CR Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting

GSU&UT

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

He unapologetically takes money from Sheldon Adelson. He also unapologetically calls Nazis "fine people" and attacked the mother of a woman killed by one of them. In the recent rally where he called himself a nationalist he also criticized "globalists" (nudge nudge wink wink).

Trump cares about Trump. He doesn't really give a fuck about the Jewish people as a whole one way or another. 

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s disgusting when any “leader” will not disavow evil groups or ideals because it doesn’t serve their political goals.  I don’t think trump is anti-Semitic.  But he won’t call out the bigots and racists because he most likely gets a high percentage of their support.

And there was a good point made on CNN this morning that it occurs on the left as well.  Bill Clinton should not have appeared on the same stage as Louis Farrakhan at the Aretha Franklin memorial. Perhaps he didn’t want to create an issue at that event but black religious leaders should not mainstream Farrakhan.  He’s a bad guy that has somehow gained acceptance just because he’s been around forever.  

And the GOP norm of painting Soros as the anti christ has to stop.  I can’t see that he is doing anything different from many other wealthy donors like Mercer, adelson or the Koch brothers.     Even freaking Greg Abbott has jumped on the George Soros hate bandwagon.   What a POS. 

Soros is hated by Netanyahu and a vast swath of Israelis. Disliking Soros is not ant-Semitic.

SIAP 

"Everyone has their own style,” Pence said in the interview, which aired Saturday. “And frankly, people on both sides of the aisle use strong language about our political differences. But I just don’t think you can connect it to threats or acts of violence, Vaughn. And I don’t think the American people connect it.”

Thanks VP Pence! You are doing great!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pence-dont-link-political-rhetoric-to-pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting/2018/10/28/df466f10-dab3-11e8-b3f0-62607289efee_story.html?utm_term=.2cc64f203ea9

Just a note that American Muslims have already reached out and done more in the name and interest of peace and unity here than our president or any of his sycophants have: https://www.launchgood.com/project/muslims_unite_for_pittsburgh_synagogue#!/

In a campaign organized by CelebrateMercy and MPower Change, the Muslim-American community extends its hands to help the shooting victims, whether it is the injured victims or the Jewish families who have lost loved ones.

We wish to respond to evil with good, as our faith instructs us, and send a powerful message of compassion through action. Our Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said: "Show mercy to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will show mercy to you." The Quran also teaches us to "Repel evil by that which is better.”
While these senseless acts have filled us with sorrow, we reflect on the message of unity, tolerance, and mutual protection found in the Constitution of Medina: a historic social contract between the Medinan Jews and the first Muslim community. We are also inspired by the example of our Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, who stood up to pay respects for a passing Jewish funeral procession. When questioned on why he stood for a Jewish funeral, he responded, "Is it not a human soul?"

I’m a cynic. I don’t believe that love alone can defeat hate. But it’s damned well part of the arsenal.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I’m a cynic. I don’t believe that love alone can defeat hate. But it’s damned well part of the arsenal.

Is wishing death upon the families of other posters here part of the arsenal? 

I mean he’s annoying as shit but now I’m confused.

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

That’s weak shit, @OatmealRaisinCookie

Nothing personal, it’s one of these things where Clint and I are seeing who can out petty one another by literally negging whatever it is posted, irrespective of content. I don’t know how it got to this point, but Clint and I are knee deep in it. 

Everyone else carry on and don’t mind us if you see random -1’s.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

It's Oatmeal, who is Very Both Sides

I am absolutely “both sides” as a political ideology, but the negs have nothing to do with anything other than pettiness Clint and I are steeped in currently. 

Is wishing death upon the families of other posters here part of the arsenal? 
I mean he’s annoying as shit but now I’m confused.

Is he part of the opposition? Or is he one who repeatedly excuses the violent rhetoric of the current regime and its sycophants, with no regard for the very real death, pain, and suffering they have already inflicted?

Because if you will not push back against such things, then you demonstrate no regard for the lives of your fellow humans, which are actually jeopardized and have been taken. What does it take to get through to such a person? We can tell him about the dangers of fire all day long. But he won’t even think of changing his approach till he touches the hot stove himself.

