UCF

FondrenRoad

Can they make the playoff?  I think so.  They are ranked 11 now.  Bama will take care of Georgia.  WVU is dropping, but they'll take care of OU and Texas will take care of them.  OSU will take care of Michigan. 

Outside of that, 3 of the below events need to happen.  2 if the selection committee decides to properly exclude 2 loss LSU.  Also, ND should be ranked lower than UCF based on Pitt games alone, but that is what it is.

1. OSU loses the B1G champ game.

2. ND loses to USC.

3. Wazzu loses to Washington or the PAC champ game.

4. LSU loses to A&M

3 is likely.  4 would be, but A&M loves to lie down and die for the SEC.  2 is possible.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Nope they are not making it. Committee does not respect them.

While I agree, about half the teams ahead of them are going to necessarily lose.  But I do think for there to be any possibility of it occurring, OSU/Mich has to lose the B1G championship game and ND has to lose to USC, in addition to a few other more likely breaks.  I also don't think the committee selects a 2 loss team over them.  The B1G CCG has almost no chance of going their way though.

12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Nope they are not making it. Committee does not respect them.

The committee is dead set on keeping anyone not in a P5 conference or ND out.  It's rigged and it's a complete farce that's being ran like a cartel.  

12 hours ago, linux said:

I hope the make CFP head assholes all sweat with lawsuits and congressional probes.

This needs to happen ASAP so we can clean this up and get a post-season set up that we all deserve.  

• Fuck You 1

The farce is that we act like G5 football is somehow similar to P5 football. I am not sure what rationale the P5 has for not going ahead and separating off into its own division. I would think the additional media money would offset the loss of one home game...oh wait, I forgot, the SEC and most of the ACC would lose 2-3 home games each year because they invest a quarter of their schedule in playing G5s and FCS teams. 

• Like 1

Will they get an invitation to ESPN's super secret three game tournament?  No they will not.

Will UCF prove to everyone that 80% of teams in division I football are excluded now and forever from ESPN's 'playoff'?  Yes they will.

Does excluding 80% of a league delegitimize your three game invitational tourny as an actual vehicle to crown a national champion?  Absolutely. 

ESPN's tournament will, however, crown the best team out of the 15-25 teams with 'traditional programs', large viewerships, and.or business ties to their network.

But no, UCF will not be invited to play in ESPN's tournament this year, or any year.  

Sorry, other 85 Universities, your football programs don't matter. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rickyspub said:

The farce is that we act like G5 football is somehow similar to P5 football. I am not sure what rationale the P5 has for not going ahead and separating off into its own division. I would think the additional media money would offset the loss of one home game...oh wait, I forgot, the SEC and most of the ACC would lose 2-3 home games each year because they invest a quarter of their schedule in playing G5s and FCS teams. 

You really need 4 divisions if you want to properly represent where college football is right now.

1. SEC (As long as their deal with ESPN lasts)

2. Traditional power schools in the other P5 conferences (teams that can qualify with 1 loss...Texas, OU, Ohio St, etc)

3. P5 conference schools without 'tradition' (the other 30 teams that are auto-disqualified with 1 loss...WV, Wash St., etc)

4. G5 and everybody else who will never, ever, ever be allowed a chance.

• Like 1

They won't make it but they are better than the usual G5 Cinderella. In terms of talent, they are probably as talented as some of these other schools near the top of the standings in a P5. In a bowl game, they'd probably hang against anyone outside of Alabama/Clemson/Georgia

17 hours ago, linux said:

I hope the make CFP head assholes all sweat with lawsuits and congressional probes.

I really hope this happens as well.  the selection committee is fucking ridiculous.  just absolutely fucking ridiculous and comical and it needs to die a horrible public death.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NowThis said:

big12 champ might get them in the Fiesta 

Stop with this shit.  We don’t have a Fiesta Bowl autobid anymore.  The Big 12 champ gets an automatic bid to the SUGAR BOWL to play the SEC champ or whoever their autobid goes to which (assuming Bama beats UGA) will be Georgia.

Bama, Clem, ND, UM/tOSU winner go to playoff

UM/tOSU loser, PAC12 champ go to Rose

UGA, Big12 champ go to Sugar

LSU, UCF, and a non champ OU or WSU will get at large bids

Assuming that doesn’t fill out the bowls you’re looking at a 3 loss UF, PSU or WVU for that last spot.

Regardless, UCF will not play the Big 12 champ...they’ll play LSU, non champs OU/WSU, or a three loss UF/PSU/WVU team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monster said:

You really need 4 divisions if you want to properly represent where college football is right now.

