Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What utter and complete bullshit. If your son was denied opportunity that he was deserving because of his skin color you’d be singing quite a different tune. I know several Jewish South Africans. You should talk to them about how things turned after Mandela died and shitheels like Zuma took over.

Yeah. White people being denied things they deserve because of their skin color is a super serious problem in Murica.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

So if PJ or Squee say that they watched Kavanaugh shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die, that would be a "rabbit chase?"

Interesting take. Thorough understanding of police work. Well done!

I think the issue gets referred to the White House.  They'd decide whether to conduct the interview, hold the vote without it, or pull the nomination.  My guess is, for that, they'd pull the nomination.

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What utter and complete bullshit. If your son was denied opportunity that he was deserving because of his skin color you’d be singing quite a different tune. I know several Jewish South Africans. You should talk to them about how things turned after Mandela died and shitheels like Zuma took over.

Are they lawyers?

I'll show myself out.

Holy shit it's like there's no middle ground between HRC-esque overpracticed/overtested statements and pure trumpian shouting and bluster.
You're pretty despicable for acting like every sexual assault victim is just some democratic party operative. And it isn't really all that surprising, just disappointing because I know there's lots of other folks just like you who are willfully uninformed spouting off the same false talking points.

Liberal talking points at its best. Thanks Rachel
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

what the fuck are yall talking about?

the persian is not the issue here, dude. Iim talking about drawing a line in the sand, dude. across this line, you DO NOT......also, dude, persian is not the preferred nomenclature. iranian-american, please.

I guess times change.  I had a friend and roommate who was Iranian.  He studiously avoided the use of Iranian and said Persian.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

the persian is not the issue here, dude. Iim talking about drawing a line in the sand, dude. across this line, you DO NOT......also, dude, persian is not the preferred nomenclature. iranian-american, please.

My dad is from Iran, so I'll interject here. Persian is the preferred nomenclature, at least with all the ones I've been around. Even though my mom is a pale Irish hobbit, I got my dad's genes. And I would say Trump's base, especially in rural areas, would not consider me a white person. 

Dream on:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/kavanaugh-fbi-investigation-oct-18

Here's the list of people Senate Judiciary Democrats want interviewed

From CNN's Sunlen Serfaty

Nine of the 10 Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee sent White House counsel Don McGahn and FBI Director Christopher Wray a letter today. (Sen. Chris Coons did not sign it.)

The letter provides a list of individuals they believe should be interviewed at a minimum as part of the FBI investigation into the Brett Kavanaugh allegations.

The letter reads:

“We ask that you confirm that the FBI background investigation will include the allegations of Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez and Julie Swetnick and that the FBI will perform all logical steps related to these allegations, including interviewing other individuals who might have relevant information and gathering evidence related to the truthfulness of statements made in relation to these allegations. 

And here's the list of people they want interviewed:

• Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh's first accuser
  • Lynne Brookes, Kavanaugh’s friend from Yale
  • Russell Ford, Ford’s husband.
  • Christopher Garrett
  • Timothy Gaudette, Kavanagh’s friend and Georgetown Prep classmate
  • Adela Gildo-Mazzon, Ford's friend
  • Sean Hagan, Kavanaugh’s Georgetown Prep classmate.
  • Jeremiah P. Hanafin, D.C.-area polygraph examiner who conduced Ford's
  • Mark Judge, Kavanaugh’s friend and Georgetown Prep classmate
  • Thomas Kane
  • Brett Kavanaugh
  • Leland Keyser, Ford’s high school friend
  • Keith Koegler, friend of Ford
  • Mark Krasberg
  • Bernie McCarthy
  • Richard Oh, Kavanaugh’s classmate at Yale College.
  • Potomac Village Safeway, to examine the employment records for this store to verify Ford’s claims and to determine the relevant time period
  • Deborah Ramirez, Kavanaugh's second accuser
  • Elizabeth Rasor, Ex-girlfriend and college classmate of Judge
  • James Roche, Kavanaugh’s freshman roommate at Yale
  • Patrick J. Smyth, Kavanaugh’s friend and Georgetown Prep classmate. 
  • Julie Swetnick, Kavanaugh's third accuser
  • Elizabeth Swisher, Kavanaugh’s friend from Yale
  • Rebecca White, Ford's friend

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Again, Trump has two years to nominate qualified conservative judges even if the GOPs lose the Senate and House. It's not about a conservative justice; it's about this nominee in particular.

