Bad NCAA officiating thread

mulletpelini

5 minutes ago, Zavala said:

An instant classic

This game is the reason to this day why our dog is scared of me (we'd recently rescued from the pound)....I lost my ever-living, god damned mind that game.  Wife banished me to the back porch to finish watching the game, and said she could hear me tittin' and moaning for hours outside.  After this game, any Ag's that try to bring up the BOMC can rightly go fuck themselves....

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This game is the reason to this day why our dog is scared of me (we'd recently rescued from the pound)....I lost my ever-living, god damned mind that game.  Wife banished me to the back porch to finish watching the game, and said she could hear me tittin' and moaning for hours outside.  After this game, any Ag's that try to bring up the BOMC can rightly go fuck themselves....

I was in row 30 or so on the 20 yard line, on the visiting team side. At a certain point it was beyond boo birds it was just "well, I'm not going to waste another dime on Texas until they leave the rig 12". 

I wish I would've followed through because this conference and team has continued to be a waste of time and money.

If you are going to rig a game, at least don't be obvious about it.

4 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I was in row 30 or so on the 20 yard line, on the visiting team side. At a certain point it was beyond boo birds it was just "well, I'm not going to waste another dime on Texas until they leave the rig 12". 

I wish I would've followed through because this conference and team has continued to be a waste of time and money.

If you are going to rig a game, at least don't be obvious about it.

No shit.  I wanted each and every one of those officials to fall into a cactus patch covered in AIDS....the abortion12 needs to die.  It's a dysfunctional shit show that has run it's course.  Time to pack up, tell TCU and Baylor to have fun glory-holing each other in the MAC and get the hell out of dodge.  Either create East/West PODS in the PAC, or find another place to land.  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No shit.  I wanted each and every one of those officials to fall into a cactus patch covered in AIDS....the abortion12 needs to die.  It's a dysfunctional shit show that has run it's course.  Time to pack up, tell TCU and Baylor to have fun glory-holing each other in the MAC and get the hell out of dodge.  Either create East/West PODS in the PAC, or find another place to land.  

Notre Dame does pretty well.

a381fcccd9d6d8ca177f1cb80271ab06.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Did anyone ever drag out the real story behind the bullshit defensive holding on a run play those cunt refs called on Poona?

I'm really convinced the refs had the fix in that game.  I've never seen anything like it before or after at any level.  Nothing really even comes close.

I was row 6 on the 30 right behind Strong for that final drive.  I've never wanted to get a criminal tresspassing and assault charge so bad.  Avatar was definitely checking out at that point.

Edited by JBJ

Edit timed out, but I wanted to add:

There's always games where a questionable call or two can have an impact, but this was constant and blatant.

On that final drive OkSt had negative yards and the refs gave them like 45 on non-penalties.  Not even questionable calls - literally fabricated out of thin air.

I will get over 2008 Tech and Colt getting hurt in the MNC long before I get over this.  Those two were getting the wrong end of the football randomness. This game wasn't allowed to be played.

12 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Edit timed out, but I wanted to add:

There's always games where a questionable call or two can have an impact, but this was constant and blatant.

On that final drive OkSt had negative yards and the refs gave them like 45 on non-penalties.  Not even questionable calls - literally fabricated out of thin air.

I will get over 2008 Tech and Colt getting hurt in the MNC long before I get over this.  Those two were getting the wrong end of the football randomness. This game wasn't allowed to be played.

The worst part is, at least as far as we know, nothing came of it.  National media chimed in saying the game looked rigged, and nothing. 

Point being, whoever did it the first time (anyone know anyone at osu with considerable resources?) wouldn't think twice about doing it again given nothing came of it but a bad press cycle.

Edit to add: osu is one of my favorite big 12 programs and I have no ill will towards them over what happened here.  Whoever set this up, and it was set up, I don't think has any direct connection to coaches or players. Shitty, but not something you hold onto against a team like some of our rivals seem to do to us over perceived bad calls. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

Those refs should have been fired, along with Frank Anderson. 

The most significant non-call I could remember came on Georgia's game-winning touchdown run in the closing minutes of the '84 Cotton Bowl.  From my vantage point in the north endzone I always thought Mark Lang was held or dragged down by the right tackle as he zeroed in on the Georgia quarterback. 20+ years later I eventually watched the replay and it's debatable whether he was held or whether he would have even been in a position to make the tackle; however in my mind's eye, all these years, it cost us a national title.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Nobody can ever tell me this sh*t wasn’t rigged. I wanted Texas to go independent so bad after this debacle. The ref following Strong as he’s walking away and giving him a penalty still makes my blood boil

The defensive holding on a run play where he was getting held, the multiple fumbles/interceptions brought back for bullshit calls. Just an all around sloppily rigged game. I guess somebody wanted Strong out, felt like damn remember the titans.

Also, with respect to NCAA officiating overall, the inconsistent holding enforcement is absurd and drives me nuts. Here are a couple of Georgia's big runs this week:

Click the link so you go to the right time (03:57)

Watch the slot receiver on DB #7. Blatant hold. Uncalled.

05:38

Watch the left guard on LB #44.

