Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

The only way he gets fired mid-season is Urban says yes, otherwise it’s end of season because coaches aren’t available yet.

if Urban declines and UNC keeps winning, everyone should get a little nervous.  But seriously, I would welcome Mack back for 2021 before I would welcome Mensa back, and that’s saying a lot.   Going 11-1 and losing to OU every year is better than going 7-5 and losing to OU every year.  

Fuck no on Mack.  But he wouldn't come back.

Going 11-1 and losing to OU every year is better than going 7-5 and losing to OU every year.  

I don’t want to walk all over your quote here, because I completely understand what you’re saying... but this Longhorns team coached by Mack would have destroyed whatever the fuck OU team that was on Saturday. That team is awful.

Tom’s team literally let them bench their starting QB, then UN-bench him so he could then beat you.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I'm in the "he'll figure out a way to weasel into 6-4" camp. Could the team go 3-7? For sure. They almost lost to KU last year and should have lost to Tech this year. Anything can happen with this idiot, but he's got enough talent to be the pussy he craves to be. Simply keep everything close, hope Ehlinger can pull something out at the end or he can sit on a lead until the game is over. 

This team is so brutally undisciplined and committing the same mistakes it's been making during his entire regime, and then that gets coupled with all of his stupid-ass tendencies. It's extremely nauseating and tedious to witness at this point. 

I hope the rumors are true and that him being gone is a done deal. CDC balked at doing anything last year. He better have his shit together right now. 

Just like many others, fuck it, I'll take Urban Meyer. That said, if that turns out to be the fantasy it appears to be, I sure as shit hope they hire someone who can actually fucking coach and outwork opponents from the X's and O's POV above all things. It has been forever and a day since we had that. In fact, I'm not sure I've been alive since it occurred. I was too young to remember Akers before the 1984 Cotton Bowl and, yeah. McWilliams? No. Mackovic? On some level, occasionally, but not really. Mack Brown? Please. Chuckles? Oh fuck. Herman? LOL. Brutal.

• Hook 'Em 4

First question: does CDC want to fire Herman?

Second question: does CDC have to fire Herman?

I believe the answer to both is "no". We might not see it this way but there are tons of influential people close to the decision makers who see the COVID-truncated 2020 season as worthy of a mulligan (and the decision makers themselves might feel that way, too). CDC is not an "off with their heads!" type, he is averse to creating churn through change, and it would be easier on him and much cheaper if Herman worked out. Herman still meets all of the unwritten but ever-important "We're Texas" requirements for keeping up appearances. The kids win some games, we never get embarrassed on the scorboard, they don't get in trouble off the field, and there's not even a whiff of scandal around the program. Why, a lot of the kids are showing that they're leaders in the community!

Unless there's a total on-field collapse, there is nothing currently going on with this program that will get its coach fired. We all think the situation is totally unacceptable, but we're wrong. It's totally acceptable to our decision makers.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was too young to remember Akers

Totally guilty of being too prideful to change anything he did, ever. He thought the same shit he did to recruit and coach the kids who were seniors on the 1983 team would continue to attract enough talent and whip his opponents. By the 1984 collapse, it was already too late to change. 

I don’t think that is the intent of his post. The intent was to show we just aren’t gonna roll over and go 3-7. 
No one thinks we'll "roll over and go 3-7."

Most likely we'll play like dog shit for 3 unwatchable quarters, fall into a big hole, then Sam will somehow play us back into the game late in the 4th before we let it slip away again in some heartbreaking fashion.

That's how we'll go 3-7, in the most miserable, gut wrenching way possible.

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Let this fucking tweet sink into your heads if you don’t think this mother fucker should be fired today. 

the worst OU team in 22 years btw and we lost to them

I’m going to quote my own post so people have to see it twice. LET THIS SINK IN AND CAN THIS MOTHER FUCKER TODAY

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I believe the answer to both is "no". We might not see it this way but there are tons of influential people close to the decision makers who see the COVID-truncated 2020 season as worthy of a mulligan (and the decision makers themselves might feel that way, too). CDC is not an "off with their heads!" type, he is averse to creating churn through change, and it would be easier on him and much cheaper if Herman worked out. Herman still meets all of the unwritten but ever-important "We're Texas" requirements for keeping up appearances. The kids win some games, we never get embarrassed on the scorboard, they don't get in trouble off the field, and there's not even a whiff of scandal around the program. Why, a lot of the kids are showing that they're leaders in the community!

Unless there's a total on-field collapse, there is nothing currently going on with this program that will get its coach fired. We all think the situation is totally unacceptable, but we're wrong. It's totally acceptable to our decision makers.

It doesn't matter what CDC wants.  Empty stadiums, lack of season ticket renewals, sponsorships, and donations is going to force his hand.  Someone has to pay for all these upgrades. 

