Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

36 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

This gives Ramirez and the Yalies a chance to testify about his drinking lies. Debbie's story is more plausable with several eye witness accounts of his excessive drinking. He should have owned up to it as youthful indiscretion. The lying might get him afterall.  

Plus more coming out this weekend from Avanatti's client (drugged/sexually assaulted and witness) along with at least one or more corroborating witnesses evidently placing BK at the Beach Week gang trains.

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Plus more coming out this weekend from Avanatti's client (drugged/sexually assaulted and witness) along with at least one or more corroborating witnesses evidently placing BK at the Beach Week gang trains.

that train allegation has to be from a certifiable nut, correct?

18 minutes ago, Hammock said:

"Well, you can become a Supreme Court Judge but there's a good chance you and your family's lives will be altered forever if anyone makes an allegation against you."

Sounds fair.

Ask Gorsuch about it.  His life was turned upside down.  Wait, no it wasn't.  Bzzzt.

• Like 1

This is a good compromise, honestly, especially if you're a swing-state Democrat. You get the investigation, have the ability to come out against the nominee right now, while at the same time having the ability to, if the investigation doesn't find anything conclusive, throw in a YES vote when it doesn't matter since at least one of Flake, Collins, and Murkowski will vote YES.

It's a sensible approach. Kavanaugh has no business seeing the Supreme Court with his partisan leanings, temperament, and seeming history of perjury, but at least we can say the absolute bare minimum was done to vet these allegations. You would probably still see some pushback by Democrats from any conservative nominated to the USSC by Trump, and justifiably so after McConnell et al. treated Garland, but there was nowhere near this much fanfare for Gorsuch. I wouldn't expect there to be for another conservative nominated unless they had similar skeletons in their closet. 

There were lots of other qualified candidates to choose from, and I have no reason to believe Senate Democrats would interfere with a truly good candidate. Gorsuch is example 1 of that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Especially after that embarrassing performance yesterday. If he’s willing to do that and humiliate himself in front of the world he ain’t voluntarily withdrawing. 

He said this has destroyed his family. I bet his wife enjoyed hearing that one. 

I bet his wife enjoyed reading his yearbook entry.

21 minutes ago, Hammock said:

"Well, you can become a Supreme Court Judge but there's a good chance you and your family's lives will be altered forever if anyone makes an allegation against you."

Sounds fair.

Yet there have been a few people that made it to the Supreme Court without their lives being altered forever.  Maybe dotard should try to find another one.

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

that train allegation has to be from a certifiable nut, correct?

"Swetnick, a 55-year-old Washington, D.C., resident and graduate of Gaithersburg High School in Maryland, spent portraying herself as credible — listing a slew of previous high-level contractor jobs with agencies including the U.S. Department of Defense and Department of Treasury; the multiple work clearances she has held with the Treasury Department, the U.S. Mint, the IRS, the State Department, the Justice Department, the Department of Homeland Security, and Customs and Border Protection (several of which are still active clearances); and the fact that she was one of “the first 100 women in the world to achieve a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineering Certification (MCSE).”

She's got nuts alright.

Kavanaugh has been exemplary throughout his life. He won over the Republican base like I have rarely seen before with his performance yesterday. He conveyed the disgust we Republicans have with this disgraceful attempts at character assassination. I’m GLAD that he didn’t debase himself by answering the ridiculous charge from Swetnick and “lied” when asked to define bullshit teenage slang. The Republican Party is transforming to one that will fight you sons of bitches in the streets. Street battles between the left and right are going to be a regular occurrence within the next decade. I’m glad we are prepping for it with our attitude.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 13

Thanks for spelling that out. I’ve never heard the term “boof,” missed where it was discussed (aside from it being a lie), and was not keen on googling it.

Boof is derived from bu-fu (boo-foo), which comes from BUtt FUck. There is no logical connection to any slang term for flatulence that I have seen.

Devil's Triangle uses "devil" because it is unholy. Triangle because 3some. Why would quarters with 3 glasses be devilish? My joke is that it is a specific variant of quarters that uses 2 shot glasses from the Empire State Building gift shop and one souvenir glass from Carlbad Caverns. Get it???

I doubt some segregated prep school of 500 was able to develop widely known slang of its own. Occam's razor.

His lie in his opening statement was actually better. He said the dorks on yearbook wanted to sound cool after watching Animal House/Fast Times, so they just made up a bunch of cool comments. Huge lie too, but more believable than farts and quarters.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yet there have been a few people that made it to the Supreme Court without their lives being altered forever.  Maybe dotard should try to find another one.

That is basically the caveat for anyone who ever seeks to hold higher office in our government or be appointed to a position of power.  Don't have aims for higher positions of power in the public sphere if you don't want shit to get out or, you know.... don't sexually assault women. 

8 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

There is some reporting that the FBI investigation might be limited. Nothing decided yet. /shenanigans

Just now, triplehorn said:

"Swetnick, a 55-year-old Washington, D.C., resident and graduate of Gaithersburg High School in Maryland, spent portraying herself as credible — listing a slew of previous high-level contractor jobs with agencies including the U.S. Department of Defense and Department of Treasury; the multiple work clearances she has held with the Treasury Department, the U.S. Mint, the IRS, the State Department, the Justice Department, the Department of Homeland Security, and Customs and Border Protection (several of which are still active clearances); and the fact that she was one of “the first 100 women in the world to achieve a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineering Certification (MCSE).”

