Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Read an interesting interview today with Natalia Zubarevich in the Czech press. She is a really well regarded economic geographer who stayed in Russia but has been a fairly outspoken Putin critic.  A few items of note:

- Capital controls are keeping the ruble artificially stable but on some level they are working. Russia won’t have a deficit this year or next. 

- The real bite will come in two-three years as Europe moves from gas and oil. European politicians will be frustrated that they don’t get sanctions results as soon as they want, they need to hold on for them to impact. 

- Russia has the money to finance war at the current level and to provide some assistance to combat inflation for about two years. 

- Until 24 February about 40 percent of Russia’s state revenue was from oil and gas. Since then, it has jumped to 65 percent.  The Russian state has become effective at getting taxes out of the O&G concerns. 

- Biggest quick impact of sanctions is in the auto industry and sales. They are working with tech from the 1990s now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

At first I was a fan of blowed-up Russian Generals. Then I thought, these are the dumb bastards who got where they are because of political skill, not war-fighting skill. They are the ones overseeing this inept tardation attack plan that mostly isn't working.

But somewhere down the ranks, there'll be somebody actually good at leading the fight, somebody with some natural battlefield qualities, but he topped out at a lower rank because he was insufficiently Soviet kiss-ass.

I actually think the Ukrainians should keep some of the incompetent Russian generals alive, to prevent any potential good ones from rising up to replace them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

At first I was a fan of blowed-up Russian Generals. Then I thought, these are the dumb bastards who got where they are because of political skill, not war-fighting skill. They are the ones overseeing this inept tardation attack plan that mostly isn't working.

But somewhere down the ranks, there'll be somebody actually good at leading the fight, somebody with some natural battlefield qualities, but he topped out at a lower rank because he was insufficiently Soviet kiss-ass.

I actually think the Ukrainians should keep some of the incompetent Russian generals alive, to prevent any potential good ones from rising up to replace them.

nah.  it's the soviet kiss asses that are the ones that are insisting they be there in the first place.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Putin won't allow anybody in the upper ranks that is incredibly competent and smart - that would present a huge threat to he and his former KBG/Saint Petersburg cronies.  Can't have somebody running things, who might get a chunk of the military behind him.

Trophy T-80U in the service of the Armed Forces.

SBU officers detained a former DNR member who was trying to get a job in the Armed Forces. June 2022.

^??? Obviously they immediately saw him as a spy, but maybe he truly wanted to switch sides?

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

That strike on that ammo dump

Beavis And Butthead 90S Tv GIF

As for painting over the numbers, I'm guessing they are trying to shut down the OSINT folks tracking losses.  A lot more Russians are able to access the various OSINT websites than Russia would like.

Or they could be trying to disguise the actual number of aircraft they still have flying, and where they are deployed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Narrator:  no,  there isn't. 

50 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Doesn’t this seem like a big deal? You know, when another leader visits the most sophisticated missile defense system in the world with Lloyd Austin…or does this shit happen all the time? Just curious…

Well it is partly Canadian

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1