Caravan

gsoda3

Queens Immigration Attorney Found Guilty Of Operating Asylum Fraud Scheme

Andreea Dumitru Knowingly Made False Statements and Representations On More Than 100 Asylum Applications

Geoffrey S. Berman, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that ANDREEA DUMITRU, a/k/a “Andreea Dumitru Parcalaboiu,” an immigration attorney based in Queens, New York, was found guilty today in Manhattan federal court of asylum fraud, making false statements to immigration authorities, and aggravated identity theft following a two-week trial before United States District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan. 

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman said:  “Andreea Dumitru, an immigration attorney, scammed the asylum program, which was designed to provide safe harbor for the world’s most vulnerable people.  She will now serve time in prison for her crimes.”

According to the Superseding Indictment, other filings in Manhattan federal court, and the evidence presented at trial:

Between March 27, 2013, and 2017, DUMITRU operated a scheme to submit fraudulent I-589 Forms in connection with applications for asylum.  Specifically, DUMITRU submitted over 100 applications in which she knowingly made false statements and representations about, among other things, the applicants’ personal narratives of alleged persecution, criminal histories, and travel histories.  DUMITRU deliberately fabricated detailed personal stories of purported mistreatment of her clients, forged her clients’ signatures, and falsely notarized affidavits. 

DUMITRU, 43, of Queens, NY, was convicted of one count of asylum fraud, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, one count of making false statements, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison, and one count of aggravated identity theft, which carries a mandatory consecutive sentence of two years in prison.  The maximum potential sentences are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendant will be determined by the judge.

Mr. Berman praised the outstanding investigative work of Homeland Security Investigations and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and thanked the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the United States Department of Justice’s Executive Office for Immigration Review for their assistance.

This case is being prosecuted by the Office’s General Crimes Unit.  Assistant U.S. Attorneys Nicholas W. Chiuchiolo, Alison G. Moe, and Robert B. Sobelman are in charge of the prosecution. 

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/queens-immigration-attorney-found-guilty-operating-asylum-fraud-scheme

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Andreea Dumitru Knowingly Made False Statements and Representations On More Than 100 Asylum Applications

Geoffrey S. Berman, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that ANDREEA DUMITRU, a/k/a “Andreea Dumitru Parcalaboiu,” an immigration attorney based in Queens, New York, was found guilty today in Manhattan federal court of asylum fraud, making false statements to immigration authorities, and aggravated identity theft following a two-week trial before United States District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan. 

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman said:  “Andreea Dumitru, an immigration attorney, scammed the asylum program, which was designed to provide safe harbor for the world’s most vulnerable people.  She will now serve time in prison for her crimes.”

According to the Superseding Indictment, other filings in Manhattan federal court, and the evidence presented at trial:

Between March 27, 2013, and 2017, DUMITRU operated a scheme to submit fraudulent I-589 Forms in connection with applications for asylum.  Specifically, DUMITRU submitted over 100 applications in which she knowingly made false statements and representations about, among other things, the applicants’ personal narratives of alleged persecution, criminal histories, and travel histories.  DUMITRU deliberately fabricated detailed personal stories of purported mistreatment of her clients, forged her clients’ signatures, and falsely notarized affidavits. 

DUMITRU, 43, of Queens, NY, was convicted of one count of asylum fraud, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, one count of making false statements, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison, and one count of aggravated identity theft, which carries a mandatory consecutive sentence of two years in prison.  The maximum potential sentences are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendant will be determined by the judge.

Mr. Berman praised the outstanding investigative work of Homeland Security Investigations and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and thanked the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the United States Department of Justice’s Executive Office for Immigration Review for their assistance.

This case is being prosecuted by the Office’s General Crimes Unit.  Assistant U.S. Attorneys Nicholas W. Chiuchiolo, Alison G. Moe, and Robert B. Sobelman are in charge of the prosecution. 

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/queens-immigration-attorney-found-guilty-operating-asylum-fraud-scheme

No idea what this has to do with a caravan 1000 miles from the U.S.  But interesting.  She worked for an associate of Michael Cohen.

Edit to add: and was convicted of tax fraud in NYS previously in connection with her work for Cohen's associate.

Edited by lemonlime

21 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

lol If you think my “anger” at you is repressed, you’re not just dumb you also have abominable people skills.

And it’s not anger. It’s total disdain and annoyance with not a small amount of pity for any woman who has had the misfortune of being within your incel radius.

You know who else annoys me?

Racist nazis.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/19/mexico-protests-grow-in-tijuana-against-migrant-caravan

On Sunday, anti-caravan protesters chanted: “Out Hondurans, we don’t want you here”, “Tijuana first” and “Long live Mexico”, and waved Mexican flags and signs reading “no to the invasion” and “no more migrants”.