That's not really true.  The type of judge Trump would be able to get confirmed if the Senate flips would be very different than Kavanaugh or whoever is next on the Federalist Society's list.

Also, I think the Rs rightly see political value in ramming him through just to show their power.  Don't want to look weak and ineffective right before the election.

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

My dad is from Iran, so I'll interject here. Persian is the preferred nomenclature, at least with all the ones I've been around. Even though my mom is a pale Irish hobbit, I got my dad's genes. And I would say Trump's base, especially in rural areas, would not consider me a white person. 

You think you can interject about Iran and probably can say 3 words total in Persian but can’t read or write it fluently like I can

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

I guess times change.  I had a friend and roommate who was Iranian.  He studiously avoided the use of Iranian and said Persian.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

this isn't a guy who tried to conquer the greeks here...

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

No you’re a half-breed who thinks he can interject about Iran and probably can say 3 words total in Persian but can’t read or write it fluently like I can

Persian purity talk not going away soon.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Apparently you think the alleged lies of others justify your own side's lies. That's a pretty lousy standard, but it's well worn with you I'm-not-really-a-GOP-(actually I am a GOP)-guys over the years. You're better than the evil Dems until you get caught then it's all, well it's okay because the evil Dems do it!

There actually is evidence that Kavanaugh is a would-be rapist. I believe Dr. Ford. It has nothing to do with political ideology. You'll scoff, but here is why that statement about ideology is true:

No matter if Kavanaugh is rejected and the Dems get control of Congress: the president still chooses candidates for the Supreme Court. No matter Kavanaugh's fate, there will be a conservative nominee who can pass through the process. I'd rather that not be the case, but that's the way it works. That takes ideology out of the equation.

It's this specific guy who is wrapped in a veil of delays, distortions, lies and believable accusations who doesn't belong on the court. 

Check out this find by retread on the Trump thread. It's this kind of thing that I believe makes Kavanaugh so important to Trump and the criminal GOPs.

DoSs6wHXUAE1O5U.jpg

it's an interesting issue.  in the case there was a stacking of sentences for federal and state crimes that are similar.  I think the issue of double jeopardy upon a dual conviction is the actual issue.  I don't know that the issue will automatically stretch to pardon rights.  a defendant sentenced by two sovereigns for the same act is not the same as a defendant being pardoned for a state crime and a federal crime.  nor is it the same as being found not guilty by one sovereign and found guilty by the other.  not only that, I'm not convinced the federal laws in question for Trump are going to be the same as those that might be brought in the SDNY under state law.

I would be willing to bet even if the liberal justices agree with the problem of dual sovereigns over the same act (and nearly identical laws - in this case gun laws), they will not allow it to apply to pardon power of one sovereign over the other, or the guilty/not guilty dichotomy, or the vastly different laws covering the same act.  I just can't see Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kagan, and Breyer agreeing.  I think Thomas is a lock - there is no textual argument for a dual sovereignty exception so if there is none how does that impact pardon power.  Even there, Thomas might be silent.  Remember, pardon power isn't the issue before the court.  Even if Thomas goes that far, that leaves Alito, Gorsuch and Roberts.  I don't know enough about Alito and Gorsuch but Roberts has broken rank before.  Even if Kavanaugh is appointed/confirmed in time to hear the case, I just can't see Roberts allowing the ruling and the opinion to spread to pardon power.  I think there is a distinction between protecting a defendant against dual convictions/sentencing and allowing one sovereign to rule immunity/pardoned from prosecution.  I actually see a scenerio where it's 100% clear, all justices agree (by silence but without ambiguity in the ruling) that their decision does not apply to presidential pardon power.

I guess I'm saying, I just don't see Trump getting what he wants here.  But if I'm wrong, wow we are too far gone.

Edited by troph

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Whiter than you dude. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Why?

Couldn't the FBI coordinate those interviews within a matter of a few days?  Not the easiest thing in the world but certainly not an insurmountable task.

It's not a mechanical question.  It's a political one.

