CR Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting

GSU&UT

Just now, Degenerate Gardner said:

Is it to much to hope that we won't view this through a political lens unless the facts merit it?  

Well we can have a debate about the shooters possible political-type of motive, or we can have a gun control debate again.

I'm not sure what to make of the political frame in the op.

I don't know nearly enough to have an opinion on why this happened.

The increase in mass shootings should be telling us something, but I don't think we're getting whatever the message is. We jump to quickly to political spin and focusing only on gun control. My guess is that the increase in mass shootings is more complex.

I'm reminded of the movie Brazil where terroristic acts are so common that people barely raise an eyebrow.

• Like 1

I mean neg me if you want because it's just too soon to discuss this in terms of politics, but this wasn't an unknown place for me. I spent a summer at CMU right next to the Squirrel Hill neighborhood and didn't know until I went up there how big of a Jewish population there is next to the university. I'm sure on Shaggy if this was a brown person screaming anti-american/white rhetoric as he killed 8 people that someone would have instantly made a thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

The increase in mass shootings should be telling us something, but I don't think we're getting whatever the message is. We jump to quickly to political spin and focusing only on gun control. My guess is that the increase in mass shootings is more complex.

I'm reminded of the movie Brazil where terroristic acts are so common that people barely raise an eyebrow.

It’s not a shooter/gun/bomber problem.

It’s a radicalization problem.

Vanilla ISIS.

• Like 2

It's not that discussing the shooting's politics is wrong, though it's possibly premature.

It's that I do not want slews of terroristic events to truly have clear political undertones.  Maybe "denial" is the word for it.  When we live in an America where this happens and our President can't resist stoking division, I don't know what comes next.

4 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

It's not that discussing the shooting's politics is wrong, though it's possibly premature.

It's that I do not want slews of terroristic events to truly have clear political undertones.  Maybe "denial" is the word for it.  When we live in an America where this happens and our President can't resist stoking division, I don't know what comes next.

Oh, I know what comes next.  I know very well.  Not to go all Brisket here, and I certainly haven't been vocal about it on this site, but I have called every fucking step of the deterioration of this country since that asshole got elected.  The only thing that surprises me is how fast it's all happening.  I've promised my husband to wait until after the midterms before having my next meltdown but I'm not hopeful.

And oh yeah, this synagogue in Pittsburgh is my SIL's home congregation and I am dreading like hell having to call her.  Chances she knows the victims hover right around 100%.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

What does this even mean? Terrorism is inherently political. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not a big leap to imagine that someone who wants all Jews dead is likely to have far-right political leanings which are only getting fueled by executive branch rhetoric and actions.

exactly.  Trump's vocal support of  Israel and moving our embassy to Jerusalem are doing nothing but fanning the flames of right wing jew hatred.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

What does this even mean? Terrorism is inherently political. 

Setting aside whether that is true, it feels as if that the frequency of politically-motivated violence has increased - and it's not coming from "both sides".  I can both recognize that fact and wish it wasn't true.  Yes, it's in conflict.  That's what makes it excruciating.

This... I hope this truly is the nadir of all this madness. 

Keep hoping...it won’t work.

And while it seems that he’s not a trump worshipper...look at WHY. It’s because he doesn’t think Trump is ENOUGH of a racist. See the caravan motivation. Which is fed to him by the gallon by Fox News and the other mouthpieces of the alt right.

Gasoline. Poured all over everything. And we’re surprised when shit goes up in flames.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And while it seems that he’s not a trump worshipper...look at WHY. It’s because he doesn’t think Trump is ENOUGH of a racist. See the caravan motivation. Which is fed to him by the gallon by Fox News and the other mouthpieces of the alt right.

Gasoline. Poured all over everything. And we’re surprised when shit goes up in flames.

I thought Fox was telling us that the caravan was bringing in some terrorists....I didn't realize that the infestation of the central american caravan by the jews was the real problem and motivation for shooting up a synagogue.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thanks for boiling down what I was thinking. Based on the tweets, he thinks Trump isn't Trumpy enough.

I thought Fox was telling us that the caravan was bringing in some terrorists....I didn't realize that the infestation of the central american caravan by the jews was the real problem and motivation for shooting up a synagogue.

Read what he said. He blamed the Jews for letting brown people in.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The real problem is foreigners and impure people threatening us from within! Let's be thorough and kill them all! The queens and the coons and the reds and the Jews!

PepperyMessyBarracuda-size_restricted.gi

Things are bad and getting worse, my friends.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  From way back in the campaign, when Trump used anti-semitic imagery in campaign materials, and his supporters said, "He's not anti-semitic; his daughter converted to Judaism!", I would always say that I'm not worried about him, but the movement he is leading, and the people within that movement who come next.  

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Read what he said. He blamed the Jews for letting brown people in.

Ah, and so that's Trump's fault for being the most pro-Israel, pro-Jewish President in modern times.  Clever bastard. Amazing how many ways Trump finds to stir up hate.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Ah, and so that's Trump's fault for being the most pro-Israel, pro-Jewish President in modern times.  Clever bastard. Amazing how many ways Trump finds to stir up hate.

You're right. Especially with how the shooter was so mad about the migrant caravan and was SURE its the jews fault. Whos been beating the "caravan is full of rapists and terrorists" drum again? Yeah you're right, trump has zero culpabuluty in all this

Hitler's racial gold standard was blonde-haired blue-eyed Nords.  He hardly fit the description.  In the end, the Nazis' use of "Aryan" was really mostly a means to distinguish from "non-Aryan", or Jews, but that didn't stop them from propping up an image that Hitler himself didn't come close to meeting.  Anyone looking for cold, logical decision-making from an authoritarian is wasting their time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The most pro-Jewish President ever has supporters who organize torch parades chanting "jews will not replace us"

• Like 6

I didn’t say that and neither did the shooter.

The alt right movement that trump has embraced (but not strongly enough, let the shooter) stirs it up.

This guy was pissed about the “caravan.” That’s the motive. Gee, I wonder which movement is characterizing the caravan as a threat?
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Surly thought police out strong as expected. Perhaps this tragedy like many of the past tragedies doesn’t fit into the half the country is at fault narrative. 

So wait, are you saying both sides are at fault? Those Jews sure had it coming, what with their peaceful worship at their synagogue amirite

59 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Bad sports.. JUST BAD SPORTS....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Negged for obfuscation and lying. Trump would not condemn the White Supremacist (euphemism for NAZI) demonstrators who chanted "The Jews will not replace us!" and the ever popular "Blood and Soil" in Charlottesville. He even said that there were some good people among them and equated them with those who demonstrated against their message.

650px-Blut_und_Boden.svg.png

I'm forced at last to suspect any apologist for this vile administration of being party to fascism either knowingly or as useful idiots. 

Thanks for putting us on the track towards killing each other. It won't be a one way street for much longer. Then the real chaos begins.

Tragic, idiotic anarchy will replace us. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1