Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

I never said Dems could screw this so bad. 

I think they've been brilliant throughout this whole thing. They've taken a pound of flesh from the GOP. This confirmation will doom a number of Republican senators.

The Ford hearing and aftermath have laid the foundation in public consciousness for a substantive investigation into Brett's lying on any number of things to Congress, many of which are plainly obvious today.

Go ahead and confirm him.  It will not end well.

5 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

The Ford hearing and aftermath have laid the foundation in public consciousness for a substantive investigation into Brett's lying on any number of things to Congress, many of which are plainly obvious today.

Wants more government 

but believes the government orchestrated  9/11

Edited by EuroHorn

5 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

This is why a jury of your peers should scare everyone. No evidence necessary, emotion wins. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Wants more government 

but believes the government orchestrated  9/11

If a government holding itself accountable to telling the truth is "more government," you should want more government too.

This is the second time I can recall that you've lobbed made up truther shit.  funny that.  you mad.  

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There’s a John McCain moment here for the Republican that wants it.  The whole country is watching and that is a huge opportunity to pass up for anyone intending a political future post Trump. 

Sorry bro, partisan politics out front should have told you the park is closed. 

38 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The classmate said that “Brett Kavanaugh had made up a rhyme using the REE NATE pronunciation of Renate’s name” and sang it in the hallways on the way to class. He recalled the rhyme going, “REE NATE, REE NATE, if you want a date, can’t get one until late, and you wanna get laid, you can make it with REE NATE.” He said that, while he might not be remembering the rhyme word-for-word, “the substance is 100 percent accurate.” He added, “I thought that this was sickening at the time I heard it, and it left an indelible mark in my memory.”

tumblr_oi5n82xH0d1ro732no1_1280.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It’s easy to give the Dems credit, and they deserve some credit for blowing this thing wide-open as far as the public conscious is concerned.  

But damn have the Republicans been amazingly incompetent and tone-deaf. The incompetence is stunning. Mitch should have been able to push Kavanaugh through two weeks ago.

but they are just going to keep blaming the Dems on this one. 

1 minute ago, Gengs1 said:

This is perfectly executed, it does 2 things

1. Gets him to supreme court

2. Undermines the FBI like trump says so when they go after him he just points to the report 

I hope Justice O'Kavanaugh gets all twitchy and cry at his hearings before the House Judiciary Committee.

6 hours ago, Jag102 said:

Yea, that's your published rate, not a single one of your clients pays that rate. Why don't you just go ahead and say your rate is $9000 an hour, your still gonna get the same amount, not that, please. I like the statment "Even if he is completely innocent...", if he is innocent, then he gets the job. You don't like the way he defended his innocence, so he gets the same result as if he was guilty. Is that justice...?

* you’re

Some of y’all give the electorate WAY too much credit.  The confirmation won’t cost the GOP shit in the midterms.

General public:  “Dems were really going after this guy.  He ended up on SCOTUS.  Dems must have been wrong about him and just being assholes I guess.”

Thats the extent of analysis from the morons that comprise a huge swath of voters.  Most Americans couldn’t name 3 SCOTUS cases if asked, and y’all think that some “judicial temperament” or”forced cloture without comprehensive vetting” shit is going to resonate with them.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Link?

Listening to a local radio station yesterday on the way home from work, and they were talking with A reporter (didn't catch his name) about the upcoming races. He was expressing surprise at that, and thought just the opposite would have been happening with Trump in office.

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

It's all about credibility when it's a he-said she-said.  He lied like a motherfucker about a ton of shit.  Why should I believe somebody that tells me that they've never been blackout drunk when they have just lied about everything from a Devil's Triangle to having no connection to Yale?

Why should you believe an accuser who Lied about her fear of flying and preparing people for polygraphs tests?

So wait, the FBI conducted an investigation and was not allowed to talk to the either the accused or the accuser? Give me a fucking break.

I don’t know if that’s true or not, but they both just testified in front of the committee. What else would the FBI have asked them?

This is sort of starting to sound like it doesn’t matter what the FBI does, it will never be enough. A few days ago all some people wanted was to have Judge interviewed (myself included). That apparently has happened.
  • Like 4

I don’t know if that’s true or not, but they both just testified in front of the committee. What else would the FBI have asked them?

This is sort of starting to sound like it doesn’t matter what the FBI does, it will never be enough. A few days ago all some people wanted was to have Judge interviewed (myself included). That apparently has happened.
The FBI is trained to ask questions and the spectacle before the committee was no substitute. They could have gotten additional information from Ford that would have informed the questioning of the other witnesses. All of the information from the 8 additional witnesses could have informed questioning of Kavanaugh. This is how investigations are done. You start with the complainant and finish with the target. This investigation was a sham.

Maybe the FBI could just get Kav to answer the questions he refused to answer during the hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

So wait, the FBI conducted an investigation and was not allowed to talk to the either the accused or the accuser? Give me a fucking break.

