Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I love the logical fallacy of "just because Ukrainians are being invaded and Russia is trying to wipe them off the earth doesn't mean that people are allowed to have negative sentiment towards Russia right now." Like those 2 things have nothing to do with each other. It's insanity. And if you think that then yeah maybe this thread isn't the thread for you. 

I don’t think that, but I think your moderation has gotten more aggressive and angry lately, and I don’t think that is a good thing.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

CNN was running a story this morning "Zelensky hints at concessions" and had a map showing what concessions would look like. Did that actually come from Zelensky or a US government representative? It seemed out of place for Zelensky saying something like this now.

Separately, 9 volunteer aid workers were taken prisoner by the Russians.

39 minutes ago, immamac said:

I love the logical fallacy of "just because Ukrainians are being invaded and Russia is trying to wipe them off the earth doesn't mean that people are allowed to have negative sentiment towards Russia right now." Like those 2 things have nothing to do with each other. It's insanity. And if you think that then yeah maybe this thread isn't the thread for you. 

Go ahead and put me down as anti Russian after what was done in Bucha and what’s being done to women and children. Fuck every one of them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Want to know why I'm angry at Russia?  Russian influencers are using their platforms for this...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/10/world/europe/chanel-russian-influencers-ukraine.html

This is fucking ridiculous given what was going on in Bucha right before.  They give no shit that their government has invaded a sovereign country, committed war crimes with what appears to be the express goal of genocide.  Disgusting.  They could use their platform in a responsible manner, but rather use it to show what selfish cunts they are.

10 hours ago, immamac said:

What? Report the posts - brisket uses extreme hyperbole in his posting style quite a bit (basically all the time). Are you suggesting some of his posts aren't hyperbole? 

i'm not suggesting anything. i'm just pointing out a fact. and by the way, why would i report it? it isn't breaking any rules, it's just an opinion i don't agree with. 

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I do think that we should functionally shut off relations with Russia, and that includes not recognizing Russian passports. If you are here on a Russian passport, you should choose: ask for asylum, or go back to your home country.
Not ethnic Russians - actual Russians here on Russian passports.

57 minutes ago, immamac said:

you're a moron. people are questioning the sentiment that if you are russian you should be uprooted from your life abroad and shipped back to russia.

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you're a moron. people are questioning the sentiment that if you are russian you should be uprooted from your life abroad and shipped back to russia.

Who is advocating for that? I don't recall reading anything like that in this thread 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Uprooted from your life? You mean the permissions and privileges granted to permanent citizens of another country as a non-permanent resident in a different country being revoked because of an ongoing conflict which involves the most significant sanctions since anyone under 35 has been alive? 

It seems like you are the moron and don't understand what Brisket said. I don't share that opinion, but it's not maniacal - it's certainly the most extreme form of peaceful sanction. 

I have not seen any anti Russian ethnic based hatred here, and there are plenty of people supporting Russians who are against the conflict. Russophobia isn't fake news, but it isn't prevalent and is being misconstrued with alignment with official Russian government policy. I know it's hard to fathom or believe, but the official government of a superpower has put in writing and announced in many public speaking events that are recorded and broadcast all over the world that they are cleansing Ukraine and we have hard evidence of genocide being acted upon after these statements. It is absolutely okay to be hostile towards Russia right now. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Uprooted from your life? You mean the permissions and privileges granted to permanent citizens of another country as a non-permanent resident in a different country being revoked because of an ongoing conflict which involves the most significant sanctions since anyone under 35 has been alive? 

Yes. That.

It seems like you are the moron and don't understand what Brisket said. I don't share that opinion, but it's not maniacal - it's certainly the most extreme form of peaceful sanction. 

Can you read? I said precisely exactly that.

I have not seen any anti Russian ethnic based hatred here, and there are plenty of people supporting Russians who are against the conflict. Russophobia isn't fake news, but it isn't prevalent and is being misconstrued with alignment with official Russian government policy. I know it's hard to fathom or believe, but the official government of a superpower has put in writing and announced in many public speaking events that are recorded and broadcast all over the world that they are cleansing Ukraine and we have hard evidence of genocide being acted upon after these statements. It is absolutely okay to be hostile towards Russia right now. 

