Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Lawyers for Christine Blasey Ford say in a letter to FBI Director Chris Wray that they've received no response from anyone involved in the FBI's reopened background investigation of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Ford, a California professor, has said she was sexually assaulted by Kavanaugh at a party when they were teenagers. He denies that allegation.

In a letter Tuesday to Wray and his general counsel, Ford's lawyers say it is "inconceivable" that the FBI could conclude its investigation without interviewing either her, Kavanaugh or all of the other witnesses whose names she has provided.

In the letter, the lawyers ask for a call with Wray or the supervisory special agent in charge of the investigation.

https://apnews.com/amp/c8cb699deb024a15a18f2064cad1ee98?__twitter_impression=true

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not just that it hints at a tendency to lie at will.  It reveals a complete lack of character.  Seriously, what adult with a reasonably high intellect and an ethical backbone lies like that?  If my wife was that deceptive, I'd divorce her.  If my KIDS were that deceptive, I'd ground them for a month on each instance, and kids lie . . . a lot . . . especially smart kids, but any and all with character grow out of it, most by college.

my 6th grade son lies like it's breathing. constantly. about stupid shit like "i've got no homework." 

we are working on it, but if it continues there are going to be severe ramifications. but he's a 6th grader, when you expect that kind of shit. and now we are crawling all up in his life by emailing teachers and checking bags, etc. 

when i watched some of kavanaugh's testimony, his face when he would lie about stupid shit reminded me of the face my boy makes when he's lying about stupid shit.

there's a certain kind of face a liar makes. i know it, because my sister was (is?) a drug addict and would lie about the route she took to my mom's house to ask for money. when people lie like that, you can't trust them. at all.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

my 6th grade son lies like it's breathing. constantly. about stupid shit like "i've got no homework." 

we are working on it, but if it continues there are going to be severe ramifications. but he's a 6th grader, when you expect that kind of shit. and now we are crawling all up in his life by emailing teachers and checking bags, etc. 

when i watched some of kavanaugh's testimony, his face when he would lie about stupid shit reminded me of the face my boy makes when he's lying about stupid shit.

there's a certain kind of face a liar makes. i know it, because my sister was (is?) a drug addict and would lie about the route she took to my mom's house to ask for money. when people lie like that, you can't trust them. at all.

Congratulations on Barron Trump nominating your son to SCOTUS in 2050

Edited by Js1

39 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

On the text messages, has the timing been established? Couldn't they have started reaching out after the New Yorker called him to comment? His answer is still misleadinig but might be consistent with learning about it when reached for comment.

Yes, it's elaborated in the included link.  Available evidence shows his knowledge pre-dates the article publication, contrary to his senate testimony.

This guy is ripe for impeachment if he gets confirmed and Republicans bounce a chamber next month.  R's have to know that - not that they necessarily lose a chamber, but that Brett is dead to rights on his serial lying when anyone arrives with subpoena power willing to do their job.  

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

we are working on it, but if it continues there are going to be severe ramifications. but he's a 6th grader, when you expect that kind of shit.

Sure, that was our stance when ours were that young.  I didn't bring the hammer on them back then.  I should have pointed out that our youngest is 14 and at this point if he lies to me he is gonna fucking regret it.  

For one thing, he and his sister are right at that age where parties (with booze and drugs) are becoming at least a small part of their social life and I want them keenly aware that I expect them to call for a ride if they or their friends shouldn't be driving.  In that sense it's a two-way street:  I expect you to tell the truth, but when you do I'm not gonna go nonlinear over the subject matter.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Trump didn’t mock Ford.  He didn't. He restated her testimony in a way that demonstrated how absurd it was, but he didn't do it in a mocking manner (and when Trump mocks, you KNOW he is mocking; he ain't exactly subtle).

You are so full of shit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jag102 said:

What exactly did Kananaugh do last Thursday, other than deny the charges? 

Class attorneys?

Again, what lies? What are the multiple lies?

9 hours ago, Jag102 said:

What is "Boofing, FFFF, Devil's Triangle, Weak Stomach" and such? Is this supposed to be an argument?  He has already been investgated by the FBI multiple times and the witnessess don't recall any of the allegations, so that is evidence in support of her testimony?

9 hours ago, Jag102 said:

If they are minor, why are we discussing them?

So many questions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Trump didn’t mock Ford.  He didn't. He restated her testimony in a way that demonstrated how absurd it was, but he didn't do it in a mocking manner (and when Trump mocks, you KNOW he is mocking; he ain't exactly subtle).

You've got several senators to convince, it seems.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

JFC Johnny

He didn't mock Ford

He didn't mock that disabled reporter

He just was DEMONSTRATED what they were doing. In a non-mocking way despite it being wholly offensive.

