Brush with greatness

Jshep34

Have had a few brushes with celebrity but the most interesting was riding the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland with Axl Rose.
Met Earl Campbell and Mike Judge where I used to work.
Saw Magic Johnson, Andy Samberg, and a couple of other celebs in a vip area at a Prince show in LA.
Ran into Slash at Expose. Girls said he was a bad tipper.
Ran into Jonathan Davis from Korn at All Stars in SA. He was only drinking sprite.
Met Vinnie Paul at a bar in Vegas. We sang a couple of lines of Never Say Goodbye by Bon Jovi while it was playing over the PA.
Saw Snoop Dogg walking through LAX carrying a boom box.
Few others but that's enough now.

22 hours ago, TTU13 said:

Literally ran into Emily jones at the ballpark this weekend. She was texting and I was taking a drink of my beer.

Love at first sight.

Man I loved her 10 years ago when I lived in the metroplex and still watched the little red shoe Rangers.

• Like 1

Was hanging at a bar in deep ellum in around 2000-2001 and there was a big commotion that ended up just being Owen Wilson. 

Passed Matthew Mcconaughey and Parker Posey at Sundance. 

Ate at a restaurant at Love Field next to Lee Corso. 

Had a class in the UTC one room down from a class Kevin Durant was in, and road the escalator with him multiple times weekly. Once saw a guy interrupt him on a call to ask him to sign a hat.  He signed it, thanked the guy, and went back to his call.  All class.

In the early 2000s I played in bands in Dallas and worked in the local music industry.  I'm fairly good friends with the guys from Blue  October, BFS, Zac Maloy, and some others you'd probably know if you followed local music or not know if you don't. 

Wife saw Colt on campus, and saw Adam Scott at the airport.  She waved and he waved back, but she didn't talk to him bc she could only think of the name Ben Wyatt.

Some friends in Seattle live next door to Dave Matthews and watch his pets when he goes on tour.  Apparently he's really chill and brings his guitar over to their house to hang out on their porch and have beers.  We joke that the neighbors he likes get tour tickets while they're watching the pets. 

Caught a TD pass from Drew Brees on the beach in high school.  This was before he was the starter at Westlake.

Hung out with Stone Cold Steve Austin in a New Orleans bar.  I was rather inebriated and put my hand on his shoulder and asked if wrestling was real or fake.  He then put me in a headlock until I almost passed out, my friends just stood there and laughed not knowing what else to do.

Saw Darrell Royal outside the stadium in a car about 2 years before he passed and he was looking pretty frail.  I just looked at him, gave him a Hook'em.  He looked right into my eyes and gave me the best Hook'em I have ever seen.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2018 at 8:25 AM, 1978horn said:

Caught a TD pass from Drew Brees on the beach in high school.  This was before he was the starter at Westlake.

Hung out with Stone Cold Steve Austin in a New Orleans bar.  I was rather inebriated and put my hand on his shoulder and asked if wrestling was real or fake.  He then put me in a headlock until I almost passed out, my friends just stood there and laughed not knowing what else to do.

Saw Darrell Royal outside the stadium in a car about 2 years before he passed and he was looking pretty frail.  I just looked at him, gave him a Hook'em.  He looked right into my eyes and gave me the best Hook'em I have ever seen.

So you have that going for you, which is nice.

Grew up with Tommy Shaw

Worked with Billy Paine who brought Olympics to Atlanta

Been to Chipper Jones's house

Tom Delonge (Blink 182) was at my house

Met Don Barnes (38 special) at a bar and bullshitted

Met Robinson who use to coach USC football. Met at neighbors house.

Met Bear Bryant

Met Beyonce on a beach in Mexico.

Met Jerry Tarkanian in a bar in Dallas.

Lived next door to Tom Lehman's SoCal house. Met him. Kids played in the pool until they had theirs finished. 

Met Kenny Rodgers at the Lefont Movie Theatre in Sandy Springs. It was old 30 years ago. Sort of an institution. Some stupid movie (aren't they all?)

Met Richard Todd who use to be the QB at Alabama and NY Jets.

Met Indigo Girls at Atlanta Airport.

Met Lyle Lovett at San Diego Airport

I was in the Red River Cafe and saw this goofy guy sitting with a woman who was an 11. I mean, the guy was almost deformed-looking goofy, big old Popeye chin. I noticed that all the people around him were a little too nonchalant, so I figured he was famous.

Later found out I'd been having some food, and looking at Quentin Tarantino.

I was on a flight from Austin to Denver for the UT - Colorado football game in 2008. We board the plane and Earl is sitting right in the front row. We exchanged a hook’em. Later in the flight the flight attendant handed him the mic and he led the plane in the Eyes of Texas. 