Bunch of fucking nazis in Mexico.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I didn’t realize nationalism and xenophobia was restricted to the United States.

Germany and France and England will be so relieved.

I've been hearing that if you don't want brown people in your country illigaly you're a racist, and them being nationalistic racist makes you a Nazi.

Edited by workswithseed
  • Like 1

I didn’t realize nationalism and xenophobia was restricted to the United States.

Germany and France and England will be so relieved.

I've been hearing that if you don't want brown people in your country illigaly you're a racist, and them being nationalistic racist makes you a Nazi.

So when your original argument that was essentially along the lines of “How can I be racism-ist????!! These god damnt Mexicans don’t even like these other god damnt look alike Mexicans!!!” is shown for the horseshit that it is, you decide to....

stroke out? Given your gibberish response, the alternative is that you lack a functioning brain.

I’m curious what point it is that you are attempting to make here. Unless I am wrong, there is one woman who was behind this fraud and those seeking asylum had no part in the fraud.

On top of that, and this isn’t even the point, but I feel like it should be pointed out to you...

the denial rate for asylum seekers is something like 75-85% in most cases, depending on country of origin. So this lady was running a scam over 4+ years involving 100 applications. Let’s assume 1/4 of those applications were accepted.

So.......7 people a year have “invaded” our border over the last 4 years because of this woman.

Congrats on that super awesome “Gotcha!” moment, I guess?

Well, to your first “point” the fact that you reduce illegal immigrants to just the brown ones is a little bit racist.

PS - you spelt illegally wrong. Like, can’t even blame it on auto correct wrong.

As to your second “point”, your subject and verb agreement is all fucked up, it’s not a complete sentence nor a complete thought, and you switch from third person to second person......so, what I’m saying is it’s not super clear what you’re getting at because it’s a garbled mess.

But, not all nationalists are racists. Not all racists are nationalists. Nazis are racist but not necessarily nationalist.

But going by the context clues you’ve given - poor spelling and grammar - I’ll give you a simple breakdown.

There a assholes in America. Some of those assholes are racists. Some of them are nationalists. Some of them are nazis. Some may be a combination of those things. Some Americans are being dicks about migrants seeking asylum through THE LEGAL PROCESS of our immigration laws. These assholes are not monolithic. Oops, sorry that’s a big word - it means all the same.

Now, you pointed out that there are apparently some assholes in Mexico exhibiting some behavior that indicates they may not want them in Mexico. And are voicing their wishes in a not very nice way. They may be racists or nationalists or nazis or just regular ole assholes. I doubt anyone has taken a survey.

Let me let you in on a secret - the fact that there are American assholes who are racists and nationalists and nazis doesn’t preclude Mexico from having racists and nationalists and nazis.

I hope that helps.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Horn21 said:

the denial rate for asylum seekers is something like 75-85% in most cases, depending on country of origin. So this lady was running a scam over 4+ years involving 100 applications. Let’s assume 1/4 of those applications were accepted

- so basically a colossal waste of money and resources when the overwhelming majority will need to be sent home.  In the meantime we foot the bill on all fronts.  This is also why the plan for most is to overwhelm the border, and our asylum process to avoid asylum denial. Clog the system. Never make your hearing date and disappear to a sanctuary state/city.  

- Now we have states gleefully allocating tax dollars to pay attorneys to represent illegal immigrants.  Good to know that citizens couldn’t possibly  need this money.  Schools must be fully funded, no homeless veterans etc etc

- this is one attorney a thousand miles from the Southern border. One they caught. The system is ripe for Abuse and it’s nearly impossible to police, and now it is tax payer subsidized.  Asylum claims are up 3000% over the last decade, and shockingly the all know the magic words, and how to stall the system to avoid deportation.  It’s good business for the attorneys, not some altruistic crusade. If so, why the need for tax payer money for private attorneys?

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

- so basically a colossal waste of money and resources when the overwhelming majority will need to be sent home.  In the meantime we foot the bill on all fronts.  This is also why the plan for most is to overwhelm the border, and our asylum process to avoid asylum denial. Clog the system. Never make your hearing date and disappear to a sanctuary state/city.  

- Now we have states gleefully allocating tax dollars to pay attorneys to represent illegal immigrants.  Good to know that citizens couldn’t possibly  need this money.  Schools must be fully funded, no homeless veterans etc etc

- this is one attorney a thousand miles from the Southern border. One they caught. The system is ripe for Abuse and it’s nearly impossible to police, and now it is tax payer subsidized.  Asylum claims are up 3000% over the last decade, and shockingly the all know the magic words, and how to stall the system to avoid deportation.  It’s good business for the attorneys, not some altruistic crusade. If so, why the need for tax payer money for private attorneys?

