Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

30 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

My question is under what military doctrine are you letting a lone unit that is extremely vulnerable and yet very valuable just roll out alone, knowing that armor is extremely vulnerable to these hit and run attacks?

No infantry to help hunt down the anti-armor sniper. No infantry that can help scan the skies for UAV/drones.

I get it, life is cheap in war, but in this type of scenario, meat is cheap, metal is not. It is always better to send infantry to support the metal than to leave it alone on an island. It is almost like the old view of battle of sending out a tank to scout because all they have is machine guns and small explosives, while totally ignoring the major evolution in handheld antitank weaponry.

*** And yes, I know that the Ukraine army/militia gets to choose the battlefield for these types of engagements and that the terrain seems to be very helpful in setting up these types of ambushes, but that should make it that much more obvious to not just roll a tank out alone on the road. It is almost like the Russians dont expect the Ukraine to have and use technology to their advantage. Maybe too many commanders that cut their teeth fighting low tech insurgents in Syria ect and nobody still understands the scalable impact of technology in a theater of engagement.

As i watched that, I had to think that whoever was driving that tank probably knew they were dead men driving. Its no secret Javelins have been raping the Russian armour, so they were probably just meandering along with sphinctors clenched at defcon 1. What a shitty way to go. Just wasted lives in some nonsensical, ill thought out invasion. fuck that bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Explanation of Putin's motives by a Russian expert (professor at aggy's government school)

tl;dw version:

1. Plan was to win in 3 days and then collect surrenders.

2. Putin is having issues at home (lots of domestic issues) The invasion was meant as a distraction from problems or an attempt to boost his standing at home;

3. Putin lives in an echo chamber and the people he talks to are dependent on giving him good news in order to keep their positions and/or wealth

4. Compares it to the 1905 war with Japan where the czar thought a quick war with Japan would help with issues at home. 

5. This will embolden his opponents at home even in spite of his attempts to crack down. 

6. Russian society is on the verge of breaking even though he appears "coup-proof" -  the economy is close to collapse within a few weeks once reserves get used up. 

Only fear is something worse than Putin enters the vacuum left over once the dust settles.  Russia is a mafia-esq ruled country, so the options at the top can't be good.  

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Unbelievable if they don't have back up diesel generators for cooling pumps. Nuke Plant 101.

I would assume they do.  How much Diesel reserves do they have to run backup generators?  1 week, 2 weeks????   Additionally, what if the Russians "appropriated" part of the Diesel gas for their tanks and vehicles, then how long can they run the backup generators?

Russia can't supply their own army with Diesel fuel, I can't imagine they are sending extra to the Nuclear Plant...even if it makes sense to do so.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Such a dysfunctional mess.  Blinken said last week we'd send F-16s to backfill the MIGs sent to Ukraine.  But now the Polish government puts out a statement that they're going to give the MiG-29 fleet to the US government and buy replacement F-16s.  Onus on Poland switch back to us.  It's a giant game of hot potato - no one wants to be the one to actually send jets into Ukraine for fear of retaliation but are trying to win political capital for being the one willing to help out.  Just can't get a read on it.  

58 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

China gets involved at that point, and more than just this:

My guess:  China to supply humanitarian aid to the suffering people in Crimea, Donetsk, and Luhansk.  Food, Fuel etc.   Great humanitarians.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I am wondering if this is aimed at those wanting NATO to start a no fly zone, or who want NATO to commit to no further expansion  

Don't give up leverage in twitter.  Save it for the serious negotiation if that is the last point on the table to close the deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Some guy with Covid is going to be hanging out near Chernobyl and create Nuclear Covid. 

But we can’t talk about China’s end game in all this? They are playing chess..not checkers. They had to know the intel long before we did about the build up to the invasion. They knew and backed Russia for this. If I have to take a fucking time out I will do it gladly. Can y’all not see this? 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

But we can’t talk about China’s end game in all this? They are playing chess..not checkers. They had to know the intel long before we did about the build up to the invasion. They knew and backed Russia for this. If I have to take a fucking time out I will do it gladly. Can y’all not see this? 

lol, they knew much about the intel because we gave it to them, who then quickly passed it on Russia.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I said this on day 1.  China wanted Russia to invade.  It helps China whether Putin succeeds or not they get something out of it.

