Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

3 minutes ago, swraith said:

My liberal wife thinks Cruz is winning the debate so far. Not that she would vote for Cruz, just that Beto isn’t connecting.

I think i agree with that. Cruz is full of shit, but he can sell. Beto doesn't have the same amount of debate experience.

Checking in. I tried listening to the debate on the radio coming home from work, but I just couldn't do it. That sniveling whiny voice of Ted's spouting lies, I feel, is unhealthy for my heart. Hearing that weasel makes my blood boil, so I'll just have to rely on the surly play-by-play here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Well yes, but the fact an Ivy League Canadian named Rafael with no charisma can have statewide success in Texas is a remarkable political accomplishment. 

It demonstrates his ability to transform himself to mass political appeal.

Savvy AF

The guy went to Indiana and talked about "basketball rings".  How much mass political appeal does that get and where did he land on your piss map?

here's what I think, and there's a solid chance that I know absolutely nothing:

Beto didn't really realize how slimy Ted Cruz can be.   Like the final "Like Bernie Sanders" bullshit. 

Beto did fine, but he'll bring out the whoopin' stick next time.  He needs to play up the Cruz sucking cheeto cock angle a bit.  Cruz played the "I've spoken. to Trump several times, you've never spoken to Trump" angle.  Beto need to reply "what did Texas gain from you sucking up to Trump?"

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 3

Just now, Gil Bang said:

here's what I think, and there's a solid chance that I know absolutely nothing:

Beto didn't really realize how slimy Ted Cruz can be.   Like the final "Like Bernie Sanders" bullshit. 

Then Beto is not very bright, to put it lightly. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, swraith said:

My liberal wife thinks Cruz is winning the debate so far. Not that she would vote for Cruz, just that Beto isn’t connecting.

I think Beto did pretty well.  He is not quite as fluid, but seems passionate.  Problem is that Cruz has simple talking points that he can hammer repeatedly that are more likely to resonate with many Texans (low taxes, gun rights, etc).  I think Beto will do better at the next debate.  Made a few too many mistakes he should avoid next time (such as disregarding T&P in front of a live audience in Dallas).  Overall, I think this debate will give slight boost to Cruz.  

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

He didn’t lose, but I don’t think he convinced anyone who wasn’t going to vote for him anyway. 

i don't think his strategy is to gain new voters.  his strategy is to stem the tide of those who voted R last time switching to D.