Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Not sure if posted, but a pretty well known British guy i follow on Instagram who was fighting with the UA in Mariupol has been forced to surrender, there’s been reports of him being capture before but they were disproven……this time doesn’t sound so fortunate https://www.thedailybeast.com/aiden-aslin-uk-volunteer-in-ukraine-taken-by-russian-troops-after-hell-of-a-fight

• Rage+1 2

Also I believe Putin said foreign fighters will not be granted POW status? Not sure if that mattered anyway with how they’ve been treating prisoners but doesn’t bode well for the legion guys if they get caught, I hope they don’t make an example of him to dissuade others and that he wasn’t forced to surrender to the Chechens.

This can't be coincidental, can it?

Nokia joins Ericsson as telecom giants leave Russia.

Nokia, whose telecommunications equipment plays an important role providing internet and communications in Russia, said on Tuesday that it was exiting the country because of the invasion of Ukraine.

The announcement came after the company had already suspended deliveries, stopped new business and begun moving research and development work out of Russia because of the war. Nokia, based in Finland, has been a leading manufacturer of telecommunications equipment used by Russian companies to provide internet and wireless services.

Word of the departure closely follows a similar announcement by Ericsson, a rival Swedish telecommunications equipment maker, which said on Monday that it would also exit Russia. The departure of the two companies could cause difficulties as Russia seeks to expand and maintain its telecommunications networks, which are built with equipment from the two firms.

Last month, The New York Times reported on Nokia’s role in allowing its wireless networks to connect to a vast government surveillance apparatus used by the country’s intelligence service. Documents revealed that the company knew how its technology was used as part of the surveillance network, which has been criticized by human rights groups and European courts.

Nokia denied wrongdoing.

On Tuesday, Nokia said it was concerned about deteriorating internet access inside Russia as independent sources of information become harder to find inside the country. Nokia said it was applying for licenses that comply with Western sanctions in order to provide maintenance for existing networks.

The two Nordic firms’ largest telecom rival, the Chinese giant Huawei, has not said whether it will continue to operate inside Russia. Rebuffed by the United States in recent years, it has poured resources into research and development there.

Huawei stands to gain much of the market after Ericsson and Nokia’s departures, but analysts have warned that new sanctions on Russia could limit its ability to work in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

That's how propaganda works.

Try to find any 'shady' past/neo-nazi stories prior to Azov fucking RU's shit up in 2014.

Azov didn't exist prior to 2014.

There is plenty of documentation regarding their ties to far right Nationalism with a blend of Neo-Nazism that doesn't come from Russia.

https://cisac.fsi.stanford.edu/mappingmilitants/profiles/azov-battalion#text_block_33831

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2019/02/15/defend-the-white-race-american-extremists-being-co-opted-by-ukraines-far-right/

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/359609-the-reality-of-neo-nazis-in-the-ukraine-is-far-from-kremlin-propaganda/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Russia getting weapons smuggled in from Iranian backed Iraqi militias.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/12/russia-using-weapons-smuggled-by-iran-from-iraq-against-ukraine

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

I imagine foreign POW's are not treated well by the Russians.

2 hours ago, BrickTop said:

Also I believe Putin said foreign fighters will not be granted POW status? Not sure if that mattered anyway with how they’ve been treating prisoners but doesn’t bode well for the legion guys if they get caught, I hope they don’t make an example of him to dissuade others and that he wasn’t forced to surrender to the Chechens.

Here is how I think Russia will spin it.

1. Ukraine is not a state, it is part of mother Russia
  2. This is not a war it is a counter-terrorist/separatist exercise
  3. so-called "Ukrainians" are really Russians and will be charges with treason or domestic terrorism against the legitimate Russian government
  4. These foreign fighters came to foment unrest in Russia and joined with domestic terrorist organizations
  5. Foreign fighters will be treated like terrorists
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For the hardware nerds, speculation about how warfare could change given Javelins, etc.

They are forgetting about the tiny drone swarms that can enter trenches and place bombs on everyone's temples.

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

If you followed WW 2 in the East, this is SOP for the Russian Army.  

It is.  And it's why the Ukrainians should absolutely cut off the dick of any Russian POW.  Taking their dicks away is no different from taking away their rifle when they surrender.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have read about the atrocities the Red Army committed.  I had, for one, hoped that there had been some improvement since the fall of the USSR.  My hope was futile.

Russia is what Russia was, always has been, and always will be.  A retrograde state of serfs, strongmen, and the occasional amazing artist.  If you look at Russian society and culture broadly at any point in the last several centuries, what you're seeing today is what they are.  Is there any hope that Russia will ever see a material cultural shift?  I don't see one on the horizon, that's for sure.

