After the first 6 games of season the Longhorns and Huskers will...

mulletpelini

Husker tears are glorious.   I have to think a large part of their fanbase is ragging leaving the B12.  They had so many natural ties to our league and since they left, its been mostly a losing proposition for them.  Best word I can come up with is hubris; I really think they thought their brand was bulletproof, but history now tells us their decision has been a bad one on many levels.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about Nebraska being down is that nobody seems to care. When teams like USC or Michigan or Texas are down, lots and lots and lots of articles scrutinizing everything they do right or wrong, questioning when they will be back. There is intense pressure for those schools to rebound quickly. Articles written every year they're not back in the top 25.

Nebraska? They've been down for a while now, and nobody seems to bat an eye. I'd imagine most of the country flat out forgets Nebraska exists unless they are in the top 25.

1 minute ago, BigXII said:

The funniest thing about Nebraska being down is that nobody seems to care. When teams like USC or Michigan or Texas are down, lots and lots and lots of articles scrutinizing everything they do right or wrong, questioning when they will be back. There is intense pressure for those schools to rebound quickly. Articles written every year they're not back in the top 25.

Nebraska? They've been down for a while now, and nobody seems to bat an eye. I'd imagine most of the country flat out forgets Nebraska exists unless they are in the top 25.

You mean the entire state? Because that sounds about right.

3 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Yeah. In a way I pity Nebraska fans. They have nothing else in their lives. Nothing. 

As far as I care, the football gods can take massive dumps on that program for 1,000 years b/c of what they did to Frank Solich. 

I predicted back in 2011 that Nebraska leaving the conference would destroy their program. I would claim that I have prophetic powers but that was so obvious only somebody as out of touch as the University of Nebraska administration would not have seen that coming. Going head to head with Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame for limited rust belt talent? Recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I predicted back in 2011 that Nebraska leaving the conference would destroy their program. I would claim that I have prophetic powers but that was so obvious only somebody as out of touch as the University of Nebraska administration would not have seen that coming. Going head to head with Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame for limited rust belt talent? Recipe for disaster.

Yeah, I wonder what their "thinking" was on how going to the Big Ten would affect their recruiting. 

Bold strategy. Didn't work out.

They probably thought they would dominate their division and entice recruits with games against the better Big 10 division. Or that they would return to the days of giant O-linemen who could push people around like in the 90s. Like aggy, they traded their position in the Big 12 for the exact same position or worse in the new conference but with a lot more money. So I mean at least being a whore for the money is working out in that regard. They traded winning the Big 12 North and losing to the Big 12 South teams for occasionally winning the Big 10 Lesser division and losing to Michigan, tOSU, and Penn State. Never mind that they play a ton of dregs that gets absolutely no one interested in their games. I mean I can't wait to watch them play Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, and Iowa. That's must watch TV. 

• Like 1

Just now, Asithappens said:

Yeah, I wonder what their "thinking" was on how going to the Big Ten would affect their recruiting. 

Bold strategy. Didn't work out.

I can sum up their thinking y their 2010 slogan: "Wear Red. Be Loud. Beat Texas."

Their mindset was literally nothing more than a middle finger to the University of Texas. They cut off their enormous pants-pissing nose to spite their face. Worked out like a charm, eh?

7 minutes ago, BigXII said:

I can sum up their thinking y their 2010 slogan: "Wear Red. Be Loud. Beat Texas."

Their mindset was literally nothing more than a middle finger to the University of Texas. They cut off their enormous pants-pissing nose to spite their face. Worked out like a charm, eh?

Well, I like the way it turned out.  :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Exactly this. With no in-state talent they NEED a consistent pipeline into Texas, Florida or California. Oops.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah. In a way I pity Nebraska fans. They have nothing else in their lives. Nothing. 

As far as I care, the football gods can take massive dumps on that program for 1,000 years b/c of what they did to Frank Solich. 

Frank Solich?  Yeah because he went on to prove to be such a great P5 coach who was always in high demand.

Nebraska did a lot of stupid shit...hiring Pelini and leaving the Big 12 among the stupidest.  But firing Solich wasn’t one of them.

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Exactly.

NU pretty much was forced to abandon the Texas recruiting grounds because Nebraska, without B12 rivals, simply does not have the cache of, say, an Ohio State in the B1G.

