Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

No. That's some old school shit that used to work. There's a transfer-portal now that gives these kids a far better option than they've ever had. Keep 'em as happy as you can. Let 'em rally around one of the coaches they already know. The boat's gunna rock, but make it rock as little as possible. 

Or maybe I'm missing something. I'd be willing to say I'm wrong on this. No problem with that at all.

Portal works both ways. Urban would make up for it and then some.

And I think we've seen enough under the last 2 HCs to realize that players are only part of the equation. 3 stars with great coaching beat 4 stars with shitty coaching twice on Sundays.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

I understand I made a mistake trying to be serious here. 

I'm being serious, and there are some reasons starting Meyer right away would be a bad idea, but transfer portal fear feels really low on that list.

Now, my opinion on this changes a ton if it's pretty much anyone other than Meyer. If it's him, it's to your advantage to announce it and get him involved asap. If it's not, you play things much differently/more cautiously.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Depends on what caliber of player enters the portal from your end. 

It seems crazy, but interim HC + Meyer named and recruiting seems like a good option. Has this been done before at any major program?

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Now, my opinion on this changes a ton if it's pretty much anyone other than Meyer. If it's him, it's to your advantage to announce it and get him involved asap. If it's not, you play things much differently/more cautiously.

Agree with this part, at least. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin has flagrantly made shit up in his career. I witnessed it first hand on multiple occasions. He viewed it as a means to an end with the "everybody does it" justification. That considered, that was a decade ago. Has the guy matured, gotten better contacts and resources, and developed a sense of integrity when it comes to reporting? I hope so. People can change. 

In an ironic twist, you can now damned sure trust info on stuff like this coming from IT based on changes made this summer. So, sure, take some heart that Nahlin is comparing notes and going with info from multiple confirmed sources. 

What were your thoughts on Jesus?  He was way ahead on the Saban stuff.

7 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Hey guys, we're firing Tom Herman and replacing him with Urban Meyer.

No wait, please, don't everyone rush for the transfer portal at once. Isn't anyone going to stay?

Exactly. I think we’d actually have a lot of teleports into the program, not out of it.

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It seems crazy, but interim HC + Meyer named and recruiting seems like a good option. Has this been done before at any major program?

Bama was close. Shula was fired after iron bowl.  Saban quit the dolphins less than month later  and had a job waiting for him in Ttown. Everyone knew Shula was a dead man walking. 

Edited by jdhorn92

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And I think we've seen enough under the last 2 HCs to realize that players are only part of the equation. 3 stars with great coaching beat 4 stars with shitty coaching twice on Sundays.

IMO, a reason why Urban wouldn't come on now is because our OL is ass my dude.  He needs to hit the portal for grad transfers.

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm not sure what the NCAA rules would be with regard to Meyer and recruiting if this was done/announced.

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Do you think Carrington would stay on?

I would doubt it but Meyer has never needed Carrington to recruit Texas before.

That would be a lose lose scenario. Culture isn’t created in a week or month. It takes time. You hire him and we struggle To finish the season then we lose all momentum that a hire like Urban would bring.  No way urban would put himself in a vulnerable position like that. As others have said , the best scenario would be interim with a coordinator. Let urban advise from on high and everyone is on working interview. No other way to do it than that.  

He should start asap, but only on evaluations and recruiting, nothing involving game coaching.

By the end of this season, he'd know what he's dealing with from a staff and personnel standpoint, and have already impacted 21/22 classes. That's the best case scenario.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

And that’s why we are a shit program. Any reasonable athletic department that takes football serious would fire him mid season. Keeping him around until after the season just to fire him literally does not good and causes more harm. 

We didn’t fire Mackovick during his opposing team tearing down the goalposts tour back in 97 so I doubt Herman will be fired at mid season. I just hope he’s fired the day after the season ends. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I just don't see many guys on this team as irreplaceable. The ones that are are on their way out the door, anyway.

I'd like to keep Bijan and Whitt. Casey. Alfred Collins. Jamison. Jared Wiley. I get disinterested pretty quickly after that. Ossai isn't staying. Sam will either declare or stay.

Not only do we not develop, I'm not sure we get the right guys on campus.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I don't mean that. I mean officially. As in Urban is in the building, and Ash/Yurcich is HC on the field.

