Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, Smax said:

I am extremely disappointed in the US/Nato for not enforcing a no fly zone. Its past time to call putins bluff. Its simple, make it known we are not engaging Russian forces in Russia, we are defending a sovereign nations airspace at their request, if you (putin) decide to send your airforce into said sovereign nation without their permission, you will be shot down. The choice is yours

easy GIF

atomic bomb explosion GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

On a remotely bright spot tangent.....it seems that the current volunteer call in Berlin is for hot food to be made available for refugees arriving via train at the Berlin Hbf.  So, the boy spent some time making some easy, portable food to take down there that all of y'all here will recognize:

1f5cfd1a0bb0c068710b28d347f4fe20.jpeg

It's a start.  He's looking into which specific aid organizations need hands-on help in the coming days as well.

2 points to make.   first obviously good job.... although unless the color scheme is diff in Germany, arent the yellow salas medium heat?  that may be a bit of a kick to people used to bland food.

2nd.... when your kid ends up taking home a hot 19yr old UKR lady by bribing her with Breakfast tacos and a couch to sleep on, his return to Surly will be epic.......

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Smax said:

I am extremely disappointed in the US/Nato for not enforcing a no fly zone. Its past time to call putins bluff. Its simple, make it known we are not engaging Russian forces in Russia, we are defending a sovereign nations airspace at their request, if you (putin) decide to send your airforce into said sovereign nation without their permission, you will be shot down. The choice is yours

Enforcing a NFZ is the same as sending boots on the ground.  We would be directly engaging Russians in combat.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

On a remotely bright spot tangent.....it seems that the current volunteer call in Berlin is for hot food to be made available for refugees arriving via train at the Berlin Hbf.  So, the boy spent some time making some easy, portable food to take down there that all of y'all here will recognize:

1f5cfd1a0bb0c068710b28d347f4fe20.jpeg

It's a start.  He's looking into which specific aid organizations need hands-on help in the coming days as well.

Nice to see that someone is trying to fix the natural gas crisis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Enforcing a NFZ is the same as sending boots on the ground.  We would be directly engaging Russians in combat.

semantics maybe but we would be giving Russia the choice if they want to engage us

Just now, Smax said:

semantics maybe but we would be giving Russia the choice if they want to engage us

Putin has been dying to get us involved directly since day 1.  Of course they would engage us.  Then we'd wipe the floor with them, then he'd nuke something.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

No shit.  The only way to enforce anything is to engage with and shoot down other planes.  That is direct confrontation and a clear path to being drawn into a shooting war.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Putin has been dying to get us involved directly since day 1.  Of course they would engage us.  Then we'd wipe the floor with them, then he'd nuke something.

based on what the world has witnessed at Russia's military capabilities, my concern about their nukes has greatly demised, is still a threat? sure but I'm just not seeing it as big of one as I did a month ago. They've done nothing but trip over their dicks and miscalculation after miscalculation over the past 2 weeks ad in the dissent through the ranks being reported. Its time

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I just listened to Gen. Petraeus on Fox say throw out the history book an all analogies in the past, this one is different because of nuclear weapons. And he was talking specifically about not getting Putin backed into a corner so much that he uses n, because he will and it's not even a Putin thing, it's a Russian military playbook go-to procedure, and has been for decades. That makes it even easier for Putin to use it because it's not purely him but the policy.

Not only would No Fly likely usher that in, but Petraeus was even talking like we can't completely annihilate Putin in Russia, but keep an opt-out strategy open for him, because he will absolutely use nukes when he feels he has no other option. Imagine the fun trying to walk that tightrope if you're a Western general.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

The end game is powered by China. They are using the idiot in Russia to get what China wants. Russia will back off when China wants them to?

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

I they're just listened to Gen. Petraeus on Fox same throughout the history book an all analogies in the past this one is different because of nuclear weapons. And he was talking specifically about not getting Putin backed into a corner so much that he uses n, because he will and it's not even a Putin thing, it's a Russian military playbook go-to procedure, and has been for decades. That makes it even easier for Putin to use it because it's not purely him but the policy.

Not only would No Fly likely usher that in, but Petraeus was even talking like we can't completely annihilate Putin in Russia, but keep an opt-out strategy open for him, because he will absolutely use nukes when he feels he has no other option. Imagine the fun trying to walk that tightrope if you're a Western general.

