2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

he's not right. there is no way that philly loses covington and saric and adds jimmy butler without it having an impact on the east. 

I mean it makes it more interesting in terms of talent. But I'm not sure it will mean anything for the Sixers this year. I don't think Butler is going to put them past Toronto or Boston. Or even Milwaukee. 

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Oh are we still doing this? Are we still pretending Jimmy Butler is a star player? Are we still pretending that it's not a problem for Philadelphia that their best player can't shoot a basketball?

Agreed. I don't see this as some huge move that is going to cause a shift. He's not even close to Kawhi. Like you said, he can't shoot. Who on the Sixers can now?

lol @ "pretending butler is a star player". he might not be an actual star in terms of fame or recognizability, but he's a very very good NBA player. He's an All-NBA caliber player. If you're going to pimp Milwaukee then you can't turn around in the next breath and diss Jimmy Butler who is better than Khris Middleton by a good bit. 

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

lol @ "pretending butler is a star player". he might not be an actual star in terms of fame or recognizability, but he's a very very good NBA player. He's an All-NBA caliber player. If you're going to pimp Milwaukee then you can't turn around in the next breath and diss Jimmy Butler who is better than Khris Middleton by a good bit. 

Never said a word about Milwaukee. JB is a solid player and all. But the Sixers still have zero shot at beating the Raptors or even the Celtics. So, meh.

dario saric and robert covington are "solid players and all". jimmy butler an elite nba player, and i'll once again remind you that it's basketball where the team with the best players wins. period. with only five guys to a team every elite player you have is a leg up on your competition, and Philly's three best players are now equal to/better than kawhi/lowry/ibaka, freak/middleton/bledsoe, and whoever you think Boston's three best players are, which wasn't true yesterday morning. it's pretty crazy to me that anyone who claims to follow the nba "lols at acting like jimmy butler is a great player." he is.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Anyone pretending the JB can’t fucking ball hasn’t been watching. He’s a very very high level player and is somewhere, imo, between 15-20 best players in the NBA. The only real question in this trade is how well does he get along with the team and specifically Embiid.

Im going to give Jimmy 5 late game Iso hero balls until Embiid starts getting frustrated. 

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dario saric and robert covington are "solid players and all". jimmy butler an elite nba player, and i'll once again remind you that it's basketball where the team with the best players wins. period. with only five guys to a team every elite player you have is a leg up on your competition, and Philly's three best players are now equal to/better than kawhi/lowry/ibaka, freak/middleton/bledsoe, and whoever you think Boston's three best players are, which wasn't true yesterday morning. it's pretty crazy to me that anyone who claims to follow the nba "lols at acting like jimmy butler is a great player." he is.

Did Ben Simmons learn how to shoot a basketball? No? Then the Sixers best players are nowhere near as good as the Raptors dude. Not at all.

There are a lot of good players who never win anything substantial. Chris Paul is at the top of the list for me. Some players are hard to play with due to a combination of ball dominance and difficult attitude. They sap the joy out of the game.

Compare Butler to Klay Thompson - who scored 50+ on like 50 dribbles. He doesn't demand the ball and keeps everyone involved. He is also the most popular player on the team. Butler is a "better" player but would actually make GS worse if he swapped places with Klay.

Rumors are that Butler is the least liked player in the NBA - even before this Minnesota trade nonsense. There is a non-zero chance that he will screw up the chemistry of the team and they actually get worse.

Minnesota gets a 1st team all defense player in Covington and a plus player in a major need position in Saric. And the get rid of a chemistry cancer in Butler. I'm willing to bet they get a fair amount better as a result.

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Did Ben Simmons learn how to shoot a basketball? No? Then the Sixers best players are nowhere near as good as the Raptors dude. Not at all.

Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid are first team All NBA caliber players, you are high. Embiid is averaging 27.7 pts, 13.1 rebounds, 3.6 ast, 2.3 blocks, and he shoots FTs at over an 80% clip on 10.5 FTA, numbers that are unmatched by any other player at his position. oh and Ben Simmons is just a point guard who is bigger than LeBron and who is putting up a measly 15 pts, 9.6 reb, 7.8 ast, 1.5 stl, and 0.8 blk to kick off his sophomore campaign. He totally sucks. 

i have ave to say that your combination of arrogance and ignorance is annoying. "jimmy butler sucks dood". "nobody can beat *the raptors* in the playoffs." lol okay. great takes. you might want to research jimmy butler's game, philly's offensive needs, and toronto's playoff history and then come back here and feel ashamed.

Edited by Goo Punch

and let's be real, if we're talking about this season then joel embiid > anybody in the league. Then you have Ben Simmons who is > all but maybe 15 players, and Butler who is better than all but 15-20 or so players. But yeah, that totally doesn't stack up woth Khris Middleton and Eric Bledsoe, or the mighty Serge Ibaka/Jayson Tatum/Jaylen Brown/Whoever the other two teams want to throw out as members of their respective "big three". Give me a break.

