Adding to the pit bull argument

Beau Vine

• 1 month later...

California Man Found Dead in Backyard Kennel After Being 'Attacked' by His Own Pit Bulls: Police

The victim was "mauled" following an "altercation between some of the dogs" as he was feeding them, police said

Published on February 17, 2024 03:21PM EST

Man Found Dead in Backyard Kennel After Being Attacked by His Own Pitbulls in ComptonSome of the 13 pit bulls found in the victim's backyard. Photo:

KTLA 5

A California man is dead after he was reportedly attacked by his pit bulls.The 35-year-old, who was believed to have been a pit bull breeder, was discovered in a kennel in his backyard in Compton early Friday morning, according t o CBS News, KTLA and The Los Angeles Times. At around 7 a.m. local time, police and paramedics responded to the home after a 911 caller told dispatchers that “her friend was seen in the backyard and appeared to have been mauled by his dog,” a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) told theTimes.

The LASD did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment. After arriving on the scene, officials found the man’s body in one of several kennels located in the backyard, footage captured by KTLA shows. Also found in the backyard were 13 pit bulls, five adults and eight puppies, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control, which now has custody of the dogs with the consent of the victim’s father. The pit bulls will be impounded and examined at a nearby animal care center, the Times reported.

Using video obtained from cameras located around the property, officials determined that the attack likely occurred on Thursday evening between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m., KTLA reported. Lt. Michael Gomez with LASD’s Homicide Bureau told KTLA that the death was likely the result of an altercation between the pit bulls.

“From my understanding and based on those that have reviewed the video, it's believed that he was feeding the dogs, at which point maybe there was an altercation between some of the dogs and then ultimately [the dogs] attacked and mauled the victim,” said Lt. Gomez. The victim, whose identity has not yet been released, “ultimately died from his injuries," Lt. Gomez told CBS News. The L.A. County Department of Animal Care and Control is currently working to gather more details about the incident and its circumstances.

“Our deepest sympathies are extended to the family and friends of the victim,” the department’s director, Marcia Mayeda, said in a statement obtained by KTLA and the Times. “We are committed to conducting a thorough investigation to determine the facts and ensure the safety and well-being of both the community and the animals involved,” Mayeda added.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

44 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Only the lab got “destroyed”.  

I know following through is tough. These dogs’ owners can relocate them, saying they “ran away”. Police may be disinterested in getting dangerous dogs away, especially if it was only another dog that was attacked. 

My (deceased now) FIL told me what he did when my wife, as a toddler, was bitten hard by a neighbor’s dog that wandered into the back yard, requiring stitches. He went to the neighbor’s house with the county sheriff (a friend) and explained they needed the dog, to check for rabies. 
Neighbor: “You can’t do that! That will kill him!” (In those days, rabies in dogs was checked by removing a big chunk of brain). 
FIL: “Your dog bit my daughter. There’s no way it’s surviving, anyway.” (FIL loved dogs, btw). 
The dog was turned over and tested, and the neighbor moved. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, statsman said:

I know following through is tough. These dogs’ owners can relocate them, saying they “ran away”. Police may be disinterested in getting dangerous dogs away, especially if it was only another dog that was attacked. 

My (deceased now) FIL told me what he did when my wife, as a toddler, was bitten hard by a neighbor’s dog that wandered into the back yard, requiring stitches. He went to the neighbor’s house with the county sheriff (a friend) and explained they needed the dog, to check for rabies. 
Neighbor: “You can’t do that! That will kill him!” (In those days, rabies in dogs was checked by removing a big chunk of brain). 
FIL: “Your dog bit my daughter. There’s no way it’s surviving, anyway.” (FIL loved dogs, btw). 
The dog was turned over and tested, and the neighbor moved. 

Yea I think in this case they can’t find the dogs nor the owners?

On 9/29/2023 at 9:03 AM, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.508f0296a36b7926ab0b2d22976bbfd5.png

image.thumb.png.03d6605b0c7e421c96b4df9ffc8459b4.png
image.thumb.png.00eb6ee150f67bb454565a7ad6a0317d.png

Shelters have no shame lying their asses off to people about the presumed breeds of their dogs.  Austin Pets Alive is often sitting at 90%+ pit mixes, but it's rare to find even one listed that way.   I love dogs, but I don't support our no-kill policy.  It just floods neighborhoods with bad dogs.  We have a neighbor who adopted a pit mix (she was told boxer I believe) who broke free from his leash and attacked our dog (on leash).  They wouldn't get rid of it after that incident, even after the city came out for a hand slap.  Then it attacked one of their kids.   Gone now.

