Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

SIAP, didn't see it in the last 2-3 pages, NATO Secretary General rejected Zelensky's request for No Fly Zone, as difficult as it might have been:

"We are not part of this conflict," NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said in denying Ukraine's request.Reuters.com

We have a responsibility as NATO allies to prevent this war from escalating beyond Ukraine because that would be even more dangerous, more devastating and would cause even more human suffering," he said following a NATO meeting in Brussels."

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/nato-meets-ukraine-calls-no-fly-zone-hinder-russia-2022-03-04/

Summed it up perfectly for me. I kind of like this guy from what I've seen of him so far. Cool head on his shoulders.

CNN had an ambassador from Ukraine on and she responded with

1) stop calling it a conflict. It's an invasion and direct targeting and murder of innocent civilians. This isn't a conflict It's a war crime. 

2) they've done nothing but lie about attacking with tough sanctions. How can they be tough sanctions when Russia gets almost all their money from energy and the sanctions omitted the energy sector? Also of Putin's right hand man is omitted from the sanctions?

Seems the Ukrainians are wise to the west's bullshit

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Those maps are so dumb. There‘s no nukes in the world that powerful. The most powerful bomb in human history is the Tsar Bomba, only about 60mt, close to 100 unmodified but it was unusable at that power. There’s only 2 left in the world and it’s unknown if they’re even operational. It can also only be deployed via parachute. 

The Tsar’s tamper wasn’t made of the uranium it was designed to, thankfully, as that would have gotten it close to 100Mt but resulted in massive radiation as well as vaporizing the delivery plane.  

As it was the damn thing was visible in Alaska, the shockwave circulated the earth several times, broke windows a hundred miles away, etc.  It was a monster but remarkably ‘clean’ on a % basis as so much power was derived from its two fusion stages.  

I doubt the other two are available at all, maybe just the casings in museums.  All the US ones modeled on Castle Bravo are long gone.  Believe most Minutemen warheads are about 300-400kt because guidance is so much better you don’t need to shake the whole fucking planet.  

Edited by Homercles

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

If this is accurate, and I hope it is, that would mean potentially an immediate draw down and withdraw by Russian Army units within the next 36 hours or so.  I'm betting they had no such thought given to this possibility.  I'm betting that means they either won't order a with draw and just leave those guys in the cold to rot.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

The Tsar’s tamper wasn’t made of the uranium it was designed to, thankfully, as that would have gotten it close to 100Mt but resulted in massive radiation as well as vaporizing the delivery plane.  

As it was the damn thing was visible in Alaska, the shockwave circulated the earth several times, broke windows a hundred miles away, etc.  It was a monster but remarkably ‘clean’ on a % basis as so much power was derived from its two fusion stages.  

I doubt the other two are available at all, maybe just the casings in museums.  All the US ones modeled on Castle Bravo are long gone.  Believe most Minutemen warheads are about 300-400kt because guidance is so much better you don’t need to shake the whole fucking planet.  

IIRC, the megaton range bombs still exist in inventory as decommissioned but mothballed for potential planetary defense from a large asteroid impact

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Please don't.  For the most part this has been a great thread.  I don't ever go into CR, and I'd lose this thread forever.  That would suck.

After my trip to purgatory, I requested that when I gained reinstatement that I could NOT access CR so I wouldn't have to worry about that again...

So, it's good this thread is here.  And it's been really pretty good for the most part.  Until those idiots started that Buick talk shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, utee94 said:

Please don't.  For the most part this has been a great thread.  I don't ever go into CR, and I'd lose this thread forever.  That would suck.

Agree. This thread is more important than people who can't control themselves.  Warn the posters, then nuke them, but not the thread.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

16 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

In December it was 405,000 barrels of total petroleum products per day (only 90,000 of that was crude oil). And that number had dropped from 761,000 in July. I'm betting it continued to drop ever further in January and February. In fact, I'm betting it is pretty close to 0 right now.  Just because it isn't against the law (yet) doesn't mean businesses kept buying Russian oil. Pretty confident a good number of stopped already. 