First time I saw a roach/joint was at SRV's place off South Congress.  Paul Ray's son Jason lived with his mom and stepdad a couple houses down from us. Paul took Jason and I to some eco festival event at Zilker in the late 70s/early 80s. Afterwards we were at SRV's place for whatever Paul needed to see him for. I was 12-13 and SRV wasn't famous yet. This would have been around the Cobras era as I remember the Cobras poster in Jason's room but nothing about Paul's radio show at that point.
My uncle (Alex napier) played with the cobras.

When I was 12, a golf pro-am - the Amana VIP (any olds remember that one?) in 1982, the newly-minted Masters champ, Craig Stadler, hit an errant tee shot way into a grove of trees into a deserted area without any gallery ropes.  My Mom and I were cutting through that area as a shortcut, and stopped to watch his him try to hit some kind of heroic swooping cut shot first under a branch, then over a grove of trees.  Right in his backswing, my clueless Mom blurted out, "Heyyy, is that Craig Stadler??"  He flubbed his shot and glared at my Mom, and I was equally embarrassed so all I could do was mutter a "sorry Mr Stadler"

• Like 1

I saw Kelly McGinnis at sloppy Joes in key west drunk and loud 20 or so years ago.  She smelled bad or I would have tried to hook up.  Fast forward to last night I saw her in accuracy vampire movie.  She aged like milk.

To quote the Don "SAD!"

Me, the wife and youngest son sat in the row directly in front of Aeneas Williams and his wife on a flight from Houston to STL.  He had been inducted into the SWAC Hall of Fame and was on his way to STL (I think he still lives here).  They were both very nice. Our son was a probably 18 months old or so at the time.  AW was having quite the conversation with the kid.

I ran into Scarlett Johansson in Cabo while shopping several years ago. 

After a Cubs game, Eddie Vedder showed up at the bar I was at in Wrigleyville.

I had lunch with the Bulls coach, Fred Hoiberg. He said Jordan would score 40 ppg in today's NBA. He said the only way to slow him down was to hand check and that isn't allowed now, so he'd drive right around everybody. I got the feeling he didn't like KG. They played together in Minnesota and he really wouldn't say much about him. 

In the late 90's I emailed the Ultimate Warrior and he actually responded. His response was a long spiel about how there was only one warrior and how a true warrior does this or that. I didn't really understand it, but thought it was cool. I wish I would have saved it. 

I was drinking heavily at the MGM bar and Chris Mullin walked through. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get my picture with a member of the original dream team, so I stopped him. He was not very cordial, but I really didn't care and my buddy snapped a pic of us. It wasn't until the next day that I realized he probably didn't want a picture of him in a bar since he's a recovering alcoholic.  

On 4/9/2018 at 9:15 PM, Iowa Horn said:

When I was 12, a golf pro-am - the Amana VIP (any olds remember that one?) in 1982, the newly-minted Masters champ, Craig Stadler, hit an errant tee shot way into a grove of trees into a deserted area without any gallery ropes.  My Mom and I were cutting through that area as a shortcut, and stopped to watch his him try to hit some kind of heroic swooping cut shot first under a branch, then over a grove of trees.  Right in his backswing, my clueless Mom blurted out, "Heyyy, is that Craig Stadler??"  He flubbed his shot and glared at my Mom, and I was equally embarrassed so all I could do was mutter a "sorry Mr Stadler"

Stadler wasn't pissed at your ma.  He took it out on her ass later that night.

3 hours ago, OiU said:

I saw Kelly McGinnis at sloppy Joes in key west drunk and loud 20 or so years ago.  She smelled bad or I would have tried to hook up.  Fast forward to last night I saw her in accuracy vampire movie.  She aged like milk.

To quote the Don "SAD!"

I don't think she would've been interested in you, bro. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1175410/Im-lesbian-declares-Top-Gun-siren-Kelly-McGillis.html

On 4/2/2018 at 11:50 AM, midtown said:

Lori Laughlin

She was in the on field suites for the UT-USC game.  Stood in line for a drink next to her a couple of times.  Roger Clemens too.  McConaughey walked through on his way to on field access.

My mortgage guy for the first house I bought was the bassist for Deep Blue Something.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:35 AM, Bill Lumbergh said:

Some friends in Seattle live next door to Dave Matthews and watch his pets when he goes on tour.  Apparently he's really chill and brings his guitar over to their house to hang out on their porch and have beers.  We joke that the neighbors he likes get tour tickets while they're watching the pets. 

Would be a trip if one of the neighbor's dogs was named Winn Dixie.

My friend used to drive her daughter and Stefan Lessard's carpool to the Tandem Friends school in Charlottesville, used to bitch about stuffing his bass fiddle in the back of her Grand Cherokee, and how when he was asked to join DMB instead of going to college she told him that he was making the biggest mistake of his life.

