2018-2019 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

I was google searching b/c I couldn't remember.  Pretty sure I recall when the Astros hired Kevin Goldstein away from Baseball Prospectus.  Apparently being a Baseball Prospectus writer is a great way to get an MLB gig:

Some former regular writers no longer appear on the site but are employed on the staffs of major league baseball organizations, including as of 2014 Keith Woolner (Cleveland Indians),[26] James Click (Tampa Bay Rays),[27] Dan Fox (Pittsburgh Pirates),[28] Mike Fast (Houston Astros),[29] Kevin Goldstein (Houston Astros),[30] and Colin Wyers (Houston Astros). In addition, Keith Law, now an ESPN columnist, in 2002 moved from Baseball Prospectus to work on player evaluation in the front office of the Toronto Blue Jays

And of course Nate Silver's non-baseball gigs which don't belong on this thread.

Man, what a group.

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Damn, Jeff Sullivan is taking a job with the Rays.  I've always enjoyed reading his stuff.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/farewell-one-good-place-on-the-internet/

Yeah, fangraphs is done cleaned out.  That one really surprised me because Sullivan was the least analytical writer there -- he was way more entertaining than analytical.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I was google searching b/c I couldn't remember.  Pretty sure I recall when the Astros hired Kevin Goldstein away from Baseball Prospectus.  Apparently being a Baseball Prospectus writer is a great way to get an MLB gig:

And of course Nate Silver's non-baseball gigs which don't belong on this thread.

Man, what a group.

SHit, that doesn't even mention Voros McCracken, Gary Huckaby, Sherri Nichols, Clay Davenport, Rany Jazerelli, etc.  I remember when they were posting on rec.sport.baseball.

Is there a bigger asshole in sports than Trevor Bauer? Here’s a long Sports Illustrated profile. https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/trevor-bauer-cleveland-indians-training-tools-twitter-controversy-cy-young
Here’s a taste:
“For the longest time, I just couldn’t figure out why everyone hated me,” he says. “I used to feel really bad for myself. Like, Why don’t I have any friends? Why don’t girls like me? Why does everyone s--- talk me? Am I really that bad of a person?”

One morning, during his junior year at Hart, Bauer returned home from an early pool workout, took a shower and looked at himself in the mirror, feeling sorry for himself as usual. Then something flipped. “I don’t see anything that I dislike,” he told himself. “I’m going to go off to college and play baseball. I’m successful. I’m smart. I like myself.” From that day forward, he says, “I just stopped giving a f--- what people thought of me. And now I just don’t care.”

S0...looking like Harper to Philly is set to happen this week...

Spoiler

Negotiations between the Philadelphia Phillies and Bryce Harper could be resolved by Tuesday, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney.

The Phillies remain confident that they are going to sign Harper, but sources told Olney that the sides are nearing a crossroads in their negotiations.

If the Phillies close out a deal with Harper, it would conclude an offseason in which Philadelphia landed two All-Star outfielders in Harper and Andrew McCutchen, All-Star reliever David Robertson and J.T. Realmuto, who is widely considered the best catcher in baseball.

Phillies managing general partner John Middleton flew to Las Vegas for meetings with the Harper camp on Friday, sources previously confirmed to ESPN's Jeff Passan. Those discussions continued into Saturday before Middleton departed.

NBC Sports Philadelphia was first to report that a representative from the Phillies was in Las Vegas on Friday.

The Phillies also met with Harper in January in Las Vegas. Other teams known to have met with Harper this winter include the San Francisco Giants, Chicago White Sox, San Diego Padres, Los Angeles Dodgers and Washington Nationals, with whom Harper spent the first seven seasons of his career.

Harper, 26, is looking for a deal in excess of the 10-year, $300 million contract the Nationals reportedly offered him at the end of the regular season. The left-handed-hitting outfielder batted only .249 in 2018 but had 34 home runs and 100 RBIs and came on strong after the All-Star break.

The Phillies ranked 11th in the National League in runs scored last season, and their right-handed-heavy lineup could use a lefty power hitter.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26067919/contract-talks-bryce-harper-phillies-nearing-conclusion

I remember playing a game on Sega called Sports Talk Baseball, and Detroit was actually one of my favorite teams: Mickey Tettleton, Cecil Fielder, Lou Whitaker, Tram [Alan Trammell].

https://www.mlb.com/news/josh-harrison-excited-to-join-tigers

That game was fucking badass. I still have my Genesis, may have to dig it out just for that. 