I think this is a great trade for Philly. In the NBA, whenever you get the best player, you always win the trade. Period. Except for the time the Knicks traded for Carmelo but he's one of the biggest cancers in league history. Butler has his own baggage with his personality but the guy busts his ass on both ends of the court. People keep talking about Philly as if their only deficiency is shooting. To me, they also lack toughness and that is something that Butler will bring them. That team could be really dangerous if they played with more of an edge. Covington and Saric are nice players but role guys are much easier to find than all-stars. Neither of those guys are going to ever sniff that level. 

And I disagree that the spurs would have taken this trade for Kawhi. Toronto gave up much, much more in Derozen. 

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

and let's be real, if we're talking about this season then joel embiid > anybody in the league. Then you have Ben Simmons who is > all but maybe 15 players, and Butler who is better than all but 15-20 or so players. But yeah, that totally doesn't stack up woth Khris Middleton and Eric Bledsoe, or the mighty Serge Ibaka/Jayson Tatum/Jaylen Brown/Whoever the other two teams want to throw out as members of their respective "big three". Give me a break.

The 6ers will win plenty in the regular season. As far as chances at actually winning it all, they are fraudulent. 

Oh, and Brett Brown is still their coach.... i'm not buying.

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The 6ers will win plenty in the regular season. As far as chances at actually winning it all, they are fraudulent. 

Oh, and Brett Brown is still their coach.... i'm not buying.

That’s fine and all but you’re assertion that Jimmy Butler is just a solid player is ludicrous. The 6ers big three is now at least equal to anyone else’s big three in the East. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Never said a word about Milwaukee. JB is a solid player and all. But the Sixers still have zero shot at beating the Raptors or even the Celtics. So, meh.

The raptors aren’t some juggernaut. They are a very very good team but they certainly won’t walk the East. Boston is deeper than Toronto but doesn’t have a player of Kawhi’s level. Philly now has three all NBA players. Bucks have my pick for the league MVP plus a lot of shooters. The East playoffs is going to be super competitive 

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The raptors aren’t some juggernaut. They are a very very good team but they certainly won’t walk the East. Boston is deeper than Toronto but doesn’t have a player of Kawhi’s level. Philly now has three all NBA players. Bucks have my pick for the league MVP plus a lot of shooters. The East playoffs is going to be super competitive 

Boston is struggling and isn't a lock for the East as most predicted at season inception.  KI stagnates the offense with his ball hogging ways. I'm sensing the others are not too happy with the lineup.

8 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Boston is struggling and isn't a lock for the East as most predicted at season inception.  KI stagnates the offense with his ball hogging ways. I'm sensing the others are not too happy with the lineup.

Boston will be fine. They are the best defensive team in the league. They will figure out their rotations and the offense will pick up. Especially as KI and GH get back into the flow. Their issues on offense have more to do with Tatum, Kyrie and Hayward settling for long jumpers instead of attacking the rim. Tatum especially is way down on points in the paint. Their ability to defend the three point line will make them incredibly difficult for anyone to beat in a series. Like I said, the East playoffs are going to be great to watch as no team is demonstrably better than anyone else.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Whos the third all NBA player on Philly?

Counterpoint: I know youre referring Simmons here and I think we need to tap the brakes a bit. How will Simmons and Butler co exist with spacing issues and obviously needing the ball to be creative. Butlers great at slipping and Simmons will find him, but more specifically the other way around. 

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Whos the third all NBA player on Philly?

Counterpoint: I know youre referring Simmons here and I think we need to tap the brakes a bit. How will Simmons and Butler co exist with spacing issues and obviously needing the ball to be creative. Butlers great at slipping and Simmons will find him, but more specifically the other way around. 

Again I’m not saying they are perfect or that this is a perfect fit. My only point is that people need to stop pretending that Philly isn’t a contender in the East. That’s asinine 

25 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Again I’m not saying they are perfect or that this is a perfect fit. My only point is that people need to stop pretending that Philly isn’t a contender in the East. That’s asinine 

Define contender. Will they be one of the final 4 teams remaining in the East? Sure. But does this trade elevate them to the front? I don't think it does. I will still take Boston and Toronto over them. Milwaukee at this point, too. I don't expect them to make the East Finals.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Define contender. Will they be one of the final 4 teams remaining in the East? Sure. But does this trade elevate them to the front? I don't think it does. I will still take Boston and Toronto over them. Milwaukee at this point, too. I don't expect them to make the East Finals.

I think they are probably 4th best but any of those four teams could beat any of the other four. Especially in the playoffs when rotations get thinner.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

And I disagree that the spurs would have taken this trade for Kawhi. Toronto gave up much, much more in Derozen. 

You don't think that this package + a couple of first round picks, including Miami's 2021 pick would have got it done? I think that's a better deal for the future than what San Antonio ultimately accepted, but I guess it would have been a tough sell for Pop to give up Kawhi without getting a ready-made All-Star (at least in the East) in return.

So...who is replacing Saric?

Is Simmons gonna have to slide over and play the 4 now?

Philly made a move; good for them.  But still have lots of questions. And have the prospect of paying somewhere around $150 million next summer for a 29 year old who has thousands of Tibs miles (hell, Tibs once played him 48 minutes in a preseason game) on his legs.