TLDR: Russia gonna Russia.

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Putin says that take with Ukraine are at a dead end and accuses Ukraine of not doing what it promised in Turkey.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1513867018012966914?s=21&t=m2zjmfVNVfUeaoXwcx1kyw 

Ukraine has one way out of this: kill every Russian soldier they can.  It's total war, and anyone who wants to fantasize or wish otherwise is engaging in a game of denial and pretend.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ukraine has one way out of this: kill every Russian soldier they can.  It's total war, and anyone who wants to fantasize or wish otherwise is engaging in a game of denial and pretend.

Total war involves nukes - is that what you are saying?  

Edited by BabaYaga

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ukraine has the same way out of this every other occupied country has taken - bleed the attackers to the point that they no longer see a viable alternative.  Vietnam.  Afghanistan (x2).  History is still the best teacher

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No -- perhaps I should have used the "conventional" predicate.

But then, I don't think we can count on that limitation.  I think that nukes remain a remote risk, but chemical weapons?  Shit, those become more likely every day.  A frustrated Putin will sure as shit use chemical weapons.  And at that point....the rest of the world has some tough decisions to make.

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Well since Ukraine gave up their nukes, that part of the equation is sort of out of their hands, isn't it? Unless you're suggesting they should stop kicking so much ass because Putin will then resort to nukes. Is that what you're suggesting?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

If you followed WW 2 in the East, this is SOP for the Russian Army.  

The atrocities of WWII are what we are trying to avoid.  Read about the treatment from German soldiers.  Or the sobering "Rape of Nanking".  Tens upon tens of millions of civilian deaths.  

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Well since Ukraine gave up their nukes, that part of the equation is sort of out of their hands, isn't it? Unless you're suggesting they should stop kicking so much ass because Putin will then resort to nukes. Is that what you're suggesting?

Neither.  I'm suggesting talks of "total war" with Russia are going to involve the Russians following their own written doctrine and employing the use of battlefield nukes.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

The atrocities of WWII are what we are trying to avoid.  Read about the treatment from German soldiers.  Or the sobering "Rape of Nanking".  Tens upon tens of millions of civilian deaths.  

That ship has sailed.  The only question is how many murdered passengers end up on it.  Russia's gameplan is "atrocities."  The world has learned/confirmed a lot about Russia these past few months. They will not forget those lessons.  Russia will not ever be dealt with as a viable counterparty ever again.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No -- perhaps I should have used the "conventional" predicate.

But then, I don't think we can count on that limitation.  I think that nukes remain a remote risk, but chemical weapons?  Shit, those become more likely every day.  A frustrated Putin will sure as shit use chemical weapons.  And at that point....the rest of the world has some tough decisions to make.

Exactly, and as painful as it seems, containing this to Ukraine and supporting them in the defense of their own country is the goal.  Chem's were used in Syria.  We lobbed a few cruise missiles and called it a day.  Is that sufficient here?  I don't know?  We say F it, and give them our really "good" toys?  Maybe?  Predators with Hellfire's?  Seems appropriate.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That ship has sailed.  The only question is how many murdered passengers end up on it.  Russia's gameplan is "atrocities."  The world has learned/confirmed a lot about Russia these past few months. They will not forget those lessons.  Russia will not ever be dealt with as a viable counterparty ever again.

I vacillate on this.  It's difficult and emotional now.  But Russia has and always will control the region.  They are massive, as is their influence.  A safe and stable Russia is better than the alternative.  We talk platitudes about a "path back", but a fractured and broken state with the worlds largest stockpile of nukes is an even greater threat to the West.  

I don't know, but it's a hot mess.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Germany and much of Europe seems clear that they want a return quickly to the status quo.  They NEED Russia O&G desperately.  

They do.....but at the same time, they have been given rock-solid evidence that Russia cannot ever be a trusted trading partner.  Russia will literally do ANYTHING (pretty sure that "systematic rape and murder of civilians" gets us to "anything" level) if it feels it will be in its interest.  There is no such thing as a deal or contract with Russia.  There is no such thing as good faith trade with Russia.  Russia will only follow whatever rules/norms it is forced to follow, at gunpoint.

You wanna rely on that party as one of your largest trading partners?  Germany was naive for a long while; that worldview is no longer supportable, even with a bucketful of wishful thinking thrown in.

Do business with Russia at your peril.  The moment that Russia can hold you hostage for its advantage, it will.  The smart answer is "end your entanglements with Russia fucking ASAP."  Surely some trading partners will not be that smart.  But a number of them will.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They do.....but at the same time, they have been given rock-solid evidence that Russia cannot ever be a trusted trading partner.  Russia will literally do ANYTHING (pretty sure that "systematic rape and murder of civilians" gets us to "anything" level) if it feels it will be in its interest.  There is no such thing as a deal or contract with Russia.  There is no such thing as good faith trade with Russia.  Russia will only follow whatever rules/norms it is forced to follow, at gunpoint.