These are blatant holds right at the point of attack. There is no excuse not to call them.

Here is a classic example I noticed our old friends doing (as they always do) this weekend:

13:23

WR #87 holds the DB and the hold is at the point of attack and is the reason Murray gets the edge unobstructed. An official was looking right at this and let it go. On the replay they showed during the game from behind the offense it was clear as day and was being stared at by an official.

Meanwhile, we get called for this shit (Cade Brewer #80):

1:40:04

And this shit (Lil'Jordan Humphrey #84) that has nothing to do with the play:

2:09:30

It's fucking infuriating. There is NO WAY that the two called on us are penalties if the others aren't penalties. None whatsoever. I would actually be fine in a world where all of them are called, but there is zero explanation for the discrepancy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

That OsU game was the one they gave the qb possession of a fumble in a pile of Texas jerseys and he couldn’t ever get his hand to the ball right?

yes. #40 Texas came up with the ball in his hands. 

I have seen mixups like this before, with maybe bad camera work, that misses the original recovery for example. Or the ref missed it, etc. That actually has precedence

Defensive holding by a lineman betting blocked + a ref attacking a head coach and verbally abusing him while also tossing out flag - never seen either before or since. 

25 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Clear uncalled holds at:

0:45

1:14

2:05

2:25

2:49

But hey, that was only 50% of the aggy big play offensive clips from the highlight video, so this probably very little impact on the outcome. 

0:45 - Far away from the ball and the play, holding like this gets missed all the time and doesn't impact the actual play.

1:14 - Not holding, the center is allow to continue pushing a player from the side if they are beat. He's not grabbing him. 

2:05 - No clue where you think holding occurred on this one. 

2:25 - LT gets some jersey there. 

2:49 - LT pulls him down a bit with left hand.

Shit like this happens all the time though, it's not anything special. There was a play where the Clemson guy hit helmet-to-helmet on the QB right after he released the ball and it didn't even draw a flag. The crew for this game was from the ACC, so it's not like they have some reason to be favoring the Aggies. 

On 9/10/2018 at 11:04 PM, UTEX_ME said:

All those angles are slightly off center and can't fully tell where the ball is when it crosses the goal post. Looks like it just kissed the inside of the imaginary pole to heaven. Judgement call I guess? 

Want to know who kissed my pole to heaven?

23 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

That OsU game was the one they gave the qb possession of a fumble in a pile of Texas jerseys and he couldn’t ever get his hand to the ball right?

I believe they ruled that no one had possession, so it went back to offense.  Which was completely insane.  

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

0:45 - Far away from the ball and the play, holding like this gets missed all the time and doesn't impact the actual play.

1:14 - Not holding, the center is allow to continue pushing a player from the side if they are beat. He's not grabbing him. 

2:05 - No clue where you think holding occurred on this one. 

2:25 - LT gets some jersey there. 

2:49 - LT pulls him down a bit with left hand.

Shit like this happens all the time though, it's not anything special. There was a play where the Clemson guy hit helmet-to-helmet on the QB right after he released the ball and it didn't even draw a flag. The crew for this game was from the ACC, so it's not like they have some reason to be favoring the Aggies. 

There was so much holding uncalled in that game it was amazing.  2:25 is a good sample of the whole game, watch RT literally tackle the DE, and the LT hooks and holds on.  

but hey, I would rather the refs let the game play and not call holding than getflagged for every perceived slight like we do.  

On 9/11/2018 at 10:20 AM, Saint Tacky said:

Those refs should have been fired, along with Frank Anderson. 

The most significant non-call I could remember came on Georgia's game-winning touchdown run in the closing minutes of the '84 Cotton Bowl.  From my vantage point in the north endzone I always thought Mark Lang was held or dragged down by the right tackle as he zeroed in on the Georgia quarterback. 20+ years later I eventually watched the replay and it's debatable whether he was held or whether he would have even been in a position to make the tackle; however in my mind's eye, all these years, it cost us a national title.  

You’re damn right Lang was held. The OL dove straight at his ankles, presumably to cut block. Lang fell almost backwards because he was essentially tackled at the ankles. Of course, the QB was his man on the option.

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Holds are hardly ever called accurately, we as fans might notice something on one play, while the ref is eyeing a separate area of the field... It's a hard job...

Back when I was playing JV football, we had a receiver that was actually shorter than me (I was 5'4") starting on our offense. We called a play where he and the other slot WR ran verticals and the outside WR's ran 5 yard stops. He broke clean of the one defender that was on him, but the QB overshot him by a good ten yards. His best friend's dad, who served in the USAF, was up in the stands and we could clearly hear him say "BENJAMIN, RUN FASTER!" the humor in it, of course, being that even Eric Metcalf couldn't have run down that ball.

So here's my "Benjamin, run faster" moment with regards to what you just said: It wouldn't have to be a hard job if they were better at it.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Eggo said:

While we're talking about 2015 Okie Lite, they had 7 penalties against them for 40 yards. We had 16 penalties accounting for 128 yards. Dicko lost a snap. We lost by 3 points. 

Watch the game. Every big play in Texas favor got called back, on a bullshit call. It's not just coincidence.