Yeah! Fuck due process! Look, like 90% of charged criminals are either convicted or plead guilty. In the meantime, we foot the bill for the courts, the judges, the staff, prosecutors, and public defenders. This is why the plan for most is to simply overwhelm our judicial system with crimes (1% of our population is behind bars). Clog the system. Make bail, and never show up for your trial and disappear. Obviously the solution is to just execute anyone charged with a crime! No money needed for courts, attorneys, or jails. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Well, to your first “point” the fact that you reduce illegal immigrants to just the brown ones is a little bit racist.

PS - you spelt illegally wrong. Like, can’t even blame it on auto correct wrong.

As to your second “point”, your subject and verb agreement is all fucked up, it’s not a complete sentence nor a complete thought, and you switch from third person to second person......so, what I’m saying is it’s not super clear what you’re getting at because it’s a garbled mess.

But, not all nationalists are racists. Not all racists are nationalists. Nazis are racist but not necessarily nationalist.

But going by the context clues you’ve given - poor spelling and grammar - I’ll give you a simple breakdown.

There a assholes in America. Some of those assholes are racists. Some of them are nationalists. Some of them are nazis. Some may be a combination of those things. Some Americans are being dicks about migrants seeking asylum through THE LEGAL PROCESS of our immigration laws. These assholes are not monolithic. Oops, sorry that’s a big word - it means all the same.

Now, you pointed out that there are apparently some assholes in Mexico exhibiting some behavior that indicates they may not want them in Mexico. And are voicing their wishes in a not very nice way. They may be racists or nationalists or nazis or just regular ole assholes. I doubt anyone has taken a survey.

Let me let you in on a secret - the fact that there are American assholes who are racists and nationalists and nazis doesn’t preclude Mexico from having racists and nationalists and nazis.

I hope that helps.

Eh, I fell asleep after that post. Thanks for the grammar corrections.

I don't think they're asshole for not wanting this caravan coming up here. Cause now the Mexicans who wanted to come up here illegally are afraid, and the people who want to stay are scared that they'll lose their jobs to these migrants. Its nice schadenfreude to see them scream about these people.

You're right though, if they come through the port, let them in as asylum seekers and either turn them away or not. 

8 hours ago, Horn21 said:

So when your original argument that was essentially along the lines of “How can I be racism-ist????!! These god damnt Mexicans don’t even like these other god damnt look alike Mexicans!!!” is shown for the horseshit that it is, you decide to....

stroke out? Given your gibberish response, the alternative is that you lack a functioning brain.

Yeah, no. In my gibberish what I was saying why are we called racist, but they aren't. Is it cause they're Mexican so they can't be racist for not wanting these people in their country.

All I've been seeing is how racist the people here for worrying about this caravan. You don't think people would get tired of being called racist when there is legitimate concern? Or how people say they can't wait for a group of people to die, which is usually old people. It gets tiring to see.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Yeah, no. In my gibberish what I was saying why are we called racist, but they aren't. Is it cause they're Mexican so they can't be racist for not wanting these people in their country.

All I've been seeing is how racist the people here for worrying about this caravan. You don't think people would get tired of being called racist when there is legitimate concern? Or how people say they can't wait for a group of people to die, which is usually old people. It gets tiring to see.

It does get tiring to see.  Thing is, our president and his supporters are the reason for the racism charge.  And rightfully so.   Lest you forget:

Trump said, "Haiti? Why do we want people from Haiti here?" Then they got Africa. 'Why do we want these people from all these shithole countries here? We should have more people from places like Norway."

THE PRESIDENT: We have people coming into the country, or trying to come in — and we’re stopping a lot of them — but we’re taking people out of the country. You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are. These aren’t people. These are animals. And we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before. And because of the weak laws, they come in fast, we get them, we release them, we get them again, we bring them out. It’s crazy.

In his own words.  So stop trying to equivocate the leader of the free world and his supporters with some angry Mexicans. 

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It does get tiring to see.  Thing is, our president and his supporters are the reason for the racism charge.  And rightfully so.   Lest you forget:

In his own words.  So stop trying to equivocate the leader of the free world and his supporters with some angry Mexicans. 

Why not? We already know that Swedish women are hot, he should add Brazilian women as well. 

You're right though, he says some fucking stupid things, and you won't catch me supporting the shit from his shithole mouth. I can't support his first quote. It doesn't mean that people that they capture and take back to their country to just come back here again is in the right either. 

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Why not? We already know that Swedish women are hot, he should add Brazilian women as well. 