I know you have to err on the side of caution but all this seems to do is give anyone w/ nukes permission to blackmail the world.  Again, I'm not advocating a NFZ or direct American military contact but Putin will never back down or away. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Smax said:

It doesn’t work that way. It won’t be limited to Ukrainian air space. You’ll have to engage air defenses situated across the border. It will be a massive escalation between two nuclear powers on a scale never seen before. Russian doctrine calls for the use of nuclear weapons if under a conventional military attack. They have a no first use treaty with China, but nothing with any other nuclear power. 

No sane leader is going to test that bluff. It’s not going to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Smax said:

based on what the world has witnessed at Russia's military capabilities, my concern about their nukes has greatly demised, is still a threat? sure but I'm just not seeing it as big of one as I did a month ago. They've done nothing but trip over their dicks and miscalculation after miscalculation over the past 2 weeks ad in the dissent through the ranks being reported. Its time

Jesus christ, if they can launch cruise missiles, they can launch nukes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I know you have to err on the side of caution but all this seems to do is give anyone w/ nukes permission to blackmail the world.  Again, I'm not advocating a NFZ or direct American military contact but Putin will never back down or away. 

pretty much why either everyone or no one should have nukes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

I they're just listened to Gen. Petraeus on Fox same throughout the history book an all analogies in the past this one is different because of nuclear weapons. And he was talking specifically about not getting Putin backed into a corner so much that he uses n, because he will and it's not even a Putin thing, it's a Russian military playbook go-to procedure, and has been for decades. That makes it even easier for Putin to use it because it's not purely him but the policy.

So we just sit here and watch him annihilate a country we signed to protect... the sanctions are bullshit and by the time they really start impacting the people we need it to, this will be over and Putin will have won. He will have the shown world again that Russia and anyone on edge with nuke capabilities can take whatever the fuck they want and nato and the world will sit there and debate what to do about it but in the end do nothing of substances. Yeah funneling weapons and stuff, it helps but come one do any of us REALLY think Ukraine is going to defeat the Russian military? No, they damage it but if you all are of the belief that if the west backs him corner he'll nuje, then he will certainly unleash more convectional hell on the Ukrainian people over the next few weeks to speed this up. China and Norks are watching closely at our response here an right now its looking they have the greenlight to do whatever the fuck they want with minimal repercussions.

We are either the good guys or we aren't

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It doesn’t work that way. It won’t be limited to Ukrainian air space. You’ll have to engage air defenses situated across the border. It will be a massive escalation between two nuclear powers on a scale never seen before. Russian doctrine calls for the use of nuclear weapons if under a conventional military attack. They have a no first use treaty with China, but nothing with any other nuclear power. 

No sane leader is going to test that bluff. It’s not going to happen. 

Then Ukraine is lost and whatever previous soviet union country Putin sets his eyes on next, this lackluster display by the west really maes me questions nato response if he tries to take Armenia or Azerbaijan

13 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I just listened to Gen. Petraeus on Fox say throw out the history book an all analogies in the past, this one is different because of nuclear weapons. And he was talking specifically about not getting Putin backed into a corner so much that he uses n, because he will and it's not even a Putin thing, it's a Russian military playbook go-to procedure, and has been for decades. That makes it even easier for Putin to use it because it's not purely him but the policy.

Exactly.  If we back him into a corner where he has no outs, he'll use one.  I have no doubt about that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Smax said:

Then Ukraine is lost and whatever previous soviet union country Putin sets his eyes on next, this lackluster display by the west really maes me questions nato response if he tries to take Armenia or Azerbaijan

What?  First you say the Russian army keeps tripping over themselves and is inept enough to make you scoff at the thought of nuclear escalation, then that Ukraine is lost, and now they will advance unchecked across eastern Europe?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Wait, wut? So you think the world would be a better place to live in if every country in the world had access to nuclear weapons? Is that your final answer?

Better?  Of course not, but more viable than the alternative of ZERO nukes.  

3 minutes ago, Smax said:

The only way the Ukraine is lost is if the Ukrainian people lose the will to fight.  I see no evidence of this whatsoever.  There aren't degrees of winning for Russia, only degrees of losing here.  The Afghani's fought for 10 years against them using will to fight, and eventually western assistance and won.  The Ukrainians didn't have to wait for western assistance.  Big difference.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Admission of conscripts

Makes me wonder:

1.  Was this really a blunder on the part of the military leadership (to send conscripts)? 

2.  An excuse for why the Russian invasion is going so poorly.

3.  A different excuse for Putin to send in "regular" Russian Army troops who may or may not do better in combat.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Smax said:

