Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

These CFL uniforms are better than any of the new Nike clown suits. Who's their manufacturer? I like the Hamilton and Calgary looks.

No idea, but I'm a fan.  The Winnipeg look is probably my favorite, but I like all the ones I posted.

Ah yes, the old “how dare an indigenous group ask that they not be used as a mascot” snowflake alert. Let me guess, your friend’s great-grandma was an Indian princess and he isn’t offended, therefore the multitudes of tribal and First Nation governments who have asked to not be used as mascots should just shut up already.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4

Ah yes, the old “how dare an indigenous group ask that they not be used as a mascot” snowflake alert. Let me guess, your friend’s great-grandma was an Indian princess and he isn’t offended, therefore the multitudes of tribal and First Nation governments who have asked to not be used as mascots should just shut up already.

How do the Eskimo’s feel about Joe’s?
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

How do the Eskimo’s feel about Joe’s?

They were asked a few years ago to change it, Stan Clark “polled the public” which went about as one would expect around here. I’m not a fan in light of it, rarely go there anyway, it’s a fun touristy place but I’ve always preferred other dives going back to my own college days. It is known that the food has always been mediocre outside the cheese fries. And as of my last visit, the beer list still sucks.

Edited by 'stache

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If it wasn't for the home jerseys these would be really nice. 

Why tf did they find the need to put "ARIZONA" on just the home jersey? Why doesn't the home jersey shoulders match the away and alternate?  Why do the away pants have stripes down the side while the home and alternate appear to not have them? 

Remove the "ARIZONA" and make the shoulders on the home match the two others while removing the stripes of the white pants and they look pretty good.

True....the Home is so bad, I failed to notice that the all whites with white helment are (duh!) clean and actually look good.  The all black looks all too familiar and stupid.  

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Funny how a percentage of merchandise sales and/or other compensation made a few indigenous people, including the Seminole Nation, forget they were offended.

Just sayin'

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Funny how a percentage of merchandise sales and/or other compensation made a few indigenous people, including the Seminole Nation, forget they were offended.

Just sayin'

They also worked really closely with the Seminole to align a bunch of the traditions/logos/uniforms to better represent the tribe vs just being a caricature.

Meanwhile, "Eskimo" isn't even what the Inuit or Yupik call themselves, it was an insult other tribes used against them that the French misunderstood to be their actual name. It's pretty close to "Redskins" in being a flat-out slur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Back on topic, I wish the monochrome fad would just die already. Color contrast makes for better visual presentation.  All white is about the only version that is acceptable but is still not great, in my opinion (neg away surlyhorns).

Jane, you ignorant slut!

You should have said, "All white is about the only version that is acceptable but is still not great, save and except for the Longhorns Storm Troopers all white look which is iconic."

image.thumb.png.c3232e1e6ad9af76de6fc5ad1ba630dc.png

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They also worked really closely with the Seminole to align a bunch of the traditions/logos/uniforms to better represent the tribe vs just being a caricature.

Meanwhile, "Eskimo" isn't even what the Inuit or Yupik call themselves, it was an insult other tribes used against them that the French misunderstood to be their actual name. It's pretty close to "Redskins" in being a flat-out slur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

So much this. Heaven forbid one employ even an ounce of critical thinking to distinguish between the Seminole situation and the Eskimo/Redskins/Savages problem.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, LTbear said:

Uhhh, pretty sure "elk" is the plural of elk (as in a herd of elk) and "elks" would refer to something along the lines of "multiple types of elk." 

image.png.f7461dad924d0c35ffe77ec2c25856eb.png

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

...it’s a fun touristy place but I’ve always preferred other dives going back to my own college days. It is known that the food has always been mediocre outside the cheese fries. And as of my last visit, the beer list still sucks.

One and only experience they wouldn't let my dog sit on the patio with me, or I couldn't sit on the patio with my dog. I don't remember which. So we bailed.

9 hours ago, 'stache said:

So much this. Heaven forbid one employ even an ounce of critical thinking to distinguish between the Seminole situation and the Eskimo/Redskins/Savages problem.

I can see you're ignorant of where the name "Redskins" actually came from. Do some research while you're thinking critically. Agree that "savages" isn't nice, but that doesn't necessarily refer to Indians/Native Americans.

• Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I can see you're ignorant of where the name "Redskins" actually came from. Do some research while you're thinking critically. Agree that "savages" isn't nice, but that doesn't necessarily refer to Indians/Native Americans.

Son, just stop. Most on here probably know where the term originated, but that less-than-sinister origin doesn't negate the fact that it became a well-known and oft-used pejorative as far back as the 19th century. You said some stupid shit, just own up to it and move on. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

Son, just stop. Most on here probably know where the term originated, but that less-than-sinister origin doesn't negate the fact that it became a well-known and oft-used pejorative as far back as the 19th century. You said some stupid shit, just own up to it and move on. 