So be it. The stove is plenty hot; the alt right is making sure that the fire within remains raging. It’s just a matter of who gets burned, and when. When his family members find themselves in the crosshairs, perhaps he’ll realize this isn’t a game, it isn’t a “both sides” sham, it isn’t an issue of “free speech.” It’s a matter of life and death. Preserving life has little impact on him. Perhaps experiencing the death of a loved one will.

The cold truth is, a society can murder millions and not rouse resistance from the masses - we’ve seen it before. I’d like to hope that this time, we’d be different. But I doubt it. Because, hey, they’re just Jews, or libtards, or journalists, or black people, or folks who help beaners. They’re not, you know, US. The real America-loving patriots. And America has to be protected.

“HIAS likes to bring invaders that kill our people. I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics. I’m going in.”

Get used to that. You’re gonna see a lot more.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Is he part of the opposition? Or is he one who repeatedly excuses the violent rhetoric of the current regime and its sycophants, with no regard for the very real death, pain, and suffering they have already inflicted?

Because if you will not push back against such things, then you demonstrate no regard for the lives of your fellow humans, which are actually jeopardized and have been taken. What does it take to get through to such a person? We can tell him about the dangers of fire all day long. But he won’t even think of changing his approach till he touches the hot stove himself.

So be it. The stove is plenty hot; the alt right is making sure that the fire within remains raging. It’s just a matter of who gets burned, and when. When his family members find themselves in the crosshairs, perhaps he’ll realize this isn’t a game, it isn’t a “both sides” sham, it isn’t an issue of “free speech.” It’s a matter of life and death. Preserving life has little impact on him. Perhaps experiencing the death of a loved one will.

The cold truth is, a society can murder millions and not rouse resistance from the masses - we’ve seen it before. I’d like to hope that this time, we’d be different. But I doubt it. Because, hey, they’re just Jews, or libtards, or journalists, or black people, or folks who help beaners. They’re not, you know, US. The real America-loving patriots. And America has to be protected.

“HIAS likes to bring invaders that kill our people. I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics. I’m going in.”

Get used to that. You’re gonna see a lot more.

you wished death on his family. No need to be a drama queen 24/7. 

• Like 1

you wished death on his family. No need to be a drama queen 24/7. 

He doesn’t care about the deaths of the folks in Pittsburgh - at least, he doesn’t care enough to even think of being critical of the folks who stoked the fire of hatred that burned them.

What do you think will make people like him begin to care?

Some people don’t get it till they touch the stove.

Because of hatred, happily and eagerly stoked by voices as “credible” as Lou Dobbs, people held their loved ones as they died yesterday. And his response to that hatred is is “hey, free speech!” Their burns are meaningless to him. He won’t get it till he touches the hot stove himself.

I wish for him to do so. Maybe then he’ll understand the existential (literally) threat that the “other” in our society faces. Maybe.
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

He doesn’t care about the deaths of the folks in Pittsburgh - at least, he doesn’t care enough to even think of being critical of the folks who stoked the fire of hatred that burned them.

What do you think will make people like him begin to care?

Some people don’t get it till they touch the stove.

Because of hatred, happily and eagerly stoked by voices as “credible” as Lou Dobbs, people held their loved ones as they died yesterday. And his response to that hatred is is “hey, free speech!” Their burns are meaningless to him. He won’t get it till he touches the hot stove himself.

I wish for him to do so. Maybe then he’ll understand the existential (literally) threat that the “other” in our society faces. Maybe.

still, leave his family out of it. 

still, leave his family out of it. 

Why?

Were the families of the synagogue victims “left out of it?”

Maybe you haven’t been paying attention, but people are fucking DYING out there, at the hands of people egged on by the xenophobic hate movement that Trumpsim has fed. This isn’t rhetoric, or alarmism. There are actually bodies stacked up today because of it.

None of us are “left out of it” - particularly those of us who are members of groups relentlessly demonized by the alt right and Fox News.

He thinks he’s “left out of it.” Nope. And if he thinks that way, maybe he needs a tangible reminder that he’s not.

