JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/8/2021 at 10:01 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

image.jpeg.d417ffcdf26a6b9f8a4e61ffc92f2708.jpeg
or even the “actually look like a duck” version:

This is their best uniform ever and it's not close. They have been doing the Nike iterations and change them constantly to please recruits and get some buzz going nationally (since they have no recruiting base), but the retro-80s/90s look is by far their best, IMHO.

Edited by Tomatillo

7 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

This is their best uniform ever and it's not close. They have been doing the Nike iterations and change them constantly to please recruits and get some buzz going nationally (since they have no recruiting base), but the retro-80s/90s look is by far their best, IMHO.

I agree, but I will say the Rose Bowl where their helmets reflected the stadium and sky was a really memorable effect.

university-oregon-ducks-rose-bowl-00.jpg

T7ymRfUu1MlhFdsIUFfNnYrS5105ZyZzNVeA9ktw

ENPRj48W4AYMv6G.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, texifornia said:

I mean... that's what a black and gold football uniform set is going to look like without jazzing it up a lot.

They've had some interesting uniforms in the past, but not always good ones. I do like the two tone shoulder stripes:

80bd55a9-23e0-4bc1-a8a4-c8021ad29040-hef

sddefault.jpg

2136706-L.jpg

Always liked it when Vandy went with V in Star pattern on their lids.  

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Look at the adidas logo. I can never tell. 

8 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Maybe NU and aggy are fakes, but if not, would anyone really be surprised?

I'm actually surprised adidas did not conjure up those abominations.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:56 PM, texifornia said:

I mean... that's what a black and gold football uniform set is going to look like without jazzing it up a lot.

They've had some interesting uniforms in the past, but not always good ones. I do like the two tone shoulder stripes:

80bd55a9-23e0-4bc1-a8a4-c8021ad29040-hef

sddefault.jpg

These are fantastic. I definitely bought a Vandy t-shirt with the V inside the star last time I was in Nash (this past spring). I just wish they still sold apparel with the yellowish color as opposed to the boring gold everyone using now! 

13 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

It's wild that while their soccer jerseys have flipped from clean and classic to over-designed, over-patterned "cool" shit, their cfb jerseys are going back to basics. It's like they just switched their American and European design studios.

Edited by texifornia

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's wild that while their soccer jerseys have flipped from clean and classic to over-designed, over-patterned "cool" shit, their cfb jerseys are going back to basics. It's like they just switched their American and European design studios.

I don't follow soccer design trends closely, but maybe CFB alumni and fans value the nostalgia of their classic uniforms more? Seems to me the EPL teams change their designs every year bc they'll sell more replicas annually. Maybe Nike discovered CFB fans purchased more throwbacks than the new gear?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DFW Horn said:

I don't follow soccer design trends closely, but maybe CFB alumni and fans value the nostalgia of their classic uniforms more? Seems to me the EPL teams change their designs every year bc they'll sell more replicas annually. Maybe Nike discovered CFB fans purchased more throwbacks than the new gear?

The big soccer leagues have always gone pretty wild with the away and 3rd kits for exactly that reason, but it feels like the home kits for Nike teams like Chelsea, Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid and Barca, which are usually very light variations on a classic look, are all unusually out there this year.

On 8/10/2021 at 11:12 PM, Tomatillo said:

100%

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I have a million soccer jerseys, but hate how the club teams have sponsors on the front. Some are okay, others ruin the entire jersey. Like Man U with the Chevy logo. That was the most atrocious look I've seen any major team have in any sport. Just obnoxious. 

American sports teams are trending in that direction with the NBA selling out. But I guess they have to in order to pay mediocre players $20 mill+ per year.

Edited by Tomatillo

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

On 8/11/2021 at 10:16 PM, markstanco said:

As one In my upper 40s, Oregon can pull off shitastic uniforms. Chrome, highway hi-viz yellow, etc. And that is the only school. When tech and Maryland and nc state try to match it they fail miserably.

With all of the crazy ass unis Tech has trotted out there, the best ones  and it's not remotely close; have been the throwbacks.  Simple, clean, and badass.

No Rorschach blobs. No red, white and blue shit.  No bowling ball helmets. No koolaid man all red from head to toe.

The tribute to the 70's

1506832445-Oklahoma-St-Texas-Tech-Footba

The 'Zach Thomas throwbacks'

GettyImages-455398166.jpg?w=3000&q=75

8 hours ago, slorch said:

With all of the crazy ass unis Tech has trotted out there, the best ones  and it's not remotely close; have been the throwbacks.  Simple, clean, and badass.