I'm not that young, Professor. Agree to disagree

18 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Well, look at the big brain on Brad. Saw an NPR article from five years ago. Hey, didja also know that the swastika was around long before the Nazis? I guess the next MLB expansion franchise should be the Sacramento Swastikas, what the problem is?

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Well, look at the big brain on Brad. Saw an NPR article from five years ago. Hey, didja also know that the swastika was around long before the Nazis? I guess the next MLB expansion franchise should be the Sacramento Swastikas, what the problem is?

I assume that's why you're here.

More intelligent dialogue than you get on the okie aggie board?

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Just make these permanent

Definitely cool throwbacks, but wouldn't want to see them permanent. Is there a story about the design that seems to have been part of different programs, including Ohio State as shown above?

49 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Definitely cool throwbacks, but wouldn't want to see them permanent. Is there a story about the design that seems to have been part of different programs, including Ohio State as shown above?

Variations on that funky stripe pattern were the norm in cfb for a while (as modeled by my alma mater below). Soccer of course still has plenty of teams that wear stripes and hoops.

MGFNWHDEPDTBXUD.20081224192051.jpg

A few years back we’re in Japan and have a weekend off so some of us were taking a little walking tour. It’s a Cali company. We come upon a big Buddhist temple about 1000 years old. It’s got swastikas carved in the facade. Some in the group were quasiBuddhists. “I didn’t know Buddhists were Nazis! I can’t be a Buddhist now!” This was before internet and smart phones so they didn’t believe me when I kept telling them it’s an ancient symbol of good luck. “You must be a Nazi too” one of them said. They fretted the whole trip.
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Okie State said:
11 hours ago, DFW Horn said:
And yet you're still here.
Irony

Yeah, I'm here for the intelligent dialogue. Nailed it. Dumbass.

You still haven't answered why you're here.

I imagine it's because the dialogue is even less inspiring on the okie aggie site. We're sure gonna miss y'all this coming football season and for the foreseeable future.

On 4/22/2023 at 9:46 PM, 'stache said:

It was a common piece of uniforms of it's day.

ISU has been working it in pretty regularly as a secondary logo in recent years.

DSC_1585+copy.jpg

This is part of the most recent football facility

TS2CU534FNCGRNC75BBUMLZH3Q.jpg

Uniform patch

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It was a common piece of uniforms of it's day.

ISU has been working it in pretty regularly as a secondary logo in recent years.

DSC_1585+copy.jpg

This is part of the most recent football facility

TS2CU534FNCGRNC75BBUMLZH3Q.jpg

Uniform patch

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's stupid

It's to memorialize Jack Trice, not just "we used to wear stripes"

https://uni-watch.com/2020/09/02/cyclones-combine-history-aesthetics-in-new-trice-patch/

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's to memorialize Jack Trice, not just "we used to wear stripes"

https://uni-watch.com/2020/09/02/cyclones-combine-history-aesthetics-in-new-trice-patch/

It looks like shit and they're putting it on buildings, that's stupid. Imagine putting KD's dog shit logo on the outside of our practice facility for basketball.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

That's stupid

The vast majority of Iowa State alumni, players, and fans love it. It’s about the nod to Trice and his legacy, which means the world to us.

I think hand signals and singing “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad” after games is silly but it means something different (and important) to y’all so you know - do you and we’ll do us.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It looks like shit and they're putting it on buildings, that's stupid. Imagine putting KD's dog shit logo on the outside of our practice facility for basketball.

KD's private label brand and honoring Jack Trice are pretty darn different things

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 4/23/2023 at 8:15 AM, Texzilla58 said:

A few years back we’re in Japan and have a weekend off so some of us were taking a little walking tour. It’s a Cali company. We come upon a big Buddhist temple about 1000 years old. It’s got swastikas carved in the facade. Some in the group were quasiBuddhists. “I didn’t know Buddhists were Nazis! I can’t be a Buddhist now!” This was before internet and smart phones so they didn’t believe me when I kept telling them it’s an ancient symbol of good luck. “You must be a Nazi too” one of them said. They fretted the whole trip.

hanging Symbols and the Swastika

Native_American_basketball_team_crop.jpg Chilocco Indian Agricultural School basketball team 1908-09

Symbols serve as a significant way to express identity within society. Crosses generally identify someone as a Christian, a hammer and sickle as a communist, and black and white houndstooth as a University of Alabama fan. Of course, that simple equation provides an arena for significant competition about exactly which symbol represents which ideas. The apparent incongruency of Native Americans wearing swastikas on their basketball uniforms (Chilocco Indian Agricultural School in Oklahoma, 1908) derives from the assumption that symbols have a defined meaning. As with identity labels generally, the meanings of symbols like the swastika shift over time, and seldom does a symbol have only one meaning.

