Yo, predict the rest of the season..

Pancho

On 8/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, JBJ said:

I picked 8-4 and think 7-5 is equally likely.

Sticking with 8-4, but switching to 9-3 being equally likely.

I thought they are overhyped to start the season, but WVU looks the part.

OkSt, Tech, Iowa St: We will be favored, but 2-1 is reasonable.  1-2 with some bad luck.

We are still a jeckyl/hyde football team - 3 head scratchers and 3 great wins.  Ask me again in two weeks.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Taking bets for how long @SteelEER lasts. 

Does he make it to the end of October?

BTW not wasting my negs on a troll like you. Don't worry, you should pick up plenty elsewhere. 

Wow that is “Surly” right there. Are you threatening me with a negative heart?!? Holy shit I’m shaking. 

I’ll be be here through the rest of the season! Try the veal. Tip your waiter.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

I think we're gonna have a 10-year celebration of a 3-way clusterfuck tie at the top of the standings.  With each team being 1-1 against the other two.  We beat OU, WVU beats us, OU beats WVU.  

On 10/6/2018 at 4:12 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Every team left on the schedule can beat us, minus kansas

i think we lose one to either osu/wvu, lose to tech, and maybe lose to a team we shouldnt, like isu

I'm not sure why you're removing Kansas from that list.

We should beat every team on our schedule. And because we play down to our competition, we might lose to any of them.

Tom Herman isn't quite John Mackovic Part 2, but eerily similar.

I think we're gonna have a 10-year celebration of a 3-way clusterfuck tie at the top of the standings.  With each team being 1-1 against the other two.  We beat OU, WVU beats us, OU beats WVU.  

Are ou and wvu also going to pick up a non conference loss somewhere along the way?

13 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Props to the DL.  Early in the game the front 3 were Bimage, Wilbon and Graham.  What a nice feeling to go 6 deep.  Charles O and Hagar played lights out, but its nice to have young depth.  I think that alone gives me hope we can finish well.

Our backup DL has been good this year, but the OU game was not a great day for them.

5 minutes ago, deft said:

Are ou and wvu also going to pick up a non conference loss somewhere along the way?

I forgot about the overall record.  It's been that long since I've looked up "tie-breaker" on the Big 12 site since we haven't exactly "Been in the Mix" for a decade.  Should have been obvious to me.  Anyway, for real shits n' giggles...game out if we make it to the Big 12 Championship with a 8-1/10-2 record. Win it and I think we're automatically in the Sugar Bowl/non-CFP game this year as league champ.  Lose it at 9-3 and probably fall out of the NY6 mix and to the Alamo Bowl again.  Lose two league games and I think we're out of the title game mix, but could possibly hold a tie-breaker over OU if we lose two and they drop another one along the way (which is possible with WVU and TCU on the road).  So that's 7-2/9-3, again pull off the upset and get to Arlington and then the Sugar Bowl.  Lose that one, and would slide down to CampingWorld Bowl I would think, without outside shot at Alamo Bowl.  

If we were to drop all three question mark games (@OSU, WVU, @TTU), that's 8-4 still.  CampingWorld Bowl would be hard pressed to skip over us.  Curious how we'd travel to Orlando just days after Christmas.  Next up would be Texas Bowl again in Houston, who'd probably not like to take us three times in a row, but I bet they'd do it.  I can't see us doing any worse than that, no way we'd slide down at 8-4 to the Liberty Bowl or worse.  

When you think about it, I don't know that we could play into an at-large berth into the Fiesta or Peach this year, because I think we only make the NY6 mix as league champions.  Only scenario, and correct me if I'm wrong, would be go win out at 9-0/11-1, but then lose the title game and stay 11-2.  Then I think Fiesta or Peach would pick us up as the league winner goes onto Sugar Bowl.  Unless that 1-loss Big 12 champion gets to the CFP which is entirely possible.

14 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I'm actually most worried about the road OSU and Tech games on either side of the WVU game.

I actually think those games stack up well for us.  We'll get to see relatively "pure" air raid offenses in three straight weeks--none of whom focus on dual threat quarterbacks.  Ideally, we get better against each team as the games go on.  Frankly, we might play the games in order of difficulty, too, since we get WVU at home and have to go to Tech on the road.  There's not a ton of daylight between WVU and Tech this year.  oSu's lines are substantially worse than they have been recently, especially with Darrion Daniels out for the rest of the year.

If we are going to dream, it's hard for me seeing a 1 loss Texas getting into the CFP if Notre Dame goes undefeated, since they are going to be under enormous pressure to take both Georgia and Alabama regardless of who loses the SEC championship, assuming that team is 1 loss.   Possibly if there is a mulitple loss Big 10 champion.

1 minute ago, dilloncp98 said:

Well, we’re not in the SEC, OU isn’t in the SEC, and the SEC championship game is played in Atlanta

OMG I'm an idiot. B12CG. But point stands, finishing a 13-1 season with back-to-back wins over OU and aggy would be fucking epic.

