Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I like that they are taking themselves out of play as enemy combatants.  Every cowardly Russian hiding in Georgia is just as good as a POW, KIA, or other draft dodger.  Let's let them do so....but they don't get cushy treatment as cowards with no principles.  

While there is logic to this line of reasoning, after a bit of thought I believe that every neighboring country that allows these draft dodgers to stay is setting themselves up for future trouble.  These guys will be sucking up resources from the places "hosting" them and chasing the local women.  Both of these will make them unwelcome, and locals will start letting them know.  Meanwhile, some of the men will get family members to join them.  These people will be typically Russian, and let everyone know about their superiority.  Eventually there will be the question, "When are you going home?"  Any answer will be not soon enough, and you'll have another population of Russians complaining that they are being "mistreated", laying the groundwork for the next round of Russian meddling.  No, better to go ahead and send them back now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

While there is logic to this line of reasoning, after a bit of thought I believe that every neighboring country that allows these draft dodgers to stay is setting themselves up for future trouble.  These guys will be sucking up resources from the places "hosting" them and chasing the local women.  Both of these will make them unwelcome, and locals will start letting them know.  Meanwhile, some of the men will get family members to join them.  These people will be typically Russian, and let everyone know about their superiority.  Eventually there will be the question, "When are you going home?"  Any answer will be not soon enough, and you'll have another population of Russians complaining that they are being "mistreated", laying the groundwork for the next round of Russian meddling.  No, better to go ahead and send them back now.

Yeah, no.  I don't want them taking up an AK-47 and going to Ukraine, even reluctantly.  If there's no other recourse, detain them as potential enemy combatants until the cessation of hostilities, THEN deport them.

Putin thinks he’s cosplaying World War II but he’s really cosplaying Russia in World War I. This mobilization is going to end up being a disaster for Russia and for him.  He is really staking everything on the nuclear threat after referendums because that’s the only hope he has to hold this new territory. 

Also, letting in hordes of military age Russian males is a huge security threat that these countries aren’t set up to handle. Sounds like a great way to get a bunch of SVR irregulars bouncing around stirring shit up, especially once Russia starts cracking down on the border controls. Always be careful of who is able to get out of places like that. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, no.  I don't want them taking up an AK-47 and going to Ukraine, even reluctantly.  If there's no other recourse, detain them as potential enemy combatants until the cessation of hostilities, THEN deport them.

Set up internment centers with basic food and shelter, allow no communication with Russia and no contact with the locals, shoot escapees on sight.  It might work.

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Putin thinks he’s cosplaying World War II but he’s really cosplaying Russia in World War I. This mobilization is going to end up being a disaster for Russia and for him.  He is really staking everything on the nuclear threat after referendums because that’s the only hope he has to hold this new territory. 

Bingo.  Which is why there are only two ways out of this: internal violent governmental collapse in Russia, or a nuclear strike in Ukraine.  Either one of which is the end of the Russian regime (I don't think a tactical nuke strike is met with a nuclear counter-strike.....but the response, both military and economic, will not be survivable).

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Also, letting in hordes of military age Russian males is a huge security threat that these countries aren’t set up to handle. Sounds like a great way to get a bunch of SVR irregulars bouncing around stirring shit up, especially once Russia starts cracking down on the border controls. Always be careful of who is able to get out of places like that. 

Agreed.  So, detain them.

7 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Set up internment centers with basic food and shelter, allow no communication with Russia and no contact with the locals, shoot escapees on sight.  It might work.

The problem here is that (most of) these are countries with constitutions and treaties and courts and laws that actually function even when not convenient. And they aren’t at war with Russia and declaring all Russians enemy combatants would fail when challenged.  There’s no legal authority to detain masses of Russians in the equivalent of POW camps— not any more than there would be if they started showing up here. 

Let Russian men who don’t want to fight in Ukraine do something about it at home or surrender to Ukraine when they get there. You don’t get asylum in Europe. 

• Hook 'Em 5

There have been some pretty good articles describing how the pain of economic sanctions, while covered up and propped up as best Putin can, are really going to start kicking in in the fourth quarter of 2022. I was just thinking about that timeline, and how this mobilization will advance and exacerbate the upcoming economic pain. Essentially, Putin has disengaged a hell of a lot of breadwinners from the Russian economy with the mobilization.

He has shipped them off to be additional burdens on the now out-of-control Russian military expenditure.  At least one video shows a recruiter telling the conscripted that their jobs will be waiting for them when they get back. When they get back (better, or if they get back), the economy will have tanked and those jobs will be gone.  

Russia is well and truly fucked. Whatever future those Z supporting assholes thought they had will be far more bleak and long lasting than they could ever have imagined.  They will blame somebody, and it won’t be themselves or their leaders. They will probably blame it all on the west, on NATO, and on traitors within Russia. I hope we are working on what to do about all of those nukes when the Russian federation collapses.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  If you are fleeing Russia because of cowardice, not principles (that is, if you oppose YOU fighting in this war, but you have no problem with RUSSIA fighting in this war), then you should have to surrender EVERYTHING when you cross that border.  EVERYTHING.

I hear you but I would think the vast majority are just regular poor people trying to live their life and don't want to die because they were born in a country with a nutjob dictator.  I'm sure most are literally giving up everything.   I certainly don't know what the solution is as the neighboring countries don't have the resources to take them on but a shitty situation.

This guy has been a good follow for young/normal Russian perspective over the past 6 months.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

This guy has been a good follow for young/normal Russian perspective over the past 6 months.

I think that poor guy may wind up being a collateral damage victim of the Russian mobilization refugee invasion - and ultimately lose his apartment and safe place because he picked the wrong time to be a young Russian male in Georgia. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Russia is well and truly fucked. Whatever future those Z supporting assholes thought they had will be far more bleak and long lasting than they could ever have imagined.  They will blame somebody, and it won’t be themselves or their leaders. They will probably blame it all on the west, on NATO, and on traitors within Russia.

So they are aggy?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Can we reevaluate that whole napalm thing? Large groups of Russian infantry sound like a great target for a line of Ukrainian jets doing Vietnam cosplay.

The drone dropping grenades thing seems to work well.  I can’t imagine having that hanging over your head (literally).

Speaking of aerial stuff, as mentioned, they have NASAMS deployed, and protecting Kharkiv.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

All these thousands of men trying to push their way out of Russia, what do they think would happen if they all instead went to the Russian government and had themselves a revolution?  

the force that would stop them is so depleted it is the force that they are being mobilized to backfill. 

and whatever strength they keep in Moscow probably isn’t too keen on being next on a train to Ukraine. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Putin should just send all those thousands of macho cops to fight in the meat grinder instead. 
No shortage of those asshole bullies apparently.

36 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Niiice sucker punch

How much longer before the "recruiters" turn a corner and get beaten by recruits. How much longer before they are picked off one by one, then en masse? And how much longer before "recruiters" start shooting into protestors to protect themselves or exact revenge?

This is either going to be a TienAnMen Square massacre or a Romanian style revolution where Putin is captured and executed by firing squad.

Edited by Superhero