2021 was a record breaking year for Russian energy imports. December has historically been a down month for purchasing according to the data from the last 18years. We have averaged 390 thousand for December. 405 is right in line with historical norms if not a bit high.

No data has been released for January. 

https://cnsnews.com/article/washington/terence-p-jeffrey/us-petroleum-imports-russia-set-record-bidens-first-year

Edited by ChickenSandwich

4 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

If this is accurate, and I hope it is, that would mean potentially an immediate draw down and withdraw by Russian Army units within the next 36 hours or so.  I'm betting they had no such thought given to this possibility.  I'm betting that means they either won't order a with draw and just leave those guys in the cold to rot.  

He's just talking about existing supplies, not the supplies in the whole country. He clarifies more is coming in another tweet.

To me it's best not to think about any kind of quick end to this. Many of the experts I've read/listened to are talking about this in terms of years.

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

He's just talking about existing supplies, not the supplies in the whole country. He clarifies more is coming in another tweet.

To me it's best not to think about any kind of quick end to this. Many of the experts I've read/listened to are talking about this in terms of years.

That sounded extremely optimistic to me as well.  I'd find it difficult to believe they only had stockpiled munitions for 15 days of war, but given how much Putin and his sack of dicks oligarchs have stolen, who knows?  The other thing, with the world crashing down open him economically, his best play may well to propaganda that with the help of the west that his army was slaughtered by the "Nazi" Ukrainians and that the people need him to keep from having the country over run.  That's a lie he could use.  

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

2021 was a record breaking year for Russian energy imports. December has historically been a down month for purchasing according to the data from the last 18years. We have average 390 thousand. 405 is right in line with historical norms if not a bit high.

No data has been released for January. 

https://cnsnews.com/article/washington/terence-p-jeffrey/us-petroleum-imports-russia-set-record-bidens-first-year

That's a fair clarification. I still believe our negligible imports from Russia dropped to essentially 0 over the last week.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

protip: just because you say "no cr" does not mean you won't get a day off for posting cr shit in this thread.

at this point i'm getting tempted to move it to cr. keep it clean, folks. 

Just delete/move the offending post(s), please. This thread has mostly avoided that and is a fantastic source of info.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Actually, I don't think we can really replace Russia's production with domestic production. Russia is heavy crude oil and the stuff we have is lighter and sweeter. We get our heavy crude from places like Canada and previously Venezuela. 

We don't need light sweet crude.  For the most part we are using "opportunity" crude which is just another name for the heavy sour stuff.  It's cheaper and we've adapted to it.  It is a pipe killer and that's some of the shit we've learned.  I was part of an inspection team in Garyville LA and we wrote a white paper on T9 after our findings because the nerds claimed that it was indestructible but sulfidation wasn't accounted for.  The sour gas is heavy as shit on sulfur content but the industry doesn't want to admit they were wrong. 

11 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I dunno.  If they truly were a puppet I would think they'd already be in NATO.  They want to be western.  There's a difference between that and being a puppet.

Also, this whole topic feels very cloaky. Perhaps have this discussion over there and leave this thread to news updates?

I think the problem is we view Ukraine as this great country but it honestly was a piece of shit and corrupt as hell.

7 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I doubt the other three are available at all, maybe just the casings in museums.  All the US ones modeled on Castle Bravo are long gone.  Believe most Minutemen warheads are about 300-400kt because guidance is so much better you don’t need to shake the whole fucking planet.  

We didn't try to build bigger bombs we started to build one big ass warhead that can strike several targets.  MiRVs are great because we know if I can get one missile into orbit then I can crash 8 different targets.  SALT and START kinda forced is into that mindset.  For example an SSBN has 24 missiles.  But it actually has 120 if you count how many targets it can hit.  Each missile can split.  That's the danger

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

It's been clarified it only meant resources in the Ukraine theater not RU resources. 

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

So my brother works for an alphabet soup agency and he won't ever go into details but he said the scariest thing about Russia right now is we don't know a fucking thing about Russia.  Everything we thought to be true is wrong.  So that makes them even scarier.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That's a fair clarification. I still believe our negligible imports from Russia dropped to essentially 0 over the last week.  