1. SEC (As long as their deal with ESPN lasts)

2. Traditional power schools in the other P5 conferences (teams that can qualify with 1 loss...Texas, OU, Ohio St, etc)

3. P5 conference schools without 'tradition' (the other 30 teams that are auto-disqualified with 1 loss...WV, Wash St., etc)

4. G5 and everybody else who will never, ever, ever be allowed a chance.

This is pretty spot on 

I love the Shag Surly.
  1. SEC plays cupcakes to pad ranking and game the system
  2. UCF undefeated with ALL cupcakes "they deserve a shot!"
  3. OUsucks
P5 teams constantly shit the bed against inferior competition and still get a shot at the playoff because reasons. SEC schedules FCS teams that are essentially the high school all star C team and still get playoff nods because reasons. UCF doesn't shit the bed 22 games in a row and somehow doesn't belong because reasons.
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

P5 teams constantly shit the bed against inferior competition and still get a shot at the playoff because reasons. SEC schedules FCS teams that are essentially the high school all star C team and still get playoff nods because reasons. UCF doesn't shit the bed 22 games in a row and somehow doesn't belong because reasons.

I'd love to see this as a venn diagram

Reason: They would not win 22 straight (or even 10 straight) with a P5 schedule, especially the Big12 round robin. Someone said it earlier. The problem is pretending that P5 and G5 are really the same “division”.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Reason: They would not win 22 straight (or even 10 straight) with a P5 schedule, especially the Big12 round robin. Someone said it earlier. The problem is pretending that P5 and G5 are really the same “division”.

Valid point..... If UCF played  5 straight weeks against B12 Teams, there's no way that they Win all 5 games....

Valid point..... If UCF played  5 straight weeks against B12 Teams, there's no way that they Win all 5 games....

Very, very few teams win 5 straight conference games each year. Let's not pretend that most of us wouldn't trade Kansas for UCF in the Big 12 straight up. If it wasn't for basketball, Kansas is a G5 school.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Very, very few teams win 5 straight conference games each year. Let's not pretend that most of us wouldn't trade Kansas for UCF in the Big 12 straight up. If it wasn't for basketball, Kansas is a G5 school.

Ok let's see

1. UCF is a legit playoff threat    OR/AND
  2. UCF is better than Kansas

I'll take #2

Ok let's see
  1. UCF is a legit playoff threat    OR/AND
  2. UCF is better than Kansas
I'll take #2
The argument against UCF is essentially the "stop being poor" argument. How many in a row do they have to win in order to qualify? Or do they have to wait until the next round of conference realignment 10 years from now? Like I said up thread, if they really want to keep the playoff from expanding to 8, they'll let UCF in this year if they go undefeated. If they don't, then an 8 team playoff is inevitable, especially if UCF wins their bowl game.

Alabama is in a clear tier by themselves. Clemson is in a clear second tier by themselves. Beyond that I think you can put Michigan, Notre Dame, Georgia, Oklahoma, Washington State and UCF in a clear tier of teams with a playoff case based solely on record. I think UCF could compete with any teams in that tier. Then again, I think all of these teams are clearly vulnerable given losses on their resume (OU-Texas was closer than it should've been, Georgia at LSU lol, Wazzu vs USC), a lack of belief in one side of the ball (Michigan's offense) and one being Notre Dame.

I'm very much in on Oklahoma playing UCF in the Fiesta Bowl to see if one of the teams can score 100.

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The argument against UCF is essentially the "stop being poor" argument. How many in a row do they have to win in order to qualify? Or do they have to wait until the next round of conference realignment 10 years from now? Like I said up thread, if they really want to keep the playoff from expanding to 8, they'll let UCF in this year if they go undefeated. If they don't, then an 8 team playoff is inevitable, especially if UCF wins their bowl game.

Honestly that's what UCF wants the argument to be.  They have refused to schedule with the big boys because they won't schedule a home game with UCF.  They could have a MUCH better schedule, but it's just easier to whine and paint tittles on your stadium.

FAU...  much smaller school played OU

FIU  ...  played Miami, Indiana

USF ... played Illinois, GT, Houston

They don't want to pay their dues (probably can't), they just want to jump right to "respect my authority" & FUPM

5 minutes ago, Loco said:

Honestly that's what UCF wants the argument to be.  They have refused to schedule with the big boys because they won't schedule a home game with UCF.  They could have a MUCH better schedule, but it's just easier to whine and paint tittles on your stadium.