Edited by Thermos H. Christ

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

If we are going to dream, it's hard for me seeing a 1 loss Texas getting into the CFP if Notre Dame goes undefeated, since they are going to be under enormous pressure to take both Georgia and Alabama regardless of who loses the SEC championship, assuming that team is 1 loss.   Possibly if there is a mulitple loss Big 10 champion.

I feel like every year, around this time, we expect multiple undefeated teams entering championship weekend. It usually doesn’t happen. Teams will slip up. I’d be shocked if we go into the championship games with an undeafted Alabama, UGA, OSU, Clemson, and Notre Dame. I can’t predict their losses, but I don’t think the top 5 will hold form for 6 weeks straight. 

Edited by dilloncp98
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

I feel like every year, around this time, we expect multiple undefeated teams entering championship weekend. It usually doesn’t happen. Teams will slip up. I’d be shocked if we go into the championship games with an undeafted Alabama, UGA, OSU, Clemson, and Notre Dame. I can’t predict their losses, but I don’t think the top 5 will hold form for 6 weeks straight. 

Yeah but imagine somehow tOSU, Clemson, Colorado, WVU, Georgia and ND all finish undefeated with Bama taking their one loss in the SECCG. I think that might be tipping point that destroys any semblance of legitimacy to the playoff champion and gets us a playoff expansion, much in the way the LSU-Bama rematch killed the BCS. Bonus chaos points if one or more of the left-out undefeated teams dominates in their NY6 bowl and claims a championship. 

Nd doesn’t have to be undefeated to remain ahead of Texas.  It depends on who they lose to and how badly, but I could easily see them staying ahead of us even with a 13 game Texas winning streak because the loss was to Maryland. 

Which is why, in this unlikely scenario, it would help for Maryland to find 6 wins and be a bowl team. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Nd doesn’t have to be undefeated to remain ahead of Texas.  It depends on who they lose to and how badly, but I could easily see them staying ahead of us even with a 13 game Texas winning streak because the loss was to Maryland. 

Which is why, in this unlikely scenario, it would help for Maryland to find 6 wins and be a bowl team. 

That's why we need them to get skullfucked by USC.  And, preferably (for recruiting purposes), for it to be USC's only other win this year.

2 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Yeah but imagine somehow tOSU, Clemson, Colorado, WVU, Georgia and ND all finish undefeated with Bama taking their one loss in the SECCG. I think that might be tipping point that destroys any semblance of legitimacy to the playoff champion and gets us a playoff expansion, much in the way the LSU-Bama rematch killed the BCS. Bonus chaos points if one or more of the left-out undefeated teams dominates in their NY6 bowl and claims a championship. 

Might as well throw UCF into this as they’d have something like a 25 game win streak by the end of the season. 

And i wont actually be looking seriously at playoff implications until Texas leaves Lubbock 9-1.

Edited by Pato del Muerto

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

As bullish as I am on this team after 5 in a row and a win over OU, I can still see us losing in Stillwater and/or Lubbock.

I will be disappointed but not very surprised to see us lose basically any game left on the schedule outside of Kansas. I'm not convinced we've broken the habit of playing to our competition, and as happy as I am with what I see at the moment, Tom Herman has some history of dropping random games. In 2015 he went 13-1 culminating in a defeat of FSU at the Peach Bowl, but the loss was to UConn. In 2016 he started out with a win over an OU team that would finish #5 even with that loss. Then he got clobbered by friggin SMU. SMU!!

Mind you, if we lose two more games in the regular season and win a bowl game, that's still our best season since Colt and an obvious huge step forward from where we've been. 10 wins! Can you even imagine?

Edited by Thermos H. Christ

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

This team has a WTF loss in it somewhere due to turnovers.  We are on a remarkable turnover free streak right now, it's going to happen sooner or later and I think we have a hard fought loss in there as well.

9-3

We already had a WTF loss. But we probably have another in us, yeah.

3 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

I have no idea what's going to happen, but I think there's still a theoretical possibility of Texas beating OU in Dallas again in the SECCG and then beating aggy in the Sugar Bowl. It won't happen though, which might be for the best because I would probably die laughing.

There has to be something I'm missing here. 

3 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

OMG I'm an idiot. B12CG. But point stands, finishing a 13-1 season with back-to-back wins over OU and aggy would be fucking epic.

Aggy? How are we going to play a team that isn't even in the same stratosphere as us? They'll be lucky to make the wipe my ass bowl against Bowling Green.

This is a link that shows a bunch of statistics that are pretty cool looking. Google Doc that is maintained throughout the season by Bill Connelly and SB Nation. Shows the breakdown for each team. Worth looking at for teams of interest. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ2e9xV7-ClihFVJ3kla0ZDxzFCQ7-WXvQRur-nK6gOzo333PqSetw52kEGgbXKb6viGZSbYuJugvRR/pubhtml#