Not really interested in dissecting the giant straw man above (which you resort to anytime you're called to the mat because you aren't very good at defending your positions by the way)...but, uh, i'm the guy that's gone on record saying i'd be executing russian soldiers that surrendered on the battlefield right now...does that pass your Russian hostility meter?

But back to the topic at hand...suggesting Russians living abroad (most of whom have fled because they disagree with Putin and want to raise their families in a place free from authoritarian rule) should be rounded up and shipped back to Russia is an extreme position and one that I hope others here don't agree with. Is it ok that I say that? Or would you like to ban me for trolling?

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I mean, Brisket said this - " If you are here on a Russian passport, you should choose: ask for asylum, or go back to your home country."

Do you think that aligns with your post? Who is saying "should be uprooted from your life abroad and shipped back to Russia." Most of the Russian expats here would likely choose 1, especially with our immigration system.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

I mean, Brisket said this - " If you are here on a Russian passport, you should choose: ask for asylum, or go back to your home country."

Do you think that aligns with your post? Who is saying "should be uprooted from your life abroad and shipped back to Russia." Most of the Russian expats here would likely choose 1, especially with our immigration system.

I'm too lazy to go back and find them, but that's not at all what he has said previously...which i think he realized, in hindsight, was a position at odds with his beliefs, and thus the walk back you quoted.

• Fuck You 1

56 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Go ahead and put me down as anti Russian after what was done in Bucha and what’s being done to women and children. Fuck every one of them. 

40 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm not suggesting anything. i'm just pointing out a fact. and by the way, why would i report it? it isn't breaking any rules, it's just an opinion i don't agree with. 

38 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

31 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Who is advocating for that? I don't recall reading anything like that in this thread 

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yes. That.

Not really interested in dissecting the giant straw man above (which you resort to anytime you're called to the mat because you aren't very good at defending your positions by the way)...but, uh, i'm the guy that's gone on record saying i'd be executing russian soldiers that surrendered on the battlefield right now...does that pass your Russian hostility meter?

But back to the topic at hand...suggesting Russians living abroad (most of whom have fled because they disagree with Putin and want to raise their families in a place free from authoritarian rule) should be rounded up and shipped back to Russia is an extreme position and one that I hope others here don't agree with. Is it ok that I say that? Or would you like to ban me for trolling?

This is a worthy discussion.  Perhaps take it to the CR thead?  Seems to fit better there, no?  Let's not ruin a good thing over here.

• Hook 'Em 7

24 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yes. That.

you aren't even close to trolling - you are asking hard questions the right way, what makes you think you are even close to trolling? 

I wouldn't read too much into this - they are probably using this to try and rebuild the wrecked/undermanned BTGs, because if these were functioning BTGs, they'd be dumbasses for not throwing them into the fight right now to relieve their current units and/or exploit any openings, rather than waiting around for the Ukrainians to get more forces into the area.

But then again, Russian military, so the dumbass angle could apply.

People are surprised at how much video the Ukrainians are getting, but I guess this is the first war where somebody is releasing their artillery spotting footage like this.  US has had artillery-spotting drones since the 1980s (the USS Missouri battleship fired hundreds of rounds in the first Gulf War, helped by her drone(s)).

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm too lazy to go back and find them, but that's not at all what he has said previously...which i think he realized, in hindsight, was a position at odds with his beliefs, and thus the walk back you quoted.

I’m from Buenos Aries and I say kill them all.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's like the Ukrainian version of Yakety Sax (Benny Hill theme for your unrefined heathens).  Takes about 15 seconds into the video before it plays.
You can even see when they hear the incoming shells and they scatter.
200.gif

Meh, I thought they would adjust their fire to get the Russians as well.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I'm a monster for hoping that the artillery would start walking towards the guys fleeing.

