Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

The joke in DC is when the sirens go off, I’m running straight towards the White House.  I have no interest in the post nuke world. My soft bougie ass wouldn’t make it 5 minutes. 

I know, right?

I ain’t no Carol from “The Walking Dead” and have no desire to try to be.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I've been hearing about the 10-day thing from a few days after it started, that it looked like they had supply dumps/etc. setup for around 10 days or so.

But 10 days is a nice round number, so who knows.

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It is so fucking weird that at any point in time, Kentucky teachers had their retirement funds partly in a Russian state owned bank that is the successor to the Soviet Savings Bank. 

I hear you, but surely you know like me that Kentucky teachers or really members of that retirement system board do not have a damn thing to do with investments.  They are paying some group millions of dollars to manage those billion dollar accounts.  You might be surprised what group has made those decisions though.

Just now, ruitxn said:

I hear you, but surely you know like me that Kentucky teachers or really members of that retirement system board do not have a damn thing to do with investments.  They are paying some group millions of dollars to manage those billion dollar accounts.  You might be surprised what group has made those decisions though.

Of course, that’s why it’s so fucking weird. 

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I was thinking Ukraine might pull it out but if Russia really does manage to block all social media, I will just wait for our new fur hat wearing overlords to emerge in a couple months. Putin may be a strategic genius after all. 

There's something to this.

Without the idiocy of social media, Russia may become the most sophisticated, intelligent country on earth within a matter of a few weeks.

• Haha 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

There's something to this.

Without the idiocy of social media, Russia may become the most sophisticated, intelligent country on earth within a matter of a few weeks.

C'mon, you know they aren't blocking the orange man's new app.

2 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

I still think Laura Schneider is pulling the strings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

My dad's grandmother immigrated to the U.S. from Czechoslovakia, and my grandma once made us borscht, so this post hits close to home.

Well I grew up being told we had some Russian on my dad's side.  Then the genealogy search said we are Ukraine.  So this whole damn thing hits close to home. 

2 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

While we continue to cheer on the pouring out bottles of Stolichnaya and the widespread posting of Ukrainian flags on blue check mark accounts- the US continues to import millions of barrels of Russian oil each day.

Kinda sad really. 

Source?

Because.....and here's an important fact for you.....what you just posted is false.  A mere 1.3% of our crude oil IMPORTS -- and thus an even smaller fraction of our overall crude oil supply -- comes from Russia.  Around 200,000 barrels a day.  AND.....the gov't is actually considering measures to cut off even that tiny amount.  Economically, it's a non-issue for both Russia and the US.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Source?

Because.....and here's an important fact for you.....what you just posted is false.  A mere 1.3% of our crude oil IMPORTS -- and thus an even smaller fraction of our overall crude oil supply -- comes from Russia.  Around 200,000 barrels a day.  AND.....the gov't is actually considering measures to cut off even that tiny amount.  Economically, it's a non-issue for both Russia and the US.

Didn't realize Joe Machin was posting here.

My dad kept parroting these lines thanks to e-mail forwards... people don't bother to look at the actual numbers to see how much Russian oil we import.  Not to mention we're going to hit records for production in 2022 and 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

While we continue to cheer on the pouring out bottles of Stolichnaya and the widespread posting of Ukrainian flags on blue check mark accounts- the US continues to import millions of barrels of Russian oil each day.

Kinda sad really. 

I think most is going to replenishing the strategic reserves Trump sold off(100 Million barrels or more) which brings up....never mind it would be cloakroom stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Mearsheimer's argument boils down to "the world knew Russia was a wifebeater so shouldn't have let Russia near that bottle, and it's the world's fault and not Russia's that he beat his wife again."

Might it have been better for us to be a little more understanding of how Russia might interpret NATO expansion? Sure. Did NATO expansion cause this? Fuck off with that shit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I think most is going to replenishing the strategic reserves Trump sold off(100 Million barrels or more) which brings up....never mind it would be cloakroom stuff.

Why are you bringing up Trump? Has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

US oil/gas industry has plenty of capacity to replace the Russian imported oil with domestic crude: No excuses. None. It’s simply weak foreign policy with a built-in excuse of high prices. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

Germany is still buying Russian natural gas, which gives Russia a lot more money than the tiny amount of oil we import. I'm not too mad about it though, history is full of stories about enemies that are actively at war trading with each other. Sometimes there's good reasons for both sides to maintain some trade.

