Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

28 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It still blows me away that Ed fucking orgeron has enough swamp ass brains in him to fire the OC at lsu even after going 9-4 but Tom can't release tim beck after 7-5 and after he had to call the bowl game.

How do you pay someone 800K a year to call plays then take over play calling or use the excuse its a team game planning effort?

Then said ex OC from lsu beats you. 

I don't think I could ever make this scenario up if I even tried. 

Well when you put it that way. FUCK!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Here's a fun scenario to think about: our defense steadily improves throughout the year, and despite spending a lot of time on the field due to our inept offense, becomes a very good unit. The offense continues to look like Derka trying to dribble 2 basketballs at the same time. We end up with 6 or so regular season wins and recruiting stalls/takes a nose dive as a result. Orlando realizes his stock is high and that his job of recruiting top talent and putting up top defenses is only going to get more difficult and decides to take a HC job. Meanwhile, Herman parts ways with Beck, Warehime, & Mehringer.

In this scenario, how confident are you Herman is going to make hires that can save his job? 

Not one bit confident. Same thing as after Charlie's second year. Almost impossible to convince someone with proven ability to join a staff (or for a good recruit to sign on) if they've only got one year to fix things before getting the boot.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Here's a fun scenario to think about: our defense steadily improves throughout the year, and despite spending a lot of time on the field due to our inept offense, becomes a very good unit. The offense continues to look like Derka trying to dribble 2 basketballs at the same time. We end up with 6 or so regular season wins and recruiting stalls/takes a nose dive as a result. Orlando realizes his stock is high and that his job of recruiting top talent and putting up top defenses is only going to get more difficult and decides to take a HC job. Meanwhile, Herman parts ways with Beck, Warehime, & Mehringer.

In this scenario, how confident are you Herman is going to make hires that can save his job? 

There's nothing remotely fun in that scenario.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Reminds me of some sales managers I have hired in the past.  Great salesmen, great minds for sales...smart fuckers (haven't cross checked the MENSA roster yet) but their sales teams always under-performed in spite of all assurances to the contrary.  They legitimately believed and assumed that since they were leading the team...their message would miraculously transfer by some osmosis of the mind shit and enable them to turn a mediocre sales force into an unstoppable selling machine.

They couldn't get what was in their mind to translate into performance on the streets....and they were too stubborn or arrogant to understand that they were the problem in delivering the message.

Ted Williams was a notoriously bad manager for the same reasons. He just could not teach what he knew about hitting and baseball to his proteges, and worse, he couldn't understand why they couldn't grasp what he told them to do. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

why do we constantly open up the year against decent teams.  Seems to me swapping Tulsa/SJS/utep  and Maryland/Notre dame would do more in preparing the team for the season.  Even if they step on their dicks and the coaches suck, theybwould at least get up to game speed before playing a formidable opponent.  Granted Texas still should not have lost to Maryland.  Fuck I'm still pissed.  

4 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

why do we constantly open up the year against decent teams.  Seems to me swapping Tulsa/SJS/utep  and Maryland/Notre dame would do more in preparing the team for the season.  Even if they step on their dicks and the coaches suck, theybwould at least get up to game speed before playing a formidable opponent.  Granted Texas still should not have lost to Maryland.  Fuck I'm still pissed.  

Terrible reasoning. The coaching staff had an entire offseason to prepare this team for week 1 and failed miserably, for the second season in a row. Playing more cupcakes would merely be taking the easy way out to briefly mask the issue at hand.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

My guess is, $$$$. Lots of teams fuck off for the first week, and some teams have said hey lets jump in that cupcake weekend with a good game and get some eyes.

9 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

My guess is that when we scheduled them the assumption was that Texas would be back and would handle them easily. For a healthy and strong program, Maryland is a perfect program to whoop on while not looking like a bully. Welp....

13 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My guess is that when we scheduled them the assumption was that Texas would be back and would handle them easily. For a healthy and strong program, Maryland is a perfect program to whoop on while not looking like a bully. Welp....

The home and home was announced 9/22/2010. Three days before UCLA. My thinking is.. now that we have finally completed the home and home, our sorry shit performance will now end. 

https://texassports.com/news/2010/9/22/092210aad_810.aspx

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

That scenario doesn't seem fun at all.  