You wanna rely on that party as one of your largest trading partners?  Germany was naive for a long while; that worldview is no longer supportable, even with a bucketful of wishful thinking thrown in.

Do business with Russia at your peril.  The moment that Russia can hold you hostage for its advantage, it will.  The smart answer is "end your entanglements with Russia fucking ASAP."  Surely some trading partners will not be that smart.  But a number of them will.

Hoping they can and will, but that could take decades to completely unwind their dependence....which of course was a part of the calculus in the decision to invade in the first place.  As a part of any contingency planning, any dependency must be evaluated as being potentially exploited.  

We are probably going to see a decline in globalism and a spike in defense spending.  A potential silver lining is a return to domestic manufacturing and less dependency on bad faith actors like China and Russia.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The moment that Russia can hold you hostage for its advantage, it will.

As China did with us early on the pandemic with PPE gear.  Fuckers......

We need to get off the tit as well and give Taiwan sharks with laser beams and every other cool toy we can part with.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Hoping they can and will, but that could take decades to completely unwind their dependence....which of course was a part of the calculus in the decision to invade in the first place.  As a part of any contingency planning, any dependency must be evaluated as being potentially exploited.  

We are probably going to see a decline in globalism and a spike in defense spending.  A potential silver lining is a return to domestic manufacturing and less dependency on bad faith actors like China and Russia.  

I think we'll see both.  I think we'll see a fundamental re-ordering of globalism.  Your major trading partners should be either 1) counterparties you can trust (that is, stable democracies), and (and this is full machiavellian here) 2) counterparties you can control/dominate (think Honduras, El Salvador, etc.).

China may end up rather pissed off at the long-term effects of this, particularly re-shoring of some manufacturing.  BUT, what took decades to build will take a similar amount of time to unwind.

• Hook 'Em 3

As China did with us early on the pandemic with PPE gear.  Fuckers......

We need to get off the tit as well and give Taiwan sharks with laser beams and every other cool toy we can part with.  

gloves are still priced about 5X higher than pre-Covid

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think we'll see both.  I think we'll see a fundamental re-ordering of globalism.  Your major trading partners should be either 1) counterparties you can trust (that is, stable democracies), and (and this is full machiavellian here) 2) counterparties you can control/dominate (think Honduras, El Salvador, etc.).

China may end up rather pissed off at the long-term effects of this, particularly re-shoring of some manufacturing.  BUT, what took decades to build will take a similar amount of time to unwind.

What I see happening is the longer Russia is bled out, the more dependent they are going to be with China.....which is not good for the West.  

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I mean, my Mother in law was Latvian and born in a displaced persons camp after VE Day.  I’m all too aware. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

This can't be coincidental, can it?

Nokia joins Ericsson as telecom giants leave Russia.

Nokia, whose telecommunications equipment plays an important role providing internet and communications in Russia, said on Tuesday that it was exiting the country because of the invasion of Ukraine.

The announcement came after the company had already suspended deliveries, stopped new business and begun moving research and development work out of Russia because of the war. Nokia, based in Finland, has been a leading manufacturer of telecommunications equipment used by Russian companies to provide internet and wireless services.

Word of the departure closely follows a similar announcement by Ericsson, a rival Swedish telecommunications equipment maker, which said on Monday that it would also exit Russia. The departure of the two companies could cause difficulties as Russia seeks to expand and maintain its telecommunications networks, which are built with equipment from the two firms.

Last month, The New York Times reported on Nokia’s role in allowing its wireless networks to connect to a vast government surveillance apparatus used by the country’s intelligence service. Documents revealed that the company knew how its technology was used as part of the surveillance network, which has been criticized by human rights groups and European courts.

Nokia denied wrongdoing.

On Tuesday, Nokia said it was concerned about deteriorating internet access inside Russia as independent sources of information become harder to find inside the country. Nokia said it was applying for licenses that comply with Western sanctions in order to provide maintenance for existing networks.

The two Nordic firms’ largest telecom rival, the Chinese giant Huawei, has not said whether it will continue to operate inside Russia. Rebuffed by the United States in recent years, it has poured resources into research and development there.

Huawei stands to gain much of the market after Ericsson and Nokia’s departures, but analysts have warned that new sanctions on Russia could limit its ability to work in the country.

If Nokia donate their phones to the Ukrainian soldiers who are out of ammunition this Putin's invasion is done by Friday. 

• Haha 1