The swastika is one symbol whose meaning is particularly contested today. In Europe and the United States, the swastika has become intimately tied to Nazi ideology since the Nazi party adopted it in 1920. Its use predates that adoption by millennia, found in artifacts from in North America, the Iranian plateau, South Asia, and various other locations. The meanings and explanations for these various appearances of the symbol are uncertain, but are generally assumed to be auspicious. (A 1933 pamphlet provides an interesting account of its presumed prehistorical meanings.) In regions such as South and East Asia (and among those who identify with those areas), the symbol is frequently used today not to convey a Nazi identity but as an auspicious symbol. While the Nazi swastika typically is right-facing, people in various parts of Asia display swastikas turned in either direction, often depending on the aesthetics of its creator and the context of its application.

With globalization, the swastika has become a point of contention. People in Europe and the Americas who use the symbol feel compelled to explain their use of the swastika to distance themselves from Nazi ideology. The standard line is that the swastika is an ancient, auspicious symbol that Hitler misused. When some in the EU proposed banning the swastika, groups of immigrants primarily from India campaigned against the ban. Ramesh Kallidia of the Hindu Forum of Britain reportedly asserted, “The swastika has been around for 5,000 years as a symbol of peace. This is exactly the opposite of how it was used by Hitler.”

While the swastika has apparently been used for millennia, though not always labeled with that Sanskrit-derived name, the narrative of pure origins and corruption homogenizes a complex symbol, assuming a singular, true meaning. Having no intrinsic content, the meanings of symbols, like identity labels, are constructed socially. Reading a meaning back into history or across communities misses that lack of inherent content. Therefore, both those who assume that any use of the swastika reflects Nazi ideology and those who assert that Hitler corrupted a positive ancient symbol construct a consistent meaning for the symbol that ignores the malleability of symbols

How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it

• Published
    23 October 2014

US Air Force aeroplaneIMAGE SOURCE,STEVEN HELLER
By Mukti Jain Campion
Kiev

In the Western world the swastika is synonymous with fascism, but it goes back thousands of years and has been used as a symbol of good fortune in almost every culture in the world. As more evidence emerges of its long pre-Nazi history in Europe, can this ancient sign ever shake off its evil associations?

In the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit, swastika means "well-being". The symbol has been used by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains for millennia and is commonly assumed to be an Indian sign.

Early Western travellers to Asia were inspired by its positive and ancient associations and started using it back home. By the beginning of the 20th Century there was a huge fad for the swastika as a benign good luck symbol.

In his book The Swastika: Symbol Beyond Redemption? US graphic design writer Steven Heller shows how it was enthusiastically adopted in the West as an architectural motif, on advertising and product design.

Label from Swastika "eating fruit" (1930s); playing cards (1920s); and a Coca-Cola pendant issued for teenagersIMAGE SOURCE,STEVEN HELLER Image caption,
20th Century fad: Fruit packaging, a Coca-Cola pendant, and a pack of cards, all from the US

"Coca-Cola used it. Carlsberg used it on their beer bottles. The Boy Scouts adopted it and the Girls' Club of America called their magazine Swastika. They would even send out swastika badges to their young readers as a prize for selling copies of the magazine," he says.

It was used by American military units during World War One and it could be seen on RAF planes as late as 1939. Most of these benign uses came to a halt in the 1930s as the Nazis rose to power in Germany.

The Nazi use of the swastika stems from the work of 19th Century German scholars translating old Indian texts, who noticed similarities between their own language and Sanskrit. They concluded that Indians and Germans must have had a shared ancestry and imagined a race of white god-like warriors they called Aryans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

hanging Symbols and the Swastika

Native_American_basketball_team_crop.jpg Chilocco Indian Agricultural School basketball team 1908-09

Symbols serve as a significant way to express identity within society. Crosses generally identify someone as a Christian, a hammer and sickle as a communist, and black and white houndstooth as a University of Alabama fan. Of course, that simple equation provides an arena for significant competition about exactly which symbol represents which ideas. The apparent incongruency of Native Americans wearing swastikas on their basketball uniforms (Chilocco Indian Agricultural School in Oklahoma, 1908) derives from the assumption that symbols have a defined meaning. As with identity labels generally, the meanings of symbols like the swastika shift over time, and seldom does a symbol have only one meaning.