Cross posting this from the beck thread. 
Here’s Tim on Herman’s involvement in play calling during the Maryland game and how the crowdsourcing pick a play model works. I don’t see how this could go wrong. 
“I thought it was great. We communicate things I see up there to him. Things that this might be good right here, or hey, what about this? So does he. He sees the same things. One thing that he has that I don’t is got the feel of them. He can look in their eyes and say, ‘Hey, we’re going to run it here because I can tell the o-line is ready. We’re going to mash them right here. Let's do this. I think it was a great adjustment. It was awesome. We kind of do that anyway. It’s always been that way. You get Drew (Mehringer) and Derek (Warehime). Herb (Hand) is going to say, ‘Run the power here.’ Okay, we’re going to run power. We’re kind of all in that together. As I mentioned before, we game plan, we have a list – here’s third down, here’s what we’re going to call. That’s what we kind of go off of.”
So he's admitting he doesn't really do anything?

What would you say, you DO here, Tim?
  • Haha 1

Make his fight on the hill in the early day
Constant chill deep inside
Shouting gun, on they run through the endless grey
On they fight, for they're right
Yes, but who's to say?
For a hill, men would kill
Why? They do not know
Stiffened wounds test their pride
Men of five still alive through the raging glow
Gone insane from the pain that they surely know

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Playing too hard is not a good reason for losing. 

And this is where Herman completely lost me. In my years of playing competitive sports, not a single coach told us after a loss that we played too hard. 

"Ok, coach, we'll ease up next game."

Gee, why would he do that?

Because Twitter is a complete waste of time and energy?

I sweatergawd, when the archaeologist are digging us up in a thousand years trying to figure out why our civilization collapsed, the first question is going to be why in the fuck would they have invented things that give every moron on the planet a voice?

• Like 1

It's been 5 days and I just get more pissed about that shit show loss. Hey, Tom, you embarrassed us on a national level then shoveled some ridiculously deep bs trying to convince us that it wasn't bad that we lost? Again? To fucking Maryland?

Try "That was unacceptable and heads are gonna roll. No job is safe. Changes will be made now and we are going to kick ass." Then actually do that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

Gee, I sure hope it's not because I drunkenly called him a "less likable Made-in-Taiwan knock off version of John Mackovic with half the talent and twice the arrogance."

Now that I think about it, I feel kind of bad. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Taiwanese knock offs and my use of that phrase really wasn't very sensitive to the people who design and make them.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Playing too hard is not a good reason for losing.  There are no good reasons for losing.  Here, in 2018, we are in the "post fact" era.  But don't try to slip a cheap jedi mind trick past this fanbase.  Do not insult us with a cheap attempt to mind-fuck us.  Leave that to the politicians and media.

This reminds me of the job interview question "What is your biggest flaw?"

Lots of people will say something like "I work too hard" or "I'm a perfectionist."

#1.  Those are bullshit answers designed to impress, and no, they don't impress.

#2.  Everyone has flaws.  The people who do the best will be the ones who can identify their flaws and work to correct/minimize them.

Apply #1 and #2 to Herman claiming we lost because we tried too hard.  He's selling snake oil.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

“I thought it was great. We communicate things I see up there to him. He sees the same things. One thing that he has that I don’t is got the feel of them. It was awesome. We kind of do that anyway. It’s always been that way. You get Drew (Mehringer) and Derek (Warehime). Herb (Hand) is going to say, ‘Run the power here.’ Okay, we’re going to run power. We’re kind of all in that together. As I mentioned before, we game plan, we have a list – here’s third down, here’s what we’re going to call. That’s what we kind of go off of.” Tim Beck

2012_09_10_Tower_Lights_nathan_goldsmith

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Mack was thin skinned, but he won an MNC and played for another.  

Herman isn't going to make it here.  I didn't like this hire or the last but I absolutely want/wanted them to succeed because I hate losing.  But like his predecessor, TH is in way over his head.   

We could give him 10 years and he might grow and mature into a decent coach, but this isn't one of those kind of jobs.   If I were an odds maker I would put it at 90% he's done at the end of next season, 6% something comes up/really bad season and he's gone at the end of this year, 4% he turns it around and sees season 4   

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic