Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

I'd say there was no major blood loss on either side, but Cruz did get cut a few times. The big difference to me was the negative stance Cruz had v the positive message Beto was selling. We'll see how it played to the masses soon. On to Round 2!

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i don't think his strategy is to gain new voters.  his strategy is to stem the tide of those who voted R last time switching to D.

Yeah 76 year old Ethel in Aquilla who saw Beto on Ellen and thought he was a nice young white boy was won over by Cruz. I think he'll win our lovely state.

Cruz had a lot of red meat for the base. I think he's confident Texas still has a enough right wing conservatives for him to win. Not much appeal to the center. Beto stuck to his positive inclusive message. I liked his honesty, especially on things like defending his vote against Tax cuts. He's right it was irresponsible and we need people to stand up and be honest like that. No major mistakes by either. I'd probably call it a tie, but honestly with each day goes by that this race is a toss up and Beto's momentum continues to build,. Cruz needs more than a tie. He's on the defense here.

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

I think Beto missed an opportunity - when Cruz suggested the Republican Party is the party of equality and of Abe Lincoln, Beto should have said "If you think that today's Republican Party bears any resemblance to Abe Lincoln you probably believe that Amber Guyger shouldn't be fired."

Anyone who believes the Republican Party is best in 2018 for blacks because Lincoln was a Republican is a moron.

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I would like to see Beto go after Cruz on the pre-existing conditions issue in the next round.  Even though Cruz will just continue to lie about his position on that issue, Beto should have a wealth of ammo there to hit him with. 

I was surprised he didn't call out Cruz for lying about 'Medicare for all' being unfunded.

31 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I think Beto did pretty well.  He is not quite as fluid, but seems passionate.  Problem is that Cruz has simple talking points that he can hammer repeatedly that are more likely to resonate with many Texans (low taxes, gun rights, etc).  I think Beto will do better at the next debate.  Made a few too many mistakes he should avoid next time (such as disregarding T&P in front of a live audience in Dallas).  Overall, I think this debate will give slight boost to Cruz.  

This sounds right, I caught a bit of it in the car and thought that Cruz kept slipping in is like Hilary's, like Bernie's so easily and would say that Beto didn't say a word against his saying that he wants to curb or remove the second amendment. Beto is going to have to get some edge to him and call Ted out on the BS so that he doesn't score easy ones against him. Lots of morons in the world that don't understand what Ted is doing and how much of a lying sack of shit he is. I think that Beto improves on the next go round.

I'd really like to know if there's anybody here that is willing to say "Fuck yes...I'm a proud Texan and I'm proud to support Ted Cruz as my Senator".  

It doesn’t matter. The Texas economy is on fire. Stock market, home values, 401(k)’s are through the roof. Everybody has a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um, you might want to check the labor participation rate.
A whole lot of folks sitting it out.

There is a lot of green haired people with nose rings not trying to get job? Single moms with a couple of baby daddies not looking for work?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 9

57 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Cruz played the "I've spoken. to Trump several times, you've never spoken to Trump" angle.  Beto need to reply "what did Texas gain from you sucking up to Trump?"

I would have replied by asking if his wife speaks to Trump, but my political campaigns would probably be short-lived.

• Like 2

It doesn’t matter. The Texas economy is on fire. Stock market, home values, 401(k)’s are through the roof. Everybody has a job.
Ted Cruz has nothing, zero to do with any positive sustainable economic trend and has contributed to the growth of the deficit, which will be a drain on future growth. You are a sucker, QED.

As a born and bred Texan, something only one of those candidates can claim, i do not think anything Cruz said represents me. Regressive policies that don't protect our interests and freedoms in the least. Cruz continues to parrot the same failed policies of his predecessors. It's not going to work anymore. The younger electorate won't stand for it anymore.

And when Beto said "true to form" i think what he meant was lizard.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pevodog said:

There is a lot of green haired people with nose rings not trying to get job? Single moms with a couple of baby daddies not looking for work?

Don’t forget that they spend their food stamps on T-bone steaks and grape soda!!!!!

• Like 1

Ted Cruz has nothing, zero to do with any positive sustainable economic trend and has contributed to the growth of the deficit, which will be a drain on future growth. You are a sucker, QED.

It doesn’t matter. I think Cruz is asshole. I voted for Dewhurst. But you guys need to stop sucking each other’s dicks and realize a boilerplate liberal isn’t going win a Texas senate seat in November.

Hope for more direct answers from Beto instead of his short story portfolio about Pecan farmers. 

This bullshit was way too much like Trump vs Hillary debates that deteriorate into Fox vs CNN. 

White Guilt, God, Dreamers, Illegals, Trump , Hillary. Only real take away was that Beto got hit in the mouth repeatedly and looked shaken, recovered the last 15 mins and didn’t seem like phony finally.

He needs to practice answering the questions on issues more than his closing speech which he obviously felt more comfortable with as a prepared statement. Whoever wrote that needs to be in his ear. 

Cruz was Cruz start to finish. Completely expected. 

I wish Beto would have called Cruz out more on his bullshit.  Asking for background checks isn't anti-2nd amendment.  It just means that if you were dumb enough to rob a liquor store with a gun at some point in your life, maybe you shouldn't be able to purchase a gun now.  He leaned too heavily on the personal anecdotes of people he's met and not enough on discrediting Cruz's lies, IMO.

Cruz mentioned twice the 4 million jobs created and how that's good for Texans.  Beto missed an opportunity to point out that since the height of the recession there hasn't been a single year where less than 2 million jobs a year were created.  There's nothing special about Trump's economy.  Trump's first year produced the fewest amount of new jobs to the U.S. economy than any year going back to 2010, and that's backed up by numbers from the BLS.  As pedantic as it may seem, there are conservative Texans who feel like Trump is pumping new life into the economy.  I think it'd favor Beto to point out that the economy has been following the same linear trends that it has for 7 years and those trends date back to when Trump was just an embarrassing reality TV star and not involved in the economy.

• Like 1