Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

38 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

China's economy is 10x as big as Russia's. They are quickly becoming 'too big to fail' as the world likes cheap goods.

Not becoming.  Became.  Any talks of sanctions, etc of China would not fly.  They have us any many others by the short hairs and they know it.  

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-war-breaking-news-live-russia-putin-zelensky-latest-updates-1685805?preview=1#live-blog-12515

3 min ago
15:27 PM EST
Johnson Calls for Reconstruction Fund for Ukraine
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson called on leaders of the Visegrad Group Tuesday to develop a reconstruction fund to aid Ukraine following the war.

The group, also called V4, is comprised of Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia. Leaders met Tuesday to discuss the Ukraine crisis at Lancaster House in London.

Johnson called for a "Marshall Plan for Ukraine" to help with rebuilding efforts, the Financial Times reports.

"We will employ every method we can for however long it takes to ensure Putin's invasion fails and Ukraine is free once more," Johnson said earlier Tuesday.

An associate of Johnson's said the plan could be financed, in part, by the alienated property of Russian oligarchs, the Kyiv Independent reports.

The Marshall Plan was a U.S. program that provided foreign aid to Western Europe after World War II. The program was crafted by U.S. Secretary of State George Marshall and enacted in 1948. Also called the European Recovery Program, it provided over $15 billion in rebuilding efforts to several European countries.

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Sounds to me like this (regarding Polands tweet about the mig-29’s):

Ukraine is going to get some migs pretty quickly and nobody will know.

The world thinks there are some migs at rammstein.

Also we will probably never have any way of knowing how much NATO has helped them behind the scenes. This insurgency stuff keeps popping up so I wonder how much of it is going to be a full scale assault on the Russians in Ukraine. I mean we will never really know everything going on and I’m cool with that to an extent but…it seems to me that we’ve perhaps decided Putin is not going to back down or negotiate in realistic terms at all. 

China sure backed the wrong fucking country.

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

I was about to say, you've never read the wives thread

To date, new car, less than a year old - she has scratched the hood TWICE, f'ed up a side mirror backing out of the garage and ran over the GD mailbox that has not moved in a decade.....

"I was in a hurry...ahhhhh"

O0adam.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

How exactly does it get stuck sideways?  Was my wife driving the damn thing?

The visibility in a buttoned up tank is super shitty. At night it’s even shittier, even with NVGs.

/csb

My dad’s unit had a guy drive a tank off the edge of a depression during training at NTC. Tank commander was riding halfway out of the hatch and the tank rolled over on him pinning him. Blood trapped in the top half of his body and blew him up like a balloon before killing him.  

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

The visibility in a buttoned up tank is super shitty. At night it’s even shittier, even with NVGs.

/csb

My dad’s unit had a guy drive a tank off the edge of a depression during training at NTC. Tank commander was riding halfway out of the hatch and the tank rolled over on him pinning him. Blood trapped in the top half of his body and blew him up like a balloon before killing him.  

Oh damn....

Mt friend that was the Abrams driver told a story of a driver getting killed (warning story to new drivers) because he was riding high, out of the hatch trying to see where they were going and the main gun depressed quickly on his head.  Like having a piano dropped on your head.....awful stuff.  

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

How exactly does it get stuck sideways?  Was my wife driving the damn thing?

No, she wasn't.

We know this, because before the dust even settled, she'd have issued a rant all about how it was actually YOUR fault that she drove the tank into a giant-ass ditch that can be seen from space.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Can the UA pilots operate western planes?  

image.gif.07b432930a61aff9e8ba605118e9ff21.gif

In seriousness, flying would probably be the easy part…employing it as a weapons system, understanding the radar or other sensors, performance envelope of the plane and missiles, etc would be the biggest challenge.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Brisketexan said:

No, she wasn't.

We know this, because before the dust even settled, she'd have issued a rant all about how it was actually YOUR fault that she drove the tank into a giant-ass ditch that can be seen from space.

