Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

57 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

If Russia objects over the MIGs being sent. The argument should be that humanitarian corridors are being attacked even though a ceasefire has been enacted. The MIGs have been sent to help enforce the ceasefires agreed upon by both parties. We are sure that Russian forces are acting on their own, and not under direction from Moscow. Surely their Superiors in Moscow would want these corridors "enforced" at "all costs" to prevent humanitarian catastrophes. The Ukrainians flying these aircraft have been instructed to only enforce humanitarian corridors, but we have no say in what missions are conducted, if any, between agreed upon ceasefires.

CHIEF

Everyone knows that humanitarian corridors are where the nazis hide 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pods said:

MBS is a usurper and not the legitimate ruler of Saudi Arabia. Fuck him. 

I mean, aren’t they all usurpers in the Middle East? That’s kind of how it works in systems with no representative government, and one thing Islam is incompatible with inherently is representative government. 

I’m just not sure how the big complaint of bin Salman can be that he’s a usurper given the history of Saudi Arabia. 

He’s a ruthless murderer who sits on a big pile of oil and doesn’t make loud proclamations about Israel needing to be swept to the sea (although he almost certainly would like to see it happen). They’re also competitors with Iran for influence. Effective foreign policy is messy.

3 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I can't wait for his father to pass and the wahabbis are no longer bound by honor to be aligned with the House of Saud.  

When you say you can’t wait...what does that mean, exactly? As shitty as the House of Saud has been in a hundred different ways, there isn’t going to be a more pro western government coming from their competitors for power. 

The wahhabis will push for a caliphate under Arab hegemony, the same way every committed Muslim Arab has clamored for since the end of the Ottoman Empire., and especially since Nasser. 

Just be glad they’re not actually Fremen being led by Paul Maud’Dib. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

They will allow the Russians to participate as they are not state-sponsored and they are already here.  And I'm guessing quite a few are not going to make much of an effort to go back to Russia from what's being said (apparently some are a little more anti-war than what was said in the statements released below).

FM8E_OJXEAchQJi?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

When you say you can’t wait...what does that mean, exactly? As shitty as the House of Saud has been in a hundred different ways, there isn’t going to be a more pro western government coming from their competitors for power. 

The wahhabis will push for a caliphate under Arab hegemony, the same way every committed Muslim Arab has clamored for since the end of the Ottoman Empire., and especially since Nasser. 

Just be glad they’re not actually Fremen being led by Paul Maud’Dib. 

I just have a hatred for all things Saudi.  Can't say I've ever met a Saudi I liked.    To keep it on topic what is it that Ivan Drago says If he dies he dies?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I think surly should adopt Ukraine as a country. These people are just beyond awesome. We're not...but that's ok. 

After the great Burnt Ends successful football “adoption”, maybe Surly should adopt Russia if we care about Ukraine?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, FartingMonk said:

I just have a hatred for all things Saudi.  Can't say I've ever met a Saudi I liked.    To keep it on topic what is it that Ivan Drago says If he dies he dies?

I don't like them either. Still remember 911 (15 of the 19 hijackers and all of that,) 

Pretty sure the same guy in both tweets: 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I appreciate that. But have you met a committed Wahhabist you liked? You do realize there’s something way worse out there than the assholes running things right now, right?

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I don't like them either. Still remember 911 (15 of the 19 hijackers and all of that,) 

But Nicole, the hijackers were Wahabbists. @FartingMonk is saying he can hardly wait until the ultra fundamentalists who have been fomenting attacks on the US for decades overthrow the Saudis and take power. 

Make no mistake. The Saudi ruler and his cohorts are grade A assholes. But they’re light years better than the alternative. It’s like Carter feeling like the Shah was a shithead - which he was - and so he undermined him and rooted for Khomeni to take power. Not a little like that. Almost exactly like that except the Sunni version rather than the Shiite version. 

Here’s an article about it. It’s a little propaganda-ish, but it is from the AP. Just a little too rah rah for me and speaks about bin Salman and his regime in glowing terms in ways I don’t agree with it. But the basic gist is true regarding some of the breaks between the ruling house and Wahabbism. 

https://apnews.com/article/business-religion-united-states-dubai-middle-east-e45792b7a1db1d9dd16a71c147a29f5b

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

RC Cola and a moon pie makes for a damn good day, and I’ll brook no dissent on that point.

Moon Pie was my grandfather's favorite dessert. I wish we had recorded the stories he told of leaving to be a part of WW2. Somewhere on surly I posted a picture of him in the Navy. He and 3 friends heard on the radio the night previous about Hitler and it being somewhat inevitable as he told it. They met at school the following day and decided they wanted to be a part of it. Made plans to get whatever money they had saved and pool it.  They all left the following night (snuck out so to speak) with just a few dollars that they had. Hitched rides and joined the Navy. CSB don't care...coolest part was in the late 1990's he and the two remaining friends got to graduate from the Mount Pleasant, Texas  Highschool class with the seniors. Standing ovation. None of them were older than 16 when they decided to go fight so obviously didn't officially graduate. I have some great pics of that...just not where I am located currently. Damn. Sorry O/T/. They were his favorites, Moonpies,  for whatever reason. \

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

I'll say again, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (through Rubio's Twitter)  putting Putin on blast is just awesome psy ops. Is every single tweet wordsmithed to convey the EXACT message they want?  Maybe.  Or are they putting it all out there to just blow everything up?  Perhaps.  I dunno, but I really trust those guys.  And I'll forgive Rubio for inadvertently doxing Zelinsky over the weekend.  He gets that mulligan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'll say again, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (through Rubio's Twitter)  putting Putin on blast is just awesome psy ops. Is every single tweet wordsmithed to convey the EXACT message they want?  Maybe.  Or are they putting it all out there to just blow everything up?  Perhaps.  I dunno, but I really trust those guys.  And I'll forgive Rubio for inadvertently doxing Zelinsky over the weekend.  He gets that mulligan.