As a breed pits can be just fine when raised from birth by responsible people.  The sheer volume of pits in shelters who come from miserable backgrounds and irresponsible jackass humans is at the root of the problem, IMO.  I'm not necessarily advocating for putting down every pit mix that lands in a shelter, but I'm open to that discussion.  Perhaps not breed-specific rules, but a checklist of traits and history that fast-track certain dogs for termination would be the way to go.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Shelters have no shame lying their asses off to people about the presumed breeds of their dogs.  Austin Pets Alive is often sitting at 90%+ pit mixes, but it's rare to find even one listed that way.   I love dogs, but I don't support our no-kill policy.  It just floods neighborhoods with bad dogs.  We have a neighbor who adopted a pit mix (she was told boxer I believe) who broke free from his leash and attacked our dog (on leash).  They wouldn't get rid of it after that incident, even after the city came out for a hand slap.  Then it attacked one of their kids.   Gone now.

As a breed pits can be just fine when raised from birth by responsible people.  The sheer volume of pits in shelters who come from miserable backgrounds and irresponsible jackass humans is at the root of the problem, IMO.  I'm not necessarily advocating for putting down every pit mix that lands in a shelter, but I'm open to that discussion.  Perhaps not breed-specific rules, but a checklist of traits and history that fast-track certain dogs for termination would be the way to go.   

Repped although I disagree with a lot of this 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Repped although I disagree with a lot of this 

I know it's not a popular opinion.  I hate it for the dogs as it's ultimately a people problem, but sometimes it's appropriate to cull animal populations, especially when culling the human population is off the table.

Edited by Samson's Wig

39 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I know it's not a popular opinion.  I hate it for the dogs as it's ultimately a people problem, but sometimes it's appropriate to cull animal populations, especially when culling the human population is off the table.

Down with culling but also believe that sometimes pitts can go bad no matter how you raise them 

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Down with culling but also believe that sometimes pitts can go bad no matter how you raise them 

Gotcha, and I agree with that.  I wrote, "As a breed pits can be just fine . . ."  I should have put the "can" in italics or simply worded it better.  The intent was to convey that I understand there have been pits that never went bad, not to imply that if raised correctly they never go bad. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Gotcha, and I agree with that.  I wrote, "As a breed pits can be just fine . . ."  I should have put the "can" in italics or simply worded it better.  The intent was to convey that I understand there have been pits that never went bad, not to imply that if raised correctly they never go bad. 

You’re not wrong.  Not every Pitt will go crazy. I just think they’re more likely to and certainly more destructive when they do. I guess my point is why take the chance?  

my sister had one. I’ve never met and have no intention to.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Lived in my neighborhood for almost 20 years.   I walk most of it on a daily basis.  Never seen a pit bull.

Don't have appliances on porches, chain link fences, or engine blocks chained to trees either.

Didn’t want to go here but I live in a very educated area. Never seen a pitt bull  no Rottweilers, presas or mastiffs either   I’ve seen three German shepherds  

most wealthy people I’ve seen that have pitts tend to be athletes and entertainers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I was delivering in a more rural area of Austin the other day (think a neighborhood with a lot of manufactured housing). Not uncommon to see loose dogs in these areas - mostly chihuahuas and shepherd mixes. That day there were two loose pits or mixes running loose in the middle of the street. They started barking and growling and chasing my suv. I had a stop about 5 houses down. They chased and growled all the way there. I was about to toss the package out the window towards the house, but when I stopped that turned and went back up the street. I watched until they got about 4 houses away and then opened the door slowly. One of them turned to look at me but didn't give a shit now that I wasn't moving. I dropped off the package and got back in and left.

But yes, I have tossed packages or left them outside gates because of loose dogs - not all of them pits. Had a black lab try to get through a metal gate once. Whole thing was rattling.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Hey I am all for culling the population so we need to leave this on the table.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Didn’t want to go here but I live in a very educated area. Never seen a pitt bull  no Rottweilers, presas or mastiffs either   I’ve seen three German shepherds  

most wealthy people I’ve seen that have pitts tend to be athletes and entertainers. 

We live in a very muckety-muck neighborhood ourselves.  The only pit we've seen is the rescue that I mentioned earlier.  A woman with kids going through a divorce picked it up at Austin Pets Alive.  Maybe she thought it would keep her ex away?  When I was a younger man living in a rough neighborhood, there seemed to be one or more pits in every other house.

Doodles are fucking everywhere, though.  There are so many I expect some kind of neurotic uprising to occur any day now. 

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

We live in a very muckety-muck neighborhood ourselves.  The only pit we've seen is the rescue that I mentioned earlier.  A woman with kids going through a divorce picked it up at Austin Pets Alive.  Maybe she thought it would keep her ex away?  When I was a younger man living in a rough neighborhood, there seemed to be one or more pits in every other house.