Some people will tolerate evil till it kills everyone but them and theirs. That’s fucking pure evil in itself.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Trump and a large portion of the GOP (both reps like Kevin McCarthy and pundits like Dobbs and Carlson) are absolutely responsible for legitimizing and promoting the insane conspiracy theorists who are planting the seeds of this violent garbage across the United States.  They have worked tirelessly to blur the lines between reality and violent, racist propaganda and have never stopped whipping up that base for political ends regardless of the consequence.  This is the consequence.  This is going to continue to happen.  They are responsible for this.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, NowThis said:

intolerance is on the left and the right

Yeah, but absolutely no context or accountability on the leadership of the right.

That's the issue.  No one's debating that each side has assholes.  It's only the assholes at the top that we can discuss, because we see how they respond to this kind of stuff.  To not take a stand against the response of the leadership of the right is to promote the intolerance.

• Like 1

No shit. I just read it. 

Brisket,  I agree with a lot of your ideology, but that was way, way, WAY over the line.  You should apologize. 

For what? For wondering what it will take for people to call out the evil being spewed by our leadership, Fox News, and their sycophantic minions?

Answer me this, and I’ll apologize: what will it take, short of feeling the ultimate price itself, for people like him to say “enough - this rhetoric of demonization of ‘the other’ has gone too far, and has to stop?” Because I don’t think that anything, short of feeling the anguish those families felt yesterday, will get through to him.

Tomorrow is going to happen again. And again. And again. Until people like him stand up and say “no more.” And they won’t do that. They disclaim all responsibility, and continue their rhetorical assault on the other - fucking Lou Dobbs did it last night, and the bodies weren’t even cold.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why?

Maybe you haven’t been paying attention, but people are fucking DYING out there, at the hands of people egged on by the xenophobic hate movement that Trumpsim has fed. This isn’t rhetoric, or alarmism. There are actually bodies stacked up today because of it.

None of us are “left out of it” - particularly those of us who are members of groups relentlessly demonized by the alt right and Fox News.

He thinks he’s “left out of it.” Nope. And if he thinks that way, maybe he needs a tangible reminder that he’s not.

Some people will tolerate evil till it kills everyone but them and theirs. That’s fucking pure evil in itself.

You need some time away from all this. You're a couple steps away from crazy pipe bomb van guy. 

• Like 1

Brisket, you have completely flipped.

Tell me what experience or message will get through to him and those like him short of finding themselves in the crosshairs that my friends and family are in, and I’ll happily apologize and retract my earlier post.

Tell me what it will take. Because a murderer, fueled by alt-right propaganda, walking into a house of worship and slaughtering people, apparently isn’t enough.

You need some time away from all this. You're a couple steps away from crazy pipe bomb van guy. 

See my post above.

All I’m asking is for you to tell me what it WILL take to get through to people, for then to say “enough of this demonization of ‘the other.’ Stop.”

I really and truly want to know, because I’m at wit’s end - I truly don’t think that ANYTHING will.

38 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Nothing personal, it’s one of these things where Clint and I are seeing who can out petty one another by literally negging whatever it is posted, irrespective of content. I don’t know how it got to this point, but Clint and I are knee deep in it. 

Everyone else carry on and don’t mind us if you see random -1’s.

Clint? Is that supposed to be me?

Trump and a large portion of the GOP (both reps like Kevin McCarthy and pundits like Dobbs and Carlson) are absolutely responsible for legitimizing and promoting the insane conspiracy theorists who are planting the seeds of this violent garbage across the United States.  They have worked tirelessly to blur the lines between reality and violent, racist propaganda and have never stopped whipping up that base for political ends regardless of the consequence.  This is the consequence.  This is going to continue to happen.  They are responsible for this.

And they are enabled and excused at every turn.

That’s the problem. When you shield the arsonists from all consequences, you guarantee even more fire.

You're a smart guy. You honestly think any of this on here makes a difference? When has anyone had their minds changed on the political forum of a website? 

I'm not kidding, you are on the path to being the people you despise. You need to detach from this. But you won't so like with Derka, I'm done with this topic for a while. 