51 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Does CDC have $25MM for the buyout and $10MM per necessary to get a top notch coach?  BMDs is how we got Herman and Patterson is how we got Strong. We got Mack through BMDs and would’ve had Barnett had it been solely up to a Dodds.

I agree with you somewhat, though. It is hard to argue CDC’s penchant for hiring good coaches, though he’s never done it at this level. If I’m Hicks Bros, Rowling, McCombs and Hildebrand right now, I am telling him, “This is solely YOUR hire, just fucking making sure it’s Urban and let me know if you need help with his contract, and let me know if any pansy administrative type or Regent gives you grief about Urban’s track record.”

BMDs must be involved  

we got Mack through DKR(and BMD's being on board).

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I feel very confident with these players that there is about to be a locker room revolt/uprising/protest (justified or not) that will force CDCs hand

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm in the "he'll figure out a way to weasel into 6-4" camp. Could the team go 3-7? For sure. They almost lost to KU last year and should have lost to Tech this year. Anything can happen with this idiot, but he's got enough talent to be the pussy he craves to be. Simply keep everything close, hope Ehlinger can pull something out at the end or he can sit on a lead until the game is over. 

This team is so brutally undisciplined and committing the same mistakes it's been making during his entire regime, and then that gets coupled with all of his stupid-ass tendencies. It's extremely nauseating and tedious to witness at this point. 

I hope the rumors are true and that him being gone is a done deal. CDC balked at doing anything last year. He better have his shit together right now. 

Just like many others, fuck it, I'll take Urban Meyer. That said, if that turns out to be the fantasy it appears to be, I sure as shit hope they hire someone who can actually fucking coach and outwork opponents from the X's and O's POV above all things. It has been forever and a day since we had that. In fact, I'm not sure I've been alive since it occurred. I was too young to remember Akers before the 1984 Cotton Bowl and, yeah. McWilliams? No. Mackovic? On some level, occasionally, but not really. Mack Brown? Please. Chuckles? Oh fuck. Herman? LOL. Brutal.

So excluding Urban, what coaches should TEXAS consider hiring that "can actually fucking coach and outwork opponents from the X's and O's POV above all things."

Personally, I don't think Campbell or Fleck are right for TEXAS...

Nahlin: Tom Herman: In case you couldn’t tell, Tom Herman is in very hot water. His seat began to warm last year but Chris Del Conte decided to support Herman revitalizing the coaching staff. After a 2-2 start that should be 1-3, Herman has very little chance of saving his tenure. The 25% chance I gave him of keeping his job on Saturday was generous as I worked to find out more. After further discussions I give him much less of a chance. Read between the lines.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I recall Dodds really wanting Barnett. Hicks and McCombs wanted Mack and somewhat forced it upon Dodds. I do not recall DKR being involved. 

DKR(along with a couple of players he trusted) talked with Mack and told Hicks/McCombs/Jamail that he was the guy. yes Dodds wanted Barnett and DKR told the money Mack was the guy. I heard it straight from DKR's mouth on a SW flight.  he sat right across from me when SW used to have those seating areas that faced each other.

He also drew on a piece of paper what UCLA did to Mackovic during rout 66.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Nahlin: Tom Herman: In case you couldn’t tell, Tom Herman is in very hot water. His seat began to warm last year but Chris Del Conte decided to support Herman revitalizing the coaching staff. After a 2-2 start that should be 1-3, Herman has very little chance of saving his tenure. The 25% chance I gave him of keeping his job on Saturday was generous as I worked to find out more. After further discussions I give him much less of a chance. Read between the lines.

Tuesday is always the big day for us 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Okay. Well, I was responding to someone’s post who said BMDs need to stay out of it.  They can’t when they are likely contributing financially to the ordeal, and I don’t expect them to. 

we don't have a DKR unfortunately.  I'm not saying DKR is perfect.  we got McWilliams as a way to try to bring DKR back in the fold after Akers(DKR wanted Campbell to get the job when Akers got it).

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Thanks - sounds to me like the key stakeholders are in agreement given the 6-6 record in conference play since beginning of 2019. Simply unacceptable 

Edited by 6th Street

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That’s great news. Now I need to know if Urban is a possibility and when. 

Nahlin...infer what you will: Del Conte is very proactive in situations like these. I’m sure he has books written on PJ Fleck, Matt Campbell, and a few others, but he’s also the sort to be very aggressive and aim high. If there’s a coach out there with a big enough personality to help the program overcome its current woes, that will help that coach’s case immensely. Del Conte needs help on that front. He needs a coach who can return the transactional nature of big time football to the program. It’s amazing how trivial standing with your teammates for a song after a game seems if you’re winning and developing into a millionaire.

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas