Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, GRHorn said:

First of all, nobody was raped.

Nobody corroborated her story.  He said/she said from 35 years ago for somebody with an otherwise sterling rep. It’s not shocking that it’s discounted. 

Sterling rep?  Perjury during congressional testimony?  You've set the sterling rep bar fairly low.  Even supporters of his said he lied yesterday about several items.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The mistake you are making is that you think it's being discounted.

It isn't.

Discounted as in, not disqualifying him for job. 

1 minute ago, Pancho Negro said:

R&R--rape and racism

Your party. 

Congrats bro!  You did it!

More nonsensical jibberish like I saw online all day yesterday. Take a day or two to step away and regroup. The sun’ll come out tomorrow. 

Just now, GRHorn said:

That’s a theory. Can’t be proven or disproved by anybody. 

They got this guy in Germany, Fritz Something-or-other. Maybe it's Werner.  Anyway, he's got this theory. You wanna test something, you know, scientifically - how the planets go round the sun, what sunspots are made of, why the water comes out of the tap.  Well, you gotta look at it.  But sometimes you look at it, your looking changes it. You can't know the reality of what happened, or what would've happened if you hadn't-a stuck in your own goddamn schnozz. 

So, with respect to Ford's allegation, there is no "what happened," not in any sense that we can grasp with our puny minds, because our minds — our minds get in the way. Looking at something changes it. They call it the "Uncertainty Principle."  Sure, it sounds screwy, but even Einstein says the guy's on to something.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sterling rep?  Perjury during congressional testimony?  You've set the sterling rep bar fairly low.  Even supporters of his said he lied yesterday about several items.

Over his entire career to this point was my point. He was selected as nominee because he had a shitty rep. 

Fall 2016:  Doesn’t it concern you about the timing of the releasing of these emails and the Kremlin’s attack on our elections?

GOP: “Yes, but what’s important is what is in the emails.  It doesn’t matter when they came out or how”

Fall 2018:  Doesn’t it concern you that your nominee is facing very credible and damaging sexual assault allegations?

GOP: “Yes but look at the timing of these allegations and the political motivations behind these women coming forward.”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Discounted as in, not disqualifying him for job. 

More nonsensical jibberish like I saw online all day yesterday. Take a day or two to step away and regroup. The sun’ll come out tomorrow. 

Step away and regroup about what? What I've be watching and researching over the last month about this confirmation and what it stands for? Rape and Racism.  Your party.  Congrats

giphy.gif

Just saw a report that Donnelly is a no.  If there is a pact, then that could be huge.  It would make sense that they gave Flake a pass in committee and will deal with this on the floor.

Again, lot of whispers flying around town today, so treat it with a whole shaker of salt.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, he disqualified himself for the job. It just doesn't matter to Republican senators.

It's going to matter to voters.

We’ll see.  I don’t think Dem voters are any more engaged today than they were 2 weeks ago. They’ve been throwing a temper tantrum for going on 2 years. 

On the other hand, people who have been put off by Trump could be more willing to come back to the fold and support Rs after all the theatrics. 

The fun part is we’ll be able to tell after the midterms how it affected everything. 

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I don’t have time to fact check drinking games or names for farting. I’ll take you at your word. I guess he was dishonest during that hearing about some small details. Maybe were they “gaps” in his memory?

Jesus Christ this line of "reasoning" gets tiring.

If a man will lie about the most inconsequential things, what do you think he'll do when something important comes down the pike?  Just in case you were wondering (and Kavanaugh knows this like he knows the back of Christine Blasey's one-piece swimsuit, oops) -- "boofing" is anal sex, not farting, and "Devil's Triangle" is a 2 man 1 woman 3-way, not a fucking drinking game.  These are not regionally differing definitions.  They are nearly universal, with possible variations over time, but I know the definitions he knows, because he is about 1 year younger than me.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Another interesting chart.

atd-kennedy-2-full.png?w=1024

Yeah, and look at Kennedy's record. The dude is no liberal. Citizens United is about as anti-left as it gets.

This chart also shows exactly what I said, Roberts at the middle will not be more conservative than most of our lives.

