Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I have three young kids and I have to hide them from the news.  I blame Trump for mainstreaming unmentionables.  Good grief.

That's precisely how I felt in the 90's with Bill "the cumstain" Clinton and his rape enabling wife, Hiliary.  Welcome to the club.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 13

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

This is exactly it. He didn’t act like a judge at that hearing, he acted like a completely unhinged jackass. Is that what we want on the Supreme Court?

It was a calculated political warfare tactic by camp Kavanaugh.  

They knew the only thing that could sink him is tanking public opinion numbers.  They threw a hail marry to the GOP/Trump base, and it worked. 

Of course the best thing for the country would have been to withdraw the nominee and get a better candidate but nah, let’s overtly politicize the Supreme Court and make every sexual assault victim relive their traumatic experience while were at it. 

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Kavanaugh's supporters are correctly saying that it seems impossible to determine if Kavanaugh blacked out ever.   but we see statements supporting him like from his college buddy, Chris Dudley who stated he never saw Kavanaugh black out.    the right seems to be dismissing statement where people are saying they saw/know Kavanaugh black out but they're not refuting Dudley saying he never saw it.  Can't have it both ways.

I also think some people are saying that "blacked out" is some rare event for heavy drinkers.  If you're very drunk, I guarantee you don't recall everything that happened the next morning.  I've heard my friends in the past make the comment that they can't recall going to bed, and I know I've said the same.   If there is a point you don't recall the end of the night and have to be told what happened, you blacked out.   I find it hard to believe that any heavy drinking college aged person doesn't at least get to that point several times.  

Does anyone here, who drank in college, claim that they've never blacked out from drinking?

You can't "see" someone black out. You can see them pass out, or "fall asleep" as Kavanaugh likes to call it. But a black out is a cognitive state and you can't know that a person has blacked out until after the fact. Of course Kavanaugh's friend who's trying to protect him didn't see him black out. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They knew the only thing that could sink him is tanking public opinion numbers.  They threw a hail marry to the GOP/Trump base, and it worked. 

Of course the best thing for the country would have been to withdraw the nominee and get a better candidate but nah, let’s overtly politicize the Supreme Court and make every sexual assault victim relive their traumatic experience while were at it. 

Sometimes you lose a battle to win the war.

And sometimes you win a battle that ultimately costs you the war.

if that’s what they were thinking, the latter applies. Nobody will respect the guy if he makes it except the trumpkins, which is equivalent to no important respect at all. It will be the death of the court as we know it. 

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You can't "see" someone black out. You can see them pass out, or "fall asleep" as Kavanaugh likes to call it. But a black out is a cognitive state and you can't know that a person has blacked out until after the fact. Of course Kavanaugh's friend who's trying to protect him didn't see him black out. 

Moderately racist 

So let me get this straight, the guy denies the allegations, and they are extreme allegations, with some viseral reaction, and that makes him unfit to serve? That is an argument of some?  What would you like him to do, just defer?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

So let me get this straight, the guy denies the allegations, and they are extreme allegations, with some viseral reaction, and that makes him unfit to serve? That is an argument of some?  What would you like him to do, just defer?

Yes, that is exactly the argument. The people honored to be chosen for the Supreme Court should be able to manage their emotions better than the average joe. Also, don’t lie. Pretty simple stuff.

Yes, that is exactly the argument. The people honored to be chosen for the Supreme Court should be able to manage their emotions better than the average joe. Also, don’t lie. Pretty simple stuff.
Plus, showing some emotion is fine. If your emotion makes you like repeatedly, that's a problem.

He seems to be losing a lot of support. ABA, Yale classmates, former clerks... That has to start impacting him right?

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

This is exactly it. He didn’t act like a judge at that hearing, he acted like a completely unhinged jackass. Is that what we want on the Supreme Court?

