Fire Beck/Herman thread blows the servers

I hate that this is very believable 

50 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

1st play - Young for 2 yards

2nd play - Ehlinger for 4 yards

3rd play - WR screen to TE Andrew Beck for 1 yard

4th play - punters cousin with 18 yard punt

Fire Beck/Herman thread blows the servers

Prior to first play, delay of game, half the distance to the goal line. 1st and 12 from 3 because some fielded a punt inside the 10. 

• Like 1

i haven't followed the offseason thread so forgive me if these questions are common knowledge, but i've been pretty unplugged from college football for most of the offseason:

1.) is anthony wheeler suspended for the 1st half of the maryland game due to his targeting ejection late in the 2nd half of the bowl game?

2.) is cade brewer still out?  if so, when is he expected back?

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

i haven't followed the offseason thread so forgive me if these questions are common knowledge, but i've been pretty unplugged from college football for most of the offseason:

1.) is anthony wheeler suspended for the 1st half of the maryland game due to his targeting ejection late in the 2nd half of the bowl game?

2.) is cade brewer still out?  if so, when is he expected back?

1) yes

2) he's back and will play. Unkown just how close to 100% he is, but I would probably not count on him being at full strength yet.

• Like 1

Starting 1st leg of east coast trip. Headed to Boston then down to DC Thursday. 

Had to check a bag for first time in forever. I’ve got a lot of burnt orange packed!

Prepare to be shoulder checked and to have me mumble “Muledick” by way of apology. 

Hook ‘em baby 

Starting 1st leg of east coast trip. Headed to Boston then down to DC Thursday. 
Had to check a bag for first time in forever. I’ve got a lot of burnt orange packed!
Prepare to be shoulder checked and to have me mumble “Muledick” by way of apology. 
Hook ‘em baby 
Shoulder checks and muledicks. That's what Surly does.

IT

For most programs, over the course of an off-season you hear almost entirely about fixes, additions, and improvements. The end result is a crescendo of optimism engulfing nearly every fan in its path during the first game-week.

To be sure, the 2018 incarnation of Texas football has made noteworthy fixes, additions, and improvements pretty much across the board. Whether it was hiring Herb Hand as an offensive line coach with significant input in the offense, securing a quality graduate transfer player at the the program's greatest position of need, or across the board improvements in S&C, there is a lot to be optimistic about.

Even if it's just through added experience, every single position on the offense should be improved over last year.

It's no surprise expectations are high in Austin. After talking with numerous sources uniquely familiar with the program, the lowest expected win total I heard was 9 and most have it at 10.

I agree with those expectations, but I'm also curious of what would have to happen for Texas to not meet them. After all, this is Texas football in the cursed 2010s.

Q: If UT doesn't win 9-1o, what happened?
A: Poor focus leading to inconsistent play. Costly turnovers at quarterback.

Q: How would the team lack focus or how would it manifest?
A: Guys making too many mental errors. Texas lost its best on-field leader at each level of the defense. Nelson is no Poona. Wheeler is no Malik. There isn't a Deshon back there.

Q: Still, you have seniors in Nelson and Wheeler and a junior in Brandon Jones. Not to mention a leader like Breckyn Hager.
A: There's still a drop-off at each position and they lost Holton too. Davante Davis will be good but he's not the playmaker Holton was. Hager's a great leader, but when I talk about losing Poona I mean losing the guy making the right calls up front.

Q: What about zero-sum and the inability to know how good each side of the ball is?
A: That's a mild concern. This team has to go out and do it against real competition to see what's what. We know the defense is better than the offense, but we also know the offense is better than it was last year. Other than that we'll have to find out Saturday.

Q: On a scale of OU to Kansas State, how good is this offensive line? By that I mean, OU's is typically talented and well coached, while K-State's is well drilled and works well as a unit but isn't all that talented.
A: More talented than K-State. They're pretty well drilled too. They know their assignments much better than last year. I'm speaking of the starters of course. The other guys aren't nearly as disciplined.

Q: That's obviously the reason you aren't seeing Imade and Hudson, right? Not as disciplined.
A: That and not as good technically. Rodriguez is smart. He sees what defenses are doing and communicates. Imade isn't there yet.

Q: Is it safe to say the offensive line will at least be league average?
A: Yes, that's fair. Could be above average as they play more together.

Q: That's a win if so. Shackelford has had his issues with snapping the ball. It's been my contention that stems from his head swimming due to it being a mentally challenging position. Bad snaps are more likely to arise in high pressure situations so I'm not sure practice is a good barometer for improvement in that regard.
A: He used to have issues snapping in practice. I don't know if those are gone for good but he hasn't had issues in camp. Mentally I think he's improved. Still limited physically.

Q: What's your feeling on how the defense will perform?
A: My belief is the defense should be as good as last year.

Q: With those losses we spoke of, how does it become as good?
A: It's Orlando's second run through the conference and he knows what will and won't work. He knows his personnel packages much better than he did a year ago. He'll be able to generate pressure on the quarterback. The secondary will be good. Gary Johnson should clean up just about everything. That defense is going to be tough to run on. It should be more consistent overall.

