Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

9 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

https://time.com/6155670/foreign-fighters-ukraine-europe/

Meet the Foreign Volunteers Risking Their Lives to Defend Ukraine—and Europe

(behind a paywall, so Ctl+A > Ctil+C > then open notepad/wordpad > Ctrl+V)

dude got an easier way that does this for you!

txtify.it > the your link

https://txtify.it/https://time.com/6155670/foreign-fighters-ukraine-europe/

same concept as 12ft.io > your link (which doesn't work on time for whatever reason)

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Have you seen her ranch? It's apparently the size of Luxembourg...

The reparations thing is from the same line of Bad Idea Jeans as a NATO no-fly zone. You can't get blood from a stone and if you try you breed a whole new generation of haters. I mean didn't we learn anything from Versailles? Or how the Marshall Plan was a better way to go? 

Not only this, but it’s fanciful thinking. 

Even with all the setbacks Russia is still more likely to be able to install a puppet government than not. And as long as Putin is in charge, the greater the losses on the Russian side, the likelier a nuclear weapon is discharged. 

You already have Zelensky admitting to many of Russian demands - no NATO admission, Crimea and the Donbas region permanently with Russia. 

I don’t know where people are getting the idea that reparations are going to be a part of a settlement. I guess like you’re saying - the same place as the no fly zone. 

I will say Russia paying reparations, while illusionary, are still more realistic than a no fly zone. 

Oh, and I told you Putin would turn Ukraine cities into Grozny. We haven’t even seen the worst of it yet.  But I absolutely agree with you regarding reparations being unrealistic, as well as a poor lesson from history. 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m still excited! I thought this particular deal was DOA. It’s incredible how the world has really come together over this invasion/war by Russia. Obviously, given the response and solidarity for Ukraine with citizens all over the world their countries leaders are taking note as well. Not that they weren’t from the beginning…but Ukraine has support from people all over. It’s being noted.

In other weird ass news Russell Wilson is now a Bronco? 

Poland shows a lot of courage doing that.  Good for them.  Baller.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

dude got an easier way that does this for you!

txtify.it > the your link

https://txtify.it/https://time.com/6155670/foreign-fighters-ukraine-europe/

same concept as 12ft.io > your link (which doesn't work on time for whatever reason)

Thanks. Love this sentiment. 

the 24-year-old
bartender from Kaunas, Lithuania had a document with a QR code and
instructions on where along the Polish border he should show up. He
was registered to go fight against Russian troops in their bloody war
on Ukraine. “I have the fitness, the youth, and the training—it
would be selfish of me not to use it,” he says. “If rockets are
wasted on me instead of some children, I’ll take that deal
anytime.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

lol at poland jumping on these trades. 

yes, yes, ukraine, i'll give you whatever yugos we have.  that's how big of a heart we have.  all we ask is the US gives us their ferraris.  

heh the Yugo --> Ferrari comment made me laugh

WarZone article above hit on a few of the options Poland may be offered to get them to agree to this kind of deal:

• forward deploy US aircraft to Poland
  • provide surplus F-16 from US stock or ally
  • divert some new Block 70 F-16s to Poland (currently have a multiyear waiting period for new orders)
  • speed up Poland's F-35 procurement order, or offer additional aircraft at a discount - they ordered 32 at a cost of $4.6 b
  • procure MiG-29s from elsewhere and transfer to Poland

based on where we stand now, and what is best for Poland from a Polish standpoint, i would think it's going to be some combo of forward deployment + F35 discounts/speed up + backfill some of those MiGs?

Text from relevant part of the article highlighting these options

Spoiler

Then again, if the U.S. can make the deal sweet enough, maybe Poland would take the risk. Such an arrangement could include U.S. fighter aircraft being temporarily forward-deployed to Poland to make up for the gap left by the MiG-29 force. While U.S. fighter capabilities in the region are already overstretched in some regards, this would help alleviate any air defense shortcomings Poland would experience from such a deal.

In their place, the decades-old MiG-29s could be offset by surplus F-16s provided by the United States. They could come from U.S. stocks, which would not be as straightforward in the near term as some would think, or from an ally that has surplus F-16 aircraft for sale. Much of the latter have been snapped up by other NATO members as of late who are transitioning from old Soviet-era gear and by the U.S. private adversary air support marketplace

New order Block 70 F-16s are now in very high demand with a multi-year waiting period. Even if some orders could be diverted to Poland, which is highly unlikely as countries who are waiting for their F-16s have their own pressing military challenges to deal with, they would not start showing up for quite some time.