The anti-Kavanaugh and pro-Kavanaugh machines have each spent millions on this.  They KNOW what these people will say.  The Dems don't have any serious ammunition, and the GOP will not allow the process to be used to air some weak ass shit in some manner to give it credibility.  The process will be used to look at the serious allegations.  Any witness of a sexual assault will be heard.   Alleged attendees to the two "parties" (potential witnesses to sexual assault) will be heard.  People with other info won't.  Bank on it.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Listening to Mitch McConnell bitch about the democrats today on the Senate floor was extremely satisfying.

He accused the Democrats of “moving the goalposts” with Kavanaugh. 

ROTFLMAO

In other words, Mitch doesn't have the votes today.

2 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

It's not a mechanical question.  It's a political one.

The anti-Kavanaugh and pro-Kavanaugh machines have each spent millions on this.  They KNOW what these people will say.  The Dems don't have any serious ammunition, and the GOP will not allow the process to be used to air some weak ass shit in some manner to give it credibility.  The process will be used to look at the serious allegations.  Any witness of a sexual assault will be heard.   Alleged attendees to the two "parties" (potential witnesses to sexual assault) will be heard.  People with other info won't.  Bank on it.

Um, the Republicans could have handled this weeks ago. It's Republicans standing in the way of this nomination.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

The odds the Democrat reaction to Kavanaugh, had he sat there in a "judicial manner" and gave short concise answers, would be that he portrayed the characteristics of a judge are exactly ZERO.

As usual, you are completely wrong.  Does it get tiring for you?

Neil Gorsuch.  Try harder.  Be best better adequate.

25 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

So, American blacks, by virtue of the shared color of skin, will be just like South African blacks who have an entirely different history? 

Are your several Jewish South African acquaintances lawyers perchance?

• Like 2

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He’s losing and he’s pissed.  Lots of polls and data coming out probably making some Repubs flinch. 

Unfortunately, the only Republicans who might flinch are Collins and Ted Cruz Human Senator.  Murkowski ain't too worried about losing in the future considering she already won as a write-in once.  Flake don't care, he outta here.  Heller SHOULD worry but I think he already knows he is toast come November and he's enjoying all the K-Street offers he's been getting for being a good boy to Daddy Trump.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Unfortunately, the only Republicans who might flinch are Collins and Ted Cruz Human Senator.  Murkowski ain't too worried about losing in the future considering she already won as a write-in once.  Flake don't care, he outta here.  Heller SHOULD worry but I think he already knows he is toast come November and he's enjoying all the K-Street offers he's been getting for being a good boy to Daddy Trump.

Cruz has been campaigning on his support of Kavanaugh.

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Cruz has been campaigning on his support of Kavanaugh.

I know. Of the 51 GOP Senators, only those 2 have the POTENTIAL to flip based on their electoral prospects in 18/20. 

Ted fucking Cruz would flip in a New York minute (well, Dallas minute, because he is TEXAS TOUGH) if it was advantageous to his re-election prospects.

Just now, Js1 said:

I don’t think many appreciate how alienating voting for Kavanaugh is.  It’s not like voting for a spending or immigration bill you don’t like.  

If you feel strongly enough about this and your Senator votes to confirm a complete hack POS to the SC, odds are that’s a permanent deal breaker.  There’s no coming back from that. 

The alternative of voting no or abstaining on Kavanaugh is not great but more manageable and potentially opportunistic because you can credit claim like a motherfucker when a superior candidate is nominated and confirmed. 

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

As usual, you are completely wrong.  Does it get tiring for you?

Neil Gorsuch.  Try harder.  Be best better adequate.

I guess you didn't get the memo, the decorum of the Surl is allegedly snark free.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Also, claims made without evidence.  The liberal gold standard.

Edited by Incredulity

I have a bunch of Persian friends.  I guess I should ask if they prefer "Iranian-American", but they certainly call their food "Persian food".  And it's fucking delicious.

Plus, they're almost all extremely well educated, erudite, and compassionate.

In short, can we trade Alabama for Persia Iran?  No nukes, though.

30 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You think you can interject about Iran and probably can say 3 words total in Persian but can’t read or write it fluently like I can

You're a racist piece of shit, even though you tried to edit this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1