2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

He's been killing it since he entered the starting lineup a few weeks ago.

I knew he would have a breakout year. Dude was running fools off the court at Rico Hines over the summer. Those pick up games are hella fun to watch if anyone wants to go back and look at some of the matchups. Booker played a lot, Harden and CP3 got out there, Simmons, Durant played in quite a few. 

Fascinating to watch NBA players play pick up against each other and also any college kid/semi-pro that wants to try and hang. Bobby Brown was out there crossing fools and hitting 3s - dude still has major game. Pick-up is a different beast. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't understand why Durant doesn't get more credit for owning every match-up at his position for, what, 5 years now? 1 on 1 he OWNS LeBron and Kawhi - especially in the playoffs.

For as much as people wax poetic about MJ guarding the best teams player and scoring on their best defender, I rarely see it brought up with Durant. 

How are you gonna claim LeBron and Kawhi are better players when they can't guard this dude or score on him? LeBron doesn't even guard him in the playoffs because he knows he can't. He's the only player in the league that will repeatedly roast Kawhi's bitch-ass. He guarded Leonard the ENTIRE fourth quarter and OT in that game. Ws should have lost by 20 and he drug them to overtime on the road against the best team in the league. 

Lebron can't guard KD one on one

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't understand why Durant doesn't get more credit for owning every match-up at his position for, what, 5 years now? 1 on 1 he OWNS LeBron and Kawhi - especially in the playoffs.

For as much as people wax poetic about MJ guarding the best teams player and scoring on their best defender, I rarely see it brought up with Durant. 

How are you gonna claim LeBron and Kawhi are better players when they can't guard this dude or score on him? LeBron doesn't even guard him in the playoffs because he knows he can't. He's the only player in the league that will repeatedly roast Kawhi's bitch-ass. He guarded Leonard the ENTIRE fourth quarter and OT in that game. Ws should have lost by 20 and he drug them to overtime on the road against the best team in the league. 

#ClutchKD, that's all I can add..!

Spurs president-coach Gregg Popovich on 3-pointers: ‘I’ve hated the three for 20 years’

“These days there’s such an emphasis on the three because it’s proven to be analytically correct,” Popovich Monday offered with what appeared to be a sneer. “Now you look at a stat sheet after a game and the first thing you look at is the threes. If you made threes and the other team didn’t, you win. You don’t even look at the rebounds or the turnovers or how much transition D was involved. You don’t even care. That’s how much an impact the three-point shot has and it’s evidenced by how everybody plays.”

“I hate it, but I always have,” Popovich said even as he’s adjusted over the years. “I’ve hated the three for 20 years. That’s why I make a joke all the time (and say) if we’re going to make it a different game, let’s have a four-point play. Because if everybody likes the three, they’ll really like the four. People will jump out of their seats if you have a five-point play. It will be great. There’s no basketball anymore, there’s no beauty in it. It’s pretty boring. But it is what it is and you need to work with it.”

“The inside game is kaputski,” Popovich said of the game today, via NBA.com. “You’ve got to have downhill players, you’ve got to have people that can penetrate and kick, you’ve got to have people who can switch, you’ve got to have big guys who can play little guys... There’s no basketball anymore, there’s no beauty in it. It’s pretty boring. But it is what it is and you need to work with it.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-president-coach-gregg-popovich-172143356.html

imgur

Edited by Vic Mackey

20 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

The Spurs have been the most boring team in the NBA for years

not even close. go watch a tom thibadeau team play ball and get back to me. the spurs aren't near the top of the most of boring teams over the years. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 11/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, aggie08 said:

So, just to make sure I'm understanding your point correctly: the Celtics had a great regular season last year with Kyrie playing unselfish--if not always pretty--team basketball. In the playoffs, Rozier, Brown, and Tatum got to spread their wings a little bit, but started reading their own press clippings, thinking they had arrived prematurely.