No matter where they would come from, it will take some time to get them delivered and get Polish crews trained to fly and support them. Poland flies the much more modern Block 52+ F-16C/D. While the type has much in common with earlier block Vipers, they are far from totally the same and would require specific training and logistical support to reach full operational capability in Polish hands. The U.S. also has Block 52 aircraft, but they are some of the youngest in the USAF's inventory and have been upgraded to U.S. standards. These aircraft serve in critical operational roles, as well as flying with the USAF Thunderbirds. Aside from the Thunderbirds, forking over these aircraft would disrupt USAF air combat capabilities until they could be replaced by F-35 or F-15EX fighters, and they still are not identical to the F-16s Poland flies today.

message-editor%2F1646612332572-b-52_work
USAF

Polish F-16C Block 52+.

The other possibility is that the U.S. offers to speed up Poland’s F-35 procurement of 32 aircraft and even offers those additional aircraft at a discount in exchange for the MiG-29s. This would be tricky, but it could be enticing enough to Poland to invite more risk in the short term for extra high-end combat capability in the long term.

It’s also possible that MiG-29s could be acquired from a different source and then transferred through Poland. What country would want to get involved at all by forking over its MiG-29s for this conflict is a big question. And nothing like this would be able to occur in the very near term.

Finally, as we have stated previously, this entire conversation becomes more realistic when smaller numbers of aircraft are discussed. For instance, the idea that Poland could send say a half dozen MiG-29s to Ukraine instead of liquidating its entire fleet is far more palatable and wouldn't have the massive operational impacts we are discussing here. Offsetting that smaller loss in combat capability is simply far easier to contend with. 

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Thanks. Love this sentiment. 

the 24-year-old
bartender from Kaunas, Lithuania had a document with a QR code and
instructions on where along the Polish border he should show up. He
was registered to go fight against Russian troops in their bloody war
on Ukraine. “I have the fitness, the youth, and the training—it
would be selfish of me not to use it,” he says. “If rockets are
wasted on me instead of some children, I’ll take that deal
anytime.”

I lived in Kaunas for a year in the early aughts. 

I know it has modernized quite nicely over the past 20 years, but if one thing is for certain: you don't want to fight with bartenders from Kaunas. And you definitely don't want to fight with bartenders from Kaunas who feel compelled by righteous anger.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Shady Ray said:

I know it has modernized quite nicely over the past 20 years, but if one thing is for certain: you don't want to fight with bartenders from Kaunas. And you definitely don't want to fight with bartenders from Kaunas who feel compelled by righteous anger.

Tallinn

Riga

Kaunas

Vilnius

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Even with all the setbacks Russia is still more likely to be able to install a puppet government than not.

Install maybe. Keep - no way. Best case scenario for Russia at this point isn't so great for them. In fact, as a country, Russia would be best to settle with the Ukranians and the West and then rebuild their own country.

• Like 1

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

Lol how the hell is Jaromir Jagr not retired yet? 

Semi retired, he owns the team.  This season he's played pretty much full time, at 1/2 point per game, so at that level he can still play, especially on the power play.  Sadly, the mullet is fully retired it seems.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Semi retired, he owns the team.  This season he's played pretty much full time, at 1/2 point per game, so at that level he can still play, especially on the power play.  Sadly, the mullet is fully retired it seems.  

he's half a point per game at age 50? hot damn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Install maybe. Keep - no way. Best case scenario for Russia at this point isn't so great for them. In fact, as a country, Russia would be best to settle with the Ukranians and the West and then rebuild their own country.

No doubt. I don’t think a puppet government would last a day at this point without a substantial Russian occupation force, and even that occupation force will suffer horrible losses. 

I’m not sure how much best case scenarios matter. The best case scenario was to not invade in the first place. That’s what made the most common sense. But that’s not what happened, so I don’t think that’s the right way to look at it. The better way is to look at it from Putin’s perspective to the best that we can, and try to foresee what he might do. His #1 objective is to stay in power. His #2 objective is to subjugate Ukraine, despite the difficulties. Since I don’t think he can actually subjugate Ukraine, he’s going to create the greatest amount of fear among Ukrainians and the West as to what he’s ready to do. 

