Texas @ OSU 10/27 7:00 PM ABC

MirrOlure

49 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Speaking of drinking, not sure you guys know or not but our retarded-ass booze laws finally changed on Oct. 1.  So you can now get cold high-point beer in grocery stores, liquor stores, etc., in Oklahoma. And the big macro-brews (Coors, Bud, etc.) are no longer 3.2 abv... they are 4.2 or whatever they are everywhere else.

And oh yeah - we are also selling beer in the stadium.

This will be noted in your state's favor yet it does not absolve your state of past transgressions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

This will be noted in your state's favor yet it does not absolve your state of past transgressions. 

We can never make up for the atrocity of allowing OU to be something that exists, but strong beer helps handle those clowns.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's possible.  Jeff is somewhat right, though I'm a little less cynical.  Gundy has said several times during the bye week that there will be no personnel changes.  Gundy is very weird with the media and intentionally lies because he considers it gamesmanship.  I could actually see a chance (less than 5% but a chance) that we see Dru Brown or Spencer Sanders.  Gundy is loyal to experienced QBs but at some point he gets upset at losing and I can see this being a game he pulls the trigger. 

But I think it's more likely that we play Cornelius.  If we lose, I'd give a 33% chance we see one of those other QBs the following week against Baylor, because they can both play and preserve their redshirts (though I assume the bowl game counts so he may wait til the following week against OU. 

The thing is that I don't think Gundy thinks Cornellius is playing that badly.

And if you look at the numbers, he's significantly better than Garman was in '14:

• Garman in '14 through 9 games: 54.4%; 226 yards per game; 12 TDs/12 INTs; 122.4 QBR
  • Cornellius in '18 through 7 games: 58.8%; 287 yards per game; 16 TDs/8 INTs; 149.8 QBR (plus has 4 rushing TDs)

Cornellius' numbers aren't great but aren't horrible.  Garman's are pretty bad and Gundy didn't pull the plug on him until he was injured. That's why I think there's little to no chance Gundy makes the change barring an injury.

The thing is, if we would build a goddamn game plan around Cornellius' strengths instead of trying to force him to be Mason Rudolph, I think we could be pretty good.

We need to be using him like K-State has used its QBs for years or like we did with Clint Chelf... put more QB run/zone reads complemented by a controlled, mid-and short-range passing game.

Instead, Gundy is all "this is what we do" and has Cornellius back there trying to make NFL-level throws down field.

Edited by oSuJeff97

IT on Davis and Boyd:

Multiple sources confirm Texas senior starting corners, Kris Boyd and Davante Davis, will be suspended for the first quarter during Saturday’s game at Oklahoma State. 

Freshmen Kobe Boyce (RS) and Anthony Cook are in line to start in Stillwater. 

The senior pair were late to Sunday meetings/practice. Alarm clocks would’ve helped, and they called coaches to tell them they’d be late. 

They still arrived late, practiced, and were told to expect punishment. They also fully understand it requires punishment. 

Herman had to make the example.

57 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's possible.  Jeff is somewhat right, though I'm a little less cynical.  Gundy has said several times during the bye week that there will be no personnel changes.  Gundy is very weird with the media and intentionally lies because he considers it gamesmanship.  I could actually see a chance (less than 5% but a chance) that we see Dru Brown or Spencer Sanders.  Gundy is loyal to experienced QBs but at some point he gets upset at losing and I can see this being a game he pulls the trigger. 

But I think it's more likely that we play Cornelius.  If we lose, I'd give a 33% chance we see one of those other QBs the following week against Baylor, because they can both play and preserve their redshirts (though I assume the bowl game counts so he may wait til the following week against OU. 

They all(coaches) lie about personnel and even injuries to some extent.  I expect Gundy to have a very short leash or even plan to roll out another QB we haven't seen against us.  he's obviously not desperate but this game could really help the rest of the season for him.  Bill Snyder does it to us all the time, and it worked for Kliffy last year. If Texas is back, this is the kind of game, considering OSU's previous games this year, we should win by double digits but I will be very happy with a one point win with this team in stillwater(AKA Stilly).

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT on Davis and Boyd:

Hide contents

Multiple sources confirm Texas senior starting corners, Kris Boyd and Davante Davis, will be suspended for the first quarter during Saturday’s game at Oklahoma State. 

The senior pair were late to Sunday meetings/practice. Alarm clocks would’ve helped, and they called coaches to tell them they’d be late. 

They still arrived late, practiced, and were told to expect punishment. They also fully understand it requires punishment. 

damn why not some gassers, stadium steps, and cold eggs/burnt toast?  sucks this got out most of the time you don't want the opposition to know this type of stuff until game time.