Mearsheimer's argument boils down to "the world knew Russia was a wifebeater so shouldn't have let Russia near that bottle, and it's the world's fault and not Russia's that he beat his wife again."
Might it have been better for us to be a little more understanding of how Russia might interpret NATO expansion? Sure. Did NATO expansion cause this? Fuck off with that shit.

He summed it up nicely: “The West is leading Ukraine down the primrose path, and the end result is that Ukraine is going to get wrecked.” Welp…

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

actual data on russian oil imports for anyone that cares. 

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTIM_NUS-NRS_1&f=M

for comparison's sake, here's our imports from canada:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTIMUSCA1&f=M

In 2021, the US imported an average of 209,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil and 500,000 bpd of other petroleum products from Russia, according to theAmerican Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) trade association.

https://www.afpm.org/newsroom/blog/oil-and-petroleum-imports-russia-explained

200k is just crude, not all energy imports, we are buying over 600k barrels every day. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Kinda sad really. 

No it doesn't. The US imports a total of like 7 million barrels a day. A very small percentage of that is from Russia, and I'm betting its dropped off considerably. In December, the US imported a total of 12.5 million barrels of petroleum products from Russia. Like 3 million barrels of it was crude oil. And that's for the entire month. 

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

Just now, Loop 1604 said:

Why are you bringing up Trump? Has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

US oil/gas industry has plenty of capacity to replace the Russian imported oil with domestic crude: No excuses. None. It’s simply weak foreign policy with a built-in excuse of high prices. 

the actual answer is market dynamics and basic economics...david ricardo, adam smith, john taylor type stuff.  the essence of capitalism.

that was, of course, prior to the invasion.  there is now a negative social externality at play and we will see what happens as a result.  market-driven price equilibrium has shifted significantly as a result and continues to.  this will have an effect on firm behavior.  go see all the boners popping in the oil barrons thread to see where that leads.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

protip: just because you say "no cr" does not mean you won't get a day off for posting cr shit in this thread.

at this point i'm getting tempted to move it to cr. keep it clean, folks. 

Please don't move the whole thread, it really fucks up the discussion and usually makes surly shit its pants whenever a large and active thread is moved to a new board

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

No it doesn't. The US imports a total of like 7 million barrels a day. A very small percentage of that is from Russia, and I'm betting its dropped off considerably. In December, the US imported a total of 12.5 million barrels of petroleum products from Russia. Like 3 million barrels of it was crude oil. And that's for the entire month. 

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

You’re right. It’s only 600k per day. So hundreds of thousands imported per day. 

It should be fucking zero. How about that? Why is it not?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Actually, I don't think we can really replace Russia's production with domestic production. Russia is heavy crude oil and the stuff we have is lighter and sweeter. We get our heavy crude from places like Canada and previously Venezuela. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

protip: just because you say "no cr" does not mean you won't get a day off for posting cr shit in this thread.

at this point i'm getting tempted to move it to cr. keep it clean, folks. 

I like this thread not being in the CR (I don't venture to that cesspool).  Please keep this thread out of there so rational adults can have a conversation.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I like this thread not being in the CR (I don't venture to that cesspool).  Please keep this thread out of there so rational adults can have a conversation.

Believe it or not there is rational adult conversation over there.  But that's all I'm gonna say about that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Agree to disagree…like we do on everything.

I dunno.  If they truly were a puppet I would think they'd already be in NATO.  They want to be western.  There's a difference between that and being a puppet.

Also, this whole topic feels very cloaky. Perhaps have this discussion over there and leave this thread to news updates?

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

You’re right. It’s only 600k per day. So hundreds of thousands imported per day. 

It should be fucking zero. How about that? Why is it not?

In December it was 405,000 barrels of total petroleum products per day (only 90,000 of that was crude oil). And that number had dropped from 761,000 in July. I'm betting it continued to drop ever further in January and February. In fact, I'm betting it is pretty close to 0 right now.  Just because it isn't against the law (yet) doesn't mean businesses kept buying Russian oil. Pretty confident a good number of them stopped already. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1