Ryan Day replaces Urban Meyer at Ohio State

Machinator

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

based on the telecasts last year, they'll have him on to analyze coaches' body language and facial expressions

"right here Lincoln Riley is thinking 'I would rather fuck a dog than watch this goddamn defense try to stop another third down conversion, maybe I can fake a heart attack and get out of here' "

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN article on Recruiting:

Ryan Day, Ohio State

Day was the offensive coordinator for the Buckeyes in 2018, then took over as head coach when Urban Meyer officially retired on Jan. 1, 2019, following a 28-23 win over Washington in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual. Day didn't take over as head coach until January, but Meyer announced he was retiring on Dec. 4, which was 15 days before the early signing period.

That gave Day and his staff enough time to transition, communicate to committed prospects what was happening and try to keep them on board.

When Meyer announced his retirement, Ohio State had 15 commitments in the class and was ranked No. 11 in the class rankings. ESPN 300 wide receiver Garrett Wilson was the highest-ranked commit at No. 17 overall.

In those 15 days leading up to the early signing period, Day and the staff lost two commitments in the 2020 class, ESPN Junior 300 offensive lineman Jake Wray and ESPN Junior 300 safety Lejond Cavazos.

Since then, the Buckeyes have gained back two commitments in the 2020 class, ESPN Junior 300 wide receiver Gee Scott Jr. and offensive lineman Jakob James.

The 2019 class stayed together up until the first day of the early signing period, when ESPN 300 safety Jordan Battle flipped to Alabama and four-star quarterback Dwan Mathis switched to Georgia. That was the bad news, but there was also plenty of good news for Day and his staff.

Day was able to reel in five-star defensive end Zach Harrison, who is the No. 1-ranked prospect in Ohio. He pulled Harrison away from Michigan and Penn State in what was his first huge recruiting win as the Buckeyes' head coach. The staff signed all but one of its current 17 commitments in the class, and is trying to persuade the one holdout, ESPN 300 offensive lineman Doug Nester, to sign in February.

The class is now ranked two spots higher, at No. 13, than when Meyer announced his retirement in December.

While it won't show up in the recruiting rankings, Day should also get credit for fending off plenty of other programs to land Georgia transfer quarterback Justin Fields, who was the No. 1-ranked prospect in the 2018 class. Ohio State lost last season's starter Dwayne Haskins to the upcoming NFL draft, and plans to appeal for immediate eligible for Fields.

Overall, Day has done an excellent job in the last month and a half as head coach, and has shown there shouldn't be much drop-off on the recruiting trail after Meyer's departure.

30 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

What was their justification for immediate eligibility?

Privacy laws don't allow disclosure of reasons for NCAA's ruling...... but racist negative comments about Fields made by a Georgia Baseball player during a football game in Athens, Ga was what many feel would allow Fields to win his case.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Privacy laws don't allow disclosure of reasons for NCAA's ruling...... but racist negative comments about Fields made by a Georgia Baseball player during a football game in Athens, Ga was what many feel would allow Fields to win his case.

The comment was racist, but it was actually positive.

He was using "the N-word", but he was saying "Fromm sucks, put in the N*!"

A few times he called for them to put in the N* because he thought that he would be an improvement over Fromm.

*"New Sheriff!"(?)

/"Blazing Saddles"

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Yeah, Fields cited racist verbal attacks on campus for transferring. 

I’m guessing they force Bru to sit. Cause fuck the NCAA. 

The thing is that players have complained because a coach left after they committed & signed, but there has never been a case of:

1) New Coach was hired specifically to recruit Player A.
2) Player A does not sign an LOI with the the school, but signs financial aid forms.
3) Player A enrolls in school.
4) Next day New Coach resigns from school and takes a new job.
5) Player A's 2nd choice hasn't even started the semester yet.
6) Player A drops all of his classes and withdraws from school.
7) Player A gets Full Release from school.
8 ) Player A enrolls in his 2nd choice school and is a full-time student that same semester.
9) Player A never has any courses officially taken at the first school.

There is a whole lot of "This has never happened before AND the recruitment of Player A was absolutely made in bad faith from the point of the mercenary coach."