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about them as long as they can tackle.  If they blow a coverage and we have a guy running wide open, TC will miss him by at least 5 yards.  That's why I don't really agree Jeff's last comment.  I'd guess he's missed two TD passes a game by missing wide open receivers.  I don't expect him to be Mason, but he has to hit at least one out of every two or three of those.  He's missed almost every one this year.  Almost, so miracles do happen.  His numbers are ok because he feasted on the high school teams we played early and he throws a lot of short high percentage passes and Hill and the receivers are getting a lot of YAC.  

Obviously, I'm extremely down on this team and I think Cornshit is the biggest problem, though I know I'm lying and the OL is the really the biggest problem.  The combination of a porous OL and a QB that seems to have shitty pocket awareness has been disastrous.   Maybe Jeff will come along and tell me how wrong I am and make me feel better about this game, but nothing I've read has filled me with confidence.  

Or maybe I'm going for the reverse jinx?

No, we really suck that bad.  

Fuck this shit. It’s why you play the game. Nothing is certain. I understand the pokes may have defficiencies, so does Texas. Our issues can be exploited as well. It’s gonna be a good game. Stillwater will be rocking and looking for a huge win for homecoming. We need to play our A game

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

No, we really suck that bad.  

You're actually a very, very good team. Your QB is pretty much Tom Brady, or Dan Marino with an exceptional supporting cast. Your RBs will play like Barry Sanders, or better. Your WRs are unstoppable, and your coach has a mullet. We don't stand a chance. I expect to get blown out in T. Boone Pickens Stadium, the most intimidating venue in all of sports. 

Edited by GotThatFire
  • Like 1

A few scatter shots

Surly Bevo's life experience tells him that as a collective OSU wimmenz grade out pretty favorably on the Universal Hot-Crazy matrix.  If you are going to Stillwater keep that in mind

Is there any doubt that this is the kind of game our former pussy would go into looking to survive the surge?  This is the kind of game that will tell me a lot about TomTom as the attitude going in should be "this is an opponent just looking for a reason to quit, let's go out hit them hard and give them every excuse to do what they are dying to do" . And you know what if you hit them hard and they hit you hard back there isn't a rule that says you can't hit them even harder.

Tweet tweet likes him some first quarter suspendable infractions.  Maybe mentioned but he was suspended for first quarter of USC in 2017

Big 12 Refs are gonna do Big 12 Ref things in this game.

Edited by Surly Bevo

20 hours ago, Tailgate said:

How are the fans in Stillwater? Slightly tempted to hop on a plane for this one...never been...but don’t want to fight anyone.

First time I went there we parked in some cash lot that had a few oSu tailgates going. 

Got out of the car to find some oSu chick running toward us. "Hey Texas fans.... ... 

... Come get a beer!" 

That's pretty much how every trip to Stillwater has been since. 

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT on Davis and Boyd:

Hide contents

Fucking fuck. This is exactly the shit they were talking about in the mid-season review from these dudes:

Senior leadership has been disappointing.

Anybody know who the officials will be for this game? I asked earlier but didn't see anyone respond?

I have no idea what to expect from this Oklahoma State team. After looking back at their previous games it looks like Cornelius can throw the ball well with 4 tds in a couple games, but then in others he gets somewhat shut down. The games he struggled was against a good tech defense and kstate. If we can just establish a run game like kstate did I think we will be alright with Buechele or Ehlinger. Saw a quote from a player from kstate after the osu game saying, “we just got tired of losing”. Hoping the roles aren’t reversed in our case.

2 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

I have no idea what to expect from this Oklahoma State team. After looking back at their previous games it looks like Cornelius can throw the ball well with 4 tds in a couple games, but then in others he gets somewhat shut down. The games he struggled was against a good tech defense and kstate. If we can just establish a run game like kstate did I think we will be alright with Buechele or Ehlinger. Saw a quote from a player from kstate after the osu game saying, “we just got tired of losing”. Hoping the roles aren’t reversed in our case.

Strong Start by TEXAS in first half is critical in this Okie Lite game.  Can't mess around during a night game, Homecoming & Halloween game in Stillwater.

Good Teams come prepared to start strong to Win this type of Game. 🤘

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

Fucking fuck. This is exactly the shit they were talking about in the mid-season review from these dudes:

Senior leadership has been disappointing.

Anybody know who the officials will be for this game? I asked earlier but didn't see anyone respond?

So disappointing that we're 6-1, Omenihu is putting up gaudy stats in a tough role, KBoyd is a Thorpe semifinalist, and Nelson is near-Poona good with a dope celebration to match.

