Trump vs Beto

Nice Guy Eddie

Other than random Representative announcing a while back, O/U on first official announcement from big time candidate (Beto, Harris, Booker, Warren, THE FIELD)?

I say 1/15/2019.

Edited by Js1

I could see Beto being the Democratic nominee if not at least the VP.  Bernie is too old and would be dumb to trot him out again.  Same age argument with Biden.  Kamala Harris doesn't do much for me...yes she is very vocal but don't think she's cut for the job.  I wonder if Newsom out of California starts to get some push to jump in the ring.  He and Beto could make a formidable pair.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd say Beto is currently right at the top of the list among national Dems.  Whether that holds or not remains to be seen, but he's the darling at this point.

Agreed. I think Beto is the most natural and charismatic politician of all those Hugo mentioned other than Biden and Biden has the age thing. 

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd say Beto is currently right at the top of the list among national Dems.  Whether that holds or not remains to be seen, but he's the darling at this point.

Gillum is too.  

As crazy as it sounds a Beto/Gillum ticket might be the best ticket for the democrats.

They’re both super stars now with a message and platform diametrically opposite to Trump.

They generate the kind of positive energy required and have the ability to motivate the right parts of the electorate (young, Latino, women, black).

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Gillum is too.  

As crazy as it sounds a Beto/Gillum ticket might be the best ticket for the democrats.

They’re both super stars now with a message and platform diametrically opposite to Trump.

They generate the kind of positive energy required and have the ability to motivate the right parts of the electorate (young, Latino, women, black).

Beto as the nice guy and Gillum as the attack dog would be a pretty good pair. 

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Biden/Beto

if democrats were smart, they'd go with this. would easily allow them to capture swing states and would set themselves up for a solid dem for the subsequent election.

but they're not, so it'll probably be harris/warren, sanders/booker, or some stupid shit

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Gillum is too.  

Seems like the Ds have to cultivate their young superstars. imo, running Biden or Hillary would be a mistake.

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Klobuchar/Beto

I like her, but I can't see her being the alpha candidate that would generate a W. I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it's risky to go too far away from the populist.  Klobuchar comes across to me as an academic elite, and that doesn't play very well in the sticks.

They aren't winning the sticks regardless.  Dems are winning with people in cities, those who are educated, women, and minorities.   They need to focus on inspiring the base to vote, not on what might play well in, say, the rural parts of Florida.  

Klobuchar/Beto might be to nice of a ticket.  But the dems need to pick people who are younger and inspiring, and not worry about what the GOP will demonize them with because they will demonize whoever is picked as an "academic elite," libtard, coastal elite, etc.

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Gillum is too.  

They’re both superstars that had huge amounts of funding and lost to extremely unlikeable candidates. You’re right though, they’ll carry the fuck out of NY, CA, IL. 

9 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Beto would not even carry Texas if running against Trump

No. Not today.  But Trump will have plenty of opportunity to taint himself in Texas by 2020, or not.

R's pretty much have rural Texas locked up.  Even more amazing than the sea of red outside of the metro areas and valley is the numbers that came in, in general, from those counties.

60, 70, 80, 90 %  for Cruz. Not a lot of votes individually, but they add up to more than the margin of victory.  Definitely a firewall.

If Beto had shown he could carry Texas as a Democrat he'd be a lock - that's game, set, and match. But that didn't happen, even against a loathsome toad, so I don't know what he brings to the table in terms of a national ticket; not sure he has the experience to make the sale.

1 minute ago, Bat Guano said:

If Beto had shown he could carry Texas as a Democrat he'd be a lock - that's game, set, and match. But that didn't happen, even against a loathsome toad, so I don't know what he brings to the table in terms of a national ticket; not sure he has the experience to make the sale.

extremely popular, would be a great campaign asset, where he might not have the experience for president (by previous norms) that's less true for VP.

Just now, Bat Guano said:

I don't know what he brings to the table in terms of a national ticket;

He has "IT" which can't be quantified.  Call it an inspiring personality or youthful charisma. Ambitions politicians would kill for "IT".

Obama had "IT"

Bill Clinton had "IT"

Hillary DID NOT HAVE "IT"

• Like 3

The Democratic primary will be interesting. O'Rourke definitely is the most likable and least kooky of the potential nominees. Plus, being from a big, red state would be an asset. It largely depends on how far Left the primaries will be -> O'Rourke is everything ostensibly the Left hates, so curious if the far Left would get on board.