Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Sorry. You guys being annoyed is just collateral damage for how many aggies this upsets.

Might be the only thing right about aggy.

Fuck any of that bullshit residing in Nashville. It's moronic.  It has not a fucking thing to do with gotdam Tennessee.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texans is objectively worse.

It might have worked with a better logo and branding, but they should have just done the Cleveland thing and called them the Oilers.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Someone Football Team is far superior than Commanders. 

Commanders might be the worst currently.

Agree 100%.  Washington Football Team was kinda cool, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texans is objectively worse.

Its not a great name, really wish someone in that meeting would have pointed out that the other pro sports franchises in the city at the time were named Astros, Rockets and Aeros so pick something that compliments that Space City theme... Houston Apollos? Least they didn't go with one of the reported choices "Houston 1836"

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I thought the Titans was pretty bad/generic.

Thankfully, this name is way worse than Texans because Bud Adams was a dipshit

I honestly never thought of it, but did the Chiefs own the name Texans and sell it to Houston at the time of expansion, or did names not have ownership like that back then? If I were king I’d pass federal legislation that once a team is named it belongs to that city and not the franchise. You wanna move? Fine, it’s on you to choose a new name and let the city have a chance at a revival. I’ll never understand hating the citizens of a large city so much that you refuse to give them their name back.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I honestly never thought of it, but did the Chiefs own the name Texans and sell it to Houston at the time of expansion, or did names not have ownership like that back then? If I were king I’d pass federal legislation that once a team is named it belongs to that city and not the franchise. You wanna move? Fine, it’s on you to choose a new name and let the city have a chance at a revival. I’ll never understand hating the citizens of a large city so much that you refuse to give them their name back.

If I remember correctly someone else was squatting on the rights to the name "Texans" since the Kansas City franchise hadn't used it in quite some time. Bob McNair did at least go to Lamar Hunt to get his blessing to use the name, which because Lamar Hunt isn't a vindictive asshole like Bud or Amy Adams, of course he granted and everything was good there. McNair had to pay off whoever was squatting on the trademark but that wasn't a very large amount. 

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Its not a great name, really wish someone in that meeting would have pointed out that the other pro sports franchises in the city at the time were named Astros, Rockets and Aeros so pick something that compliments that Space City theme... Houston Apollos? Least they didn't go with one of the reported choices "Houston 1836"

Thankfully, this name is way worse than Texans because Bud Adams was a dipshit

Houston 1836 was the name of the Dynamo for a short while. It was never considered for the Texans. 1836 was changed because of pressure from Mexican-American activists. Toros with the current logo would have been a better choice. Apollos was a better choice as well.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I've always liked the Jets name. Better than being one of 10,000 Wildcats or Bulldogs or Cardinals.

Fair enough. Tigers is also overused in sports (SEC has three sets, and Clemson is just next door). 

Similar to St. Louis with baseball Cardinals and football Cardinal(NY had Giants for both sports), Houston could've had Houston Football Astros.  How sweet could these helmet logos look? 

New place instead of old Dome..

image.thumb.png.42530cfb6a30cfb8fea19ad5922a4b93.png

image.thumb.png.6aa379208f78bcf2b8d0cb74e410be2a.png

image.thumb.png.e0882bb464ca6d279acc15637e5d8a62.png

And then a Tequila Sunrise throwback Uni. 

4 hours ago, LTbear said:

Random note: there is not a lamer mascot in sports than being named after an airplane 

I don't know the reasons why they decided to stick with the _ets naming convention for all of the second tier NY franchises, but knowing you have to conform with that limits the alternatives. 

Bets - Atlantic City tie in
Fets - maybe if George Lucas bought them
Pets - Dear Penthouse...  
Vets - vets who flew jets  

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Are people in Nashville excited about the throwback? It just doesn't makes sense. It's like having your wife celebrate her old ex-boyfriend.

They wore the Oilers jerseys for 2 years so I'm sure there's a lot of nostalgia for when they got to Nashville. 

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Are people in Nashville excited about the throwback? It just doesn't makes sense. It's like having your wife celebrate her old ex-boyfriend.

Someone on the radio compared Titan fans getting off on this to weird stepmoms trying to claim glory off their stepkid’s accomplishments. 

15 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

They've been doing it for awhile now

sdut-tennessee-titans-wide-receiver-2016

I believe they’ve done it no more than 3 times, all with the 1960s version, and most if not all during preseason games. This is the first time they will break out blue/red/white 70s-90s uniforms and they will do it 3 times this year. Probably in retaliation to Hanna McNair announcing Texans will change to H-town blue. 

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Someone on the radio compared Titan fans getting off on this to weird stepmoms trying to claim glory off their stepkid’s accomplishments. 

Kinda nice to know theres at least some Titans fans out there who have some shame and realize how wrong this is. Most of the ones I have seen (granted, on social media of some sort) are full chub ahead and fully getting off on Houston fan discontent on this and its pretty gross.

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Probably in retaliation to Hanna McNair announcing Texans will change to H-town blue. 

From what I read yesterday in the news clippings from the discussion with Hanna McNair about updating the uniforms, the former paint scheme of the HPD cruisers was brought up as the color template they were considering using, so this could be "H-Town blue":

Houston_Police_Department_cruiser_in_2006.thumb.jpg.bffe5134369118577a5f4de62554205f.jpg

Also from what I read they did have a hang up getting everything for the new uniforms approved by the league, didn't actually say who it was but fairly obvious it was that cunt Amy Adams...but they did eventually get the uniform changes approved so must have just changed the "H-Town blue" just enough to not be legally challengeable.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

From what I read yesterday in the news clippings from the discussion with Hanna McNair about updating the uniforms, the former paint scheme of the HPD cruisers was brought up as the color template they were considering using, so this could be "H-Town blue":

Houston_Police_Department_cruiser_in_2006.thumb.jpg.bffe5134369118577a5f4de62554205f.jpg

Also from what I read they did have a hang up getting everything for the new uniforms approved by the league, didn't actually say who it was but fairly obvious it was that cunt Amy Adams...but they did eventually get the uniform changes approved so must have just changed the "H-Town blue" just enough to not be legally challengeable.

I wouldn't get too excited after seeing what Nike did for rebranding the Cardinals, Falcons, Rams, etc.

Yeah, the new throwbacks look great. Even Nike couldn't fuck that up.

Either I have enough emotional scar tissue built up from dealing with that shit show when they were in Houston or I'm callused by the uncanny ability of the franchise to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory persistently, but, in all sincerity, I don't give a damn about the Oiler name or the uniforms. If Nashville wants them, F em. They can have them. I will laugh my ass off when Tannehill, in his Oiler jersey, throws the pick-six to seal a 24-point comeback for the opposition.