2018-2019 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

Was hoping the Phillies would ink Harper before Manny went, because with only one whale left, Boras can jack the price up and make them sweat. But I think Manny getting 300m helps scare off those mystery teams that were only hanging around looking for a bargain on either guy. The Nationals should jump back in but there hasn't been much buzz about them in a while.

10 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

So this acquisition makes the Cubbies the 3rd worst team in the NL after the Marlins and Giants?

IN the LA Times today, there was an article on how the Cubs looked to be poised to have a dynasty going, but it got derailed and may not get back on track for years.

17 minutes ago, Bartles said:

The Nationals should jump back in but there hasn't been much buzz about them in a while.

MLB trade rumors reported the Nats were out on Harper. Makes sense, after all the salary they took on and Soto’s emergence, don’t think they can field an offer. If he goes to Philly, that rivalry should pick up intensity...

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

IN the LA Times today, there was an article on how the Cubs looked to be poised to have a dynasty going, but it got derailed and may not get back on track for years.

They just haven't had much luck with their FA acquisitions and they haven't drafted/developed all that well since they started winning.  Not everyone can be the Astros and manufacture 50 FV pitchers at will.

53 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Aren’t you actually taxed where you play the games? 

Yes.  I remember when ARod played for the Rangers and they had the NL West that year in Interleague Play.  Rangers had so many games in CA that AROD paid over $1mm in CA taxes that year as a visiting player.  

26 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

enough tax talk.  When/where is Harper going to sign?  

I guess Philly is still the favorite? They sort of set an expectation that they would sign one of the two. 

I imagine Harper will sign soon now that Boras has a baseline to work from (more than $300 million). 

Have to think that, at this point, SD and LAD are out.

NYY always a possibility. I guess the Mets could be interested? 

Cubs could sure use Harper, but there doesn't seem to be anything there. 

SF is possible, but seems unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Yes.  I remember when ARod played for the Rangers and they had the NL West that year in Interleague Play.  Rangers had so many games in CA that AROD paid over $1mm in CA taxes that year as a visiting player.  

Yeah it's also why everyone hates to play for the Blue Jays. 

There is probably an obvious example that will get me negged, but when was the last $250-300M contract that was actually worth it? ARod for most of his contract? Mike Trout for however much he makes? It seems like 90% of the time these guys are average or worse after their mega Boras contracts. 

9 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

There is probably an obvious example that will get me negged, but when was the last $250-300M contract that was actually worth it? ARod for most of his contract? Mike Trout for however much he makes? It seems like 90% of the time these guys are average or worse after their mega Boras contracts. 

Cano will probably tail off but he’s done fine for the first half of the contract at least 

He’s only the third player to sign a contract for $250m or more. ARod’s first deal was worth it. His second one, not so much. TBD on Stanton’s but he’s off to a good start.

For other guys who signed for more than $200m:

Worth it:
Cano
Scherzer
Kershaw
Votto

Not worth it:
Pujols
Fielder
Cabrera

TBD:
Price
Greinke

So basically, don’t give $200m+ to a fat 30+ DH and it probably at least won’t be a total bust.

16 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

He’s only the third player to sign a contract for $250m or more. ARod’s first deal was worth it. His second one, not so much. TBD on Stanton’s but he’s off to a good start.

For other guys who signed for more than $200m:

Worth it:
Cano
Scherzer
Kershaw
Votto

Not worth it:
Pujols
Fielder
Cabrera

TBD:
Price
Greinke

So basically, don’t give $200m+ to a fat 30+ DH and it probably at least won’t be a total bust.

I guess I’m confusing with anyone making $20+ per season. I still hold bad feelings for Taco Caballo Carlos Lee. Carlos Beltran’s value seemed to drop quickly a few years into his mega contract with the Mets. 

Josh Hamilton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Matt Kemp, Fielder, Pujols, Heyward, Chris Davis. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

6 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I was guessing.  I looked it up.  It's about 97-98% depending on whether/how you count the state surcharge for mental health. 

This is a good problem to have though.   

If there's any MLBer who should pay a surcharge for mental health, it's Machado.

ha-ha!

If you want to know how confusing free agency can be, Williams said that as of Tuesday morning, the White Sox thought they had the highest offer on the table and, get this, expected to get a deal done with Machado by the end of the day.

Hahn said cynicism started to creep in for him around 2:00 a.m. as he struggled to put down his phone and fall asleep, even after a meeting with Machado’s representatives Monday attended by Jerry Reinsdorf saw the Sox improve their offer to $250 million plus incentives.

Major League Baseball is putting new rules in place this season to guard against high-tech sign stealing, a source told ESPN's Jeff Passan, confirming an SI.com report.

After several incidents of alleged stealing of catchers' signs last season, including during the postseason, commissioner Rob Manfred had promised to have new directives in place this year to curtail the practice.

MLB already had a rule in place that prohibited sign stealing from any place other than a runner on second base. That rule would now be updated to include measures that address the use of new technology to gain an advantage on opponents.

Among the new rules, according to the SI.com report, would be:

• A ban on in-house outfield cameras from foul pole to foul pole.
  • Live broadcasts limited to each team's designated replay official, who in turn will be monitored by a security expert.
  • Having all other TV monitors, such as those in the clubhouse and bullpens, on an eight-second delay.

Penalties for violation of the rules would include the forfeiting of draft picks and/or international spending money, according to the report.

Jesus fuck, that sounds like a cush job.