Edited by mdmost

Yeah.. If I got a vacation for jokingly telling a poster who tried and failed half a dozen times to post some images then Brisket should definitely get some time off.  

Pics of boobs are more serious than death.

Surly out front shoulda told ya.

Oh, and I took my time off last night.

Still see that those who would excuse and enable the arsonists still would. Truly amazing.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Tell me what experience or message will get through to him and those like him short of finding themselves in the crosshairs that my friends and family are in, and I’ll happily apologize and retract my earlier post.

Tell me what it will take. Because a murderer, fueled by alt-right propaganda, walking into a house of worship and slaughtering people, apparently isn’t enough.

I don't know. I can tell you that, personally, I am pretty damn near the top of the Ethnic Privilege Food Chain, and exhibit some passing sympathy towards others who have had to swim against stronger currents than I did, and none of that good part of me came from wishes or reality that a family member might be harmed.

You were wrong to type that, and you know it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NowThis said:

intolerance is on the left and the right

everybody in america has money

Trump lies, but all politicians lie

Trump isn't perfect, but other people also have flaws

Fox News spews propaganda, but CNN also has pundits and MSNBC reports directly to the left

enough of this bullshit, it's part of the problem.  not all things are equal

You're a smart guy. You honestly think any of this on here makes a difference? When has anyone had their minds changed on the political forum of a website? 
I'm not kidding, you are on the path to being the people you despise. You need to detach from this. But you won't so like with Derka, I'm done with this topic for a while. 

Here’s a simple question to you about my “path.”

What defeated the evil of naziism? Was it a) love and understanding, or b) fighting them like the existential threat that they were?

11 dead at a synagogue. For the bonus “crime” of being kind to brown people. Nobody who matters seems to give a single fuck. In fact, they’re doubling down on their hate, and promising to “tone it UP.” You tell ME what the right response to that is, and I’ll certainly consider it.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why?

we don't kill off the family of any murderer.  Duh. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Clint? Is that supposed to be me?

Yes. Lol

oh also brisket, gosh. Someone who knows him do a health check and bring him a casserole 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pittsburgh-mayor-says-armed-guards-are-not-the-solution-in-wake-of-synagogue-shooting/2018/10/28/dc8e62da-dabf-11e8-85df-7a6b4d25cfbb_story.html?tid=sm_fb_pol

“I think the approach that we need to be looking at is how we take the guns — which is the common denominator of every mass shooting in America — out of the hands of those that are looking to express hatred through murder,” he said at a news conference in Pittsburgh

yep. On the TV he said it. 

I don't know. I can tell you that, personally, I am pretty damn near the top of the Ethnic Privilege Food Chain, and exhibit some passing sympathy towards others who have had to swim against stronger currents than I did, and none of that good part of me came from wishes or reality that a family member might be harmed.
You were wrong to type that, and you know it.

Oh, I readily concede that those wishes didn’t come from “the good part of me.”

Our “good part” is getting a full-on assfucking by “the bad part” that is presently in charge of this country. Maybe “the good part” isn’t worth a shit. Just something to consider.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

See my post above.

All I’m asking is for you to tell me what it WILL take to get through to people, for then to say “enough of this demonization of ‘the other.’ Stop.”

I really and truly want to know, because I’m at wit’s end - I truly don’t think that ANYTHING will.

Nothing will get through to some, maybe most, people.  They won't stop demonizing the other.  They are irredeemable.  Focus on getting the people who are angry, and there are lots of us, to act to end this.  Focus on getting the saner people, the traditional republicans, who for whatever reason still don't see the light to change their minds.  TJ and Icono are better off ignored and relegated to the sidelines.

I don't want to turn this into being about me, but I see what happened and think of people I know.  My own synagogue was one of the hundreds that participated in the HIAS event that was one of the things the gunman was so upset about.  And we had a baby naming yesterday.  It could just as easily have been us.

But I was enraged yesterday.  Today, going to canvas for a local House race that's a possible flip and sent money to HIAS and to programs to help the survivors of the shooting.

• Like 3