Q: What's the difference between now and a year ago at this time?
A: There was a lot more confusion -- players not knowing their assignments. I think it's fair to say the players were skeptical of the coaches and vice versa. There's much more familiarity there now. Players aren't nearly as uptight. It was a good off-season.

Q: I'm looking for more cracks in the team but barring another horrendous run of bad injuries or ill-timed turnovers it seems like a 9-10 win team.
A: It should be.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

For most programs, over the course of an off-season you hear almost entirely about fixes, additions, and improvements. The end result is a crescendo of optimism engulfing nearly every fan in its path during the first game-week.

To be sure, the 2018 incarnation of Texas football has made noteworthy fixes, additions, and improvements pretty much across the board. Whether it was hiring Herb Hand as an offensive line coach with significant input in the offense, securing a quality graduate transfer player at the the program's greatest position of need, or across the board improvements in S&C, there is a lot to be optimistic about.

Even if it's just through added experience, every single position on the offense should be improved over last year.

It's no surprise expectations are high in Austin. After talking with numerous sources uniquely familiar with the program, the lowest expected win total I heard was 9 and most have it at 10.

I agree with those expectations, but I'm also curious of what would have to happen for Texas to not meet them. After all, this is Texas football in the cursed 2010s.

Q: If UT doesn't win 9-1o, what happened?
A: Poor focus leading to inconsistent play. Costly turnovers at quarterback.

Q: How would the team lack focus or how would it manifest?
A: Guys making too many mental errors. Texas lost its best on-field leader at each level of the defense. Nelson is no Poona. Wheeler is no Malik. There isn't a Deshon back there.

Q: Still, you have seniors in Nelson and Wheeler and a junior in Brandon Jones. Not to mention a leader like Breckyn Hager.
A: There's still a drop-off at each position and they lost Holton too. Davante Davis will be good but he's not the playmaker Holton was. Hager's a great leader, but when I talk about losing Poona I mean losing the guy making the right calls up front.

Q: What about zero-sum and the inability to know how good each side of the ball is?
A: That's a mild concern. This team has to go out and do it against real competition to see what's what. We know the defense is better than the offense, but we also know the offense is better than it was last year. Other than that we'll have to find out Saturday.

Q: On a scale of OU to Kansas State, how good is this offensive line? By that I mean, OU's is typically talented and well coached, while K-State's is well drilled and works well as a unit but isn't all that talented.
A: More talented than K-State. They're pretty well drilled too. They know their assignments much better than last year. I'm speaking of the starters of course. The other guys aren't nearly as disciplined.

Q: That's obviously the reason you aren't seeing Imade and Hudson, right? Not as disciplined.
A: That and not as good technically. Rodriguez is smart. He sees what defenses are doing and communicates. Imade isn't there yet.

Q: Is it safe to say the offensive line will at least be league average?
A: Yes, that's fair. Could be above average as they play more together.

Q: That's a win if so. Shackelford has had his issues with snapping the ball. It's been my contention that stems from his head swimming due to it being a mentally challenging position. Bad snaps are more likely to arise in high pressure situations so I'm not sure practice is a good barometer for improvement in that regard.
A: He used to have issues snapping in practice. I don't know if those are gone for good but he hasn't had issues in camp. Mentally I think he's improved. Still limited physically.

Q: What's your feeling on how the defense will perform?
A: My belief is the defense should be as good as last year.

Q: With those losses we spoke of, how does it become as good?
A: It's Orlando's second run through the conference and he knows what will and won't work. He knows his personnel packages much better than he did a year ago. He'll be able to generate pressure on the quarterback. The secondary will be good. Gary Johnson should clean up just about everything. That defense is going to be tough to run on. It should be more consistent overall.

Q: What's the difference between now and a year ago at this time?
A: There was a lot more confusion -- players not knowing their assignments. I think it's fair to say the players were skeptical of the coaches and vice versa. There's much more familiarity there now. Players aren't nearly as uptight. It was a good off-season.

Q: I'm looking for more cracks in the team but barring another horrendous run of bad injuries or ill-timed turnovers it seems like a 9-10 win team.
A: It should be.

Really hope this is just more 995 garbage and not the same arrogance Herman and co had entering the season. 9 or 10 wins isn't something you should bank on with this group. 

28 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Really hope this is just more 995 garbage and not the same arrogance Herman and co had entering the season. 9 or 10 wins isn't something you should bank on with this group. 

Maryland is going to have our attention this year. I think the team will come out and prove a point. 

12 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Interesting that McCulloch is listed as backup Mac. Maybe it's just for Wheeler's suspension but I thought he was primary backup for Roach.

I don't care so much about the nitty-gritty of the LB depth chart because it's all about the best 11. If a starting LB comes off the field, Orlando isn't going to automatically insert the backup at that specific position. He'll put in the next best LB (and call a defense that accommodates whoever's on the field).