My sister worked at Starbucks in Charlottesville during her undergrad years and sold Dave books on a regular basis.  Her right wing boyfriend was Dave's starbucks barista - no word yet if he kicked LeRoi or Rashawn or Boyd or Carter out for being black.  My friend Ford was DMB's merchandise guy for many many years.

Brief List-

Ran into Little Richard in an elevator in Los Angeles at the Hyatt. He started chatting me up and when he found out I was from Houston, got all excited because Houston was one of the places he got his start. He then proceeded to hand me a bunch of religious material for whatever conference he was attending and told me to give all the people in Houston his love. As flamboyant in real life as his on stage persona. 

Had a meal stolen by Ben Affleck - we were at some restaurant he was a part owner of and he was having a post Golden Globes party there and apparently whatever I ordered was his favorite dish. He was pretty intoxicated and just grabbed it from the kitchen. Our meal was comped and Ben apologized. I do remember seeing him emerge from the upstairs room where the party was happening, each time a bit more intoxicated. Think the last time we saw him, the ladies he was coming down the stairs to meet had to help him back upstairs. 

Chatted up Luke Wilson at the bar at the Four Seasons in Austin while he was ordering a plethora of tequila shots to take back up to his room. He was filming Idiocracy at the time.

Owned a rehearsal studio for a while in NW Houston and before the 2004 Super Bowl we hosted Toby Keith, his band, and another group of All-Stars, which included Steven Tyler & Joe Perry, Sammy Hagar, Chad Smith (Drummer for RHCP), Waymon Tisdale (who was a kick-ass bassist) and DMC from Run DMC. By far, the coolest of the dudes was DMC, who hung with us in one of the back rooms while our band was jammin with some of the roadies from Toby Keith's band. We later hooked him up with some beer as well. Also talked up Chad Smith a bit. Biggest primadonna of the bunch with Toby Keith....he didn't want anything to do with us, but the other dudes were cool (although Sammy came and went quickly, we really didn't see much of him).

Paul Wall was also a regular at our studio

Been in Arianna Huffington's house in LA back in the late 90's. My wife worked for her in DC briefly and Arianna invited us to her house when we were out in LA.  Loved Arianna's mother who was living with her at the time - Yia Yia. She tried to give Arianna's baby grand piano away to me

On 4/1/2018 at 11:10 PM, TTU13 said:

Literally ran into Emily jones at the ballpark this weekend. She was texting and I was taking a drink of my beer.

Love at first sight.

I grew up in Plainview, which is where Emily is from. She was my sisters babysitter a time or two growing up. I had no game at the age of 10 so that’s where the story ends. There might be a disposal camera somewhere at my parents house with a pic. Csb/

I was in court for Adrian Peterson's initial court appearance in Conroe. I remarked to the drug test tech that he was about to observe the most famous junk he'd ever see. A few minutes later AP gave his specimen and the tech told me AP was clean but a real dumbass (despite being clean, he admitted to using while on bond).

AP might have gone to jail that day, but the State fucked up. At the same approach to the bench where the State wanted the judge to set AP's bond aside, they FIRST asked the judge to recuse himself. The judge used this error as an out to not rule on the request, saying he could make no rulings until the recusal hearing was complete, which would be a few weeks later.

Not the coolest story, but it made an otherwise boring workday somewhat interesting, and I had multiple clients text me when I kept wandering in front of CNN's cameras.

Because it happened on Tuesday? I have no idea who any of those people are but the place seems empty, was everyone else at the bar or something? 

Tuesday is when we eat the birds, but apparently for these guys it's when they address an empty room. Thoughts and prayers or some such?

Edited by KaiserSoze

On 3/28/2018 at 3:29 PM, Ldogg53 said:

In HS we used to play pickup games of hoops with Rodney Hampton when he was playing for the Giants. 

Hung out with Joe Rogan at a bar one night.

Worked for UT Athletics my last year in Austin(1997-98) so got to meet tons of people there as well as our athletes. Too many to list.

Know Leland Sklar and his wife fairly well.  Enough so that we've been to each other's homes. (he's one of the most famous bass guitarists)

Otherwise I've met a bunch just randomly in life.  Dustin Hoffman, George W Bush,  Chelsea Clinton, Heather Locklear, Robert and Jonathon Kraft(and a bunch of 2001 Patriots), Dennis Miller, Boomer Esiason, Lamar Lathon, Jack Pardee, Bryan Cox, Warren Moon, Craig Biggio, Moises Alou, Vinny Castilla, Jose Cruz, Billy Gibbons, Willie Nelson

No Andres Gallaraga or Diron Talbert?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 11:39 PM, PencilPusher said:

Brief List-

Ran into Little Richard in an elevator in Los Angeles at the Hyatt. He started chatting me up and when he found out I was from Houston, got all excited because Houston was one of the places he got his start. He then proceeded to hand me a bunch of religious material for whatever conference he was attending and told me to give all the people in Houston his love. As flamboyant in real life as his on stage persona. 

