Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Well, that was the pretext with Ukraine, too, with the added “denazify” aim. People forget that while Russia overwhelmed Georgia in 2008, their military did not perform as well as expected or how Putin wanted.  

I believe that Georgia was a trial run for Ukraine, I think that Russia has been laying the groundwork for this ever since. And I think that the Georgia experience is partly why he went with his whole “decapitation”’plan instead of dedicating the resources he needed.  And, I think that Biden’s election played a huge role, in that he needed to strike before transatlantic ties got repaired and while European Allies were still wary of trusting us. 

If he had just done a De-Nazification of Donbas and Luhansk ("for Russian speaking people"0 I think it would have succeeded as the West's ire, concern and support for Ukraine would have been much less.

It is like the story about throwing a frog into a pot of boiling water and the frog jumps out, or putting a frog in a pot of luke warm water and slowly heating it to a boil.  In the latter the frog stays and dies as the gradual increase does not cause a reaction.

My take is Putin's health, and health concerns, played a big role in choosing to throw the frog into the boiling pot as he is worried about his time and his legacy.   And of course he has set it up to only be told what he wants to hear and he did not engage his military deeply in the planning and analysis.  Which led him to believe it would work.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Damn boy your idea of "meat" is a bit gristly. But I guess in Louisiana they even got recipes for hair.

I'd think they'd dress out at a good bit less than 170, except for some of those fat-ass pilots.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

To be fair it wasn't the Macedonians' first tour in Afghanistan.

Not forgotten. It was one reason they could move around a bit more freely. We used a Macedonian moat in Helmand as a range. 

Check out the Afghan Campaign if you want a good read about the Mac's. Damn fine troops. Always there when called. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

How hard is it to actually hold a front for Russia here?  Is intel good enough that they can position people in real time where the threats are to bust through the line -- effectively leaving the unthreatened parts empty?  Or do they have to man the whole thing all the time?

What @InkaUtexas said, plus my two kopeks:

I think the Russians have been trying to do this, and the Ukrainians have been fooling them.

Plus, even a well-trained army has to practice constantly to do coordinated moves of larger units, which aren't just the guys on the front line but includes the whole logistic "tail" that keeps them supported, fed, and supplied. The Russians probably couldn't do this smoothly or quickly even in peacetime.

What you mention is doable if you have mobile reserves, eg armored forces supported by infantry etc also armored up. These would work behind more static troops that "hold the line" and would work as "fire brigades" moving in to push back breakthroughs.

The new mobiks, in a sane army, could be dug-in and hard to shift if you didn't ask them to do too much. Then you could have those thousands of tanks grouped behind them, ready to counterattack.

But wait, those thousands of tanks got BLOWED UP SIR, lots of them doing solo runs in odd directions as if my high-school self had hijacked a Soviet tank and a bottle of Boone's Farm.

The fact that we are wargaming possible Russian defensive options 9 months into the blitzkrieg is telling.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I've switched to Khortytsa, a Ukrainian vodka.  It's incredible, and is cheaper than Tito's.  

I did a taste and smell test of different vodkas and Tito’s did not make the top 3.

If I was still a vodka drinker, I’d try the Ukrainian stuff, but whisky uber alles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I did a taste and smell test of different vodkas and Tito’s did not make the top 3.

If I was still a vodka drinker, I’d try the Ukrainian stuff, but whisky uber alles. 

I love whiskey, but I also love beer.  If I drink beer, I cannot also have more than 1 whiskey.  If I drink beer, I can have more than 1 vodka.   

I reserve my whiskey drinking for whiskey and whiskey alone. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Neutral spirit distinction talk not going away

Maybe it’s because I don’t have any Slavic blood in me (according to Ancestry.com and MyHeritage), and so I automatically trend towards beer (German and English ancestors) and rum (English Navy ancestors?), but it’s interesting to be exposed to vodka knowledge.

Damn boy your idea of "meat" is a bit gristly. But I guess in Louisiana they even got recipes for hair.
I'd think they'd dress out at a good bit less than 170, except for some of those fat-ass pilots.
First....you make a vodka roux......