I’ve said it multiple times on here, but unless he’s removed from power somehow I consider the likelihood he’ll deploy a tactical nuke before this is over quite high. Don’t know when that would be.

36 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

lol at poland jumping on these trades. 

yes, yes, ukraine, i'll give you whatever yugos we have.  that's how big of a heart we have.  all we ask is the US gives us their ferraris.  

Can the UA pilots operate western planes?  

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Don't wanna. Can still snipe goals and being on the ice puts butts in seats.

I've always wondered what would happen to a legend if they just decided to keep playing forever. Jagr is showing they're just trash up a lower level with their insane skills. I wanna see a 50 year old LeBron in the G-League.

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Maybe 1 or 2 have done some training, but operational no. That is why the transfer of shit they know how to fly (and aim weapons from) and maintain is critical. These things can go operational day 1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've always wondered what would happen to a legend if they just decided to keep playing forever. Jagr is showing they're just trash up a lower level with their insane skills. I wanna see a 50 year old LeBron in the G-League.

Gordie Howe was how old when he finally hung up the skates?

Edit: 1946-1980

gordie-howe-whalers-si-60-top.jpg

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Ya. China doesn’t fool most of us. They backed the wrong country. Fuck em. I hope whatever their endgame is it is absolutely ruined. They are pieces of dick and I hope it all comes back to cause them great problems in the future. We see you! 

China's economy is 10x as big as Russia's. They are quickly becoming 'too big to fail' as the world likes cheap goods.

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Rickey Henderson was still getting on base and referring to himself in the 3rd person in the Independent Leagues in his mid fixities.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Not well, that’s for sure. And they sure as hell have no chance of supporting them. 

They’re going to have a tough enough job supporting these fighters when they get them. 

I can’t fly, but I have several family members who have made a career of flying (and as instructors), both civilian and military. They’ve told me they can generally fly the planes/helicopters they step into, as long as they’re given basic instructions regarding where the most important gear is. But knowing where the various instrumentation is located is critical.  Obviously the more complicated the more that’s true. More importantly, every plane/helicopter flies drastically differently. It’s important to remember that fighter planes/helicopters are designed to not only be stable in flight, but also for combat purposes. Oftentimes those priorities are at odds. Knowing how to compensate for the inherent instability caused in part by emphasizing their combat prowess is vital, and that can only be done through time in the cockpit. 

An actual military pilot can speak to this a lot better than I can, but I feel comfortable what I’ve posted is true enough. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

And stay the fuck away from the Konotop witches.

FNTnfu7XwAIwC4R?format=jpg&name=small

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Not well, that’s for sure. And they sure as hell have no chance of supporting them. 

They’re going to have a tough enough job supporting these fighters when they get them. 

I can’t fly, but I have several family members who have made a career of flying (and as instructors), both civilian and military. They’ve told me they can generally fly the planes/helicopters they step into, as long as they’re given basic instructions regarding where the most important gear is. But knowing where the various instrumentation is located is critical.  Obviously the more complicated the more that’s true. More importantly, every plane/helicopter flies drastically differently. It’s important to remember that fighter planes/helicopters are designed to not only be stable in flight, but also for combat purposes. Oftentimes those priorities are at odds. Knowing how to compensate for the inherent instability caused in part by emphasizing their combat prowess is vital, and that can only be done through time in the cockpit. 

An actual military pilot can speak to this a lot better than I can, but I feel comfortable what I’ve posted is true enough. 

Although not Ukraine related, this youtube was fascinating. It shows some of the difficulty in flying a plane that you are unfamiliar with.

15 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Gordie Howe was how old when he finally hung up the skates?

Edit: 1946-1980

gordie-howe-whalers-si-60-top.jpg

First and one of maybe five hockey games I've attended: Gordie's Houston Aeros vs the Soviet Red Army circa 1977. Did not end well for the hometown boys -- I think it was someting like 12-1 -- but I got a puck with the Aeros logo on one side and a Pearl beer logo on the other. I might still have that damn thing somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

That's what I assumed.  We could have X-wings and they are no good to the UA pilots.....although I bet they'd make an exception to get their hands on a few A-10's!