3 hours ago, Scraps said:
3 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Wut lol

Yeah I don't really get the need for this. 2-3 years, sure go for it. 7 years on a guy who turns 30 this year after coming off a career season seems excessive, then again $10 million a year for a player is couch money for the Yankees.

CLAYTON KERSHAWS P, LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Clayton Kershaw's (shoulder) throwing program is on hold again after he "didn't feel great" while playing catch Monday, according to Dodgers manager Dave Roberts.

The left-hander was throwing for the first time in nearly a week after he felt soreness in his pitching shoulder. Regarding Kershaw's status, Roberts added that it "might be a day or two before he picks it up again," which, frankly, sounds optimistic. While he still posted a 2.73 ERA, Kershaw's strikeouts and velocity were down notably last season, and now he's dealing with a shoulder issue on top of his chronic back problems. He has to be considered highly questionable for Opening Day at this point.

well this isn't good.

20 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Colorado and Arenado closing in on an 8 yr 255mil deal.  Player opt out after 2021.  

It's amazing that the Rockies have enough money to extend Arenado, but the DBacks claimed they couldn't afford to keep Goldschmidt, even  though their TV contract has just gone from $31M/year to $80M/year:

Breaking it down, this would appear to lead to the club getting around $80 million per year for the rights to their games, which would be 2.5 times the current rate, of $31 million per season. There seems little doubt that the additional $50 million in income will be available in payroll, team president Derrick Hall saying that any increase in revenues, "Will go directly toward our (organization). It will help the franchise. It will help the product on the field."

Colorado. The Rockies are the poor men in the division, and that won't change any time soon. They have a ten-year, $200 million deal with ROOT Sports, but it doesn't expire for another six seasons, until the end of 2020. While there is some suggestion the team will get more money towards the back end of the contract, this may be more hope than anything, and it appears the franchise will remain relatively cash-strapped as they try to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009.

Fuck you Derrick Hall, you Gob Bluth look-alike, and fuck every franchise that claims it can't afford to be involved in free agent bidding.

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

Miles Mikolas gets paid too. 4 yr 68M extension.

If you would’ve told me this in 2014 when I watched this guy get shelled every start, I would’ve never believed you.

Seems like a risky contract for a guy who will be 31 when this contract starts with only 1 good season ever and who throws hard but doesn't strikeout a lot of guys. Based on how pitchers over 30 are being paid, I doubt he would get more after this season.

Interesting. 

The independent Atlantic League has long been an innovator, and they have long been happy to blaze a trail for Major League Baseball to follow.

Now, the two sides have formalized what was already happening informally, as the league and Major League Baseball announced a three-year agreement that will allow MLB to use the independent league as a testbed for rules and equipment changes.

And those rules changes will be significant. While no one with the Atlantic League would confirm the changes, it is expected that the rules tweaks will involve moving back the mound and using Trackman to call balls and strikes, both rules changes that have long been suggested, but are significant enough to require plenty of in-game testing.

And those are changes that would be nearly impossible to first implement in any level of affiliated minor league baseball or the developmental Arizona Fall League, as all 30 teams would likely be hesitant to let their prospects loose on a mound that isn’t 60-feet, 6-inches from home plate. But the Atlantic League, which is full of veteran pitchers, many of whom have MLB experience, will give MLB an opportunity to try out a rather significant change with high-caliber players.

Under the decision, beginning this season, the Atlantic League will adopt new rules at the request of MLB and then will offer feedback on the advantages and disadvantages of the new rules. MLB will also now serve as the official statistician for the Atlantic League and MLB will install Trackman radar devices at all eight Atlantic League stadiums so that all 30 MLB teams can receive in-depth data on each and every pitch and ball put in play at any Atlantic League game.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/atlantic-league-expected-to-add-robo-umps-other-changes-from-new-mlb-agreement/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/atlantic-league-expected-to-add-robo-umps-other-changes-from-new-mlb-agreement/

...it is expected that the rules tweaks will involve...using Trackman to call balls and strikes

I was alive and I waited, waited
I was alive and I waited for this

Right here, right now
there is no other place I want to be
Right here, right now
watching the world wake up from history

Edited by clapclapclap
Well, more like 3 years from now, but at least the umpiring Berlin Wall is coming down
  • Like 1

This seems rather unnecessary. 

The use of position players as pitchers would have rules attached to them, sources said. Players at the beginning of a season would be designated a pitcher or position player, except in cases where they are deemed a two-way player (with 20 major league innings pitched and 20 starts at a position, including designated hitter, with at least three plate appearances). Position players could pitch only after the ninth inning or following the sixth inning in which their team trails by at least seven runs.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26089271/mlb-prepared-ditch-clock-2022

How many times has a position player appeared before the 7th? I remember once only because I posted about it. Can’t be many more. 