Putin Wins they get info on how far they can go with Taiwan

Putin Loses they get to scoop up Russian assets on the cheap and get access to the raw materials their economy needs.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Such a dysfunctional mess.  Blinken said last week we'd send F-16s to backfill the MIGs sent to Ukraine.  But now the Polish government puts out a statement that they're going to give the MiG-29 fleet to the US government and buy replacement F-16s.  Onus on Poland switch back to us.  It's a giant game of hot potato - no one wants to be the one to actually send jets into Ukraine for fear of retaliation but are trying to win political capital for being the one willing to help out.  Just can't get a read on it.  

yeah, I thought this was a done deal when Blinken said "green light" last week.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We see it. Everyone sees it. China is playing the long game. They always have.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've seen that Ukraine is not breaking out the numbers they claim in terms of KIA/WIA/POW, and if that's true, I can believe that Russia has had 10,000+ soldiers removed from the battlefield -  thousands killed, many thousands more wounded, and hundreds, if not thousands captured or surrendered.  

Ukraine's biggest problem in terms of what you are talking about is that they started out on the defense, which means they have a lot of soldiers in villages/towns that are not contested, as well as in Western Ukraine, while Russia got to pick where they would concentrate their forces and attack.  That has swung back-and-forth in some areas, with Ukraine going on the offensive in some places.  There are probably a lot of Ukrainian soldiers tied up in the West, helping protect their Air Force and getting weapons/aid/etc. to the Dnieper.

Ukraine can win, in that they can make it costly enough that Russia has to leave, but Russia leaving requires somebody other than Putin in the driver's seat.  We are not to that point yet, and Ukraine hasn't even gone full-on insurgency yet (that's where it will get extremely painful).  Russia does not have the infantry to actually occupy the major cities, and because Kyiv etc. are going to be heavy contested, Russia won't be able to conquer those cities.  I've seen conservative estimates that Russia would need 100,000+ infantry (actual infantry, not soldiers with rifles) to surround and take Kyiv and actually hold it.  

I've harped on it before, but I see shit that would not fly in the US Army - I see plenty of rusty/ill-maintained vehicles and equipment, and the tire guy on twitter has commented on how shitty the Russians maintain their vehicles.  I also don't see optics and night vision gear with the Russians for the most part (a few small, elite units have been pictured with one or the other), while I see plenty of Ukrainians with optics and even some night vision is popping up.

My concern is that those holding estimates are based on occupying functional, largely intact cities. It’s a lot easier to hold cities reduced to rubble with a population entirely dependent on the occupying force for basic needs. If they cut Kiev entirely away from external support those millions of people get a lot more pliable. It’s hard to fight when you don’t have food or water. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

My concern is that those holding estimates are based on occupying functional, largely intact cities. It’s a lot easier to hold cities reduced to rubble with a population entirely dependent on the occupying force for basic needs. If they cut Kiev entirely away from external support those millions of people get a lot more pliable. It’s hard to fight when you don’t have food or water. 

they don't have enough to even do that and if you "reduce a city to rubble" you give the locals even more motivation as they have nothing left to lose. 

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Could you imagine Iif the US Army was losing generals and colonels in the first 10 days of Iraq or Afghanistan, what the shitstorm would be like?

From 2 days ago, pretty cool if true

The hacking collective Anonymous today hacked into the Russian streaming services Wink and Ivi (like Netflix) and live TV channels Russia 24, Channel One, Moscow 24 to broadcast war footage from Ukraine

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So running a bit late today and getting up to speed. Just want to say Fuck Putin. Bombing hospitals? Shelling evacuation corridors. Fuck him. 

CNN showed a bombed out maternity ward in Kyiv. Just fuckin brutal. War crimes left and right.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So running a bit late today and getting up to speed. Just want to say Fuck Putin. Bombing hospitals? Shelling evacuation corridors. Fuck him. 

Yeah, it’s been particularly bad in Maruipol. Three consecutive cease fires negotiated with the International Red Cross cut short by Russian forces shelling the humanitarian corridor. Definitely sending a message. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, it’s been particularly bad in Maruipol. Three consecutive cease fires negotiated with the International Red Cross cut short by Russian forces shelling the humanitarian corridor. Definitely sending a message. 

Serb strategy revisited. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Balls of steel. 

Looks like they really broke the Ukrainian spirit in Kherson, doesn’t it?

If you’re a Russian soldier, a political operative, or one of their riot police, you have to be thinking, “How are we supposed to hold this shit.”

That right there is a morale breaker. You start doing the bare minimum your job requires of you. All you can think about is how long until I can get the fuck out of here. The sadists won’t think that way, and there’s always some of them, but everyone else will.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

As bad as it’s been it will get much worse.  Grozny is the blueprint.  It’s coming.  

One thing about Russia people tend to gloss over is their relentlessness.  It’s ultimately what wore the Wehrmacht down.  They couldn’t match the numbers or willingness to lose enormous numbers of casualties.  That is part of the National identity.

Hell the siege of Leningrad resulted in a million civilian deaths on their side.   They celebrate it.  They go after anyone who dares question if the city should have been surrendered.  

So no, civilians are a) fair game too them and b) useful pawns to create issues for the defenders.

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Reports that RU factories are already shutting down from lack of parts thanks to modern logistics reducing the need for warehouses.

Yeah, JIT processes really help efficiency, but it sure decreases the robustness of the system. Don’t really have an option but to implement them, but it sure sucks when there are glitches in the supply chain. 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Looks like they really broke the Ukrainian spirit in Kherson, doesn’t it?

If you’re a Russian soldier, a political operative, or one of their riot police, you have to be thinking, “How are we supposed to hold this shit.”

That right there is a morale breaker. You start doing the bare minimum your job requires of you. All you can think about is how long until I can get the fuck out of here. The sadists won’t think that way, and there’s always some of them, but everyone else will.

In all these videos something to note is a all of the perfectly accented, Russian as a first language invective being hurled at the liberators.  This ain’t the divided Ukraine we’ve been told about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

We need a severe response and/or line drawn for the war crimes, too. 

Anyone else think that we should avoid having meetings like this at Versailles?   I mean, I'm not advocating doing it at the Four Seasons Landscaping back lot but some place less, you know, tied to past bad ideas.

Edited by Macanudo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:

As bad as it’s been it will get much worse.  Grozny is the blueprint.  It’s coming.  

One thing about Russia people tend to gloss over is their relentlessness.  It’s ultimately what wore the Wehrmacht down.  They couldn’t match the numbers or willingness to lose enormous numbers of casualties.  That is part of the National identity.

Hell the siege of Leningrad resulted in a million civilian deaths on their side.   They celebrate it.  They go after anyone who dares question if the city should have been surrendered.  

So no, civilians are a) fair game too them and b) useful pawns to create issues for the defenders.

Here's the challenge -- the ties/similarities between Russians and Ukrainians are a real-deal, and they are intense.  We are tribal animals, but for a large percentage (majority?) of Russian troops, Ukrainians are of the same "tribe."  When you are getting yelled at, berated, and hated by your cousins, it wears on you.  And when you are the INVADER, and you know it, it wears on you.

That may end up being pretty hard on Russian morale.  It's easier to justify the fight when there are actual soldiers fighting back.  But when every grandmother walking by spits on the ground at your feet and tells you she wishes you were dead, and she looks and sounds just like YOUR grandmother, that takes a toll.

It was easy for Russia to operate in and invade Ukraine because they are so closely connected.

It will be hard for Russia to destroy and brutally subjugate Ukraine because they are so closely connected.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Anyone else think that we should avoid having meetings like this at Versailles?   I mean, I'm not advocating doing it at the Four Seasons Landscaping back lot but some place less, you know, tied to past bad ideas.

Well....I mean.....Yalta seems to be currently unavailable for such a meeting, so....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

You’re right, but they’re going against a people with the same culture and the same mentality. And Russia doesn’t have the overwhelming population it used to have contextually. 144 million is not a massive base to draw from.

I get the feeling Ukraine is perfectly willing to make Kharkiv and Kyiv their Volgograd. Odesa, too. You hear the rhetoric coming out of that sea port and you feel like they’re willing to die to the last man.

But I’m right there with you that it’s going to get worse. Just shell these cities into submission. Sarajevo blueprint, too. Same mindset.

One of the Twitter threads posted this morning was saying that Russia needs to get some of their critical missions done before the foreign volunteers and reservists can be moved to the front with western lethal aid in hand and start making a big impact on Russian lines spread too thin. Don’t know how accurate the analysis was, but I found it interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's the challenge -- the ties/similarities between Russians and Ukrainians are a real-deal, and they are intense.  We are tribal animals, but for a large percentage (majority?) of Russian troops, Ukrainians are of the same "tribe."  When you are getting yelled at, berated, and hated by your cousins, it wears on you.  And when you are the INVADER, and you know it, it wears on you.

That may end up being pretty hard on Russian morale.  It's easier to justify the fight when there are actual soldiers fighting back.  But when every grandmother walking by spits on the ground at your feet and tells you she wishes you were dead, and she looks and sounds just like YOUR grandmother, that takes a toll.

It was easy for Russia to operate in and invade Ukraine because they are so closely connected.

It will be hard for Russia to destroy and brutally subjugate Ukraine because they are so closely connected.

Yeah, you and I posted much the same thing. 

Remember, Ukraine is literally considered the birthplace of the Russian ethnicity, culture and Orthodoxy. They came in with the expectation they were liberators. It’s going to be tough to maintain that cognitive dissonance when faced with screaming babushkas everywhere spitting in your face. 

• Like 1