There also would be a piece of the garage door stuck to the back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Make them work 40-60 hours a week, feed them good and pay them some.  All in compliance with the Geneva Convention of course.

ETA

This regards what to do with the POW's.  Get some work out of them, but make them REAL glad they surrendered. 

Edited by Parliament

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, she wasn't.

And you interrupted her while she was texting her best friends to setup a livestream of her driving the tank. 

And she can't do that now, and "It's allllll your fault!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m still excited! I thought this particular deal was DOA. It’s incredible how the world has really come together over this invasion/war by Russia. Obviously, given the response and solidarity for Ukraine with citizens all over the world their countries leaders are taking note as well. Not that they weren’t from the beginning…but Ukraine has support from people all over. It’s being noted.

In other weird ass news Russell Wilson is now a Bronco? 

It'll be interesting to see how he does with an actual offensive line.

Wait... what? Oh, sorry, distracted...

• Haha 1

heh the Yugo --> Ferrari comment made me laugh
WarZone article above hit on a few of the options Poland may be offered to get them to agree to this kind of deal:
  • forward deploy US aircraft to Poland
  • provide surplus F-16 from US stock or ally
  • divert some new Block 70 F-16s to Poland (currently have a multiyear waiting period for new orders)
  • speed up Poland's F-35 procurement order, or offer additional aircraft at a discount - they ordered 32 at a cost of $4.6 b
  • procure MiG-29s from elsewhere and transfer to Poland
based on where we stand now, and what is best for Poland from a Polish standpoint, i would think it's going to be some combo of forward deployment + F35 discounts/speed up + backfill some of those MiGs?
Text from relevant part of the article highlighting these options

Spoiler

Then again, if the U.S. can make the deal sweet enough, maybe Poland would take the risk. Such an arrangement could include U.S. fighter aircraft being temporarily forward-deployed to Poland to make up for the gap left by the MiG-29 force. While U.S. fighter capabilities in the region are already overstretched in some regards, this would help alleviate any air defense shortcomings Poland would experience from such a deal.
In their place, the decades-old MiG-29s could be offset by surplus F-16s provided by the United States. They could come from U.S. stocks, which would not be as straightforward in the near term as some would think, or from an ally that has surplus F-16 aircraft for sale. Much of the latter have been snapped up by other NATO members as of late who are transitioning from old Soviet-era gear and by the U.S. private adversary air support marketplace

New order Block 70 F-16s are now in very high demand with a multi-year waiting period. Even if some orders could be diverted to Poland, which is highly unlikely as countries who are waiting for their F-16s have their own pressing military challenges to deal with, they would not start showing up for quite some time.
No matter where they would come from, it will take some time to get them delivered and get Polish crews trained to fly and support them. Poland flies the much more modern Block 52+ F-16C/D. While the type has much in common with earlier block Vipers, they are far from totally the same and would require specific training and logistical support to reach full operational capability in Polish hands. The U.S. also has Block 52 aircraft, but they are some of the youngest in the USAF's inventory and have been upgraded to U.S. standards. These aircraft serve in critical operational roles, as well as flying with the USAF Thunderbirds. Aside from the Thunderbirds, forking over these aircraft would disrupt USAF air combat capabilities until they could be replaced by F-35 or F-15EX fighters, and they still are not identical to the F-16s Poland flies today.
message-editor%2F1646612332572-b-52_works_with_polish_f-16s.jpeg?quality=60 USAF Polish F-16C Block 52+.
The other possibility is that the U.S. offers to speed up Poland’s F-35 procurement of 32 aircraft and even offers those additional aircraft at a discount in exchange for the MiG-29s. This would be tricky, but it could be enticing enough to Poland to invite more risk in the short term for extra high-end combat capability in the long term.
It’s also possible that MiG-29s could be acquired from a different source and then transferred through Poland. What country would want to get involved at all by forking over its MiG-29s for this conflict is a big question. And nothing like this would be able to occur in the very near term.
  Finally, as we have stated previously, this entire conversation becomes more realistic when smaller numbers of aircraft are discussed. For instance, the idea that Poland could send say a half dozen MiG-29s to Ukraine instead of liquidating its entire fleet is far more palatable and wouldn't have the massive operational impacts we are discussing here. Offsetting that smaller loss in combat capability is simply far easier to contend with. 