The swastika is one symbol whose meaning is particularly contested today. In Europe and the United States, the swastika has become intimately tied to Nazi ideology since the Nazi party adopted it in 1920. Its use predates that adoption by millennia, found in artifacts from in North America, the Iranian plateau, South Asia, and various other locations. The meanings and explanations for these various appearances of the symbol are uncertain, but are generally assumed to be auspicious. (A 1933 pamphlet provides an interesting account of its presumed prehistorical meanings.) In regions such as South and East Asia (and among those who identify with those areas), the symbol is frequently used today not to convey a Nazi identity but as an auspicious symbol. While the Nazi swastika typically is right-facing, people in various parts of Asia display swastikas turned in either direction, often depending on the aesthetics of its creator and the context of its application.

With globalization, the swastika has become a point of contention. People in Europe and the Americas who use the symbol feel compelled to explain their use of the swastika to distance themselves from Nazi ideology. The standard line is that the swastika is an ancient, auspicious symbol that Hitler misused. When some in the EU proposed banning the swastika, groups of immigrants primarily from India campaigned against the ban. Ramesh Kallidia of the Hindu Forum of Britain reportedly asserted, “The swastika has been around for 5,000 years as a symbol of peace. This is exactly the opposite of how it was used by Hitler.”

While the swastika has apparently been used for millennia, though not always labeled with that Sanskrit-derived name, the narrative of pure origins and corruption homogenizes a complex symbol, assuming a singular, true meaning. Having no intrinsic content, the meanings of symbols, like identity labels, are constructed socially. Reading a meaning back into history or across communities misses that lack of inherent content. Therefore, both those who assume that any use of the swastika reflects Nazi ideology and those who assert that Hitler corrupted a positive ancient symbol construct a consistent meaning for the symbol that ignores the malleability of symbols

How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it

• Published
    23 October 2014

US Air Force aeroplaneIMAGE SOURCE,STEVEN HELLER
By Mukti Jain Campion
Kiev

In the Western world the swastika is synonymous with fascism, but it goes back thousands of years and has been used as a symbol of good fortune in almost every culture in the world. As more evidence emerges of its long pre-Nazi history in Europe, can this ancient sign ever shake off its evil associations?

In the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit, swastika means "well-being". The symbol has been used by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains for millennia and is commonly assumed to be an Indian sign.

Early Western travellers to Asia were inspired by its positive and ancient associations and started using it back home. By the beginning of the 20th Century there was a huge fad for the swastika as a benign good luck symbol.

In his book The Swastika: Symbol Beyond Redemption? US graphic design writer Steven Heller shows how it was enthusiastically adopted in the West as an architectural motif, on advertising and product design.

Label from Swastika "eating fruit" (1930s); playing cards (1920s); and a Coca-Cola pendant issued for teenagersIMAGE SOURCE,STEVEN HELLER Image caption,
20th Century fad: Fruit packaging, a Coca-Cola pendant, and a pack of cards, all from the US

"Coca-Cola used it. Carlsberg used it on their beer bottles. The Boy Scouts adopted it and the Girls' Club of America called their magazine Swastika. They would even send out swastika badges to their young readers as a prize for selling copies of the magazine," he says.

It was used by American military units during World War One and it could be seen on RAF planes as late as 1939. Most of these benign uses came to a halt in the 1930s as the Nazis rose to power in Germany.

The Nazi use of the swastika stems from the work of 19th Century German scholars translating old Indian texts, who noticed similarities between their own language and Sanskrit. They concluded that Indians and Germans must have had a shared ancestry and imagined a race of white god-like warriors they called Aryans.

Is that you, Dr. Jones?

Harrison Ford GIF

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

@Al_4_ISU I like the colors on your 2013 throwback better. What did that helmet look like, anyway? How long were the ISU teams called the AMES?

2013 helmet was just red with gold player numbers.  I liked those unis a lot too.

I don’t know when they stopped referring to the team as Ames.  The school was Iowa State College at the time Trice played.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

2013 helmet was just red with gold player numbers.  I liked those unis a lot too.

I don’t know when they stopped referring to the team as Ames.  The school was Iowa State College at the time Trice played.

Ya these are badass 

bundrage-quenton_iowa_2013-14.thumb.jpg.20f7a555123c23418025bb3e4a478af5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/22/2023 at 12:55 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Just make these permanent

100%. Great looking uniform and cool weaving the history of the school and Jack Trice into it.

On 4/21/2023 at 5:44 PM, 'stache said:

Back on topic, I wish the monochrome fad would just die already. Color contrast makes for better visual presentation.  All white is about the only version that is acceptable but is still not great, in my opinion (neg away surlyhorns).

Those new Arizona uniforms are garbage. It makes it worse that Arizona has great colors. Their old set that they wore before they redesigned the logo to make it more “angry/attitude” was really, really good. Having the AZ flag on the sleeve was perfect extra color for a simple, classic look. They didn’t win a lot in them, but they looked great and the home red with white pants was equally good. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0830be31be9e117af011a616320094cf.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3