I kept waiting for machine guns to mow them down. Would have been a great tweet to send to the Kremlin.

CHIEF

I think the level of video footage being released is as much of a function of tech being more integrated into the military as it is of tech being integrated into the populace as well. 

We are in an age where impromptu videos of mundane or everyday life are common and even military actions are becoming a mundane occurrence in the Ukraine. 

Early on many of these we’re probably directed propaganda to continue to “win” the information war and help with both morale at home and to show their allies that the weapons being sent are useful and effective. Now it has taken on a life of its own (most likely with full support of those directing the information war) and many of the quick clips are just guys from the front wanting to post a cool viral clip or to show those back home what this war is really like.

The artillery and drone targeting footage is fairly controlled, but even that is now more to keep other videos coming than to be truly informative.

The new age information war is interesting to watch and in many ways might actually make it much harder to commit the atrocities from past wars and claim ignorance. Real time or near real time video with location tracking and facial recognition makes documentation infinitely easier. 

Just the ability to aggregate Russian equipment losses via video and pictures in itself is amazing. 

This has been talked about a lot, but sounds like Finland is close, with talks over the next month, and then application in June, and probably Sweden as well.

Also, the Finnish Prime Minister, this woman has dragons at her disposal.  Actually, fire-breathing dragons.  I'm not asking for a debate, because I just know it.  Putin may have nukes, but she has motherfucking dragons.

nVxzDAM9?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This has been talked about a lot, but sounds like Finland is close, with talks over the next month, and then application in June, and probably Sweden as well.

Also, the Finnish Prime Minister, this woman has dragons at her disposal.  Actually, fire-breathing dragons.  I'm not asking for a debate, because I just know it.  Putin may have nukes, but she has motherfucking dragons.

I'd be ok with her dragon me into the bedroom... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

(full disclosure: i am not a military strategist): can you airdrop munitions and small arms into the city?

A few pages back, it was mentioned that the Ukes waltzed right in, and resupplied them a few days ago. Not sure if it was by land, air, or sea. It sucks they are running low again. Probably won't be as easy this time.

CHIEF

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

(full disclosure: i am not a military strategist): can you airdrop munitions and small arms into the city?

The challenge is any aircraft large enough to carry enough supplies to make a difference would be an easy target for RU SAMs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

more whining by Russians. I guess they could go back right? 

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I have an alternate take. It’s pretty nuanced and sophisticated, so stick with me here….

1: fuck em.

2: deport em to Russia.

3: fuck em again.

Thank you for tuning into my Ted talk.

21 hours ago, futureman said:

they are protesting being discriminated against for no other reason than being russian. 

21 hours ago, immamac said:

#alllivesmatter

21 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm saying maybe right now isn't the time to be a proud Russian. Shut the fuck up and be European, no one wants Russian bullshit right now in Europe because they are destabilizing the entire fucking continent and committing atrocities. Just like it was inappropriate for the white supremacists movement to protest not being able to be racist when #blacklivesmatter happened. 

So yeah, there isn't any sympathy for Russians right now- in fact they are sanctioned to hell and back. 

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Then perhaps they shouldn’t have paraded around Berlin last week flying Russian flags in support of the war.
Quietly being an ethnic Russian? No sweat. Flying the flag of a country currently gleefully committing genocide? Not the BEST plan for garnering sympathy.

13 hours ago, immamac said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Can you read? Where have I or anyone else in this thread said anything like that about Russian people just for being Russian? Futureman was legit trolling. IDC if people want to discuss the merits of russophobia as it relates to the conflict, futureman was no longer doing that. 