Spoken like the partisan nutbag you are.   If Kavanaugh raises his temper in the hearings after these accusations he doesn't have the temperament to sit on the Supreme Court.  If he doesn't raise his temper he is not denying the allegations strong enough for you so he must be guilty of them.  God I hope I die before any of you cretins ever get in a position where you are put in a political position with any more power or influence than running a lemonade stand in your front yard.

Edited by EMAWesome
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Jag102 said:

I think that any reasonable person can appreciate the visceral reaction.  The take home is that Kavanaugh has demonstrated that he will not be able to come away from this without partisan baggage. We should try to avoid overt partisan baggage when it comes to SCOTUS.  I am afraid that this will be par for the course moving forward. 

• Like 3

Overt partisan baggage being code for "might possibly rule in favor of a Republican's position on any matter brought to the Supreme Court."  Possibly ruling in favor of a Democrat position on any matter brought to the Supreme court is perfectly okey dokey though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jag102 said:

Oh, I don't know... maybe say you are innocent of the allegations, act with dignity and not throw a fucking tantrum like a spoiled brat. We don't want someone like that on SCOTUS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Spoken like the partisan nutbag you are.   If Kavanaugh raises his temper in the hearings after these accusations he doesn't have the temperament to sit on the Supreme Court.  If he doesn't raise his temper he is not denying the allegations strong enough for you so he must be guilty of them.  God I hope I die before any of you cretins ever get in a position where you are put in a political position with any more power or influence than running a lemonade stand in your front yard.

Nope. Try again. Use your brain. Try harder. You can do it. 

Just now, EMAWesome said:

Overt partisan baggage being code for "might possibly rule in favor of a Republican's position on any matter brought to the Supreme Court."  Possibly ruling in favor of a Democrat position on any matter brought to the Supreme court is perfectly okey dokey though.

There is zero chance that anybody who watched last Thursday's testimony comes away from it understanding that Kavanaugh is not going to deep dick the democrats at every chance he gets if he is confirmed to the SCOTUS. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

Just because you think that way doesn’t mean everyone else does. 

4 minutes ago, Jag102 said:

No. He's unfit to serve because he's a GOP political operative parroting conspiracy theories who has committed perjury multiple times, both before and after the sexual assault allegations, and whose resume is by and large hidden from view.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

There is zero chance that anybody who watched last Thursday's testimony comes away from it understanding that Kavanaugh is not going to deep dick the democrats at every chance he gets if he is confirmed to the SCOTUS. 

He's not going to deep dick them, he's going boof them.

• Like 1

That Atlantic op-ed is really good. I think this part is what worries me most, however:

We are on a dangerous road, and the judicial confirmation wars are going to get a lot worse for our traveling down it.

At this point, I don't know if there'll be any nomination that won't turn into trying to ruin someone's life instead of actually advising that they should serve on the court. Flake and Coons were able to pull a bipartisan deal (likely with Collins, Murkowski and Manchin), but I don't know if that will be possible for future nominations on the path that we are on. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I want to hear a really persuasive argument for why Kavanaugh should sit on the Supreme Court above any other conservative justice that has led a clean and responsible life.

Ok I’ll give it a shot. He deeply regrets the prosecution by ken Starr and himself as special counsel against Clinton and as a result truly believes that  mueller should be immediately fired and trump should be allowed to pardon anyone for any crime including state crimes even though the constitution doesn’t allow that at all because he is a nonpartisan judge and a strict constitutionalist who believes his job is simply to call balls and strikes. 

Convinced yet? 

6 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

That Atlantic op-ed is really good. I think this part is what worries me most, however:

At this point, I don't know if there'll be any nomination that won't turn into trying to ruin someone's life instead of actually advising that they should serve on the court. Flake and Coons were able to pull a bipartisan deal (likely with Collins, Murkowski and Manchin), but I don't know if that will be possible for future nominations on the path that we are on. 

