Curious as to this whole "blame" thing

Hornius Emeritus

Every time Texas loses I come to this board and see a litany of posts that blame the loss on X.  There seems to be this profound human need to ascribe blame whenever something bad happens.  X could be Hager, it could be Boyd, it could be Herman, it could be bad calls that went against us ....it could be anything.

My question is, what if it's all of those things, plus Y, with Y being unknowable? What if it's NONE of those things except Y?  What if it's simply that the universe is randomly chaotic?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Every time Texas loses I come to this board and see a litany of posts that blame the loss on X.  There seems to be this profound human need to ascribe blame whenever something bad happens.  X could be Hager, it could be Boyd, it could be Herman, it could be bad calls that went against us ....it could be anything.

My question is, what if it's all of those things, plus Y, with Y being unknowable? What if it's NONE of those things except Y?  What if it's simply that the universe is randomly chaotic?

God does not play dice with college football.

• Like 3

Clearly its the idea that you can control the game. Perhaps that means their is illusion of control just like there is illusion of momentum? lol.

But realistically in a game, if you don't play with responsibility and understanding, you aren't going to play well. We aren't playing electric football here.

46 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Clearly its the idea that you can control the game. Perhaps that means their is illusion of control just like there is illusion of momentum? lol.

But realistically in a game, if you don't play with responsibility and understanding, you aren't going to play well. We aren't playing electric football here.

Wait, what?  

That explains a lot of things.

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Ok State played well and they are not getting near enough credit. They had great O overall in the first half, and when we were coming back, they had great playcalls to put the game away. 

We got outcoached and our D dug a huge hole and then withered in crunch team. But they were also just beat by better coaching/calls. This game was a combo of OSU superior coaching, execution and our piss poor effort by every D member and our receivers. 

I’m not baked, so I can’t provide answers to OP. But the reasons for the loss are so very easy to see. 

1 hour ago, QuesoEspecial said:

Interesting part of the blame game on this loss is no one is putting it on the quarterback which is different than most of the losses since...Colt or David Ash?

Since Colt. In the 9-win 2012 season, Ash looked average multiple times. And there are still people like Derka and Helobius that are critical of Sam last night, which is laughable. 

Calling out defense individuals last night serves little purpose because the entire unit was terrible. Except calling out Hager should happen, because of his end-of-game antics, the hype (wearing #60 - what a crock), and certain few posters here that defend him as if he’s any sort of factor. 

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Even if all you say is correct, how does this absolve Beck for his horrendous playcalling?  Playcalling that is 100% responsible for every single game that we have lost?  Let that sink in. Every single game. His only saving grace is that he has the foresight to surrender playcalling responsibility in the games we win.  

• Fuck You 2

31 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

Even if all you say is correct, how does this absolve Beck for his horrendous playcalling?  Playcalling that is 100% responsible for every single game that we have lost?  Let that sink in. Every single game. His only saving grace is that he has the foresight to surrender playcalling responsibility in the games we win.  

This is a troll job, right? Of all the shit that was majorly wrong last night, playcalling shouldn’t be near the top of that list.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

This is a troll job, right? Of all the shit that was majorly wrong last night, playcalling shouldn’t be near the top of that list.

No shit.  I lost track of how many receptions our receivers should have had/could have had in which the ball hit them right in the hands and was dropped.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

this whole constant knee-jerk flip-flopping deal at first i thought was an amusing joke, now i think the entire board is just regarded.

3 hours ago, VaHorn said:

So, Beck is a terrible playcaller, but he's got sure hands when he calls a pass to himself?

17 minutes ago, markstanco said:

After a loss, these threads only pop up on Texas boards. It absolutely does not happen on USC, Oklahoma, Ohio state, etc boards.

OP completely understands the internet.

What about "There seems to be this profound human need to ascribe blame whenever something bad happens"  makes you think that I think these threads only pop up on Texas boards?  Or did you simply not understand my words?

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

21 minutes ago, El Squared said:

It’s ok it’s nobody’s fault....that’s the Mr Rogers generation answer for everything.

accountability is a word that doesn’t belong in the dictionary, just on political slogans and ad campaigns.

Woooosh!

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It's just going to get worse now that we're starting to give a shit again

6 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Since Colt. In the 9-win 2012 season, Ash looked average multiple times. And there are still people like Derka and Helobius that are critical of Sam last night, which is laughable. 

Calling out defense individuals last night serves little purpose because the entire unit was terrible. Except calling out Hager should happen, because of his end-of-game antics, the hype (wearing #60 - what a crock), and certain few posters here that defend him as if he’s any sort of factor. 

You’re such a fucking idiot, but what can one expect from a grown man that still throws around “faggot” as an insult (you called me that in the game thread). It’s insane that saying “bottom line is Sam played more than good enough to get the W” (direct quote of mine from last night) = me being critical of Sam. You can’t even handle NEUTRAL, not even negative, commentary on his play. You act like anyone that says anything less than Sam is  the greatest being to walk the earth since Christ is just being so unfathomably mean and critical to him. Go fuck yourself you self-righteous piece of shit.

Also Westlake has won as many state titles as the Donna fucking Redskins, so go hang your awesome community pride hat on that you fucking asshole.

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

You’re such a fucking idiot, but what can one expect from a grown man that still throws around “faggot” as an insult (you called me that in the game thread). It’s insane that saying “bottom line is Sam played more than good enough to get the W” (direct quote of mine from last night) = me being critical of Sam. You can’t even handle NEUTRAL, not even negative, commentary on his play. You act like anyone that says anything less than Sam is  the greatest being to walk the earth since Christ is just being so unfathomably mean and critical to him. Go fuck yourself you self-righteous piece of shit.

Also Westlake has won as many state titles as the Donna fucking Redskins, so go hang your awesome community pride hat on that you fucking asshole.

Well that escalated quickly.