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned there are Russian tankers out there with no customers to buy.  One of the financial analysts on one of the network news said that it's probably not going to be necessary to officially cut off the Russian imports, because US buyers are making that decision on their own.

Still, from a signaling standpoint, I'd rather just see us tell the Russians to pound sand.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

CNN had an ambassador from Ukraine on and she responded with

1) stop calling it a conflict. It's an invasion and direct targeting and murder of innocent civilians. This isn't a conflict It's a war crime. 

2) they've done nothing but lie about attacking with tough sanctions. How can they be tough sanctions when Russia gets almost all their money from energy and the sanctions omitted the energy sector? Also of Putin's right hand man is omitted from the sanctions?

Seems the Ukrainians are wise to the west's bullshit

Look, Ukraine is at war and they’re gonna do as hard to get everything they can. And they’re playing the info war well and they’re doing unbelievable public diplomacy and that shit works.  But remember, we’re on their side and we want them to win but we’re not identical with them.

These sanctions are fucking up Russia badly. Their second largest airline stopped international flights. The ruble is shit. There’s bank runs. They can’t go to gotdamn IKEA man. 

The West also has to plan for the longer game. All this support for Ukraine will fade and people will just hear about a war far away and if they’re paying five bucks for gas they will lose interest even quicker.  The balance is things that bite that hurt them more than you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So my brother works for an alphabet soup agency and he won't ever go into details but he said the scariest thing about Russia right now is we don't know a fucking thing about Russia.  Everything we thought to be true is wrong.  So that makes them even scarier.

Yeah, this has turned everyone upside down. Nonetheless, if you get into a mindset it's going to be a long conflict, you're pleasantly surprised (or...not so pleasantly) when it's much shorter. Whereas if you're expecting a relatively short conflict, it's going to be easier for the grind to get to you. Not that it won't anyway, but expectations can help a bunch in terms of dealing with circumstances.

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Look, Ukraine is at war and they’re gonna do as hard to get everything they can. And they’re playing the info war well and they’re doing unbelievable public diplomacy and that shit works.  But remember, we’re on their side and we want them to win but we’re not identical with them.

These sanctions are fucking up Russia badly. Their second largest airline stopped international flights. The ruble is shit. There’s bank runs. They can’t go to gotdamn IKEA man. 

The West also has to plan for the longer game. All this support for Ukraine will fade and people will just hear about a war far away and if they’re paying five bucks for gas they will lose interest even quicker.  The balance is things that bite that hurt them more than you. 

I do want to say I read the Dumas restrictions passed today stopped all international flights.

Part of the issue I haven't seen posted here - and I'm guilty of not doing myself - is that educated Russians look like World War Z zombies trying to get out of the country. Prior to the rulings today, all trains and all flights out of Russia are/were sold out. I've read interviews from Russians basically saying this war has destroyed their livelihood, and the only option is to get out of the country. Tons of IT people leaving among others. If enough people leave, the brain drain is going to be enormous.

Just another cost of Putin's decision.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, this has turned everyone upside down. Nonetheless, if you get into a mindset it's going to be a long conflict, you're pleasantly surprised (or...not so pleasantly) when it's much shorter. Whereas if you're expecting a relatively short conflict, it's going to be easier for the grind to get to you. Not that it won't anyway, but expectations can help a bunch in terms of dealing with circumstances.

The length of this invasion solely depends on how long Putin is alive.  I don't believe anyone in his inner circle thinks this is a good idea but him.  He dies.  The war dies

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I know I keep bringing up Bosnia, but this is a reason. Once the horror of a war was reduced, by media fatigue, interest dropped and so did the push to fuck up the Serbs (and then the Croats.) 

I think Russia is going to keep slogging forward to the Dnieper and then halt. Encircle Kyiv and look at the west and ok, lets talk or we keep leveling the city. We can rotate units, the UA cannot. 

Hearing that the UA is hitting out with counter attacks is nice to hear. If they can knock out some real combat units, great, but this is not about terrain at this stage for the UA. It is about not losing. For the Ruskies it is about terrain. 