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Just saw a report that Donnelly is a no.  If there is a pact, then that could be huge.  It would make sense that they gave Flake a pass in committee and will deal with this on the floor.

Again, lot of whispers flying around town today, so treat it with a whole shaker of salt.

I mean, I hope so, but I'm skeptical.

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This must be a tough political call for several senators.   you can't tell me they're huddling with their campaign managers to understand how this might be received.

Just now, kevwun said:

He lied about watching Ford's testimony.  What purpose did that serve?  He just likes to lie.

You will not get a response from a Republican. They'll skim past this post, or just block it out. They don't have the courage to reflect and take responsibility for their thoughts or actions. 

Just now, 4th&Five said:

Cruz lecturing about tribalism. Fuck off, bitch.

Going over to donate more money to Beto. 

Sometimes you have to stand up for what is right and go against your party.  Like when a man insults your wife and claims your dad helped to assassinate a President.

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This must be a tough political call for several senators.   you can't tell me they're huddling with their campaign managers to understand how this might be received.

This vote, yes or no, is going to end the political careers of some of these folks. They know that. This is the most consequential vote they will take as it pertains to their electoral fate.

7 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

They aren't going to do shit, especially Flake.  That cunt will NEVER stand up for what's right, he'll just tweet about it after the fact.

Much of this has to do with where McConnell can apply pressure, and unfortunately for him, he has very little leverage with either Murkowski or Collins.  McConnell is about as popular and effective in Alaska as Obama.  And Collins will do whatever Collins wants.  Flake, otoh, is one of the poorer Senators.  If he's gonna cash in after retirement, he's gotta stay in Mitch's good graces. 

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I can understand that point of view, but here's where I woke up on things this morning:

1) I can't know for sure what happened between Kavanaugh and Ford, if anything.

2) I believed her.

3) Kavanaugh said two things yesterday I know for a fact to be false during the hearing that have nothing to do with sexual assault.

4) He is deeply rooted in the partisan-industrial complex.

I've said elsewhere that if I was a Senator I would approach advise and consent from the standpoint that matters of philosophy and views on the constitution are within the prerogative of the executive doing the appointing, and I would approve or not on the basis of character, temperament and quality. Kavanaugh fails on those three, regardless of whether he assaulted Dr. Ford. 

Came here to post pretty much exactly the same thing. Would add that the refusal to have an investigation reeks of coverup.

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I hope it never happens but if I am ever put in a position where my only two options are being gang raped or being gang grandstanded by Democrat Senators I will take the rape.  It will be over sooner and my ears won't hurt as much.

And that's why you're a stupid piece of shit who had to attend K State.  Sit down and let the ethical adults take it from here.

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

A man admitting to grabbing pussies on tape didn't in a direct election. I doubt a murky scandal for a SCOTUS confirmation is going to do too much damage.

Disagree with this take.  Trump lost the popular votes by millions and Kavanaugh isn’t running against Hillary Clinton.  He’s running against any other qualified jurist.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They aren't going to do shit, especially Flake.  That cunt will NEVER stand up for what's right, he'll just tweet about it after the fact.

His seems worse on the surface than the other Republicans. At least they're grandstanding calling it a travesty and refuting everything. Flake is admitting that he doesn't fully believe BK but he's going to put him in the SCOTUS for life anyway.

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Donnelly just posted he's a no.

Last night it was reported Donnelly/Manchin/Collins/Murkowski are all going to vote the same way.  This could be a good sign, but at the end of the day, I expect Collins to vote yes because she's spineless.

Flake is the worst kind of politician.  He knows what is right and loves to talk about it every time a microphone in his face, but he never actually has the courage to go through with it.  On the spectrum of terrible politicians, he is on one end and Cruz is on the other.

Edited by kevwun

what i took out of yesterday, was not the guilt or innocence or the he said she said, but it was his lack of professionalism.  his anger, his evasiveness, his slippery, slimy self.  putting him on the bench weakens the credibility of the supreme court.  it's always been held high, with honor and reverence, and lack of bias.  this dude is a biased pissed angry sonofabitch.  fuck him.  he deserves nothing, certainly not the respect that comes with the position he seeks.  

• Like 2