36 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

What is there to understand?  If Roe vs. Wade gets overturned the abortion issue gets settled by each state's legislature.  At least half of the states will vote to keep it legal.  In those that don't well funded political activists will arrange transportation for women in those states who want abortions to get to states where it is still legal.  Not one thing is going to change.

Your last sentence is nonsense. Lots of things will change as evidenced by the previous sentences.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

4172360.gif

• Like 1

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

There's a lot of people in this country who are "Catholic", but there's very few that claim to be Evangelical but aren't really anything.

Yeah, the 3-stop Catholics.  Aka, my mother.

Ash Wednesday

Easter Sunday

Christmas

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

that Catholic number is very surprising.

you'd think so at first blush, but your hometown catholic church notwithstanding, most american catholics are big city dwellers, and probably tend more to the democrat side of things. they'll embrace the catholic stance of pro-life, but they would be more likely to think it should be legal, but rare, and volunteer for catholic charities that help pregnant women on the private side than to say that he law should be X.

if that makes sense.

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sure, that was our stance when ours were that young.  I didn't bring the hammer on them back then.  I should have pointed out that our youngest is 14 and at this point if he lies to me he is gonna fucking regret it.  

For one thing, he and his sister are right at that age where parties (with booze and drugs) are becoming at least a small part of their social life and I want them keenly aware that I expect them to call for a ride if they or their friends shouldn't be driving.  In that sense it's a two-way street:  I expect you to tell the truth, but when you do I'm not gonna go nonlinear over the subject matter.

The policy with my kids is that the lie will always be worse than if you just tell me the truth. If you tell me truth, we'll work through it but if you lie and I find out, you're in deep shit. I can't trust you anymore and there is nothing worse then not having trust.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He just couldn't help himself.  Somebody kept him a little quiet on twitter over the weekend, but ultimately, he couldn't help himself.

Good for him though, he's helping drive up voter registration and turnout.

I have few words for that stupidity.  

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's a little early to be drinking already.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Say it with me Justice Kavanaugh, and when he writes the majority in over turning RvW, it will be glorious.

this shit is so funny. so if your example happens, when the Dem controlled Congress and a Dem President pass a law guaranteeing women the right to control their own body, will it be just as glorious? the SC is not the final say on women's rights. 

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

this shit is so funny. so if your example happens, when the Dem controlled Congress and a Dem President pass a law guaranteeing women the right to control their own body, will it be just as glorious? the SC is not the final say on women's rights. 

That legislation is probably unconstitutional if Roe is overturned.

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:
7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:
That legislation is probably unconstitutional if Roe is overturned.

Maybe not unless they do something crazy like making the fetus a person. You'd get into federalism and commerce clause issues though. Interesting to think about.

Yeah, telling the states they can't make something illegal through federal legislation is tricky.

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Fuck the GOP. Shit stains on society

Maybe Republicans responding to the poll were just more honest.  Actual voting data (as opposed to polling responses) for Bill Clinton in the wake of his multiple accusers is a pretty strong argument that the poll results do not represent reality.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

What will be the rallying cry for the Evangelicals to be politically active if RvW is overturned? Is the threat of it coming back enough to keep them voting?

Of course it will be.  These are largely the same people people still talking about welfare queens 20 years after they go the welfare reforms they wanted.  Republican fear mongering does not have to be rooted in truth to work.  

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah, telling the states they can't make something illegal through federal legislation is tricky.

ha, thats what our federal government does on a daily basis. So long as it does not conflict with the Constitution (and it would not), there is nothing preventing the Federal Government passing a law that guarantees women the right to control their own body and make their own medical decisions. 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

I used to just think you were a moron.  It is clear you are a troll.  

Are you sure?  Here is a guide for how to be certain:

For starters, what is a troll?  A troll is anyone who disagrees with you or otherwise irritates you.  If you have someone you suspect might be a troll, the first thing to do is call them a troll.  If they deny it, then they are a troll because all trolls are liars and they just lied about being a troll.  If they would have just told the truth and admitted to being a troll, then we would know that they are a troll without all the lying.

Here are some other things to check:

• Do they ask questions?  If so, they are a concern troll.  Why else would anyone ask a question?  Makes no sense.  
  • Do they seem passionate?  If so, they are a nazi troll.
  • Do they deny voting for Trump?  If so, they are a Trump troll.  We've already covered that they are liars and this just reinforces that.
  • Are you familiar with their user name?  If not, they are a Russian troll.  Now maybe they claim to have been in the community much longer than you and that you are the newer poster in the community, but Russian trolls say stupid shit like this as a KGB counter tactic.  
  • Do they post more than you think they should?  Then they are a paid troll in a troll farm.  Probably Russian but could also be North Korean, Italian Lega, or hired guns reporting directly to the Koch brothers.

Edited by Guest