What do you think Coons gave up in the deal?  I see what Flake conceded but not what Coons conceded.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The best thing for the country would be to take a vote and make the Senate do their job.  Yea or nay, then let the Senators constituents hold them accountable.  Thats the way it’s supposed to work.

Edited by Incredulity

On 10/1/2018 at 4:06 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

This is exactly the type of story I wanted to be planted to shred Dr Ford’s testimony. Keep it up conservative media! Next thing I’d do is track down ex-boyfriends willing to say she was a fruitcake, loon or just emotionally disturbed. 

Democrats: if you think unhinged, overly emotional sounding women yelling at Republican Senators is a winning play please keep it up. It should help us pick up a few more votes from male voters. Please keep it up

You are quite literally  the worst troll imaginable.  It's sad that you think you're clever.

• Like 1

I guess a simple "I disavow the allegations" would have reflected a better supreme court temperment, akin to Learned Hand? I don't really see how this in any way reflects negatively with respect to his numerous legal opinions in the various courts he has served. These are serious allegations, he had denied them numerous times leading up to the hearing. I believe he believed he needed to express his true feelings about those allegations. It seems he cannot win either way.

Edited by Jag102
Bad composition.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I guess what I'm saying is if you have to reach back 4 decades or whatever to to when you are a teenager, underage or highschool senior to make sullied an otherwise clean and responsible life, it's hilarious to me and I root against that, more than I root for a man who cries.

What if you lie and cry and scream about it at 53 years old? That's the issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Not sure how relative persuasive is to you, but for my tastes, I don't particularly believe he committed sexual assault based on what I've heard/read here, there is no corroboration, and I don't buy it, so I throw that out.

Then you are left with bringing up teenage/underage b.s. from yearbooks and/or highschool parties which is laughable to me. I'm one of those guys that doesn't quite trust a man who has never gotten drunk or gotten in a fist fight and gotten a black eye or whatever (e.g. Donald Trump and his timely "I've never had a beer in my life" today, that's sociopathic or extreme autism to me and also why I don't hold Beto's DUI against him, or W's before him). I guess what I'm saying is if you have to reach back 4 decades or whatever to to when you are a teenager, underage or highschool senior to make sullied an otherwise clean and responsible life, it's hilarious to me and I root against that, more than I root for a man who cries.

Though to be fair, if you are going to cry you should be a Kavanaughesque 30 pounds overweight with soft features-- as scripted (and pathetic) as it was, it was believable that way. Which isn't necessarily a good thing, for me.

I wasn't even through your first sentence before guessing you weren't even going to address the the laughably gratuitous perjury.

38 minutes ago, Jag102 said:

I’d like him to act like someone fit to hold a seat on the highest court in the land. I’d like him to be able to control his emotions during a hearing. I’d like him to treat senators respectfully since it is their job to advice and consent.

You know, do the hard stuff like act like an adult.

4 minutes ago, Jag102 said:

I guess a simple "I disavow the allegations" would have reflected a been a better supreme court temperment, akin to Learned Hand? I don't really see how this in any way reflects negatively with respect to his numerous legal opinions in the various courts he has served. These are serious allegations, he had denied them numerous times leading up to the hearing. I believe he believed he needed to express his true feelings about those allegations. It seems he cannot win either way.

Maybe in your mind.  Those of us who are reasonable adults would think critically and seriously consider a more measured response from Kavanaugh. Instead, he literally acted LIKE A FIVE YEAR OLD, screaming and interrupting Senators that were questioning him in a respectful manner the whole time. That raises a flag for anyone truly paying attention to his testimony.

Also, not lying repeatedly about his teenage years would be helpful. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Decorum! Ammirite, BT?

Not BT but yes. Decorum matters. Answering questions asked by Senators matters. Lying under oath matters. 

He’s a partisan, quick tempered, petulant, perjurous, douchebag who may or may not have sexually assaulted multiple women. What about that says he belongs on the court?

Edited by hobbes2702