• Haha 1

While Oklahoma State isn’t a great team over all, they present some unique challenges that I think will make this game interesting early. Their Defensive Line and Front 7 are on par with Texas and OU, probably more disruptive. Their run game has struggled but they can still hurt you with the deep ball. With a potential banged up QB or a back up QB who isn’t great against pressure, it’s going to be a tough moving the ball consistently. Also inexperienced corners early are going to have to defend double moves and deep routes. 

18 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Their Defensive Line and Front 7 are on par with Texas and OU, probably more disruptive. Their run game has struggled but they can still hurt you with the deep ball. With a potential banged up QB or a back up QB who isn’t great against pressure, it’s going to be a tough moving the ball consistently. 

1) I think their front 7 is the strength of their defense but a lot of the "disruption" is because Knowles blitzes a lot. I don't have anything to back this up but I'm betting Knowles blitzes a lot more than Orlando and Orlando will bring pressure a good bit. Oklahoma State's defense is disruptive because they constantly bring pressure from multiple different levels. Which is also why there's a lot of defensive breakdowns and opportunities for big plays. I'm not sure Oklahoma State's front 7 is as good as the stats indicate. Their defense creates negative plays and gives up big plays because their coordinator is one of the most aggressive playcallers in the county. 

2) I'm not sure being aggressive or bringing pressure is the wise strategy against Buechele. The way you beat Buechele is to be conservative, pressure with 3 or 4 players, and force him to go through reads/progressions. Bringing multiple guys at the 2nd and 3rd level minimizes the decision making that Buechele struggles with. If he sees single coverage on LJH or Johnson he doesn't really have to go through reads/progressions. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Also of note, Oklahoma State's DL is god awful at scheming against mobile QBs. Theh have no understanding of containment at all and consistently get beat in the zone read game or any type of RB that has the ability to cut outside. If Ehlinger is healthy he should have success in the run game. Purdy and Thompson had a lot of success in the run game and neither are the type athlete Ehlinger is. 

https://gifs.com/gif/ncaa-football-week-six-iowa-state-at-oklahoma-state-9QJLkJ

https://gifs.com/gif/ncaa-football-week-six-iowa-state-at-oklahoma-state-wmoRor

https://gifs.com/gif/2018-ncaa-football-week-seven-oklahoma-state-at-kansas-state-qYgMOp

https://gifs.com/gif/2018-ncaa-football-week-seven-oklahoma-state-at-kansas-state-MQk5RG

Edit: I apparently have no clue how to embed gifs. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just saw Ad on ESPN for TEXAS vs Okie Lite game on Saturday night...Said something like:  "Win to confirm you're back..... or succumb to Stillwater"

Guess the Tessitore "Texas is Back" phrase gonna continue to hang around for quite awhile.

my question is when does it go away? 10 wins? Conference Championship? MNC? Never? not that if fucking matters though. 

my question is when does it go away? 10 wins? Conference Championship? MNC? Never? not that if fucking matters though. 

My guess is it will be like Clemson trying to get rid of the “Clemsoning” verb that followed them around until they started beating teams they were expected to beat consistently and winning conference/national championships. And to be fair, that should be our standard, too. So when we go multiple consecutive years without being upset by inferior competition, and when we win or play for conference championships every year, no one will have to say “Texas is back” anymore. It will be obvious and they’ll drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just saw Ad on ESPN for TEXAS vs Okie Lite game on Saturday night...Said something like:  "Win to confirm you're back..... or succumb to Stillwater"

Guess the Tessitore "Texas is Back" phrase gonna continue to hang around for quite awhile.

ESPN-Laying-Off-100-Employees.jpg

To be fair, Espin/Disney doesn't have the creative power it once did. 

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

So disappointing that we're 6-1, Omenihu is putting up gaudy stats in a tough role, KBoyd is a Thorpe semifinalist, and Nelson is near-Poona good with a dope celebration to match.

Can't leave out Hager who is mixing in just the right amount of batshit insanity for a contending college football team. 

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

My guess is it will be like Clemson trying to get rid of the “Clemsoning” verb that followed them around until they started beating teams they were expected to beat consistently and winning conference/national championships. And to be fair, that should be our standard, too. So when we go multiple consecutive years without being upset by inferior competition, and when we win or play for conference championships every year, no one will have to say “Texas is back” anymore. It will be obvious and they’ll drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth is we have to go back to early Mack years of 9+ years to change the slogan of Texas is back.  With the way this team is coming together , and you couple the recruiting efforts that the coaching staff is putting together I’m a believer.  

I think it is time to change the phrase of Texas is back to this.

2kxuib.jpg

• Like 2