You're right though, he says some fucking stupid things, and you won't catch me supporting the shit from his shithole mouth. I can't support his first quote. It doesn't mean that people that they capture and take back to their country to just come back here again is in the right either. 

I don’t disagree that it’s not right, thing is, he’s not interested in fixing it with a reasonable solution.  He just uses it to bring out the worst in his base.

• Like 1

Well, it’s hard to take the whole “I’m not against legal immigration only illegal immigration! So it’s not based on race!” thing seriously when you only keep referring to the “brown ones” and the caravan folks are NOT DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL.

The caravan is a yearly demonstration of migrants who come in numbers from South and Central America to seek asylum in the United States. There’s nothing illegal about what they’re doing or how they plan to enter our country.

Trump is just fear mongering with rhetoric about hordes of brown people and the idea that all of them coming at once will somehow overwhelm our resources at the border and they’ll swarm in and make a break for it once they are here.

And again, Trump used to use the same “I’m only against illegal immigration!” excuse too. But now he’s trying to end birthright citizenship by EO and deport otherwise legal residents of this country because of their ethnicity and all but shut down all immigration.

So, excuse me if I don’t buy that legal/illegal excuse anymore.

It’s become a distinction without a difference for many on the right.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah! Fuck due process! Look, like 90% of charged criminals are either convicted or plead guilty. In the meantime, we foot the bill for the courts, the judges, the staff, prosecutors, and public defenders. This is why the plan for most is to simply overwhelm our judicial system with crimes (1% of our population is behind bars). Clog the system. Make bail, and never show up for your trial and disappear. Obviously the solution is to just execute anyone charged with a crime! No money needed for courts, attorneys, or jails. 

I refuse to quote Chicken on this.  But just want to point out that attorney Chicken points to, is a Romanian immigrant who worked for an associate of Michael Cohen.  There is zero reason to believe that the false asylum applications she filed had anything whatsoever to do with people coming in through the southern border, as opposed to visa overstays from eastern Europe.  Also, she is a bad actor that a simple google search will show was also convicted of tax fraud involving a taxi medallion scheme in New York in which she served as CFO for Evgeny Friedman, an associate of Michael Cohen's.  https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Taxi-King-associate-pleads-guilty-to-tax-fraud-12957002.php  Chicken's press release has far, far more to do with the corruption of people associated with the Trump Organization than it does with the caravan.  In fact the caravan story is about people walking hundreds of miles to seek asylum.  The attorney story has to do with a known bad actor with ties to Michael Cohen committing fraud.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2018 at 7:36 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

They probably do it every year because they get away with it and nobody makes a big deal of it because there are bigger fish to fry.

Maybe next year they will think twice and will head down to Brazil or something instead, because enough is enough.

Get away with what?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Americans bro. You so woke

Gotta love twitter. What was missing from that tweet is that the tear gas was fired AFTER 500 of the migrants tried to storm the US border and cross illegally.

Migrant caravan: Mexico to deport group which stormed US border - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46339085

Whether you agree with the process for asylum or not, there is a legal process you have to go through. These people who tried to storm the border just did more harm than good and will now be deported by Mexico.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Gotta love twitter. What was missing from that tweet is that the tear gas was fired AFTER 500 of the migrants tried to storm the US border and cross illegally.

Migrant caravan: Mexico to deport group which stormed US border - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46339085

Whether you agree with the process for asylum or not, there is a legal process you have to go through. These people who tried to storm the border just did more harm than good and will now be deported by Mexico.

There’s nothing inaccurate about the tweet.  

Spin it however you want and LMAO at our “legal process” of having your kids kidnapped by our government when you’re applying for asylum and/or getting deported.

If you can’t see that this is a problem we intentionally created, I don’t know what to tell you.

There’s a perfectly civil and humane way to treat people and we’re choosing not to do it. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Shocked that someone would intentionally incorrectly portray what’s really happening there...

• Like 1

Spin it however you want and LMAO at our “legal process” of having your kids kidnapped by our government when you’re applying for asylum and/or getting deported.
If you can’t see that this is a problem we intentionally created, I don’t know what to tell you.
There’s a perfectly civil and humane way to treat people and we’re choosing not to do it. 

The tweet specifically did not talk about them rushing the border, so it omitted a pretty fucking important piece of the story. You are being deliberately obtuse on that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is an NBC reporter 

Closed because of a bum rush of immigrants. That mother and child pic is always nice for the PR angle, but reality is different in the actual situation that occurred. I doubt she was in the group rushing the crossing station.  

The reports are most definitley misleading.  A responsible journalist would report the reason why she wasn't able to cross and the reasons leading to the closing of the station.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You know, you can think taking people's children from them is despicable, AND not find anything wrong with firing tear gas at a large mob literally trying to bust through the border.  

• Like 3