The fact that this case isn't just unique (all cases are unique), but that there hasn't been anything remotely close to this in the past makes me think that there is a shot that the NCAA will allow for immediate eligibility in order to avoid litigation and staining the reputation of not one, but TWO Football Blue Bloods.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s complete hypocrisy to limit how a player manages their career. Universities have been the beneficiaries of using a number of different methods from fudging test scores, to downright lying to keep their players eligible. And it has gone on for years. Including the era of segregation.

Do you honestly believe that every student athlete at any of the roughly 130 (D1) schools have actually passed all of their core classes? On their own? Fuck no! If you haven’t seen it, just ask anyone who has had classes with some of those dumb fucks.

Sure, there are many that manage well, some fucking excell. But many arrive on campus lacking the fundamental knowledge necessary to advance in a college environment. Many failed to complete their high school requirements simply because they are good at sports and were not penalized for failing to complete the work. And were simply fast tracked through the system.

College football (including basketball, and baseball) would be much different sports if that one simple element was stringently enforced.

But fuck it, no one seems to care. So fuck it, let them go wherever they want to go if their current situation doesn’t benefit them. The same with controlling their image. Fuck the school. If Wheaties wants to give a high school player a few million to use his likeness, fuck the NCAA. Those sorry fucks want it all.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

We had a player do that on social media just a couple days ago. It's probably just stipend money, but why tempt fate like this?

• 1 month later...

those tweets are funny too about 60% are calling him a soft pussy, entitled millennial, quitter......30% are just saying WTF and 10% are asking if fields is a soft pussy, entitled millennial, quitter too

and tOSU might be in a world of shit it looks like with urban they might have had the opposite of Alabama.....urban was the "good coach" that was always there for his players and the assistant coaches were the giant pricks and raging dick heads while at Alabama no one is going to take Nick's position as the biggest raging cock and all the assistants are suppose to be the ones that love the players and the players go to when they need a hug

with urban gone and day moving up it looks like tOSU has nothing but dickheads on the staff and they loaded up with some more from Michigan and other places too....nowhere for the players to go to, but OUT of the program

11 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

those tweets are funny too about 60% are calling him a soft pussy, entitled millennial, quitter......30% are just saying WTF and 10% are asking if fields is a soft pussy, entitled millennial, quitter too

and tOSU might be in a world of shit it looks like with urban they might have had the opposite of Alabama.....urban was the "good coach" that was always there for his players and the assistant coaches were the giant pricks and raging dick heads while at Alabama no one is going to take Nick's position as the biggest raging cock and all the assistants are suppose to be the ones that love the players and the players go to when they need a hug

with urban gone and day moving up it looks like tOSU has nothing but dickheads on the staff and they loaded up with some more from Michigan and other places too....nowhere for the players to go to, but OUT of the program

But Urban is also a dickhead?

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

But Urban is also a dickhead?

yes of course to average man on the streets....but his players think he is the greatest (until he is gone or until they move to the pros)

it is a comment on the inside of the programs not on the overall perception of the coach to everyone else

I am sure players think Nick is great too when they are out on the lake running out of gas on his boat, but when they are losing or not playing good shit is bad with Nick.....but with the assistants things might be bad too, but they are still there for a hug or whatever or to BS a player that he might get his position back if he stops fucking up

from what is going on with tOSU right now at least with QBs day sucks and is worse than Kliff was with retaining them......maybe I have it backwards and day is soft as fuck and giving 30 minute phone breaks every hour.....but something tells me he comes off as a dick to players based on past tOSU assistants

• 1 month later...

Check out Suckeyes Brand U program...

Buckeyes add elite receiver Fleming for 2020

May 31, 2019

Tom VanHaarenESPN Staff Writer

Wide receiver Julian Fleming, the No. 4-ranked recruit overall, has committed to Ohio State. Fleming, the top receiver in the 2020 class, chose the Buckeyes over Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Penn State and is the second five-star to commit to Ohio State in this cycle.

"For a while, I thought I was going to Penn State, then for a while I thought I was going to Clemson, and then I just finally settled down and figured it out," Fleming said. "It was just the at-home feeling and their players. [Ohio State] puts their players first and all my visits there, I had countless hours with all the players, so I really got the college vibe right away." His recruitment has gone back and forth, and for quite some time many believed that he would add to Clemson's impressive recruiting class. So much so that Fleming was recruited by the current Clemson commits and had to break the news to his peers that he wouldn't be joining them in college.