FAU...  much smaller school played OU

FIU  ...  played Miami, Indiana

USF ... played Illinois, GT, Houston

They don't want to pay their dues (probably can't), they just want to jump right to "respect my authority" & FUPM

The most P-5 they can ever schedule is 3 (or 4, I don't know how many conference games AAC plays), the rest has to be their weak ass AAC schedule.  And if they're good, the big dogs won't schedule them.  Again, the problem is pretending that G5 is the same division as P5.  

2 hours ago, Loco said:

I love the Shag Surly.

1. SEC plays cupcakes to pad ranking and game the system
  2. UCF undefeated with ALL cupcakes "they deserve a shot!"
  3. OUsucks

There are only like 2 or 3 posters here that actually think UCF deserves to be in the playoffs. A few want UCF involved just to make the stupid committee squirm.

The UCF proponents think being undefeated must be rewarded, no matter the quality of the teams played. It is not unprecedented and is the reason BYU can claim a title. The desire to reward "perfection" is using a different paradigm than picking a second SEC team for a 4 team playoff. A team that didn't even win their division, especially when that team also played 3 cupcakes OOC, just because they pass the eyeball test. I don't think either scenario passes muster. If there are only 4 playoff teams, you don't get invited unless you play at least 9 P5 games and if you didn't play 13 games you also shouldn't get invited as every P5 conference has a CCG and making that should be the threshold for an invitation.

Most here don't think UCF plays a schedule that warrants inclusion in the 4-team playoff, but most seem to think they belong at 8 teams. I think the P5 needs to split off as I don't think UCF should take a playoff spot from a team that has a few blemishes from actually playing a challenging slate of games. 8 teams would allow some degree of beauty contest to include teams that didn't win their conference without making a mockery of having CCGs in the first place. I also think OOC SOS should be a major factor in determining who gets into the playoff and their seed.

• Like 1

If UCF has Clemson's schedule, who is going to give them a loss?  Who in the ACC (Power 5!) conference gives UCF a loss this year?     

Reminder: UCF already beat Pittsburgh by 31 points this year.   Pittsburgh is 6-1 in the ACC.  

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

I don’t think most G5 fans deny that UCF plays a weaker schedule than say, Michigan. 

What most G5 fans have a problem with us that is that there is no “access” or path for a school to achieve the metrics that the committee wants. As I explained in some other thread, it’s not like if UCF said that they were going to increase their football budget to the size of Texas’ they’d be let into a P5 conference. 

Meanwhile, P5 schools use G5 schools to pad their records (yes, yes I know it’s a two way street with the payouts). Imagine if the P5 schools only played each other. Coaches would be getting fired every two years at 85% of current P5 schools as the fans would complain about “not performing to our standard,” etc...

36 minutes ago, Monster said:

If UCF has Clemson's schedule, who is going to give them a loss?  Who in the ACC (Power 5!) conference gives UCF a loss this year?     

Reminder: UCF already beat Pittsburgh by 31 points this year.   Pittsburgh is 6-1 in the ACC.  

Somebody would.  Clemson's SOS is 49 and UCF's is 98.  With Clemson's schedule they would be playing a team almost every week better than what they are now.  And that's the point.  That schedule takes a toll.  It's not about one team, one matchup that would beat them, it's the entire schedule that does it.

UCF beat Temple by 12, Navy by 11 and Memphis by 1. NC State, Syracuse, Boston College and hell, even aggy are better than those teams.  

Look UCF isn’t going to force anyone to do anything anymore than the Colorado School of Mines is. They will expand the playoffs when it makes fiscal sense for them not because of some no name school with a shitty schedule.

Alabama is in a clear tier by themselves. Clemson is in a clear second tier by themselves. Beyond that I think you can put Michigan, Notre Dame, Georgia, Oklahoma, Washington State and UCF in a clear tier of teams with a playoff case based solely on record. I think UCF could compete with any teams in that tier. Then again, I think all of these teams are clearly vulnerable given losses on their resume (OU-Texas was closer than it should've been, Georgia at LSU lol, Wazzu vs USC), a lack of belief in one side of the ball (Michigan's offense) and one being Notre Dame.
I'm very much in on Oklahoma playing UCF in the Fiesta Bowl to see if one of the teams can score 100.

Lmao

30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Somebody would.  Clemson's SOS is 49 and UCF's is 98.  With Clemson's schedule they would be playing a team almost every week better than what they are now.  And that's the point.  That schedule takes a toll.  It's not about one team, one matchup that would beat them, it's the entire schedule that does it.

