to link only.

what i do is search through the reddit thread for a save link. it's usually 50/50 on if their will be a save video link. for those, i just follow the link, save the video, and upload the .mp4. those uploaded mp4s will not autoplay. sometimes in reddit, you can right click and save directly as an mp4.