Only a few units in the US fly block 50/52s (the main difference is powerplant). Shaw, McEntire ANG, Spangdalehm AB come to mind. If the polish thing they are getting 50/52s in return for Migs they're crazy.

I do see an arms deal being done with some JDAMs/AMRAAM, AIM-9s. And them throwing in some block 40s or something.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Make them work 40-60 hours a week, feed them good and pay them some.  All in compliance with the Geneva Convention of course.

ETA

This regards what to do with the POW's.  Get some work out of them, but make them REAL glad they surrendered. 

I’d prefer the German approach:

”Sorry your CiC is an asshole, but your military actions were questionable.  So we are going to find your family and murder you all in front of one another.”

Only way these kinds of animal-people listen.  

8 hours ago, Homercles said:

Do they use gaseous tritium and deuterium in their booster fission weapons/stages?  If so I thought that had to be replaced something like every 6-10 years at most.  Otherwise it decays to helium which will poison the fission.  

Those things are conditioners.  It helps with fission but not needed.  It's like shampoo.  You still get clean hair but without the conditioner you might not get that extra shine.  As far as I know helium does not contain the property to act as any sort of poison.  It can't swallow neutrons.  And if it does.  It turns into tritium which is an isotope of helium.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I’d prefer the German approach:

”Sorry your CiC is an asshole, but your military actions were questionable.  So we are going to find your family and murder you all in front of one another.”

Only way these kinds of animal-people listen.  

That might be a bit extreme.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

That might be a bit extreme.

Maybe for you.  That’s why I still keep in touch with family in Argentina.  Our Russian blueprint is still called upon all these decades later.  

There’s an old German saying with regard to either Russia or money.  Getting the first 8 million is always the hardest

3 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Only a few units in the US fly block 50/52s (the main difference is powerplant). Shaw, McEntire ANG, Spangdalehm AB come to mind. If the polish thing they are getting 50/52s in return for Migs they're crazy.

I do see an arms deal being done with some JDAMs/AMRAAM, AIM-9s. And them throwing in some block 40s or something.

The details I haven't been able to find on this deal are:

Armaments: The Polish MIGs can't go in unarmed -- they'd be sitting ducks, so is Poland going to provide their munitions?
Rammstein isn't going to have anything that will work on MIGs, or did some country donate those and they're already sitting at Rammstein waiting for the MIGs?

Also: White-Knuckle-Time that the ruskies don't retaliate militarily directly at US forces somewhere in the world & start WWIII over this.

• Rage+1 1

Russia seems like they lie a lot.  I asked them if they were targeting civilians.  They said ‘no’, so I believed them and broadcasted my newfound friendly information to the world.  

1 minute ago, FartingMonk said:

Those things are conditioners.  It helps with fission but not needed.  It's like shampoo.  You still get clean hair but without the conditioner you might not get that extra shine.  As far as I know helium does not contain the property to act as any sort of poison.  It can't swallow neutrons.  And if it does.  It turns into tritium which is an isotope of helium.

Well if your warhead is a 2-stage design then you’re depending on the booster primary to ‘ignite’ the fusion secondary…it’d obviously be a disaster if even one detonated, but it may be a bit of a fizzle.  But if it’s just a booster fission weapon then yeah, same as dialing down the yield.  I thought tritium decayed to helium-3 as a neutron poison due to a large neutron cross section and needed periodic replacement in warheads.  

Been awhile since I’ve read about that stuff though.  

Pepsi just announced they're out too. Prior to 1984 (edit, not sure on the year, maybe '88) all USSR had was Pepsi products -- now they won't even have that.

One the one hand, good for them. Who needs sugar water. On the other hand, haha take that, bitches!

Also, breaking, Starbucks is out of there too.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1