Had a meal stolen by Ben Affleck - we were at some restaurant he was a part owner of and he was having a post Golden Globes party there and apparently whatever I ordered was his favorite dish. He was pretty intoxicated and just grabbed it from the kitchen. Our meal was comped and Ben apologized. I do remember seeing him emerge from the upstairs room where the party was happening, each time a bit more intoxicated. Think the last time we saw him, the ladies he was coming down the stairs to meet had to help him back upstairs. 

Chatted up Luke Wilson at the bar at the Four Seasons in Austin while he was ordering a plethora of tequila shots to take back up to his room. He was filming Idiocracy at the time.

Owned a rehearsal studio for a while in NW Houston and before the 2004 Super Bowl we hosted Toby Keith, his band, and another group of All-Stars, which included Steven Tyler & Joe Perry, Sammy Hagar, Chad Smith (Drummer for RHCP), Waymon Tisdale (who was a kick-ass bassist) and DMC from Run DMC. By far, the coolest of the dudes was DMC, who hung with us in one of the back rooms while our band was jammin with some of the roadies from Toby Keith's band. We later hooked him up with some beer as well. Also talked up Chad Smith a bit. Biggest primadonna of the bunch with Toby Keith....he didn't want anything to do with us, but the other dudes were cool (although Sammy came and went quickly, we really didn't see much of him).

Paul Wall was also a regular at our studio

Been in Arianna Huffington's house in LA back in the late 90's. My wife worked for her in DC briefly and Arianna invited us to her house when we were out in LA.  Loved Arianna's mother who was living with her at the time - Yia Yia. She tried to give Arianna's baby grand piano away to me

Dude... anything you want to get off your chest?

The most actual interaction I’ve had was a private lunch with Romo last spring when he was mulling retirement/CBS vs Texans. Was supposed to have dinner with Mark Cuban that night but he canceled. 

When I was in high school Michael Irvin sat next to me and my grandpa at a gate at DFW and talked to us for 10 minutes or so. My grandpa had no clue who he was. 

Lendale White was on a Vegas to Denver flight with me a couple weeks ago. Not nearly as fat as I would have guessed. 

Don Johnson is my dad’s second cousin. Never met him though. 

Had the pleasure of getting to know Tony Parker and Eva Longoria (while married) on numerous occasions. My best buds sister-in-law was Eva’s body double.

Got extremely hammered with Duce Staley while going through Army Recruiting school in Columbia, SC 

Shawn Michaels (WWE) bought me drinks on the flight home back home to San Antonio from NJ (I was on leave from my 1st deployment)

Sold 2 Cane Corsos to Tim Duncan and his gf Vanessa. 

• 4 months later...

I ran into Priest Holmes about 10 years ago at some event or another.  Like, we physically ran into each other in the crowd.  I was so shocked at who it was once I recognized him that all I could say was "You're Priest Holmes!" and kind of pointed at him from a foot away.  lol derp

He was super cool though, laughed it off, said hi to the people I was there with, etc.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

Had dinner with Ralph Sampson and his second wife, and also hosted a joint valentine's party with him and a couple buddies.  We all chipped in and bought a party package at a silent auction.  Dude is freakishly tall, he seems to fold and unfold himself when he stoops below a door head to enter a room.  He has two (I think it was 2) really smoking hot, and funny sisters.

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Had dinner with Ralph Sampson and his second wife, and also hosted a joint valentine's party with him and a couple buddies.  We all chipped in and bought a party package at a silent auction.  Dude is freakishly tall, he seems to fold and unfold himself when he stoops below a door head to enter a room.  He has two (I think it was 2) really smoking hot, and funny sisters.

Years ago a friend of mine gave me his courtside tickets to a Rockets game at the old Compaq Center. As the game was winding down Manute Bol and a few of the Washington Bullets came wandering in (they played the Rockets the next evening) and found their way down courtside.  

Manute sat next to me.  He was astoundingly tall and loved to talk trash.

I say "what's up, little fella? You in town jockeying horses at the horse track?"

He eyeballs me while one of his teammates who's name I don't recall starts snickering.  Manute cracks a big old grin and starts jabbering and yucking it up.  He was a character.  

/csb

Edited by deadshank

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Years ago a friend of mine gave me his courtside tickets to a Rockets game at the old Compaq Center. As the game was winding down Manute Bol and a few of the Washington Bullets came wandering in (they played the Rockets the next evening) and found their way down courtside.  

Manute sat next to me.  He was astoundingly tall and loved to talk trash.

I say "what's up, little fella? You in town jockeying horses at the horse track?"

He eyeballs me while one of his teammates who's name I don't recall starts snickering.  Manute cracks a big old grin and starts jabbering and yucking it up.  He was a character.  

/csb

Niiiiiiice.

• 1 month later...