Straight up. 

you need to re-read what you posted.  you might not realize it but you were the worst offender.  #alllivesmatter in response to an objection of broad-based russian prejudice? you're doing exactly what you accused futureman of doing. you've been the worst poster in the past 5 pages and you don't realize it.  maybe you should ban yourself.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I do think that we should functionally shut off relations with Russia, and that includes not recognizing Russian passports. If you are here on a Russian passport, you should choose: ask for asylum, or go back to your home country.
Not ethnic Russians - actual Russians here on Russian passports.
And as for repercussions for Russians parading around Berlin waving Russian flags and cheering for a genocidal army…yeah, I’m good with a “fuck em” for those people, too. Actions have consequences.

read the original article Inka posted.  that's not what happened.  german authorities stopped those supporting the invasion from coming to this rally.  

"I came here because I support peace," Ozan Yilmaz, 24, told AFP. "Children are beaten at school because they speak Russian, that's not acceptable."

Lubeck police said they had stopped a convoy of around 60 vehicles because it broke the law by expressing support for "Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine" and using "banned symbols".

You ignorant slut. She has Dragoon’s at her disposal. Well that’s what Brisket keeps telling her.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

There actually is no British nuclear football.

The British nuclear deterrent is entirely submarine-based.  And it is envisioned that the only time in which British nuclear weapons would be used is in response to a Russian first strike.  So it basically operates off a dead-man's switch.

In the event of a Russian first strike against the United Kingdom, the Cabinet would go down to a bunker underneath the Ministry of Defence from which nuclear weapons would be commanded.  If the bunker did not survive and the submarines are unable to reach the Admiralty, then the captain opens the Letters of Last Resort.

. . . Ok--and here's where it all gets very, very British: At the beginning of a PM's term, s/he writes four identical Letters of Last Resort (one for each of the Royal Navy's SSBNs), which are locked in a safe aboard the submarine.  The Letters give the instructions for what to do if the submarine cannot contact the UK.  It is reported that they fall into one of four categories: 1) Retaliate; 2) Do not retaliate; 3) Exercise the captain's judgment; or 4) Put the submarine under the command of an allied navy (usually identified as either the U.S. or the Australian Navy).  When the Letters are not opened at the end of the PM's term, they are destroyed.

5) Avenge Harold Godwinson, you know what to do. 

• Hook 'Em 3

A few pages back, it was mentioned that the Ukes waltzed right in, and resupplied them a few days ago. Not sure if it was by land, air, or sea. It sucks they are running low again. Probably won't be as easy this time.
CHIEF

Helos skimming the waves over the Azov Sea to stay under radar. Took a few weeks for RU to spot it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

read the original article Inka posted.  that's not what happened.  german authorities stopped those supporting the invasion from coming to this rally. 

And mea culpa for my lack of clarity -- I was not speaking to the Russian speakers alone; I was speaking to exactly that sort of pro-Russian protest convoy mentioned in the article, because it pissed me off.

Lubeck was a divided community during the cold war, by the way.  Interesting ancient city, we visited it a few months ago.  Also, the only place I've seen a German cop really hassling someone on the street.  Who was he hassling?  Literally the only black dude we saw the entire time we were in Lubeck.  Some things are universal.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's like the Ukrainian version of Yakety Sax (Benny Hill theme for your unrefined heathens).  Takes about 15 seconds into the video before it plays.

You can even see when they hear the incoming shells and they scatter.

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Fuckin Usain Bolt up there at the top

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

"I came here because I support peace," Ozan Yilmaz, 24, told AFP. "Children are beaten at school because they speak Russian, that's not acceptable."

Lubeck police said they had stopped a convoy of around 60 vehicles because it broke the law by expressing support for "Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine" and using "banned symbols".

How come you didn't quote the second guy after Ozan who said "it's not appropriate to talk about Russia attacking Ukraine because the war has been going on since 2014?

Sebastian, 25, was also in the pro-Russia crowd. "The war didn't start this year," he said.

"It has been going on since 2014 and so I find that speaking of an attack" against Ukraine by Russia is "not really appropriate".

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's hard to get weapons to a besieged city.  I actually expected this much sooner.

Not good though. I wouldn't be waiting around like in the Alamo. I would try to make a break to the West rather than wait for Russians to enter and try hand to hand combat.