Yeah I got that, i agree probably not like we are Hoping plays out.  And I was off on my timing a bit as well. I edited post. Saban quit in Jan, Shula fires first of dec

Edited by jdhorn92

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

He should start asap, but only on evaluations and recruiting, nothing involving game coaching.

By the end of this season, he'd know what he's dealing with from a staff and personnel standpoint, and have already impacted 21/22 classes. That's the best case scenario.

Yup agree with this. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I just don't see many guys on this team as irreplaceable. The ones that are are on their way out the door, anyway.

I'd like to keep Bijan and Whitt. Casey. Alfred Collins. Jamison. Jared Wiley. I get disinterested pretty quickly after that. Ossai isn't staying. Sam will either declare or stay.

Not only do we not develop, I'm not sure we get the right guys on campus.

All fair points. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

We didn’t fire Mackovick during his opposing team tearing down the goalposts tour back in 97 so I doubt Herman will be fired at mid season. I just hope he’s fired the day after the season ends. 

This isn’t 1997. 90%+ of recruits are signing mid December, not February. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think you have the wrong poster. I didn't even watch the game because I had patients and I didn't want to be pissed off all weekend. 

No. It was definitely you. 

On 9/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, Burt Macklin said:

A few correctable mistakes would’ve been fine, but our list of correctable mistakes make War and Peace look like a Novella. 

On 9/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, Bevo said:

Yeah, but OU and TCU have just as many "correctable" mistakes. As long as we/Overshown improve each week, we will be fine.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

I don't think you're wrong, but I'm not sure 23 years ago is all that great a barometer.  The game is very different now in almost every aspect.  Recruiting is 2 mo earlier, media is omnipresent, the rules are different, the field surface we use now didn't even exist then, on and on.  Hell, the stadium didn't have an east side upper deck and there was a track around the field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I can’t help but go back to Herman saying after a loss early in his tenure (can’t remember which game, probably Maryland) that he doesn’t believe in momentum. That might seem like a insignificant statement to some but that’s always stuck with me as a red flag. This kinda explains why he’s so quick to abandon the run game, why we sabotage our own drives with goofy reverses, etc. Also would explain why we didn’t go for 2 after regulation or OT 2 when we had OU defense on their heels. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here is how it should go. You fire Herman and hire urban within a couple of weeks. Tag an interim head coach to finish out the year. 

let urban start his recruiting so we can salvage the 2021 class. After season is completed Urban notifies which coaches will be dismissed and if any will be retained. 

Urban brings in his guys January or whenever and starts fresh in the spring. 
Meanwhile Urban travels the country on the tv and buffet circuit talking up the program. O can dream.

People worrying about the 2021 recruiting class crack me up. That shouldn’t be a factor in any of this. If we hire the right coach, the talent will flood here and a 2021 transition class won’t matter. 

If Meyer can come on board quickly, then we should absolutely do it, and he could probably save the 2021 class, but it’s not as simple as CDC just going out and hiring him today. There’s a ton of internal roadblocks he’d have to navigate, and who knows if Meyer would even want to start right now.

otherwise, firing Herman now or later won’t matter for recruiting or transfers, because we won’t have a new coach in place until the damage has already been done. Having Ash or whoever as interim coach will be just as bad for recruiting and transfers, if not worse, than leaving Herman in place til November and then bringing on the new coach right after you fire Herman. Whether it’s Herman or having an interim coach for the next few months, we’re going to see a ton of attrition and the 2021 class tank.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great news Coach Herman!  The Baylor game has been scheduled for 2:30p.  I know how those 11:00a kick-offs have been scaring you to death.  

He actually did say some shit about how 11:00a kickoffs favor road teams somehow.  I forget the bullshit excuse he was serious, said it between TCU and OU games, even though we are also technically a road team at OU. Anyway, I'm sure the 2:30p kickoff will favor Baylor somehow, at DKR, because of that long commute from Waco where they can get focused.  I dunno.  This guy is a bigger excuse machine than Mack Brown.  At least Mack did it with some charisma and empathy.  We knew he was full of shit, but he pretended not to be a complete and total asshole about it (until the last couple seasons).  Herman went to full on dicknose mode after his first game here.  

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas