Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

That is why I brought up unemployment in a country that already has economic issues if you are not an Oligarch. 

Russia's unemployment rate edged up to a five-month high of 4.4 percent in January of 2022, from 4.3 percent in the previous month, as the number of unemployed people rose by 76 thousand from a month earlier to 3.296 million and those officially registered as unemployed declined by 62 thousand to 0.857 million.

Ruble tanked.  Has the Sharpie-in-the-Butt Russian webcam girl asking price fallen as well?  

Bloomberg is worthless. 

5 hours ago, Fico said:

I'm sure I am in the minority, but I think it's just as important for Putin to encircle the entrenched regular Ukrainian army stuck on the border of the breakaway regions and offer no quarter. That would go a long way of accomplishing his goal demilitarizing the Ukraine. Further it would take away a bit chunk of their young male population, I am sure some of the best and brightest, and setting Ukraine back for a generation(s?). 

I hope like hell I am wrong but I don't see anyway they army will be able to withdraw back to a more reinforceable and suppliable position without getting devastated during the pullback. Here's to hoping the flanks can hold and keep a corridor open to those troops. 

Russia doesn't have the manpower to truly occupy those parts of Ukraine that you are talking about, without sacrificing their attempts at Kyiv and anywhere outside of those areas.  I don't have the map handy, but Russia doesn't even occupy nearly as much territory as a lot of people think they do - they may control roads, and they may control small villages and some bases, but there's a huge different between controlling and occupying, and if they aren't actually occupying the areas into between those road networks and those villages/bases, that's just more area for the Ukrainian farmers to lay in wait for them to abandon more vehicles.

And the thing is, the more Russia pushes out from the Ukrainian eastern/northern border, the more tenuous their control over certain areas will be, including as they stretch their supply lines out.  We already know they don't have the. manpower or the competence to guard their convoys as it is, and this will only make it worse for them, plus what ShaggyBevo RIP mentioned:

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Damn, Oprah already there doing the you get a TOW and you get TOW and you get a TOW.

While they aren't TOWs, NATO/etc. have apparently put over 10,000 anti-tank/vehicle missiles into Ukraine already, and a couple of thousand Stingers as well, with more on the way.

So Russia can ship in another 1,000 tanks for instance, but there will be thousands of ATGMs all over Ukraine, waiting to be pulled out and used, and apparently the Ukrainian military has set up a fantastic communications system and are getting information about troop movements to the relevant people, plus our CIA is getting a shit-ton of info to them as well, plus Ukrainian civilians are making sure the troops know where Russian vehicles are.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russia doesn't have the manpower to truly occupy those parts of Ukraine that you are talking about, without sacrificing their attempts at Kyiv and anywhere outside of those areas.  I don't have the map handy, but Russia doesn't even occupy nearly as much territory as a lot of people think they do - they may control roads, and they may control small villages and some bases, but there's a huge different between controlling and occupying, and if they aren't actually occupying the areas into between those road networks and those villages/bases, that's just more area for the Ukrainian farmers to lay in wait for them to abandon more vehicles.

And the thing is, the more Russia pushes out from the Ukrainian eastern/northern border, the more tenuous their control over certain areas will be, including as they stretch their supply lines out.  We already know they don't have the. manpower or the competence to guard their convoys as it is, and this will only make it worse for them, plus what ShaggyBevo RIP mentioned:

While they aren't TOWs, NATO/etc. have apparently put over 10,000 anti-tank/vehicle missiles into Ukraine already, and a couple of thousand Stingers as well, with more on the way.

So Russia can ship in another 1,000 tanks for instance, but there will be thousands of ATGMs all over Ukraine, waiting to be pulled out and used, and apparently the Ukrainian military has set up a fantastic communications system and are getting information about troop movements to the relevant people, plus our CIA is getting a shit-ton of info to them as well, plus Ukrainian civilians are making sure the troops know where Russian vehicles are.

What are your thoughts on the Black Sea/ Odessa surge (with the war ships)? 

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

After the previous experience with the RU they put in a lot of old fashion wired lines. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Drool 1

Saw an interview with a CIA veteran of Afghanistan in the 1980s, and he said Ukraine is light years ahead of where the Mujahideen were for the first few years in terms of equipment, communications, and training, and that Russia is far less prepared for a full-blown insurgency than they were during the 1980s.  He also said NATO running their trucks to the border and getting so many missiles into the hands of Ukrainian soldiers and militia is stunning compared to Afghanistan in the 1980s.  He said he'd be surprised to see Russian helicopters operating away from the border areas going forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

Russia seems like they lie a lot.  I asked them if they were targeting civilians.  They said ‘no’, so I believed them and broadcasted my newfound friendly information to the world.  

