2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Now we need to lock up Correa and Cole for long term deals and Verlander for 2-3 years.

correa has 3 years left of team control (including 2019).  i would really love to see him stay healthy and dominate for a few months before writing a big check, but yes to the rest.

I’m a little surprised Bregman agreed to that extension. That’s a very team friendly deal. 

Not really. It’s good for both sides. 3 of those 5 years he would have been under team control. So he gave himself a raise in those 3 and the team probably got a bargain in the last 2

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I’m a little surprised Bregman agreed to that extension. That’s a very team friendly deal. 

eh, someone can crunch the numbers on getting fucked for the next year + 3 arb years, then resigning with us (or someone else i guess) and the first couple years of that deal.  he never would've made $70mm these next 4 years and he's getting paid his money now (which is a lot better than waiting til 2023 and thru all the cba bullshit to come.

settle in, wreck shop.

Now go sign Dallas to two years and start making room in the trophy case 

With all the pitching talent we have in the pipeline, we don’t need to overpay Dallas. He had his chance for a decent deal and blew it. Also, I’ve been told by someone pretty high in the front office that his act is played out and he’s been a prick for the most part to management. If they resign him, it likely means he had no other options.

2 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

With all the pitching talent we have in the pipeline, we don’t need to overpay Dallas. He had his chance for a decent deal and blew it. Also, I’ve been told by someone pretty high in the front office that his act is played out and he’s been a prick for the most part to management. If they resign him, it likely means he had no other options.

if true, not surprised.

he was the man when he won the cy young, and he had the juice to run his mouth.  a lot has happened since then.

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Not really. It’s good for both sides. 3 of those 5 years he would have been under team control. So he gave himself a raise in those 3 and the team probably got a bargain in the last 2

Losing out on his first two FA seasons will cost him a lot of money though when this extension expires given that he’ll be beginning to decline at that point. 

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

I’d rather develop the young guys and set up the long term than pay him a dime.

If we played in the AL East I’d want him, but given the gap between the Astros and the rest of the division there’s just not much of a role for him. They basically brought in Miley as a discount DK. 

details on pressly and 3rd year vesting option on team side:

RYAN PRESSLY RP, HOUSTON ASTROS

Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros have finalized a two-year, $17.5 million contract extension with reliever Ryan Pressly.

Pressly will make $8.75 million in both 2020 and 2021. He had already been locked in for a $2.9 million salary in 2019. Per the Houston Chronicle report, the deal also carries a vesting club option for a third season in 2022 which could carry a value of $10 million. Pressly was acquired from the Twins last July and absolutely flourished in the Astros' bullpen, delivering a 0.77 ERA, 0.60 WHIP, and 32/3 K/BB ratio over 23 1/3 innings to finish out the 2018 regular season. He'll continue to work in a setup role behind closer Roberto Osuna, who is also under club control through at least 2021.

Bregs got a raise to 1 million this season I Believe. Not sure how much it would increase the next two. So let’s just call that a 60 million dollar raise/loss. Year four and five with normal market increasing would see him at 35 or 40/per year?  Possible savings of 30-40 million.   So Bregs May only cost you an extra 30 million or 10 per over the next three seasons. 

Seems like an extremely team friendly deal, but that said he was still 3 years from fuck you money. He has it now. 

the kemp/white dh platoon is gonna be fascinating to watch, for me at least.

i really love a 9 hole guy in an al lineup that can start the action, especially when you have a leadoff man like springer.

i can see times when chirinos makes the last out in an inning, then the next frame we'll have kemp-springer-tuve, which is pretty nice table setting ahead of bregs-brantley-correa.  hoping kemp is the guy vs all righties.  

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Bregman just secured his financial future and his kids' financial future.

There is always a chance he would not get a big FA deal -- he could get hurt bad, sick with some terrible illness, killed, or develop the yips like Knoblauch or Ankiel did.  

You truly are the worst poster on the entire board.