The FBI was looking for anybody who had new info (saw) on whether Kavanaugh:

1. was at the party described by Ford

2. sexually assaulted Debbie Ramirez

3. organized or participated in gang rapes

They weren't looking for random new dirt on Kavanaugh.  Ford and Kavanaugh had already provided their potential witness lists.  (Kavanaugh had none.  Ford had Judge, Smyth and Kersey.)  Swetnick had not provided any.

I have not heard of anybody other than Ford claiming  knowledge of an assault, or anybody somebody else says might have knowledge of an assault.  Have you?

Look, if there is, for example, somebody at Yale who says "I saw Kavanaugh put his penis in Debbie's face" we should have heard from them.  If they say "I heard somebody who heard somebody who ..." then we don't.

Edited by MixtyMotions
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The FBI was looking for anybody who had new info (saw) on whether Kavanaugh:
1. was at the party described by Ford
2. sexually assaulted Debbie Ramirez
3. organized or participated in gang rapes
They weren't looking for random new dirt on Kavanaugh.  Ford and Kavanaugh had already provided their potential witness lists.  (Kavanaugh had none.  Ford had Judge, Smyth and Kersey.)  Swetnick had not provided any.
I have not heard of anybody other than Ford claiming  knowledge of an assault, or anybody somebody else says might have knowledge of an assault.  Have you?

Look, if there is, for example, somebody at Yale who says "I saw Kavanaugh put his penis in Debbie's face" we should have heard from them.  If they say "I heard somebody who heard somebody who ..." then we don't.

You have no idea how investigations work. Maybe this wasn't that kind of investigation but it stood little to no chance of bringing out the truth

Here's an example. The Safeway thing. I would want to know:

(1) From Ford: Do you know which Safeway? Did you go there often? Was anyone with you? When did you remember this incident of seeing Judge at Safeway? Why didnt you bring g it up earlier?

(2) From Judge? When did you work at Safeway? Did you ever see Dr. Ford there? How did you know Dr. Ford? You described in your book going to work intoxicated, how often did that happen?

(3) Do you recall Judge working at Safeway? Did he ever talk to you about that Job? Did he ever tell you about seeing Ford there? Etc. Etc.

It wasn't supposed to be an investigation.  It was a reopening of the background check to cover a few, potentially explosive pieces of info.  The three GOP Senators wanted the people (e.g. Judge) I listed checked out.  It was cover for swing vote Senators.

Edited by MixtyMotions
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Oh so now we’re all “poors?” And your subscription to the Wall Street journal is the “most satisfying money I spend every month?”

Man I hope youre a troll because otherwise you’re the saddest sack of shit I’ve seen in a while.

Iconoclast is one of the poors. The Journal is straight middle class garbage these days 

4 hours ago, scottsins said:

Some of y’all give the electorate WAY too much credit.  ...

As a joke, I posted this quote from Kavanaugh's testimony in "beer threads" on a few forums that I frequent (including here on Surly) :

I drank beer with my friends.  Almost everyone did.  Sometimes I had too many beers.  Sometimes others did.  I liked beer.  I still like beer.

It's been amusing to watch how many people don't recognize it.

Edited by bernorange

7 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

This is why a jury of your peers should scare everyone. No evidence necessary, emotion wins. 

When I was at jury duty on Tuesday, the video was like "Wouldn't you like to be judged by the jury of your peers?" I looked around and went "hell fucking no, these people are idiots."

• Like 1

This thread has gotten gross now that the old timer usual suspects have unfortunately returned.

Shoo - go away again.

Only when it appears kavanaugh is going to get pushed across the finish line. They were totally absent during her testimony, had to get their talking points from Mitch

Dotard has probably seen the report already, after it was restricted in scope.  

On the one hand, the GOP still seems like they have to confirm him at all costs, up to and including putting more midterm seats at risk  

On the other, Mitch doesn’t seem to have the votes, and Trump is not helping with his rally appearances. 

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

When I was at jury duty on Tuesday, the video was like "Wouldn't you like to be judged by the jury of your peers?" I looked around and went "hell fucking no, these people are idiots."

Well, anecdotally, a hard core Trumper juror found Manafort guilty despite really wanting him to be innocent.

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dotard has probably seen the report already, after it was restricted in scope.  

On the one hand, the GOP still seems like they have to confirm him at all costs, up to and including putting more midterm seats at risk  

On the other, Mitch doesn’t seem to have the votes, and Trump is not helping with his rally appearances. 

The report for the Dotard consisted of either a green smilie face or a red frowny face. There was no other information provided to him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Surprised that trump hasn’t reported that the fbi report exonerated kavanaugh.  He’s not one to let others report the news that he has access to first.

I will guess that he's had 64 pleas not to antagonize Flake, Collins and Murkowski, and he'll bite his tongue for a few hours.