Years ago ina National Geographic issue about Russia it talked about this. Culturally, lying is what you’re supposed to do because Russians view everything as gray and there’s no black or white. They believe everything is a lie and it’s an acceptable act to gain advantage.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

What are your thoughts on the Black Sea/ Odessa surge (with the war ships)? 

I agree with the military analysts who say that it seems like these naval/marine units are just conducting these operations just to conduct them, and don't have any real strategic value nor strategic objectives.  They're just a, "See? We're doing our part! We're getting in the fight, too! We're important!" and doing this for "show," except no one is watching.

You know, Muledick.

• Hook 'Em 1

If Russia objects over the MIGs being sent. The argument should be that humanitarian corridors are being attacked even though a ceasefire has been enacted. The MIGs have been sent to help enforce the ceasefires agreed upon by both parties. We are sure that Russian forces are acting on their own, and not under direction from Moscow. Surely their Superiors in Moscow would want these corridors "enforced" at "all costs" to prevent humanitarian catastrophes. The Ukrainians flying these aircraft have been instructed to only enforce humanitarian corridors, but we have no say in what missions are conducted, if any, between agreed upon ceasefires.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

WTF is a Chekist?

The Cheka was the first incarnation of what is now commonly known as the KGB.  It's where Felix Dzerzhinsky started.

So, a Chekist was an uber-loyal, ultra-political cop/spy type.  That is, a Putin before politics.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Saw an interview with a CIA veteran of Afghanistan in the 1980s, and he said Ukraine is light years ahead of where the Mujahideen were for the first few years in terms of equipment, communications, and training, and that Russia is far less prepared for a full-blown insurgency than they were during the 1980s.  He also said NATO running their trucks to the border and getting so many missiles into the hands of Ukrainian soldiers and militia is stunning compared to Afghanistan in the 1980s.  He said he'd be surprised to see Russian helicopters operating away from the border areas going forward.

I absolutely believe all that, the two downsides compared to Afghanistan off the top of my head are obviously the terrain & lack of heavy transportation infrastructure in was a huge benefit to the mujahideen. Secondly the advancement of technology to track and surveil people/ISR, granted that advantage works both ways. 

Edited by Fico

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fair points, and agree that the focus will have to be Kyiv or the UAF in the Dombas, the Russians can't execute on both simultaneously. I think we all agree the focus is Kyiv. IMO the questions then become, if they can seize Kyiv (and I am no way convinced they can) how long does it take, what are the casualties, and how much do they have to leave behind as an occupying force? Do they have the reserves and capability to get them into the field (also highly questionable) to be able to make a second big operational push? I agree with you and have my doubts. 

My concern is how dug in the UAF is in the Donbas and if they are under air attack and artillery shelling this whole time, will they have the forces to hold off an encirclement if it comes to that point. I hope we never have to find out. 

Map

I think we agree this map overstates the Russian position, but the Ukrainian Army is somewhat on an island, and the push for the Russians isn't overly far into Ukrainian territory to pull of an encirclement of troops there. Again, hope I am acting like tuttle tom fucking this whole line of thinking up.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And some FAFO on Putin's part.  He's now mentioned a few times in the past 24 hours that Putin is fucked, and I don't know if it's a warning to the Russian leadership (outside of Putin) or just warning everybody that things are going to get worse.

Marco to Putin:

4F04C36B-8974-4016-AC26-0BE452411193.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Fico said:

I think we all agree the focus is Kyiv. IMO the questions then become, if they can seize Kyiv (and I am no way convinced they can) how long does it take, what are the casualties, and how much do they have to leave behind as an occupying force? Do they have the reserves and capability to get them into the field (also highly questionable) to be able to make a second big operational push? I agree with you and have my doubts. 

I don't think they'll ever actually occupy Kyiv, or come close to controlling it.  I think they will try and just level it, and claim the eastern and possibly coastal areas, and try to force Ukraine to the table.

Putin is just not very imaginative at all.

But if they are going to try and take Kyiv and any other areas, they have to stop the massive flow of anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles, which Rubio addressed tonight as well.  But the flip side to that is that the Russians would have to get down close to be accurate, and it would be very easy for the Ukrainians to have some decoy trucks loaded up with guys and Stingers just waiting for Russian aircraft to make an appearance.

• Hook 'Em 1