BTW, the cheap vodka at the Kyiv airport a few years back:

68b628af73b9e6415a140e1105b7fe6a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If not Tito’s as noted above, go Polish.  Belvedere is a solid choice. 

If you’re going Polish, get your hands on some bootleg Zubrowka (bison grass) wódka, sadly not legal here because of the alleged narcotic properties of the bison grass. Mix with apple juice for a szarlotka (apple pie) shot that will make you forget your worries as well as “responsibilities” and “physics” as you realize the shit DOES taste like apple pie that’s not at all 80 proof.

Ukrainian horilka is vodka but they make some excellent tinctures. I am partial to the stuff with a hot chili, but honey is another good choice. Nemiroff is the standard if you can’t get your hands on the real clear whiskey jet fuel (samahon)— literally, “self-distilled.” If Zubrowka makes you forget you physics, samahon makes you remember it as you ponder how vomit can freeze so quickly on an Eastern European midnight, and the implications on your fragile meat sack of a body of not getting in from the cold successfully. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

First....you make a vodka roux......

BTW, the cheap vodka at the Kyiv airport a few years back:

68b628af73b9e6415a140e1105b7fe6a.jpg

That picture took me back down memory lane to working at a convenience store in Selma Alabama on Jeff Davis Avenue* next to the Food Stamp Office, and selling TBird to kindly gentlemen who would pay with handfuls of pennies. I soon learned not to bother counting the pennies; the amount was always exact. Thunderbird was only one of our fine wines. I remember Night Train Express, and Bull's Head Scuppernong Wine. There are associated stories untold.

*since renamed.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If you’re going Polish, get your hands on some bootleg Zubrowka (bison grass) wódka, sadly not legal here because of the alleged narcotic properties of the bison grass. Mix with apple juice for a szarlotka (apple pie) shot that will make you forget your worries as well as “responsibilities” and “physics” as you realize the shit DOES taste like apple pie that’s not at all 80 proof.

Ukrainian horilka is vodka but they make some excellent tinctures. I am partial to the stuff with a hot chili, but honey is another good choice. Nemiroff is the standard if you can’t get your hands on the real clear whiskey jet fuel (samahon)— literally, “self-distilled.” If Zubrowka makes you forget you physics, samahon makes you remember it as you ponder how vomit can freeze so quickly on an Eastern European midnight, and the implications on your fragile near sack of not getting in from the cold successfully. 

This is our "go to", with a pickle (yes, pickle) chaser... mmm

IMG_4841.HEIC

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ukrainian horilka is vodka but they make some excellent tinctures. I am partial to the stuff with a hot chili, but honey is another good choice. Nemiroff is the standard if you can’t get your hands on the real clear whiskey jet fuel (samahon)— literally, “self-distilled.” If Zubrowka makes you forget you physics, samahon makes you remember it as you ponder how vomit can freeze so quickly on an Eastern European midnight, and the implications on your fragile meat sack of a body of not getting in from the cold successfully. 

Have you ever tried Slivovitz Serbian plum brandy?  

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

That picture took me back down memory lane to working at a convenience store in Selma Alabama on Jeff Davis Avenue* next to the Food Stamp Office, and selling TBird to kindly gentlemen who would pay with handfuls of pennies. I soon learned not to bother counting the pennies; the amount was always exact. Thunderbird was only one of our fine wines. I remember Night Train Express, and Bull's Head Scuppernong Wine. There are associated stories untold.

*since renamed.

Manischewitz?  Or too…ethnic for a Jeff Davis blvd?

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Have you ever tried Slivovitz Serbian plum brandy?  

Yep, and I’ve tried all the other fruit brandies that are made from the Balkans up through Slovakia and Moravia.  As usual, the village brew has a nastier kick and is often better than the super market bottles.

Slivovica- plum 

Hruskovica- pear

Marhulovica-  apricot

Borovicka- Juniper (Slovak specialty)

Orechovka- Walnut (fantastic)

Visnovica- Sour cherry 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Manischewitz?  Or too…ethnic for a Jeff Davis blvd?

I don't remember if we had Manischewitz, or if we did and it didn't seem weird enough to me for me to remember it.

Jeff Davis was the street's name but the store was a Rick's Cafe of wandering souls from around the earth, including those inclined to Manishewitzism.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1