Rams/Chiefs Game Next Monday Moved to LA Because of Poor Field Conditions in Mexico

Vic Mackey

19 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

I got the move, but a fire ridden LA doesn’t seem like a great option either. Was this a “home game” for the Rams?

When they have neutral site games the designated home team has to have their stadium ready to host the game in the event that the neutral site has issues, like this.  But yeah, from the news coverage it seems like LA is not an ideal replacement.

9 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
19 hours ago, TexasMan said:
Imagine if you had already paid for flights/hotels/tickets to this game already...
You know Goodell ain't gonna reimburse shit. 

Why the hell would anyone go to Mexico City for a football game. You're just asking to receive some type of Darwin award.

Maybe for the experience? Who knows. I mean people travel all over to watch their national soccer teams. The thing that sucks the most is all the people who bought tickets who live in Mexico. They are shit out of luck. It's not like they are moving the game somewhere close. It is about 2,000 miles away and in another country. Not exactly convenient for them.

I'd be pissed off if I was a Rams or Chiefs fan and I planned this well in advance. For a game like this, most of them would have. And all that shit down the drain.

NFL needs to quit hiding behind their language on the back of these tickets and reimburse people for their expenses. This shit rarely happens.

• Like 1

I imagine the # of Americans who planned on traveling to the game in Mexico is quite small, and of them I would guess a bunch have some sort of affiliation with the team beyond just fan.  The whole point of having the game in other countries is to grow the brand in those countries, not to get your current fans to spend money on travel.

Early 90s an Oilers preseason game was cancelled at the last minute when the visiting team walked out and saw the condition of the Astrodome turf and said fuck this.

Still in baseball season, the endzones had plywood sticking up over dirt and huge seams in the carpet. Thanks Bud.

36 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
20 hours ago, TexasMan said:
Imagine if you had already paid for flights/hotels/tickets to this game already...

Why the hell would anyone go to Mexico City for a football game. You're just asking to receive some type of Darwin award.

Better than the Liberty Bowl.

1 hour ago, fluff said:

How the fuck was the NFL not on top of the field conditions 4-6 months ago?

i know it's the football board, and people hate soccer talk, but anyone who has watched any soccer match at azteca knows that field is crap at best. this should come as no surprise, and the nfl should have stipulated that x weeks before the game, no on-field events. 

this was 100% avoidable. and the nfl not reimbursing fans is some serious bullshit.

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

Early 90s an Oilers preseason game was cancelled at the last minute when the visiting team walked out and saw the condition of the Astrodome turf and said fuck this.

Still in baseball season, the endzones had plywood sticking up over dirt and huge seams in the carpet. Thanks Bud.

Same thing with the Vet for a Ravens/Eagles game, I believe it was Belick(sp?) that was putting the heel of his shoe on a seam that sunk down, no support at all.  

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
22 hours ago, TexasMan said:

:lol

I have a friend that's a huge Texans fan.  He and his whole family have like 10 tickets.  Anyway, when the Texans played the Raiders a couple years ago, they all went.  Spent most of their time at a resort near Cuernavaca, then topped it off with watching their favorite NFL team.

Sounds pretty kickass to me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I thought I heard the field was wrecked from some concert they had there recently

And then the field was in the process of being repaired, and actually looked much better than those pictures, by the times the pictures hit. Oh well. Pussy players gonna pussy.

55 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the nfl should have stipulated that x weeks before the game, no on-field events.

Of course, a grass field can be replaced in under a week, as demonstrated in pictures above (assuming the field was already in the process of being grown). The NFL could have resolved this, they didn't want to.

45 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I have a friend that's a huge Texans fan.  He and his whole family have like 10 tickets.  Anyway, when the Texans played the Raiders a couple years ago, they all went.  Spent most of their time at a resort near Cuernavaca, then topped it off with watching their favorite NFL team.

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with it. Soccer dorks travel to Mexico to watch the USMNT play quite often. Or whichever country they play in. And they have to subject themselves to watching soccer...

• Like 1

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with it. Soccer dorks travel to Mexico to watch the USMNT play quite often. Or whichever country they play in. And they have to subject themselves to watching soccer...

Yep and it was fucking awesome. Not sure how many people would travel from LA to DF but plenty of 2ealthy people would travel from within Mexico to the game even if not fans.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
On 11/13/2018 at 5:39 PM, TexasMan said:

Because Mexico City is a badass place to visit?  The football game would be a plus for me.  A buddy was planning on going and I feel kinda bad this happened but agree with those saying they should've known this could happen with a concert days earlier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i know it's the football board, and people hate soccer talk, but anyone who has watched any soccer match at azteca knows that field is crap at best. this should come as no surprise, and the nfl should have stipulated that x weeks before the game, no on-field events. 

this was 100% avoidable. and the nfl not reimbursing fans is some serious bullshit.

I went to a soccer match in Azteca the week of Thanksgiving 14 years ago and the field was perfect. 

So...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Did they bring their aggy hoodies?

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

One field is on fire, one field is in Mexico.

Take your pick.

The only time that the Coliseum is "on fire" is when LA is having a case of the riots.

Last year there were fires on the side of the 405 just above Westwood and people didn't think anything about there being problems playing in the Coliseum.

The Malibu fires are about twice as far away as the fires near UCLA, maybe even THREE TIMES as far away. The number of highways and boulevards that the fire would have to jump in order to get to the Coliseum will only be possible when "The Big One" hits SoCal and there are countless gas leaks in between Malibu and Downtown LA to help push it along.

It's like saying that there are fires near the Cotton Bowl, so Jerry World is going to burn up.

5 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Of course, a grass field can be replaced in under a week, as demonstrated in pictures above (assuming the field was already in the process of being grown). The NFL could have resolved this, they didn't want to.

It can look nice, but new turf typically isn't good turf.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The only time that the Coliseum is "on fire" is when LA is having a case of the riots.

Last year there were fires on the side of the 405 just above Westwood and people didn't think anything about there being problems playing in the Coliseum.

The Malibu fires are about twice as far away as the fires near UCLA, maybe even THREE TIMES as far away. The number of highways and boulevards that the fire would have to jump in order to get to the Coliseum will only be possible when "The Big One" hits SoCal and there are countless gas leaks in between Malibu and Downtown LA to help push it along.

It's like saying that there are fires near the Cotton Bowl, so Jerry World is going to burn up.

Um, I believe the concern is regarding the air quality do to the smoke and not so much the actual fires.

22 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Um, I believe the concern is regarding the air quality do to the smoke and not so much the actual fires.

The Santa Ana winds push the wind to the west (And all of the fires are well west of Downtown LA), so it shouldn't be any worse than the not-so-great air quality in Santa Clara for the 49ers/Giants matchup.

We shall see.

• Like 1