She's got nuts alright.

She is a nut job and not credible at all. No one found her credible not even the Dems throwing whatever shit they found on the wall.

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Kavanaugh has been exemplary throughout his life. He won over the Republican base like I have rarely seen before with his performance yesterday.

Triple LOL.  That was a tough win.

The Republican Party is transforming to one that will fight you sons of bitches in the streets. Street battles between the left and right are going to be a regular occurrence within the next decade. I’m glad we are prepping for it with our attitude.

I'll come to Houston.  See you there.  I'll be wearing a Cardinals hockey jersey, let out in the middle for my beer gut.  

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Kavanaugh has been exemplary throughout his life. He won over the Republican base like I have rarely seen before with his performance yesterday. He conveyed the disgust we Republicans have with this disgraceful attempts at character assassination. I’m GLAD that he didn’t debase himself by answering the ridiculous charge from Swetnick and “lied” when asked to define bullshit teenage slang. The Republican Party is transforming to one that will fight you sons of bitches in the streets. Street battles between the left and right are going to be a regular occurrence within the next decade. I’m glad we are prepping for it with our attitude.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, countless priests, countless other men: all publicly viewed as leaders in their realm and solid individuals. All have weaknesses in their personal life that impacted others and should be held accountable for. 

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Will you be wearing a white or green hood in said street fights?

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

How this could have, and should have, gone better.

1. Feinstein notifies majority when she receives the accusation.

2. FBI immediately called in to investigate and update the BI.

3. Results of investigation provided to committee. 

4. Closed door hearings with Ford and Kavanaugh and other witnesses if necessary. 

But no, not circusey enough. 

That's why I have that sneaky feeling the leak came foom somebody in Feinsteins office to somebody that actually then leaked it to a reporter.  This was used for maximum political effect.  And to those who say, no way I say, way.

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

"Peace with Honor" was a phrase U.S. President Richard M. Nixon used in a speech on January 23, 1973 to describe the Paris Peace Accord to end the Vietnam War. The phrase is a variation on a campaign promise Nixon made in 1968: "I pledge to you that we shall have an honorable end to the war in Vietnam."[1] The treaty specified that a ceasefire would take place four days later. According to the plan, within sixty days of the ceasefire, the North Vietnamese would release all U.S. prisoners, and all U.S. troops would withdraw from South Vietnam. On March 29, 1973, the last U.S. soldier left Vietnam. On 30 April 1975, Saigon fell to North Vietnamese troops.[2] While Nixon's campaign used the phrase, as a rhetorical trope it has a very long pedigree of use by politicians as can be seen by the list below.

Earlier uses

• 49 BC Cicero "Until we know whether we are to have peace without honour or war with its calamities, I have thought it best to for them to stay at my house in Formiae and the boys too."[3]
  • ca. 1145 Theobald II, Count of Champagne "Peace with honor" written in a letter to King Louis VII of France.[4]
  • 1607 William Shakespeare "That it shall hold companionship in peace/With honour, as in war."[5]
  • 1775 Edmund Burke "The superior power may offer peace with honor and with safety....But the concessions of the weak are concessions of fear." [6]
  • 1878 Benjamin Disraeli (British prime minister) "Lord Salisbury and myself have brought you back peace—but a peace I hope with honour, which may satisfy our sovereign and tend to the welfare of our country."[7] Said upon returning from the Congress of Berlin. Wags paraphrased this as "Peace with honour -- a
  • 1916 Wilson Business Men's League "Wilson and peace with honor or Hughes with Roosevelt and War?" Part of U.S. President Woodrow Wilson's reelection campaign.[8]
  • 1934 A. A. Milne (English writer) "'Peace with Honour' a denunciation of war" A. A. Milne#Biography
  • 1938 Neville Chamberlain (British prime minister) "My good friends, for the second time in our history, a British Prime Minister has returned from Germany bringing peace with honour. I believe it is 'peace for our time.' Go home and get a nice quiet sleep." Said upon returning from the Munich Conference.[9]
  • 1938 Winston Churchill criticizing Chamberlain's appeasement with Hitler, commented: "You were given the choice between war and dishonour. You chose dishonour, and you will have war."[10] Churchill's position was later vindicated by the German invasion of Poland, which compelled Britain to enter the war.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
Sophocles, 420 B.C.

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You know we're fucked when Graham's outburst is considered "heroic".  Republicans have created their own definition of courage. 

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell”

― Carl Sandburg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I couldn't believe they never challenged Brett as to his lie about the statements of the other people alleged to be at the party.  Only the alleged co-rapist, Judge, has refuted Ford's account, and he didn't do it under threat of perjury - another lie under oath from Brett that went unchallenged.  Brett lied his ass off for hours and was hardly challenged on any of it.  

10 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

She's got nuts alright.

The only thing that proves is she can’t hold down a job.