"I'm not going to lie, I'm still in their group chat," Fleming said. "They were all recruiting me really hard, but they understood and respected my decision, and once I told them I wasn't going to Clemson, they all said good luck. I talk to D.J. [Uiagalelei] all the time, and he's one of those kind-hearted people that was just like, 'You're going to do it wherever you go,' so that was a cool thing.". Fleming, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound wide receiver from Southern Columbia Area High School in Catawissa, Pennsylvania, joins five-star offensive tackle Paris Johnson Jr. in the class. Remarkably, Ohio State has landed at least one five-star commit in each of its classes going back to 2012.  This is the sixth five-star commit for the Buckeyes going back to the 2017 class, and Fleming is now adding another elite-level receiver to the future offense.

Ryan Day and his staff signed Garrett Wilson, the No. 2-ranked receiver; Ronnie Hickman, the No. 9 receiver; and Jameson Williams, the No. 15 wideout, in the 2019 class and now have the top-ranked receiver in 2020. Add that to the product already on the field and the success Ohio State saw on offense and Fleming is excited about joining and seeing success himself.  "Ohio State's offense was clicking last year; it was definitely a big influence," Fleming said. "They were like No. 1 in passing all year. They have Justin Fieldscoming in now, and they have some people that are going to be there for a little while.

Julian Fleming chose Ohio State in part because of its off-the-field programs. (Courtesy 3 Step Sports).  

Outside of the offense, Fleming was heavily influenced by the off-field programs Ohio State has set up for its players and the amount of focus in helping them after football.  The Buckeyes' art director, designer and brander, Samuel Silverman, developed a program called Brand U that takes players step-by-step through a branding exercise and helps them develop their own personal brand. The program can last all four years the player is on campus and has even bled over into players' time after college in whatever field they choose.  "The Brand U thing was really cool, and I like their real-life Wednesdays where they have speakers come in weekly," Fleming said. "Also, their internship program, they have one of the widest ones being able to send their players worldwide. Just to be able to get opportunities outside of football, so those are two things that stood out to me outside of football."

The Buckeyes help their players off the field, but they are helping themselves on the field by adding Fleming to this class. The commitment gives Ohio State seven ESPN 300 commitments and four prospects ranked in the top three of their position.  Fleming is a prospect who could come in and play right away, but although he is hoping that's the outcome, he is willing to wait his turn and work for an opportunity.  "I'm definitely going to try right away because they'll only have a couple solidified spots," Fleming said. "They lost three receivers this year; they'll probably lose one or two next year. I'm hoping to go make an immediate impact, that's always the goal, but if anything [else] happens, I'm just going to try to work my way up."

https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Fleming-46040058/

Edited by LTtxfan

Former Ohio State running back Brian Snead was dismissed from the university in November following a university investigation for a rape that was reported in September, according to a report by The Lantern's Edward Sutelan on Wednesday.

Though criminal charges were not filed, the university determined that Snead violated Ohio State's code of conduct on charges of "non-consensual sexual intercourse and non-consensual sexual contact," according to The Lantern. He was dismissed from the university on Nov. 27 due to the ruling.

During the investigation, Snead was allowed to practice with the Buckeyes, but he was suspended from games.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/06/104593/report-brian-snead-was-dismissed-from-ohio-state-in-november-following-rape-investigation

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, well, ours is called 4Ever Texas and it's Televised. 

I guess you missed the part where I said other schools are now emulating it.  RLW has been going on since Meyer arrived at Ohio State.  Good for Herman to bring a similar program to Texas.  It’s a fantastic thing to do. 

21 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I guess you missed the part where I said other schools are now emulating it.  RLW has been going on since Meyer arrived at Ohio State.  Good for Herman to bring a similar program to Texas.  It’s a fantastic thing to do. 

I think that what you missed was the joke. Maybe I should have ended my post with “suck it” and maybe a crotch chop to make it more obvious to you. 

• Machinator changed the title to Ryan Day replaces Urban Meyer at Ohio State