"My name is Ozymandius." Thus do empires die, lol.

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

This is exactly right.  Not nearly enough rust belt talent to supply them all.  Texas has enough to go around.  They just traded their Texas / OU problem for a Michigan / Ohio St problem and added in a smaller recruiting pool.  Brilliant.

• Like 1

I feel like their new ceiling is basically going to be Iowa.  Even when they have good seasons, no one gives a fuck or will watch them.  They gave up their rivalry game with ou.  They had history with Texas.  Those games brought attention to their program.  Now, they are simply an after thought.  Nothing about their program interests me.  I feel the same way about Iowa.  Just boring programs.

11 hours ago, BigXII said:

I was at that game it was amazing watching Garret Gilbert look like VY against them. All the fans looked at me after every good play (was decked out in Burnt Orange and loud).

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

Exactly this. With no in-state talent they NEED a consistent pipeline into Texas, Florida or California. Oops.

Nebraska will be fine.  Look, kids will always go to the national power programs with success in football that they identify with as 10 year old to 17 year old recruits,  so they will continue to go to.....wait! Oh Shit!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Husker tears are glorious.   I have to think a large part of their fanbase is ragging leaving the B12.  They had so many natural ties to our league and since they left, its been mostly a losing proposition for them.  Best word I can come up with is hubris; I really think they thought their brand was bulletproof, but history now tells us their decision has been a bad one on many levels.

I'd think if Husker fans, if they had an honest choice, would now pick to return to the XII... Even fans of rival schools in the B1G question if it was best for NU...

17 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Nebraska will be fine.  Look, kids will always go to the national power programs with success in football that they identify with as 10 year old to 17 year old recruits,  so they will continue to go to.....wait! Oh Shit!

I think if anyone can turn around the fortunes of the Bugeaters, it would be Scotty Frost, if that is a bust...then I dunno...

Hard to say.... they were already on the decline when they left.  Moving to the Big10 got them paid but probably put the kill shot into the program.  Interesting that Osborn basically signed their death warrant.

Osborn signed their death warrant when he agreed to end their massive cheating nonqual "walk on" horseshit.

When Texas forced that on those morons as a condition of being in the big 12 they were screwed.

They’d have to go back to the big 8 and get back all their partial and non qualifiers that suddenly get studious at nowledge university and are cleared to play after a year of basket weaving classes. 

In other words go back to cheating.

“...on a roll... gonna throw it! Got him wiiide open baby!! Derek Lewis in a footrace! “

The end. Of Nebraska. Look at the records, that’s reality. Texas ended them. Lol

Yep, Texas did by forcing them to end their cheating.

Their bad decision happened at the birth of the big 12. All the rest is full diapers of failure.

Leaving the conferece had nothing to do with their destruction. Joining the big 12 had everything to do with their destruction.

They have TONS of in state talent. Unfortunately their in state talent are all high functioning morons. Without their bullshit nonqual walk on cheating program they cant utilize the high functioning morons like they did before the big 12 existed.

Frank Solich?  Yeah because he went on to prove to be such a great P5 coach who was always in high demand.

Nebraska did a lot of stupid shit...hiring Pelini and leaving the Big 12 among the stupidest.  But firing Solich wasn’t one of them.

JOINING the big 12 was the stupidist. Leaving? It didnt make a shit. Shoulda gone independent and kept cheating.

Out of curiosity, what are everyone's thoughts on letting them back into the B12 if they came crawling back?

Nope.

Watching Nebraska be brought down to the level of perennial has-beens has been one of my greater joys in life. It couldn't have happened to a better bunch.

Indeed

I think if anyone can turn around the fortunes of the Bugeaters, it would be Scotty Frost, if that is a bust...then I dunno...

Scott Frost had a huge pool of talent in Florida to draw from at UCF. And they are smart enough to be qualifiers.

All the talent in braska is dumb as a stump. Scottie is fucked. Poor bastard.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

JOINING the big 12 was the stupidist. Leaving? It didnt make a shit. Shoulda gone independent and kept cheating.

They would have gone broke going independent. That was not a possibility. So I don't get the 'shoulda' outside of some sort of fantasy context.

The rules of the Big 12 might have harmed them, but that does not mean that leaving 'didn't make a shit'. You did nothing to counter what was the heart of my argument.

Edited by Valmy77