I know 10 mil a year isn't much, but the Yankees are going to regret that Hicks extension bigly, and very soon. Cannon for an arm and a great defender, but I've never thought he was the real deal as a hitter. And I don't give a shit how high his WAR has been, he's going to be hitting .220 and batting 9th in the order by the end of May. Last year was an anomaly. 

The scuttlebutt out here is the reason the Dodgers headed to Vegas a couple of days ago was that they had gotten word that the Arrenado deal was in the works, and he as the guy they had the biggest hard on for and were ready to go big next year for him, despite having Turner.   With him off the table, Harper looked to be the only really significant guy out there in the next 1-2 yrs, and decided to revisit it.  But they are adamant about not going 10.  The rumor is they may have 4/$160 or 5/$200 on the table.  And his family is pushing for him to go to LA.  I still think he lands in Philly, but that's only if Boras forces them to moneywhip the shit out of him, which they may.

That Arenado deal is interesting.  Buncha opt outs

From Heyman:

Nolan Arenado: 26M 2019 (already in place). 35M 2020, 35M 2021. player options following 5 years; 35M 2022, 35M 2023 35M 2024, 32M 2025, 27M 2026. Full No Trade

Edit:  OK nevermind he deleted another tweet I read and has since clarified with this: So Arenado must exercise or decline all 5 player option years after 2021. from 2022 on he'll have 5 years and 164M to go. #rockies

Edited by Scraps

On the Dodgers short term offer to Harper:

Wouldn't it be a luxury tax disaster even in year one? But especially in the latter years, and this is a team trying to rein in financial troubles

Is there a recent MLB example of one the highest paid players on a good team being on a short term deal? I can't think of any

6 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Wouldn't it be a luxury tax disaster even in year one? But especially in the latter years, and this is a team trying to rein in financial troubles

Is there a recent MLB example of one the highest paid players on a good team being on a short term deal? I can't think of any

Cespedes but then he got Mets’d. The Dodgers have plenty of money they shouldn’t worry about luxury tax 

• Like 2

I'm thinking that if he gets $40 mil or more this year, Dodgers could also get hit with the penalty of 10 draft spots lower, and create a scenario where that would also happen in subsequent years, when they would also get dinged even more for repeat overages. Y'all are correct, it's certainly doable. I just think it would be a surprising change of direction from the rest of their offseason.

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

The Dodgers are getting $200M/year in local TV revenue.  They don't have any financial troubles, and the luxury tax is couch-cushion money to them.

• Like 1

Here's what I'm referring to via LA Times - might just be paying lip service but it was a stated goal by ownership

The Dodgers are determined to hold their payroll under $197-million this year and not only to avoid an escalating luxury tax. They are also seeking compliance with Major League Baseball’s debt service rule, according to a person familiar with the situation who spoke under the condition of anonymity.

Exceeding the $197-million luxury-tax threshold could result in failure to comply with the rule, which is designed to ensure teams generate enough revenue to cover designated percentages of their debt, with latitude given to clubs that have financed stadium construction or renovation projects in recent years.

The commissioner can take action against violators.

Individual franchises can decide whether they are willing to pay a luxury tax. That’s not the case with the debt service rule, which is at the discretion of the commissioner.

In other words, the Dodgers effectively have a $197-million salary cap this year.

Here's what I'm referring to via LA Times - might just be paying lip service but it was a stated goal by ownership

The Dodgers are determined to hold their payroll under $197-million this year and not only to avoid an escalating luxury tax. They are also seeking compliance with Major League Baseball’s debt service rule, according to a person familiar with the situation who spoke under the condition of anonymity.

Exceeding the $197-million luxury-tax threshold could result in failure to comply with the rule, which is designed to ensure teams generate enough revenue to cover designated percentages of their debt, with latitude given to clubs that have financed stadium construction or renovation projects in recent years.

The commissioner can take action against violators.

Individual franchises can decide whether they are willing to pay a luxury tax. That’s not the case with the debt service rule, which is at the discretion of the commissioner.

In other words, the Dodgers effectively have a $197-million salary cap this year.

hmm, i wonder when that was written? if publishers would date their articles maybe we could know.

29 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

hmm, i wonder when that was written? if publishers would date their articles maybe we could know.

Well, they do on their website.  They don't control whether surly posters include it when copy/pasting.  From the link:

By DYLAN HERNANDEZ
JAN 17, 2018