Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

If this war action by Putin can instigate a sequence of events that leads to a more fractured east/west global economic system, then it will have accomplished quite a bit for Russia. Dollar hegemony, western geopolitical influence, balance of trade, these are goals Putin and xi seem to be aligned on.

I have seen this argument proposed by Russian apologists on other forums. I categorically reject it. If Russia and China desire a replacement for the USD as the global reserve currency (“solar hegemony”), the way to accomplish that is by shoring up domestic economic systems, in transparency and regulation, and not by rolling ranks across the border. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

minus Russian tanks 

The clearest signal Kazahkstan has ever sent concerning its orientation toward the West vis-a-vis Russia came a few years ago, when it changed the official alphabet of the Kazakh language from Cyrillic to Latin.

One wonders whether this is something the Ukrainians would undertake in the near future.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The clearest signal Kazahkstan has ever sent concerning its orientation toward the West vis-a-vis Russia came a few years ago, when it changed the official alphabet of the Kazakh language from Cyrillic to Latin.

One wonders whether this is something the Ukrainians would undertake in the near future.

Maybe, but I think it's currently advantageous for them to understand spoken and written Russian.  Unless/until the Russian state is completely destroyed, it will always pose an imminent danger to Ukraine (and many other countries).  Probably better for them to be able to understand and listen in, the next time Russia decides to be a piece of dick.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Video of work with resets of the Soldiers of the 30th OMBr Glory to Ukraine! Death to the Russian invaders!

^First video is gruesome, just in time for Halloween 

The bank shot was lovely!   Kissing it high off the glass 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 separate Sicheslav Airborne Brigade send a "flaming salute" to the Russian invaders! The enemy infantry fighting vehicle and infantry were destroyed by well-aimed shots! Each hit target is another step towards victory. For brothers and sisters, for the people, for Ukraine! We will win!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm PRETTY sure I've mentioned around here how much Annalena adores me and wants to be with me, right?

Fga2tKHXkAESjeI?format=jpg&name=small

Next time the wife and I are in Berlin, she's definitely getting an invite to join us for dinner.  And if one thing leads to another, then so be it.

I see  a NowThis kind of night in your future.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's only been a few hundred years since Istanbul ruled what is now pretty much all the Ukrainian coast. That's like a week ago if you drink coffee with lots of grounds in it. I've never met a Turk, Greek, or [insert Balkan ethnic group] who wasn't constantly mulling over How Things Used To Be. Turks surely must consider the Black Sea their pond to patrol, and the Russians as heathen intruders.

Then there's that whole Turkish thing where if you fight well, they love you, even if they are fighting you back. The Ukrainians have proved worthy.

monica-denzel-washington.gif

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Video of work with resets of the Soldiers of the 30th OMBr Glory to Ukraine! Death to the Russian invaders!

12 hours ago, pops said:

I've seen both before but not with this quality. In the second, the grenade hit that dude in the leg and he just thought the sky was falling for a few brief moments.

14 hours ago, MillerEP said:

14 hours ago, pops said:

Y1rYIF.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Lol

I remember earlier this year when Putin the gambler decided to gut the training groups to get more soldiers into Ukraine, and one of the analysts mentioned that if Russia had to mobilize and train up large numbers, they were screwed.

Here we are in November and Putin needs Belarus to train his mobilized conscripts.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am firmly against this for a number of reasons. 

First, the Cyrillic alphabet is objectively better suited for most Slavic languages (it was designed for them, after all). Take a look at the clunky consonant combinations of Polish or multiple odd diacritical marks in Czech which are elegantly solved with one letter in a Cyrillic alphabet. 

Second, Kazakh is a horse of a different color. Kazakh is a Turkic language written in a borrowed Arabic script for centuries until the Soviets imposed a Cyrillic reform. A move to the Latin script is in line with what their Turkish linguistic cousins did, and Cyrillic was never a pillar of literary or written Kazakh. And it doesn’t really signal integration with the West; Kazakhstan remains firmly authoritarian and balanced between China, Russia, Turkey with a wary eye to the Muslim world and an transactional approach to the far-away “West.”

Most importantly, Cyrillic belongs as much to Ukraine, if not more so, than to the Russians. Ukrainian has never known another alphabet.  The language grew organically from Old East Slavonic to Ruthenian, to Ukrainian and the alphabet with it. It’s use in literature and holy texts and images— whether in the Eastern Rite Church (where the Slavonic liturgy was a hard won and jealously guarded compromise with Rome) or in Orthodoxy (which has deeper roots in Kyiv than Moscow).  Ukraine had a right to this heritage. It’s theirs, it’s not Russia, and they can belong to the community of Western ideas and still be Ukrainian. That’s the whole idea. 

Cyrillic is also decidedly not Russian in origin, but rather Bulgarian (with some borrowing from the alphabet created by Cyril and Methodius from Byzantium/current Greece). 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am firmly against this for a number of reasons. 

First, the Cyrillic alphabet is objectively better suited for most Slavic languages (it was designed for them, after all). Take a look at the clunky consonant combinations of Polish or multiple odd diacritical marks in Czech which are elegantly solved with one letter in a Cyrillic alphabet. 

Second, Kazakh is a horse of a different color. Kazakh is a Turkic language written in a borrowed Arabic script for centuries until the Soviets imposed a Cyrillic reform. A move to the Latin script is in line with what their Turkish linguistic cousins did, and Cyrillic was never a pillar of literary or written Kazakh. And it doesn’t really signal integration with the West; Kazakhstan remains firmly authoritarian and balanced between China, Russia, Turkey with a wary eye to the Muslim world and an transactional approach to the far-away “West.”

Most importantly, Cyrillic belongs as much to Ukraine, if not more so, than to the Russians. Ukrainian has never known another alphabet.  The language grew organically from Old East Slavonic to Ruthenian, to Ukrainian and the alphabet with it. It’s use in literature and holy texts and images— whether in the Eastern Rite Church (where the Slavonic liturgy was a hard won and jealously guarded compromise with Rome) or in Orthodoxy (which has deeper roots in Kyiv than Moscow).  Ukraine had a right to this heritage. It’s theirs, it’s not Russia, and they can belong to the community of Western ideas and still be Ukrainian. That’s the whole idea. 

Best A Loss For Words GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 7