So we just sit here and watch him annihilate a country we signed to protect... the sanctions are bullshit and by the time they really start impacting the people we need it to, this will be over and Putin will have won. He will have the shown world again that Russia and anyone on edge with nuke capabilities can take whatever the fuck they want and nato and the world will sit there and debate what to do about it but in the end do nothing of substances. Yeah funneling weapons and stuff, it helps but come one do any of us REALLY think Ukraine is going to defeat the Russian military? No, they damage it but if you all are of the belief that if the west backs him corner he'll nuje, then he will certainly unleash more convectional hell on the Ukrainian people over the next few weeks to speed this up. China and Norks are watching closely at our response here an right now its looking they have the greenlight to do whatever the fuck they want with minimal repercussions.

We do a lot of shitty stuff in the world. We’re going to continue to do a lot of shitty stuff. If we didn’t do shitty stuff, it’s likely our national security would have been threatened. 

There is nowhere in the Budapest memorandum where the US promised to use military force to ensure Ukraine’s sovereignty. You are dismissing the sanctions, but these have teeth. The ones after Crimea and Donbas? Not so much.

Oh, and this will never be over until Russia leaves Ukraine. Regardless of his military victories Putin will never have control over the country. 

There is nothing about this that is emboldening North Korea. I question if China is being emboldened right now, frankly. This is not going well for Russia on any number of fronts. If anything, I’d imagine this has been very sobering for Xi and other Chinese leaders to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

What?  First you say the Russian army keeps tripping over themselves and is inept enough to make you scoff at the thought of nuclear escalation, then that Ukraine is lost, and now they will advance unchecked across eastern Europe?

Its a numbers game man, its not that fucking difficult

32 minutes ago, Smax said:

I just dont see him having the balls to do that and I'd bet on it. 1000 pound air bombing a hospital, its time to end his air ops

Our Govt is overrun with bumbling idiots but I sure hope they don't follow your advice and get us all killed. It is pure gamble to institute a NFZ. Are you willing to bet your life on it? You're families' life? Putin has proven he cares 2 fucks about human life, we can't take that chance. So far he has told us what he was going to do, not many actually believed him, then he did it. I would take him at his word.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Smax said:

You are awfully cavalier about starting a nuclear conflict.

The red line, since you can't figure it out, is NATO.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smax said:

Its a numbers game man, its not that fucking difficult

You're right, and Russia doesn't have the numbers to take, let alone hold Ukraine.  They are burning through men and material at an unsustainable pace.  Which is why conscripts and calls to Belarus to enter have surfaced.  They're in deep water and are going to drown 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

We do a lot of shitty stuff in the world. We’re going to continue to do a lot of shitty stuff. If we didn’t do shitty stuff, it’s likely our national security would have been threatened. 

There is nowhere in the Budapest memorandum where the US promised to use military force to ensure Ukraine’s sovereignty. You are dismissing the sanctions, but these have teeth. The ones after Crimea and Donbas? Not so much.

Oh, and this will never be over until Russia leaves Ukraine. Regardless of his military victories Putin will never have control over the country. 

There is nothing about this that is emboldening North Korea. I question if China is being emboldened right now, frankly. This is not going well for Russia on any number of fronts. If anything, I’d imagine this has been very sobering for Xi and other Chinese leaders to watch. 

The difference is NK and China don't need the west like Russia does, and enacting stringent sanctions on China to extent needed to hurt them, would hurt us almost as bad. Xi isnt scared by this. The only saving grace Taiwan has is China trying figuring out how to get its troops across strait quickly enough.

11 minutes ago, Smax said:

He will never take Ukraine. 

And yeah, if he sets his eyes on doing the same thing to Armenia and Azerbaijan, or even Georgia, he’s likely going to be able to, assuming he has a working military at that point. My guess is he’ll die first. From old age if nothing else. He’s bitten off more than he can chew with Ukraine. He’ll never be rid of this quagmire for as long as Russian forces are stationed there, and as soon as they leave whatever government he’s installed will be deposed. Same thing that happened in Afghanistan for the USSR (or the US, for that matter).

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:

You are awfully cavalier about starting a nuclear conflict.

The red line, since you can't figure it out, is NATO.  

In WWII, a largely conventional war, minus the two bombs in Japan - saw between 45 and 60 MILLION dead civilians.  That is what most are trying to prevent.  WWI, it was in the low teens (civi deaths).  Now lets have the hawks extrapolate out what it would be today if nukes start flying around densely populated cities all over the world.