UCF beat Temple by 12, Navy by 11 and Memphis by 1. NC State, Syracuse, Boston College and hell, even aggy are better than those teams.  

UCF beat Pittsburgh by 31 points.  Pittsburgh is going to play in the ACC championship game.  That's as direct a comparison as you can get.  

The idea that UCF could never survive a P5 schedule filled with teams like NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse...well, let's look it.   Your toughest games (this year) are against Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Boston College....you beat Pittsburgh by 31 points.   Are Boston College and Syracuse THAT much better than Cincinnati and South Florida?   Where does the 'grind' part of an ACC schedule kick in?  Duke?   Wake Forest?  Georgia Tech?  (They are trying to schedule as many ACC teams as they can, to prove this exact point...but the NC game got PPD)  

Would UCF go undefeated in the big 10/big 12/SEC?   No chance.   

Could this year's UCF go undefeated in the ACC (If they swapped in for Clemson)?   It could happen.  

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rickyspub said:

There are only like 2 or 3 posters here that actually think UCF deserves to be in the playoffs. A few want UCF involved just to make the stupid committee squirm.

The UCF proponents think being undefeated must be rewarded, no matter the quality of the teams played. It is not unprecedented and is the reason BYU can claim a title. The desire to reward "perfection" is using a different paradigm than picking a second SEC team for a 4 team playoff. A team that didn't even win their division, especially when that team also played 3 cupcakes OOC, just because they pass the eyeball test. I don't think either scenario passes muster. If there are only 4 playoff teams, you don't get invited unless you play at least 9 P5 games and if you didn't play 13 games you also shouldn't get invited as every P5 conference has a CCG and making that should be the threshold for an invitation.

Most here don't think UCF plays a schedule that warrants inclusion in the 4-team playoff, but most seem to think they belong at 8 teams. I think the P5 needs to split off as I don't think UCF should take a playoff spot from a team that has a few blemishes from actually playing a challenging slate of games. 8 teams would allow some degree of beauty contest to include teams that didn't win their conference without making a mockery of having CCGs in the first place. I also think OOC SOS should be a major factor in determining who gets into the playoff and their seed.

Except, that BYU team beat the #3 on the road, lost only 1 game previously and then went on to throttle Washington 31-3 the following year.    They even offered to play Oklahoma in the bowl game and they declined to take more $$$ in the Orange Bowl instead.    

1 hour ago, RiceOwl said:

I don’t think most G5 fans deny that UCF plays a weaker schedule than say, Michigan. 

What most G5 fans have a problem with us that is that there is no “access” or path for a school to achieve the metrics that the committee wants. As I explained in some other thread, it’s not like if UCF said that they were going to increase their football budget to the size of Texas’ they’d be let into a P5 conference. 

Meanwhile, P5 schools use G5 schools to pad their records (yes, yes I know it’s a two way street with the payouts). Imagine if the P5 schools only played each other. Coaches would be getting fired every two years at 85% of current P5 schools as the fans would complain about “not performing to our standard,” etc...

It's completely rigged and set up to keep the G5 teams out and hoard the $$$ amongst the P5.   It's crooked and being ran like a monopoly.  Not only that but more often, you'll see the P5 schools playing FCS schools (see the SEC last week) than you'll see the G5 schools playing FCS schools.     It's completely setup against the G5, by design for the sole purpose of eliminating them from competition and having to share the pie with them.   Imagine how much more competitive those programs would be and how much better and entertaining this sport would be if that were not the case...

• Like 3

On 11/18/2018 at 7:01 PM, Fart said:

I’d love to see Texas get matched up with UCF, just read surly posts for the lulz

I’d love it if your sister (or brother) took revenge on you for all those years of late night massages by shoving by a tire iron up your bunghole. 

And your bishop wants to have a talk with you. 

Edited by Chad Sexington
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

41 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Look UCF isn’t going to force anyone to do anything anymore than the Colorado School of Mines is. They will expand the playoffs when it makes fiscal sense for them not because of some no name school with a shitty schedule.

Except this isn't about lowly UCF and their 'shitty schedule'.   it's about the 85+ universities with division I football programs, that UCF represents.  And it's about a 'playoff' system that grants huge money prizes and national advertising opportunities to its secretly selected participants. 

I guess we will see if it makes fiscal sense to exclude 85-90 universities from those cash rewards and advertising opportunities.    I would guess, having lived in 'murica for some time, that there might be one or two powerful alumni/administrators, within the landscape of 85-90 colleges and universities, who might not like being locked outside gates in perpetuity.   

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1