Official Surly - Texas vs West Virginia Game Thread

Vertigo

3 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Are we blaminng the refs for our poor defense against the run?

Let's not

I'd be fine if they justdidn't call anything on either team.  what the fuck on the defensive holding on a run play again on a 3rd down where we had them stopped?  we keep getting calls in critical situations on 3rd downs. they keep inserting themselves into the game needlessly.  also we keep getting screwed by the booth NOT reviewing our plays.  spots were completely shit on key plays yet no review until it helped WVU.

yes we are unbelievably bad against the run.

5 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

I have no facts other than I don’t see the team quitting. They just seem to fight every game (except Okie state and Maryland).... ok.... now I’m back in the dumps. I just never expected to win much this year much less beat OU. Maybe my expectations are too low after all the beatings. :)

Your right. The team plays hard. It the defensive assignments that are screwed up. How do you let a receiver run wide open in the middle of the field in a tight game? Crap like that has cost us big time. The guys weren’t ready for Maryland and were not ready for OSU and WVU. And Herman’s decisions are questionable as well. “Being young” isn’t an excuse. Hell, we’ve been “young” since 2010. Screw that noise. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

How much did you drink to think the D was in any good position at all?

I was working on my second beer, lol.

Look, I just thought we could make that stop.

We have a shot at 10 wins ... or 4 more losses.

For today, put me in the 10 wins column.

Just me.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Sterns fucked up two huge plays.  Hasn’t learned a damn thing

the crazy thing about his regression is that the coaches say he's a workaholic and extremely extremely hard on himself. orlando said he had to tell him to chill out with the film study and relax a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Ole Miss loses, then Texas. Aggy losing is the only thing that made me smile.
I’m the only one awake at the hunting lodge in Winnie. I will take my anger out on water fowl. Many ducks will die tomorrow/today.

You know what, I’ve never been big on hunting, but if I can put together a list of over populated and/or vicious animals...  killing shit on Sundays after a Texas loss sounds like a pretty satisfying hobby 

6 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Ole Miss loses, then Texas. Aggy losing is the only thing that made me smile.
I’m the only one awake at the hunting lodge in Winnie. I will take my anger out on water fowl. Many ducks will die tomorrow/today.

Can I direct a few not-too-well liked family members up your way today?

Final Score:

L 41-42

First Downs:
Texas – 28
WVU – 28

Third Down Conversions
Texas – 6-11
WVU – 7-12

Total Yards:
Texas - 520
WVU - 578

Passing:
Texas – 25-36, 354 yds, 3TD
WVU - 28-42, 346 yards, 3TD

Rushing:
Texas - 39-166, 4.3 ypc, 2TD
WVU - 33-232, 7.0 ypc, 2TD

Texas – 34:00
WVU – 26:00

Turnovers:
Texas - 1
WVU - 0

Penalties:
Texas – 7-64
WVU – 14-120

This was a close game all around, and we had a chance to win. It feels like 2009 Lubbock to me. They kept it close and got the ball last with too much time and just did their thing. Them's the breaks.
It was one of our best games concerning penalties, but allowing 7 yards per carry and giving up 232 yards on the ground.....fuck.

last year Grier tried for the corner and was stopped by Brandon Jones, even broke Grier's hand. 

this year Grier got the corner as Brandon Jones was out injured.

what if Jones was there? could have stopped Grier on the corner. 

how the worm turns! 

Edited by NowThis
  • Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, NowThis said:

last year Grier tried for the corner and was stopped by Brandon Jones, even broke Grier's hand. 

this year Grier got the corner as Brandon Jones was out injured.

what if Jones was there? could have stopped Grier on the corner. 

how the worm turns! 

Had whomever was playing that gap not run himself out of position Grier is stopped. One last undisciplined play in a day full of them.