Now, they're upset that they have to move back one spot in the team pecking order and can't cope. And the fringe bust point guard isn't getting enough minutes over the objectively better point guard to find his rhythm.

...and this is somehow Kyrie's fault?

Come on Ag, you know better than that. You can't give a kid a cellphone then take it back. Those guys weren't sure if they were good enough prior to last year's postseason. Now they know they are. So at first they were willing to accept their roles, but now they aren't. How it falls on Kyrie is a lot like how it falls on WB. Quit dribbling and use your skills to get guys easy buckets. Be a leader. We all like to watch the Kyrie show, but that shit is infuriating if you are playing with him.

• Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

None of those guys can guard each other for what it's worth.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

Only 2 years ago

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Never knew this.

47271126_2098855580210812_34900847553727

every single one of these basketball pages is run by some 23 year old dipshit who knows fuck all about basketball history. i shudder to think that any of the millions of kids who follow these things take these guys seriously. these are the same pages that always post the "which team would win?!" crap. those and their comment sections are near the top of my "trivial shit that annoys you" list. they'll be like, "which team would win?!" and the entire comments section will pick the team that thinks it's a good idea to pair Iverson with Kobe and Carmelo i've r a team with Payton, MJ, and Scottie at those same positions. Young NBA fans are some of the dumbest, least knowledgeable sports fans on the planet, and they flaunt their lack of knowledge and appreciation for everything before 2000 like a badge of honor. 

Edited by Goo Punch

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Hey, did you guys see where the Bucks lost another game where Giannis didn't take the most shots?

Giannis -- 10/17 -- 33 points

Eric Bledsoe -- 11/18 -- 27 point

I spy a trend.

Dude...

If it was anybody else, I'd say that you couldn't possibly be this obtuse. But I think you actually may be.

Giannis averages 4.2 more shot attempts per game than the next highest Buck. That's a massive gap. It's bigger than the gap between Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday. Their primary goal on offense is getting Giannis to the rim. Having shooters around him opens up the paint and allows him that space to operate. If he could take 70 shots a game within 5 feet of the rim, they would happily let him, but that's not how basketball works. Even bad defenses aren't going to allow that, and they'll rotate off shooters to clog the lane.

Now, when he's unable to get to the rim, I'd rather have ANYBODY on their roster taking shots outside of the paint over him. Do you know what he's shooting from 3 this year? 11%. On the season, he's shooting 25% (25!!!) from outside of 5 feet from the rim. He's not the guy you want hoisting up shots just to meet your arbitrary "who took the most shots" criteria.

Did all of this make sense? Would you like me to type slower?

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 3

Boston with 30 or more assists in 5 of their last 7 games. Hayward had, by far his best game of the year last night going 30, 9, and 8. Hard to take too much from it considering they've played some of the worst defenses in the league (Minnesota, New York, Cleveland, Atlanta, New Orleans) during that stretch, but it's a positive trend. Long season is long.

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Boston with 30 or more assists in 5 of their last 7 games. Hayward had, by far his best game of the year last night going 30, 9, and 8. Hard to take too much from it considering they've played some of the worst defenses in the league (Minnesota, New York, Cleveland, Atlanta, New Orleans) during that stretch, but it's a positive trend. Long season is long.

IMO it's just attitudes with them. If they can all accept their roles and just get back to playing basketball they will be there at the end. There is just way too much talent to be struggling for long.

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

They have had a lot more road games (I think so anyway) though too.  They should come together great long-term although I do think the new offensive rules have hurt them a little (they relied a lot on their physical defense more than some other elite teams) and Brown in particular seems to have not developed from last year.  It may be tough to get the #1 seed at this point and that might matter a little at the end.  Toronto is for real too, so I think the East is pretty tight this year, more than I thought before the season started.  My main concerns with Boston are still can they be elite offensively and is Kyrie being your best superstar with the sum is greater than the parts type of roster enough paired against greater superstars on the other contenders?