Doodles are fucking everywhere, though.  There are so many I expect some kind of neurotic uprising to occur any day now. 

In my hood as well. Doodles galore including my own

On 2/18/2024 at 3:13 PM, Bevo said:

California Man Found Dead in Backyard Kennel After Being 'Attacked' by His Own Pit Bulls: Police

The victim was "mauled" following an "altercation between some of the dogs" as he was feeding them, police said

Man Found Dead in Backyard Kennel After Being Attacked by His Own Pitbulls in ComptonSome of the 13 pit bulls found in the victim's backyard. Photo:

KTLA 5

A California man is dead after he was reportedly attacked by his pit bulls.The 35-year-old, who was believed to have been a pit bull breeder, was discovered in a kennel in his backyard in Compton early Friday morning, according t o CBS News, KTLA and The Los Angeles Times. At around 7 a.m. local time, police and paramedics responded to the home after a 911 caller told dispatchers that “her friend was seen in the backyard and appeared to have been mauled by his dog,” a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) told theTimes.

The LASD did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment. After arriving on the scene, officials found the man’s body in one of several kennels located in the backyard, footage captured by KTLA shows. Also found in the backyard were 13 pit bulls, five adults and eight puppies, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control, which now has custody of the dogs with the consent of the victim’s father. The pit bulls will be impounded and examined at a nearby animal care center, the Times reported.

Using video obtained from cameras located around the property, officials determined that the attack likely occurred on Thursday evening between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m., KTLA reported. Lt. Michael Gomez with LASD’s Homicide Bureau told KTLA that the death was likely the result of an altercation between the pit bulls.

“From my understanding and based on those that have reviewed the video, it's believed that he was feeding the dogs, at which point maybe there was an altercation between some of the dogs and then ultimately [the dogs] attacked and mauled the victim,” said Lt. Gomez. The victim, whose identity has not yet been released, “ultimately died from his injuries," Lt. Gomez told CBS News. The L.A. County Department of Animal Care and Control is currently working to gather more details about the incident and its circumstances.

“Our deepest sympathies are extended to the family and friends of the victim,” the department’s director, Marcia Mayeda, said in a statement obtained by KTLA and the Times. “We are committed to conducting a thorough investigation to determine the facts and ensure the safety and well-being of both the community and the animals involved,” Mayeda added.

All 13 have been euthanized as evidence shows they were all involved in the attack

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Sounds like your neighborhood needs “diversified” with affordable (city subsidized) apartments. We didn’t used to have any pitbulls.

On 2/18/2024 at 4:13 PM, Bevo said:

KTLA 5

I know a lot of dog breeders and the average dog breeder is a morally dubious money-for-nothing entrepreneur wannabe that doesn't have the means or ability to succeed as one otherwise.  They think they can get 2 dogs to fuck and drop a litter of puppies and pocket $10K and that's all there is to it.  There is very little concern for the welfare of the dogs or the families they go to.  Things like testing, vaccinations, adequate food -- these are costs that cut into their margin and corners are cut.  The kicker is that every dog breeding program eventually runs into this problem -- a dog lives a lot longer than they will be able to produce your product.  As the dogs age and become non-breeders, a program has a growing number of dogs that bring no money in but that cost the same as the dogs that are bringing money in.   Tough choices have to be made, and you more often than not have a Joe Exotic type making them.

So my reaction to Pit Bulls eating their breeder is:

jack-nicholson-grin.gif

My reaction to Pit Bulls being euthanized because they ate their breeder is:

jack-nicholson-grin.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

she'll bark you to death

You would think... but she's actually really,  really chill and quiet, unless there's someone ar the door or in the house... even then she's not that bad

Posted (edited)

Our golden doodle is awesome. They are only neurotic if you leave them home all day or if they get attacked by pit bulls. Were warned about the first and have avoided it. We were warned about the second but sadly we did not avoid it.  Wife pried the dogs jaw open to save ours. Both dog-mom and dog went to the hospital. Our pup is lucky to be alive. Pit probably enjoyed a snack later that night.

Rich hood, there’s a pit. Long story but irresponsible son of a dog loving doctor had it and doctor took it instead of it going to a shelter. Oopsies. My wife was the no bad breeds only bad owners. Could be true about that dog but she’s now firmly in the let’s not be around pits ever camp.

Edited by troph
  • Rage+1 3

What is the event that changes the public mood on the pit bull type dogs?

Obviously it’s not human deaths.  We’ve had plenty.

I bet if one of those dogs bit Taylor Swift or a Kardashian that would get some attention.