With Rubio's disciple in being the DoD's mouth piece lately I wouldn't be so sure that wasn't a propaganda red herring. I have a hard time believing Rubio suddenly went off on his own.  I suspect those tweets were time delayed.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I am wondering if this is aimed at those wanting NATO to start a no fly zone, or who want NATO to commit to no further expansion  

9 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

With Rubio's disciple in being the DoD's mouth piece lately I wouldn't be so sure that wasn't a propaganda red herring. I have a hard time believing he suddenly went off on his own.

If he "went on his own" he wouldn't be fed the intel anymore because they would have removed him from the committee. This is definitely coordinated.

Edited by Longhornlove
sticky keyboard
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I am wondering if this is aimed at those wanting NATO to start a no fly zone, or who want NATO to commit to no further expansion  

It’s the only path available. It’s important to send clear signals to Ukrainians themselves, too. Everyone now and then you see pleas regarding the horrors occurring, in a “Please stop this!” type of way. The west is not going to stop this, unfortunately. They’ll try to help Ukraine stop it, but the help is very limited. 

Honestly, the tweets regarding Ukraine has been the most lucid I’ve ever seen Rubin. I’m shocked. Not Russian military incompetence shocked, but shocked nonetheless. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I mean, aren’t they all usurpers in the Middle East? That’s kind of how it works in systems with no representative government, and one thing Islam is incompatible with inherently is representative government. 

I’m just not sure how the big complaint of bin Salman can be that he’s a usurper given the history of Saudi Arabia. 

He’s a ruthless murderer who sits on a big pile of oil and doesn’t make loud proclamations about Israel needing to be swept to the sea (although he almost certainly would like to see it happen). They’re also competitors with Iran for influence. Effective foreign policy is messy.

You clearly want to discuss the Saudis and should go make a thread on it. To quickly address your point, if you don't think he's a usurper, you can take it up with Reuters, but it's a weird hill to die on.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-palace-coup-idUSKBN1A41IS

[quote]“It was a big shock to MbN,” said a Saudi political source close to MbN. “It was a coup. He wasn’t prepared.”

The sources said MbN did not expect to be usurped by the often impulsive Mohammed bin Salman, who MbN considered to have made a number of policy blunders, such as his handling of the Yemen conflict and cutting financial benefits to civil servants."[/quote]

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

He inadvertently tweeted that he was meeting with Zalinsky last week, despite being asked specifically not to.  (It was a security risk.)  Beyond that, I won't go CR in defending him.

its not CR. Zelenskyy met with both sides of the US Congress a few days ago under the explicit condition they keep that under wraps. Rubio and Scott both tweeted out they were on a "phone call" with Zeneskyy. It pisses me off. I read Rubio's tweets because of his position with the Intelligence Committee. I assume (never assume) that his tweets are sanctioned. I have no idea honestly. But if Rubio were tweeting out of turn regardless of his position on the Intelligence Committee (VP I think) he'd be booted off. So much of this is PSYOPS it is hard to know what to believe. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

You clearly want to discuss the Saudis and should go make a thread on it. To quickly address your point, if you don't think he's a usurper, you can take it up with Reuters, but it's a weird hill to die on.  

[quote]

“It was a big shock to MbN,” said a Saudi political source close to MbN. “It was a coup. He wasn’t prepared.”

The sources said MbN did not expect to be usurped by the often impulsive Mohammed bin Salman, who MbN considered to have made a number of policy blunders, such as his handling of the Yemen conflict and cutting financial benefits to civil servants."[/quote]

I think it is an excellent idea for a thread doomed to the CR. But still....Oil and gas and where we go from now is an important thread. 

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

[quote]

“It was a big shock to MbN,” said a Saudi political source close to MbN. “It was a coup. He wasn’t prepared.”

Where did I say he’s not a usurper? I said that every ruler in that area is a usurper in one way or another. There’s not an effective representative government in the region, except Israel, and they do it by limiting the Arab vote. It’s certainly tough to find a Muslim in the region who doesn’t consider THEM usurpers. 

How is Saudi Arabia different than Egypt or Syria, or Iran? It’s not a great region of the world to start casting moral judgements on allies, because they’re all bad. 

And I’m not the one who brought up Saudi Arabia. It’s a pertinent subject because there’s simply no way to cut off Russian exports to the world market to any kind of significant degree without huge world disruptions, but if you can get the Saudis on board they give the best chance to minimize them. 

The only reason I keep quoting others about it is there’s this naive view present, “Ooh, Saudis bad, BOOOO Saudis BOOOOOOO!” Which, fine. Boo the Saudis. I’ll certainly join you. But while we’re booing them, just realize there’s something worse out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pods said:

MBS is a usurper and not the legitimate ruler of Saudi Arabia. Fuck him. 

I read today (long form profile on MBS in the Atlantic) that of the last 5 crown princes, only one has made it to King. 2 grew old and died waiting and 2 were out politicked, I guess. It seems very “game of thrones” and being next in line isn’t always a sure thing.

59 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I am in Atlanta...all my shit is in Texas. "All my shit is in Texas..." Somewhere on here I have a picture of him on the battle ship. Farthest left row seventh from the front. 

"All my shit is in Texas" may well be the next great country anthem.  It sure as hell beats the current stuff coming out of Nashville just as a sheer ideology.  Its concept country, no different in spirit than ideas like Dark Side of the Moon.  Also, I've had tenants make claims along these lines.

• Hook 'Em 1