No Rorschach blobs. No red, white and blue shit.  No bowling ball helmets. No koolaid man all red from head to toe.

The tribute to the 70's

Love the Zach Thomas throwbacks and the Jim Carlen duds. Either of those could/should be solid primary options for Tech, I might take off the Carlen era stars so it doesn’t look dated. But my favorite look for Tech is the late 1990s.  Red Raiders should have red jerseys and make the Zach Thomas look your third option. And get rid of the beveled double T. 

image.jpeg.2178fe6ac281226f916cdbcb4f911437.jpeg

image.jpeg.75dfec51b7efdb940282beb1742265f1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

The tribute to the 70's

Those black ones make Tech look all-business and intimidating, and hoo boy it's been a long time since Tech could say that about their football program.

The tribute to the 70's

Those Red uniforms are the best imo. Classic, clean and recognizable. 

9 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

I have a million soccer jerseys, but hate how the club teams have sponsors on the front. Some are okay, others ruin the entire jersey. Like Man U with the Chevy logo. That was the most atrocious look I've seen any major team have in any sport. Just obnoxious. 

American sports teams are trending in that direction with the NBA selling out. But I guess they have to in order to pay mediocre players $20 mill+ per year.

The thought of paying $100+ for a replica jersey to help advertise a car, beer, or erectile dysfunction pharmaceutical has no appeal to me. I hate that NBA players have become walking billboards, too. I won't buy one.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

...Red Raiders should have red jerseys and make the Zach Thomas look your third option. And get rid of the beveled double T. 

Tech's beveled logo is one of the few that actually looks good and more "modern", but yeah. It's not a big upgrade from the traditional Double T's.

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2F1000logos.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F02%2FTexas-Tech-Red-Raiders-Logo-history.jpg&sp=1628864307T2a0cb29a3e3745d42375044140fd7d0738474fdf27fe5ec8df4e560cf4c0a296

16 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Valparaiso, which you hear more about in basketball, ditched their Crusader mascot and adopted “Beacons.” New logo below. They have ugly brown and yellow, not Wyoming cool brown and yellow.

image.png.59071af0f13dcea86aa13b314a7c4606.png

Political correctness aside, these teams have got to stop picking weird meaningless "mascots" that are more a general concept than a thing a kid can identify and draw.

30 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Love the Zach Thomas throwbacks and the Jim Carlen duds. Either of those could/should be solid primary options for Tech, I might take off the Carlen era stars so it doesn’t look dated. But my favorite look for Tech is the late 1990s.  Red Raiders should have red jerseys and make the Zach Thomas look your third option. And get rid of the beveled double T. 

image.jpeg.2178fe6ac281226f916cdbcb4f911437.jpeg

image.jpeg.75dfec51b7efdb940282beb1742265f1.jpeg

The black-red-black is my alltime favorite.  Seems like they wear it once a season these days.   All-blacks for night games is cool too.

9 hours ago, slorch said:

The tribute to the 70's

Yup, these are the two  best Tech unis IMO. They should pick one and roll with it all the time. 

Although I do actually love the first one with black helmets like they used to wear (I think late-70s/early-80s):

SWCfootballNow on Twitter: "Look at the different stripes on the two Tech  players' pants - the days of whatever is in the equipment room works! 1979  Arkansas vs Texas Tech from 1980

Modernized:

There was some major Cam Cameron-era uniform energy at Texas Tech this  weekend - The Crimson Quarry

Also, those road unis with the red pants/white jersey/black helmet was great. Couldn't find a good photo.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 10:49 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

Yup, these are the two  best Tech unis IMO. They should pick one and roll with it all the time. 

Although I do actually love the first one with black helmets like they used to wear (I think late-70s/early-80s):

SWCfootballNow on Twitter: "Look at the different stripes on the two Tech  players' pants - the days of whatever is in the equipment room works! 1979  Arkansas vs Texas Tech from 1980

Modernized:

There was some major Cam Cameron-era uniform energy at Texas Tech this  weekend - The Crimson Quarry

Also, those road unis with the red pants/white jersey/black helmet was great. Couldn't find a good photo.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:51 AM, slorch said:

Pos rep for Senor Sack

Fuck yeah...when does football start?

I remember being so excited when the Steelers drafted Rivera.

He was going to be the cornerstone of the rebuild, as Joe Greene was. Terrible tragedy.