Fucked times. Glad to have the analysis and jokes on this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

We don't need light sweet crude.  For the most part we are using "opportunity" crude which is just another name for the heavy sour stuff.  It's cheaper and we've adapted to it.  It is a pipe killer and that's some of the shit we've learned.  I was part of an inspection team in Garyville LA and we wrote a white paper on T9 after our findings because the nerds claimed that it was indestructible but sulfidation wasn't accounted for.  The sour gas is heavy as shit on sulfur content but the industry doesn't want to admit they were wrong. 

I think the problem is we view Ukraine as this great country but it honestly was a piece of shit and corrupt as hell.

We didn't try to build bigger bombs we started to build one big ass warhead that can strike several targets.  MiRVs are great because we know if I can get one missile into orbit then I can crash 8 different targets.  SALT and START kinda forced is into that mindset.  For example an SSBN has 24 missiles.  But it actually has 120 if you count how many targets it can hit.  Each missile can split.  That's the danger

Also, our ICBMs/warheads are extremely accurate.  The CEPs are tiny compared to what the Soviets used to have.  Which is why they relied on high yield....they knew if they couldn't hit exactly where they wanted, they'd just blow everything the fuck up...

9 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Is there a bit about posting this one over and over? Seen it about 10 times on this one thread

I've been paying decent attention to this thread and I hadn't seen it here when I posted it...maybe you're wrong.

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I was just posting how the Ukrainian ambassador replied to NATO's statement. She's correct in her assessment but the west will never admit that we support Ukraine but not at the expense of our own population's comfort. One thing Putin did very well was weaponize half the USA against itself which limits the risks the American politicians are willing to take. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

protip: just because you say "no cr" does not mean you won't get a day off for posting cr shit in this thread.

at this point i'm getting tempted to move it to cr. keep it clean, folks. 

Please stay off this thread. I’m getting tired of good threads being moved to cr. If you do it then it should be your responsibility to create a daily thread. I refuse to go to cr for obvious reasons.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

I know I keep bringing up Bosnia, but this is a reason. Once the horror of a war was reduced, by media fatigue, interest dropped and so did the push to fuck up the Serbs (and then the Croats.) 

I think Russia is going to keep slogging forward to the Dnieper and then halt. Encircle Kyiv and look at the west and ok, lets talk or we keep leveling the city. We can rotate units, the UA cannot. 

Hearing that the UA is hitting out with counter attacks is nice to hear. If they can knock out some real combat units, great, but this is not about terrain at this stage for the UA. It is about not losing. For the Ruskies it is about terrain. 

Fucked times. Glad to have the analysis and jokes on this thread. 

Yeah, the Balkans just became background noise. This is just how it works, and it’s bad for the Ukrainians to just turn into some war-torn country where no one remembers why they are fighting.  

But Russia has crossed some serious lines. Even if they win on the ground there’s no getting plugged back in to the West. China is not a substitute, yet, and maybe never will be.  Putin has most likely wrecked Russia for a generation or more. I wonder if Russians are getting on Weibo yet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Also, our ICBMs/warheads are extremely accurate.  The CEPs are tiny compared to what the Soviets used to have.  Which is why they relied on high yield....they knew if they couldn't hit exactly where they wanted, they'd just blow everything the fuck up...

I've been paying decent attention to this thread and I hadn't seen it here when I posted it...maybe you're wrong.

This thread moves really fast; I've seen that meme a dozen times but not sure if it was in this thread, the CR thread, or just on Twitter.

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I was just posting how the Ukrainian ambassador replied to NATO's statement. She's correct in her assessment but the west will never admit that we support Ukraine but not at the expense of our own population's comfort. One thing Putin did very well was weaponize half the USA against itself which limits the risks the American politicians are willing to take. 

Half of America doesn't even know where Ukraine is.  We all tend to believe we give a shit but just wait for the next news story to dominate the headline.  And for as much as we want to believe everything.  The news is being awfully vague about what is happening

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

No evidence of it, so it's probably propaganda, but it's enough to scare the residents inside the city. They think it's true/possible.

Why would you think it's not true?    Have you seen the videos of entire civilian apartment blocks leveled?  You think those were empty when they were destroyed?  Do you think mass murder and genocide is okay with them, but rape is just completely off-limits?